Lakers-Pacers Staring Contest May Last at Least 20 Games

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
emplay
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 11:00 am    Post subject: Lakers-Pacers Staring Contest May Last at Least 20 Games

Hey All,

ICYMI latest @BleacherReport Lakers-Pacers Staring Contest May Last at Least 20 Games https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10051018-lakers-pacers-staring-contest-may-last-at-least-20-games

Cheers,

EP
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 11:11 am    Post subject:

I think the Pacers can win this staring contest. If the Lakers start out 5-15, the noise will be deafening and the asking price will remain at 2 FRPs.

Lakers have much more to lose than the Pacers here IMO.
nomoreshaq
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 1:37 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
I think the Pacers can win this staring contest. If the Lakers start out 5-15, the noise will be deafening and the asking price will remain at 2 FRPs.

Lakers have much more to lose than the Pacers here IMO.

I'm pretty sure everyone in the league is projecting us to be a 8-10th seed. I think the fans have accepted this as well. I think the fans have also accepted that even a Turner/Hield trade does not make us a top 4 seed.

I'm convinced that we'd rather be a play-in team than trade both FRPs for that package.
emplay
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 3:32 pm    Post subject:

If the Lakers are like 12-8 and Pacers 3-17 and Turner asks out?

Very different circumstances - enough that LA may not even want to make a trade
BILBJH
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2022 8:53 am    Post subject:

From what I watched yesterday, we looked beyond a Turner and Hield from a title.

It could also work the other way... where we do so badly, that we just throw in the towel and go into rebuild mode.

I get that the first half was okay... but those new players were absolutely terrible. I'm not saying there weren't promising moments but they lost 35 points of ground to a mediocre team.

I don't know how LBJ and AD compete even if Russ is doing better. They need some sort of decent second unit and just adding Schroder and Walker won't help them beat Golden State.

So, if I were Indiana, maybe I try to get something in case the Lakers go down the tubes, before it's too late.
emplay
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 10:19 pm    Post subject:

So third-string Lakers didn't do well? That's relevant, how, exactly?

lol
GOODRICH25
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 11:57 am    Post subject:

I dont think Turner and Hield are difference makers enough to justify 2 FRP. Those can be used for a bigger fish later

17 99 19 22 44 13 25 Mic.
52 33 32 42 34 8 24 16 23 3
markjay
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2022 2:14 am    Post subject:

emplay wrote:

lol

Unfortunately, several of those guys are slated as key rotation players (Reaves, Bryant, Jones, Walker, JTA).
RI Laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2022 3:15 am    Post subject:

I agree that it depends on how fast the teams get out of the box. I think the Pacers would lose the staring contest because they realize at 20 games, we are inching closer to the Dec. 15th mark. They realize that the Lakers will have more opportunities to make trades because they can send out players that they can not move now and because there will be more (or at least different) teams looking to deal. Russ's contract also becomes more valuable (less time teams have to pay him). Let's not forget this is an unusual year for tanking. There really has not been a player since Lebron and Wiggins that teams will go all out to tank. I am thinking we may be surprised at who we can acquire. It is really beneficial if we do not do anything right now. Hopefully our guys are playing good enough at that time.

Last edited by RI Laker on Sat Oct 08, 2022 5:33 am; edited 1 time in total
ThreePointBomber
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2022 6:18 am    Post subject:

markjay wrote:
emplay wrote:

lol

Unfortunately, several of those guys are slated as key rotation players (Reaves, Bryant, Jones, Walker, JTA).

Rookie contract, Vet min, Vet Min, MLE, Vet min.

The only person who should be receiving scrutiny is Walker due to the amount of money he makes, but I'm not expecting minimum players to light it up. This is a front office/ownership issue for roster construction.
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2022 7:56 am    Post subject:

VujacicForThree wrote:
markjay wrote:
emplay wrote:

lol

Rookie contract, Vet min, Vet Min, MLE, Vet min.

The only person who should be receiving scrutiny is Walker due to the amount of money he makes, but I'm not expecting minimum players to light it up. This is a front office/ownership issue for roster construction.

Our 2nd, 3rd and G-league units just dropped 99 pts on Minnesota, it’s encouraging
calistrtballr
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2022 7:08 pm    Post subject:

Rob should have every team mega tanking on speed dial. The Wembanyama hype is real
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2022 9:24 pm    Post subject:

Think a win-less preseason will cause the Lakers to have second thoughts?
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2022 6:06 am    Post subject:

unleasHell wrote:
Think a win-less preseason will cause the Lakers to have second thoughts?

Not the preseason but more likely the first 11 games.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2022 8:05 am    Post subject:

I would guess that Indy doesn’t know that they are in a staring contest
emplay
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2022 11:02 am    Post subject:

They are well aware
hydrohead
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2022 5:06 pm    Post subject:

Of the teams that may be sellers, even the expanded list in this Tank-For-Wemby season, I don’t see a better talent pair to elevate the Lakers chances than Turner and Heild.
Also, Indiana is going to be in the lottery, and with the odds evening out amongst the bottom lotto teams (which is where Indiana will be) there isn’t THAT much more incentive to deal Turner and Hield no or later.
Hence, it’s still going to cost the Lakers 2 picks.

So why not make this trade now?
Kobe_Is_King13
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2022 8:35 pm    Post subject:

hydrohead wrote:
Of the teams that may be sellers, even the expanded list in this Tank-For-Wemby season, I don’t see a better talent pair to elevate the Lakers chances than Turner and Heild.
Also, Indiana is going to be in the lottery, and with the odds evening out amongst the bottom lotto teams (which is where Indiana will be) there isn’t THAT much more incentive to deal Turner and Hield no or later.

I don't think we trade 2 FRPs for Hield and Turner. It's a bad deal and will only get worse as the season moves on.

They simply aren't worth 2 FRPs and that was as true a month ago as it is now and will be going forward.

I think you should cozy up to the idea that if their asking price stays the same we wont be making a deal for Hield and Turner with them. There will be other deals or better opportunities in the offseason, but giving up vital assets for a marginal improvement is the path to sustained suckage.
hydrohead
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2022 6:27 am    Post subject:

Kobe_Is_King13 wrote:
hydrohead wrote:

I don't think we trade 2 FRPs for Hield and Turner. It's a bad deal and will only get worse as the season moves on.

They simply aren't worth 2 FRPs and that was as true a month ago as it is now and will be going forward.

I think you should cozy up to the idea that if their asking price stays the same we wont be making a deal for Hield and Turner with them. There will be other deals or better opportunities in the offseason, but giving up vital assets for a marginal improvement is the path to sustained suckage.

Well your value of Hield and Turner are low if you believe they will have marginal improvement. I think it will help the team significantly and I’m certainly not alone on that thought. And you seem to believe a team with Lebron and AD is part of “sustained suckage”.
So for those who actually believe we have a chance, why wait?
J.C. Smith
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2022 6:58 am    Post subject:

The early indications in preseason make me believe that trade would be worthwhile. For multiple reasons.

• There is a logjam at guard. Russ is the best overall player of that group, but he isn't the best fit. Moving him would open up minutes for Nunn, Schroder, Walker, and Reaves.
  • The Lakers are light on Wings and Hield can play the 2 or the 3. He's played better at small forward than he did at guard last season.
  • Hield would help address the Lakers lack of shooting consistent shooting.
  • The Lakers centers have been underwhelming this preseason. Turner would be a large upgrade on both ends of the court, and he can help stretch the floor. Not to mention the idea of he and AD paired together on defense would be scary and the fact that you have two of the league's best shot blockers would help mitigate when one of them goes down.
  • The Lakers may be 1-3 in the preseason but that is largely from the G-Leaguers and deep bench blowing leads in the second half. They've consistently jumped off to quick starts, and led at halftime in 3 of the 4 games before going bench heavy in the second half.
  • Westbrook, Lebron, and Beverly have sat the last two games and the guard rotation hasn't looked terrible.
  • AD looks he's back in prime form. That is reason for optimism.
  • Lebron's window is closing but he's still one of the best players in the league.

I think the general consensus has been that the move would improve the team. The arguments against it are that the price is too high and that it wouldn't make them contenders. But those factors indicate to me that the team is going to be better than expected. Despite the obvious flaws in the roster construction. That move rounds the roster out a lot. It addresses shooting, defense, and roster balance. I think with that trade the Lakers have a shot this year. It may be an outside shot, due to health concerns. But they would have a team that could potentially contend.

I think you have to try to get it done. Now I also can understand the idea that maybe there will be a better deal later in the season, and that maybe this team is good enough to keep themselves in the playoff picture until then. It's a gamble. There's some logic to it though. Personally though, I think a draft pick 5 and 7 years down the road to give Lebron and AD a chance to compete for another title is worth the risk and I don't think they will get a much better deal as the season goes along, at least from Indiana.

Maybe at the deadline if they strike out on other trades. Maybe a star player becomes available unexpectedly at the deadline. But that's a lot of maybes, and even if it does happen, there's no guarantee that if a star becomes available that team would be willing to take the picks 5-7 years down the road for that player.

There's also some benefit to getting a player in camp or early season when they have more time to prepare, practice, and integrate.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: