Likelihood of Austin as starting PG? And other possibilities...
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lakerlove123
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2023 5:06 pm    Post subject: Likelihood of Austin as starting PG? And other possibilities...

It seemed like they were grooming Austin a little to be (or at least using him as) a playmaker/PG. If Austin became the starting PG, that would save money in the PG spot, presumably obviating the need for DLo.

PG: Austin/Freeze

Then fulfill SG in-house with Christie

SG: Christie
SF: LeBron

Though there can never be any "promises" made unless you are in the absolute superstar category, I think Rui was brought here because they felt he was starter material—and I think he proved himself well.

PF: Rui
C: AD

Alternatively—and I think this could actually work—what if

PG: Austin
SG: LeBron
SF: Rui
PF: AD
C: New Center

This allows AD to roam as a defensive presence, what he's best at. Austin and Rui (at least in the playoffs) were great 3 point shooters. This would be a heck of a tall defensive unit. Only problem—and BIG problem—is I don't know how they would keep up with quick small-guard teams, because they would run in circles around them on the court. So, could it work? I don't think so. Plus, not much ball-handling on the floor.

But, interesting to think about...
LakerFan1987
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2023 5:47 pm    Post subject:

Somebody on this forum in his defense and love of DLo told me that AR isn't a PG
Bron2AD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2023 5:52 pm    Post subject:

Austin should be the starting PG for this team going forward
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2023 5:53 pm    Post subject:

Reaves is a combo guard. He can play the point at times, but using him as a primary PG would be problematic. This is especially true on defense. If we used your proposed backcourt of Reaves and Lebron, a lot of teams would cut us to pieces.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2023 6:26 pm    Post subject:

Reaves should be precisely where he is, starting combo guard at the 2.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2023 6:28 pm    Post subject:

LakerFan1987 wrote:
Somebody on this forum in his defense and love of DLo told me that AR isn't a PG

He isn’t, he doesn’t have PG handles. But that doesn’t mean he can’t be one of our creators.
LakerFan1987
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2023 7:39 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
LakerFan1987 wrote:

He isn’t, he doesn’t have PG handles. But that doesn’t mean he can’t be one of our creators.

Go root for your Clippers.
JustaObserver
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2023 7:47 pm    Post subject:

LakerFan1987 wrote:

Put him at PG...I,,,,,GUARANTEEE...you going to start hating on him.

PG is a totally different thing when you got to setup your offense and rush it up the court for enough time to do it. You MUST have great handles to do it becaue teams will hound you up the court if your handle is shaky they going to continue to hound you once they sniff out your handles not all that.
JustaObserver
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2023 7:53 pm    Post subject:

LakerFan1987 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
LakerFan1987 wrote:

Why dont you?....i saw some of your great replies in the Game Threads
"Game over" "bla bla is useless" You can run over there right now and say those responses and they will probably think you was a long time Clipper fan. Why? Because those are responses they fans usually say.
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2023 8:34 pm    Post subject:

JustaObserver wrote:
LakerFan1987 wrote:

PG is a totally different thing when you got to setup your offense and rush it up the court for enough time to do it. You MUST have great handles to do it becaue teams will hound you up the court if your handle is shaky they going to continue to hound you once they sniff out your handles not all that.

AR's position is SG. If D-Lo is inadequate at PG, then go get another PG, don't screw up AR by turning him into something he isn't.
1995Lakers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2023 8:36 pm    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:
JustaObserver wrote:
LakerFan1987 wrote:

AR's position is SG. If D-Lo is inadequate at PG, then go get another PG, don't screw up AR by turning him into something he isn't.

Its like Vernon Maxwell and Jeff Hornacek who had excellent handles and passing skills for a shooting guard BUT THEY ARE SHOOTING GUARDS. Leave them alone.
Lakesh0wtime
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2023 9:01 pm    Post subject:

LakerFan1987 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
LakerFan1987 wrote:

What a childish reply.

VLF’s response was right on.

Reaves isn’t a PG but he def can be one of our initiators on offense.
JustaObserver
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2023 9:03 pm    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:
JustaObserver wrote:
LakerFan1987 wrote:

Its not that he cant play PG....however what you need is someone tht can defend and get through picks. You can switch off DLO's guy IF his guy is aggressive and put him on the defensice guys player. DLO can play the PG and SG so no dfference. HOWEVER you need that defensive player to have some offense. hit a open 3 or drive.
Megaton
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2023 10:39 pm    Post subject:

Honestly, it depends on how someone like Max Christie develops. If Max truly got taller (apparently at 6’7) and develops into a 3 and D talent, then Reaves at PG makes perfect sense, with Max at SG.

Reaves is a very good ball handler and capable passer. I don’t think he has perfect “point guard handles”, but neither do guards like Harden who play that role anyway.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2023 11:40 pm    Post subject:

LakerFan1987 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
LakerFan1987 wrote:

I don't know why you took a gratuitous (and cliched) swipe at VLF; all he did was post a reasonable comment. Just because you don't agree with it doesn't mean you need to act so childish, as another poster put it.

And I have to say, I find that people who put a string of LOLs after their comments generally put up weak comments and they are desperately using emoticons to try to cover up they really have nothing of substance to say. So far you haven't done anything in this thread to contradict that belief.
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2023 12:30 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
LakerFan1987 wrote:

Truth.. I wonder what his offseason skill training will be like
Bet he goes full Mamba and comes back stronger and even more determined

Lakers are truly lucky to have found this Beast..

Bron called out "smart" players saying the Lakers need more of those.....
Smart means shutting off the mean voice in our heads that say we can't do it
Beasley Lonnie Bamba Wenyen even some part Dlo..

Ham saying keep doing what you do only do it better.. means respect your ability to overcome anything if you keep trying

Reminded me of something I read in a book about - yay.. someone else read it too

Quote:

https://www.espn.com/blog/afcsouth/post/_/id/50292/on-tony-dungy-changing-player-habits
I was also struck by a section about Dungy in a book I read in the last year: “The Power of Habit” by Charles Duhigg.

He detailed how Dungy thought he could prompt change with the perennial loser Tampa Bay Buccaneers when he became their head coach in 1996.

Before that, Dungy explained his intended approach four times to owners looking for a head coach. Four times owners passed.

Wrote Duhigg:

Part of the problem was Dungy’s coaching philosophy. In his job interviews, he would patiently explain his belief that the key to winning was changing players habits. He wanted to get players to stop making so many decisions during a game, he said. He wanted them to react automatically, habitually. If he could instill the right habits, his team would win. Period.

“Champions don’t do extraordinary things,” Dungy would explain. “They do ordinary things, but they do them without thinking, too fast for the other team to react. They follow the habits they’ve learned.”

How, the owners would ask, are you going to create those new habits?

Oh no, he wasn’t going to create new habits, Dungy would answer. Players spent their lives building the habits that got them to the NFL. No athlete is going to abandon those patterns simply because some new coach says to.

So rather than creating new habits, Dungy was going to change players’ old ones. And the secret to changing old habits was using what was already insider players’ heads. Habits are a three-step loop -- the cure, the routine, and the reward -- but Dungy only wanted to attack the middle step, the routine. He knew from experience that it was easier to convince someone to adopt a new behavior if there was something familiar at the beginning and the end.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2023 12:46 am    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:
JustaObserver wrote:
LakerFan1987 wrote:

Perfectly stated
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2023 4:31 am    Post subject:

The way I see it is Russell is no more a PG than Reaves is. If you can play Russell there, you can play Reaves. What my concern is, is that it is much harder to find a PG that can defend. I prefer Reaves at the PG and for us to find a 2-way SG with some size ideally. This way we can really maximize Davis and defense as a team. People get stuck on positions. I am more concerned about roster balance. As long as Lebron is on this team, we can function well with someone like Reaves.

Now if we keep Russell... fine, leave it as is, but we have already seen the hole having Russell on the court can create.
waterman40
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2023 5:11 am    Post subject:

Reaves made great strides in his shooting in just one year. I can see him tightening his handles this year. But he is going to have a hard time on defense against other PG's. Leave him where he is as a combo SG.
ThreePointBomber
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2023 7:25 am    Post subject:

The standard positions don't really fit the New NBA. Instead of 1-5 it is just wings and bigs.

Our Power forward plays "point guard" most of the time anyway.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2023 7:34 am    Post subject:

I have been a huge AR guy since the SPL. Said he should be a starter from end of last season.

The transition to full time "PG" may not be too difficult, but it would really place him in a different role. I like him best attacking off of a pass, not necessarily just making the pass. He's a good PNR operator so that's already established, but I feel like you're taking away one of our better scoring options making him a distributor.

Also, if they put smaller guards on him, the turnovers may be tough for him. He played PG in college, but that's college.
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2023 7:44 am    Post subject:

Play Reaves 35 minutes a game at the PG. I don't think its a stretch to think he could give us...

18-5-7
less than 3 TO a game
above average defense
both a scorer and a play maker. (he has shown he can do it already)
very high efficiency

Stick a 6'6, 6'7 guard that can cut, shoot and defend next to him and we could have a really good back court. Having smart guards who give good effort on defense can really help Davis as well. Its far too often he is left on an island because our perimeter guys get lost or simply don't defend.
LakerFan1987
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2023 7:49 am    Post subject:

JustaObserver wrote:
LakerFan1987 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
LakerFan1987 wrote:

Why dont you?....i saw some of your great replies in the Game Threads
"Game over" "bla bla is useless" You can run over there right now and say those responses and they will probably think you was a long time Clipper fan. Why? Because those are responses they fans usually say.

Man you really love DLo. Geeez
LakerFan1987
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2023 7:55 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
I have been a huge AR guy since the SPL. Said he should be a starter from end of last season.

The transition to full time "PG" may not be too difficult, but it would really place him in a different role. I like him best attacking off of a pass, not necessarily just making the pass. He's a good PNR operator so that's already established, but I feel like you're taking away one of our better scoring options making him a distributor.

Also, if they put smaller guards on him, the turnovers may be tough for him. He played PG in college, but that's college.

You're the only one that has mentioned that so far. It's like no one knows this lol

AR is a smart heady player and he looked at who is a PG/SG combo that handles the ball a ton and is 6'5" and does more than his physical gifts allow....

Oh James Harden.

AR can be our starting PG if we pick up a nice 3 & D SG ... like a Bruce Brown ... and eventually Max Christie
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2023 7:58 am    Post subject:

LakerFan1987 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

You're the only one that has mentioned that so far. It's like no one knows this lol

AR is a smart heady player and he looked at who is a PG/SG combo that handles the ball a ton and is 6'5" and does more than his physical gifts allow....

Oh James Harden.

AR can be our starting PG if we pick up a nice 3 & D SG ... like a Bruce Brown ... and eventually Max Christie

yeah, that's what most people forget. He was a full time PG in college.

But it'll be a different role from him in the NBA.

My actual hope is he can be more of a scoring shooting guard who is also a good playmaker. I think if we shift him to some of the traditional duties, it'll affect his turnovers dribbling against pressure (one of his weaknesses he'll need to improve on...remember Dennis/DLO would often bring ball up against pressure) and just finishing play opportunities. That "SG" next to him better be able to do that.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: