Ime Udoka gone for the season
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
troy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2022 5:43 am    Post subject: Ime Udoka gone for the season

As Laker fans, should we celebrate, or is this a tragedy? Not sure.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2022 7:16 am    Post subject:

It doesn’t affect the Lakers at all
point-guard
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2022 8:27 am    Post subject:

we should hire him immediately. screw the scandal. all about winning. not like LA is not about sex, crime and drugs.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2022 8:52 am    Post subject:

point-guard wrote:
we should hire him immediately. screw the scandal. all about winning. not like LA is not about sex, crime and drugs.

One big problem, he is under contract with the Celtics. And I would hope that the Lakers would have at least as much class as Boston.
troy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2022 1:28 pm    Post subject:

point-guard wrote:

That's what I was thinking. He's a talented coach. Let him resign from the Celtics and lets bring him in as our #1 assistant.
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2022 2:40 pm    Post subject:

This is not a Laker problem....
LakerDynasty6.0
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2022 8:04 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
point-guard wrote:

One big problem, he is under contract with the Celtics. And I would hope that the Lakers would have at least as much class as Boston.

Since you compared a team (the Lakers) to a city (Boston).. you're waaaay off the mark here...
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2022 5:57 am    Post subject:

After Matt Barnes' comment, there is a good chance that this is a lot worse than just something about "sex." This is the Celtics' problem, but there may be a human dimension to this that goes beyond sports rivalries. I think that we should all wait and see how this unfolds.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2022 7:08 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
After Matt Barnes' comment, there is a good chance that this is a lot worse than just something about "sex." This is the Celtics' problem, but there may be a human dimension to this that goes beyond sports rivalries. I think that we should all wait and see how this unfolds.

Matt is overly dramatic but I think he had an affair with someone else's wife and given past history you can see why Matt would be bothered by that.

Honestly I'm surprised this didn't happen during Fisher's coaching days.
LakerDYnasty72
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2022 7:50 am    Post subject: Re: Ime Udoka gone for the season

troy wrote:
As Laker fans, should we celebrate, or is this a tragedy? Not sure.

We should pray for Nia & the family. The rest we should ignore because it's the Celtics business right now. It's not ours until he's contractually free to talk to other teams should they have any interest.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2022 9:49 am    Post subject:

Basketball Fan wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:

Matt is overly dramatic but I think he had an affair with someone else's wife and given past history you can see why Matt would be bothered by that.

I have no idea why they are keeping him on the payroll other than they want to set an example and punish him. I can imagine it being a hostile work environment and they are better off letting him go and let him find another coaching gig or job for 2022-2023 season.
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2022 12:28 pm    Post subject:

Either trying to build a better record and fire him . . . or, more realistically, they want to slowly dial up the pressure and force him to resign so they can avoid paying him out/litigation.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2022 1:47 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
Basketball Fan wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:

I have no idea why they are keeping him on the payroll other than they want to set an example and punish him. I can imagine it being a hostile work environment and they are better off letting him go and let him find another coaching gig or job for 2022-2023 season.

I don’t see any team hiring him anytime soon.
lakersfever714
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2022 2:26 pm    Post subject:

We should not taint the Lakers board with such garbage.

wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2022 2:28 pm    Post subject:

IMO Money. If they fired him, I think they have to pay him almost all the guaranteed money. If he quits, then he will not be entitled to it. They suspended him, with the intention for him to eventually quit. Already they fined him.

If he resigns, I believe they are off the hook for the 15-20M he is probably owed.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
JustaObserver
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2022 3:08 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
IMO Money. If they fired him, I think they have to pay him almost all the guaranteed money. If he quits, then he will not be entitled to it. They suspended him, with the intention for him to eventually quit. Already they fined him.

If he resigns, I believe they are off the hook for the 15-20M he is probably owed.

Who in they right mind would quit after getting fined and the person you mess with don’t get fined or suspended no nothing?
JustaObserver
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2022 3:29 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:

Who in they right mind would quit after getting fined and the person you mess with don’t get fined or suspended no nothing?
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2022 6:15 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:

That scenario sounds like why they didn't fire him. The organization doesn't want to pay him, and he isn't leaving money on the table. Either way its gonna be a messy divorce between him and the team.
PLATNUM
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2022 9:32 pm    Post subject:

I'm guessing the Celtics got wind of the "relationship" and since he is engaged they aren't going to condone the behavior. But I'm thinking the reason it's blowing up is because the woman got pregnant and things got too ugly to keep low profile.
LakerDYnasty72
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2022 9:39 pm    Post subject:

lakersfever714 wrote:

Initially, I gave an opinion but the the thread and its title is out of place and somewhat annoying.
ElginBaylor
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 5:39 am    Post subject:

lakersfever714 wrote:

+1
Batguano
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 9:48 am    Post subject:

According to the gossip sites Udoka had relationships with not one but TWO female staff members. Both of them are married, but one of them is married to a Senior Vice President within the Celtics organization.

Also, apparently one of the relationships started off as consensual but when the woman decided to break it off Udoka got weird/creepy with it and she reported him.
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 10:03 am    Post subject:

Batguano wrote:
According to the gossip sites Udoka had relationships with not one but TWO female staff members. Both of them are married, but one of them is married to a Senior Vice President within the Celtics organization.

Also, apparently one of the relationships started off as consensual but when the woman decided to break it off Udoka got weird/creepy with it and she reported him.

Per Kevin Frazier

Quote:
multiple sources confirm , #Celtics female staffer’s affair w/ Celtics Coach #ImeUdoka was uncovered by her husband when he overheard a private conversation on a home doorbell camera.

More from KF

Quote:
According to well placed sources, even after the affair was discovered by the Celtics, the female staffer continued to work with #NiaLong on her move to Boston. Nia did not learn about the affair until the disciplinary action by the franchise was made public.

Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 10:07 am    Post subject:

Batguano wrote:

“weird/ creepy” or harassment/ criminal? It should matter.

I find it curious that he gets suspended and hung out to dry publicly, yet the other employees have names protected and as far as anyone can tell have not been suspended by the organization.

Understandable if his actions are criminal and victims being protected. I would expect some charges though. But if somehow considered a morals issue, then the other married people should be held just as accountable IMO.

Details still not clear. Maybe that changes as more facts come out instead of innuendo and gossip.
Batguano
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 10:22 am    Post subject:

Four Decade Bandwagon wrote:
Batguano wrote:

“weird/ creepy” or harassment/ criminal? It should matter.

I find it curious that he gets suspended and hung out to dry publicly, yet the other employees have names protected and as far as anyone can tell have not been suspended by the organization.

Understandable if his actions are criminal and victims being protected. I would expect some charges though. But if somehow considered a morals issue, then the other married people should be held just as accountable IMO.

Details still not clear. Maybe that changes as more facts come out instead of innuendo and gossip.

Per The Athletic:

Some members of the Celtics organization first became aware of the relationship in July, sources said. At that time, team leadership was led to believe by both parties that the relationship was consensual. But sources said that the woman recently accused Udoka of making unwanted comments toward her — leading the team to launch a set of internal interviews.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: