Pros & Cons / Ups and Downs / Decisions vs Non-Decisions of Rob Pelinka
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2022 12:37 pm    Post subject: Pros & Cons / Ups and Downs / Decisions vs Non-Decisions of Rob Pelinka

Interesting Read
https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/rob-pelinkas-contract-extension-is-the-strangest-decision-in-an-already-inexplicable-lakers-offseason/amp/
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2022 12:49 pm    Post subject:

So that's Vasashi
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2022 2:18 pm    Post subject:

I get tired of Pelinka getting credit for the AD trade, you or I could have easily made it. How hard is it to ask NO what they want and then give it to them? I don’t think that Pelinka is terrible, he just doesn’t know what he is doing. I blame the Buss family for not bringing in a mentor for him, GS did that, Clippers did that. Apparently it seems to be a good idea but somehow Jeanie missed the memo.
ThePageDude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2022 4:29 pm    Post subject:

governator wrote:
So that's Vasashi

Or someone Vasashi convinced by means of his strong analysis.
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2022 10:43 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
I get tired of Pelinka getting credit for the AD trade, you or I could have easily made it. How hard is it to ask NO what they want and then give it to them? I don’t think that Pelinka is terrible, he just doesn’t know what he is doing. I blame the Buss family for not bringing in a mentor for him, GS did that, Clippers did that. Apparently it seems to be a good idea but somehow Jeanie missed the memo.
He is learning on the job

Supposedly his mentor was Magic

Phil is not a good mentor

Kurt and Linda are not good mentors

Mitch isn’t a good example - look at his present success

GS’s Bob Meyers’ journey
https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nba/news/warriors-gm-bob-myers-golden-state/qqfoo1cyn1ipdjumaxuvkaoz
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2022 10:44 am    Post subject:

Pelinka's job is tied to the relationship with Klutch, so how can he be truly criticized if his decisions aren't truly independent?

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
lakersfever714
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2022 11:02 am    Post subject:

A Mad Chinaman wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

GS’s Bob Meyers’ journey
https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nba/news/warriors-gm-bob-myers-golden-state/qqfoo1cyn1ipdjumaxuvkaoz

And why would you hire someone without prior experience for such an important position in one of the most prestigious sports franchises? It's ok for Pelinka to use the Lakers organization as his learning ground? It happened with Magic yet Jeanie didn't learn and still did it again with Pelinka.

If it weren't for Lebron ambitiously choosing LA, we would be looking at no AD and no #17 and probably fighting for lottery with an injury proned Lonzo.

That's just how bad the Lakers would have been under Jeanie Buss if not for Lebron the savior coming to save the franchise.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2022 11:56 am    Post subject:

A Mad Chinaman wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

GS’s Bob Meyers’ journey

That is the problem, Jeanie hired a novice to run her team. And now has doubled down on that decision.

Mitch was mentored by West and was very successful with the Lakers. I would never compare Pelinka to him.

Last edited by venturalakersfan on Mon Oct 10, 2022 12:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Lakesh0wtime
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2022 11:59 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
So that's Vasashi

lmfao
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2022 12:17 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
And why would you hire someone without prior experience for such an important position in one of the most prestigious sports franchises?

Because his experience is tied to maintaining a relationship with Klutch while trying to lead a team to championships.

And he did get 1 ring. I'm not mad. But I also think he clearly can't be compared to other GMs, because he's not a traditional one.

Drifts
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2022 3:04 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
Pelinka's job is tied to the relationship with Klutch, so how can he be truly criticized if his decisions aren't truly independent?

this.

I'd revisit rating Pelinka when Lebron is no longer breathing down his neck on his every move.
"Now, if life is coffee, then the jobs, money & position in society are the cups. They are just tools to hold & contain life, but the quality of life doesn't change. Sometimes, by concentrating only on the cup, we fail to enjoy the coffee in it."
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2022 4:00 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
A Mad Chinaman wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

GS’s Bob Meyers’ journey
That is the problem, Jeanie hired a novice to run her team. And now has doubled down on that decision.

Mitch was mentored by West and was very successful with the Lakers. I would never compare Pelinka to him.
One should not forget how Mitch adapted to today’s NBA

His last years with the Lakers and his tenure in Charlotte are more accurate gauges. Recent successful GMs has come without much GM experience

Could Rob have done much better - yes. Would Meyers have enough cache to tell Lebron/AD to not trade for Westbrook - somebody that both strongly wanted - hmmmm. Lebron has a lot more influence than Curry, Klau and Dray combined - by himself

Could Rob have financially structured deals differently, yes. He might have been under orders from Jeanie since the Buss Family doesn’t have the bottomless checkbook of a Balmer and others that treat NBA teams as their personal toys

As stated above, true test or Rob’s abilities will be seen when Lebron is gone
lakersfever714
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2022 4:08 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
Quote:
And why would you hire someone without prior experience for such an important position in one of the most prestigious sports franchises?

Because his experience is tied to maintaining a relationship with Klutch while trying to lead a team to championships.

And he did get 1 ring. I'm not mad. But I also think he clearly can't be compared to other GMs, because he's not a traditional one.

We need a GM with experience in talent evaluation. Pelinka was never even a scout. He's supposed to be a very good negotiator with his background as a player agent but judging by the AD and Westbrick deals, I don't think he made very good deals.

As far as the championship is concerned, I would credit Lebron and AD with most credit, and then Vogel and then Pelinka for luckily filling out the rest of the roster.
vasashi17+
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2022 12:28 pm    Post subject:

@Gov: put some ‘spect on my frame. Although Mr Quinn makes unbelievably astute observations and I’m sure he’s a handsome man in his own right, my momma birthed a far better jawline than that man.

And although these days I’ve been consumed with this Pelinka extension by stress eating my way into submission, I still run the two man weave with my homie @TPD. My dude motivate me to monitor the forum pages from being unnecessarily stretched out, and he returns the favor by making sure my waist line doesn’t either.

And @sh0wtime, what’s so funny? Do I amuse you?

https://i.gifer.com/5M3O.gif

@MikeatLG: but Rob chose to clutch onto the Klutch life preserver tho. Just like he did as an agent with Kob, he’s clinging for dear life to that relationship since it seems he can’t really make it on his own. He made his choice, he made his bed, he ate that manna…now he’s gotta live or die with them dudes.

What I do find strange however is how he attaches his decisions to Bron/AD/Klutch and makes sure the public knows about it, but then somehow these leaks persistently keep coming out about how the Lakers don’t want to succumb to all of Klutch’s wishes (see Lue coaching hire, stalling on Melo signing, not retaining Kidd/Dudz, the narrative of deflecting blame to Bron in the Russ trade, etc.

Anywho not a fan…speaking about Rob, not Mr. Quinn. That dude sounds smart.

✌🏼 https://wifflegif.com/gifs/680918-embarrassed-the-office-gif

{“damn they on to me & it’s stressing me out…now where did I leave that donut box aka my life preserver?”}
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2022 12:52 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
Quote:

My philosophy is all you can do is judge a GM by the totality of the decisions of the FO during his tenure. The GM gets credit for the good stuff, demerits for the bad stuff.

You are going down pointless rabbit holes if you try to guess how much those decisions were influenced by other people -- in our case, be it Magic, Jeanie, Lebron, whoever.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2022 4:15 pm    Post subject:

lakersfever714 wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
Quote:

We need a GM with experience in talent evaluation. Pelinka was never even a scout. He's supposed to be a very good negotiator with his background as a player agent but judging by the AD and Westbrick deals, I don't think he made very good deals.

As far as the championship is concerned, I would credit Lebron and AD with most credit, and then Vogel and then Pelinka for luckily filling out the rest of the roster.

The talent evaluation is already there with Jesse and Joey Buss.

Truth? If LAL kept the players they valued, Pelinka wouldn't have a negative outlook.

Mike@LG

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2022 4:18 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
Quote:

My philosophy is all you can do is judge a GM by the totality of the decisions of the FO during his tenure. The GM gets credit for the good stuff, demerits for the bad stuff.

You are going down pointless rabbit holes if you try to guess how much those decisions were influenced by other people -- in our case, be it Magic, Jeanie, Lebron, whoever.

I disagree. No other GM outside of NYK has direct ties to an agency and how that affects roster moves.

People are looking at this through a "traditional GM" lens when Pelinka is not that, so of course it's not going to look good. What was his job? Landing LBJ and AD and keeping Klutch happy. That's where his experience is as an agent is more beneficial than any talent evaluation/other roster moves that other GMs get evaluated on. In the end, the other GMs didn't land LBJ and AD. Pelinka helped with that so that's what he gets evaluated on.

venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2022 5:04 pm    Post subject:

He also gets evaluated on the players he surrounds AD and Lebron with and the resulting fit. And obviously on how well the team performs. How many GMs would have a lottery team around Lebron and AD? A part of that lack of success is being tied to Klutch.
Reds622
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2022 5:41 pm    Post subject:

The problem with Pelinka is that he took a championship roster and gutted all the supporting players right after they won a title… and then he found out those types of players just don’t grow on trees.

Then he doubled down by trading for Westbrook, which seemed fine to those who probably watched highlight videos and relied on his reputation, but he’s paid to watch basketball and be in the know. He should have seen the disaster he might become.

I do agree with his approach this far in trading his contract, however. I do think that it will just become more valuable as the season goes on, not less. Who that player/players become if/when he’s actually moved remains to be seen.

Traded too many glue guys. Replaced them with players who play non-winning basketball. Doubled down on another star. All very questionable moves, but the next 2-4 years is likely to be determined within the next 6 months, one way or another, IMO.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2022 10:24 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
activeverb wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
Quote:

I disagree. No other GM outside of NYK has direct ties to an agency and how that affects roster moves.

People are looking at this through a "traditional GM" lens when Pelinka is not that, so of course it's not going to look good. What was his job? Landing LBJ and AD and keeping Klutch happy. That's where his experience is as an agent is more beneficial than any talent evaluation/other roster moves that other GMs get evaluated on. In the end, the other GMs didn't land LBJ and AD. Pelinka helped with that so that's what he gets evaluated on.

I don't think he had much to do, if anything, with LeBron coming here. I really don't think he had much to do with AD coming here either. AD wanted to come here. We basically gave the pelicans everything we could give them. I could have closed that deal as easily as Pelinka. All you needed to do was say yes to anything the pelicans asked for.

So if you think his only real job is to keep Klutch happy then all he is is a powerless, ass kissing toady.

If that's the standard by which you want to evaluate him, that's your business. To me, he is the GM of the Los Angeles lakers, and I will evaluate him by the same standard of any other GM.

I'm not going to cut him slack because he is a powerless toady. The fact that he accepted the job only to be a powerless toady shows me that he is incompetent at the job. A good GM wouldn't have taken the job under those conditions
J.C. Smith
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2022 10:29 pm    Post subject:

Reds622 wrote:
The problem with Pelinka is that he took a championship roster and gutted all the supporting players right after they won a title… and then he found out those types of players just don’t grow on trees.

In fairness to him though, he didn't really dismantle a championship roster. Dwight left for less money after they signed Trez, they wanted him back. Rondo left for more money and never lived up to the contract he got. Bradley left in free agency after opting out and then asking for an extension, after skipping the bubble. They resigned Markieff. They brought back Dwight, Rondo, and Bradley next season and all of them had declined significantly in their year away.

Now he did make two trades. Javele for Gasol seemed to make sense. Javele had barely played in the playoffs. Gasol had just won a title two years prior, I think they likely didn't realize that he was done. They expected to get a defensive upgrade and a stretch five.

Green wanted out, he was getting death threats. They got Schroder in return.

Of those guys the only real fault I can see there is that you could make an argument that letting McGee go was a mistake. The other guys choose to leave.

Certainly, heading into that season a lot of people thought the Lakers had improved a championship roster. Injuries derailed them.

Now the decisions the last two summers have been worse. I'm not a fan of his last two summers.
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2022 12:17 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
activeverb wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
Quote:

I don't think he had much to do, if anything, with LeBron coming here. I really don't think he had much to do with AD coming here either. AD wanted to come here. We basically gave the pelicans everything we could give them. I could have closed that deal as easily as Pelinka. All you needed to do was say yes to anything the pelicans asked for.

So if you think his only real job is to keep Klutch happy then all he is is a powerless, ass kissing toady.

If that's the standard by which you want to evaluate him, that's your business. To me, he is the GM of the Los Angeles lakers, and I will evaluate him by the same standard of any other GM.

I'm not going to cut him slack because he is a powerless toady. The fact that he accepted the job only to be a powerless toady shows me that he is incompetent at the job. A good GM wouldn't have taken the job under those conditions
One might think/believe that Jeanie personally asked Rob to stay when Magic abruptly/suddenly resigned. If Rob would have left at the same time, after giving up his agency, Lakers would be in much worse shape - not that Magic didn't much GM work in straigthening out the mess that Jimmy Buss/Mitch Kupchak created with their many bad trades

How many GMs have the cachet (in normal circumstances) to say No to Lebron and AD demanding to have Westbrook on the team - or else. Not many, if any.

As has been stated in the media, Jeanie has both Rob and Ham's contract expiring at the same time. Ham is Rob's hire and we will see how it fares
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2022 12:17 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
activeverb wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
Quote:

One might think/believe that Jeanie personally asked Rob to stay when Magic abruptly/suddenly resigned. If Rob would have left at the same time, after giving up his agency, Lakers would be in much worse shape - not that Magic didn't much GM work in straigthening out the mess that Jimmy Buss/Mitch Kupchak created with their many bad trades

How many GMs have the cachet (in normal circumstances) to say No to Lebron and AD demanding to have Westbrook on the team - or else. Not many, if any.

As has been stated in the media, Jeanie has both Rob and Ham's contract expiring at the same time. Ham is Rob's hire and we will see how it fares
Reds622
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2022 8:11 am    Post subject:

J.C. Smith wrote:
Reds622 wrote:

In fairness to him though, he didn't really dismantle a championship roster. Dwight left for less money after they signed Trez, they wanted him back. Rondo left for more money and never lived up to the contract he got. Bradley left in free agency after opting out and then asking for an extension, after skipping the bubble. They resigned Markieff. They brought back Dwight, Rondo, and Bradley next season and all of them had declined significantly in their year away.

Now he did make two trades. Javele for Gasol seemed to make sense. Javele had barely played in the playoffs. Gasol had just won a title two years prior, I think they likely didn't realize that he was done. They expected to get a defensive upgrade and a stretch five.

Green wanted out, he was getting death threats. They got Schroder in return.

Of those guys the only real fault I can see there is that you could make an argument that letting McGee go was a mistake. The other guys choose to leave.

Certainly, heading into that season a lot of people thought the Lakers had improved a championship roster. Injuries derailed them.

Now the decisions the last two summers have been worse. I'm not a fan of his last two summers.

The Lakers won because they were big, physical, and defensive minded.

He traded, or let walk, arguably they’re three best defenders. McGee has turned into a winning player. Green has always been a winning player. Howard turned into a winning type player. I haven’t heard that Green wanted out…

Anyways, he turned those three into Schroeder and Harrell… and included a first round draft pick. Undersized players who are average defenders, at best. The following summer was just as bad, but let’s not forget where the mediocrity of the last few years started.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2022 8:44 am    Post subject:

A Mad Chinaman wrote:
activeverb wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
activeverb wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
Quote:

Bottom line: When I look at all the moves that the FO has made during Rob's tenure, I think overall they have done a bad job.

I am not going to get into the guessing game of trying to give a certain percentage of blame/credit for each move.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: