Is the movie theatre industry dead?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
FernieBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2022 11:17 pm    Post subject: Is the movie theatre industry dead?

NewsNation

(Is the movie theatre industry dead? Rush Hour)

Quote:
Movie theater operator Cineworld Group LLC has filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection in the U.S. as it deals with billions of dollars in debt and lower-than-expected attendance at screenings.

The company and its subsidiaries have commitments for an approximate $1.94 billion debtor-in-possession financing facility from existing lenders, which will help ensure Cineworld’s operations continue as usual while it undergoes a reorganization.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2022 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: Is the movie theatre industry dead?

FernieBee wrote:
NewsNation

Quote:
Movie theater operator Cineworld Group LLC has filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection in the U.S. as it deals with billions of dollars in debt and lower-than-expected attendance at screenings.

The company and its subsidiaries have commitments for an approximate $1.94 billion debtor-in-possession financing facility from existing lenders, which will help ensure Cineworld’s operations continue as usual while it undergoes a reorganization.

It was doing well until covid hit. Covid put them in debt for which they couldn't recover from. Same thing with alot of restaurants.

But if the movie theater industry is indeed dead, then it will take down the movie industry with them.

I don't think the movie industry can work with just streaming alone. Maverick made over $1B worldwide. It can't come close to that with just streaming.
leor_77
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2022 10:32 am    Post subject:

Yes, no doubt. Despite the "meme stock" craze, every time I walk by an AMC, it's empty. I have no desire to go to the movie theater anymore personally, just way more comfortable watching movies on my computer / large TV.
LakersRGolden
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2022 10:49 am    Post subject:

Eventually the Studios will figure out that $20 for a movie vs 3 months of streaming leans towards streaming.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2022 11:39 am    Post subject:

Technology, modern family life and covid all did a number on the movie industry.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2022 12:36 pm    Post subject:

LakersRGolden wrote:
Eventually the Studios will figure out that $20 for a movie vs 3 months of streaming leans towards streaming.

The streaming situation is untenable and will not only become a lot more expensive than $20/month but audiences will start to realize they’re mostly paying for junk like these awful Netflix movies they keep pumping out. I don’t know what streaming service other than Apple+ that you’re getting 3 months of for $20. Just Netflix costs $15 per month. Add in one more and you’re well above $20 and most people want Netflix and Disney and Hulu and HBO etc. Meanwhile my $20/month AMC A-List membership allows me to see up to 3 movies in a theater per week.

Theaters aren’t just about seeing movies. There’s a communal experience you share with people there in a massive room on a giant screen with incredible sound that sorry even the best home setups can’t replicate. Theaters will become less ubiquitous but they’ll remain just as, if not more, vital. Here in LA we’ve never had better theater options.
LakersRGolden
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2022 12:56 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
LakersRGolden wrote:

The streaming situation is untenable and will not only become a lot more expensive than $20/month but audiences will start to realize they’re mostly paying for junk like these awful Netflix movies they keep pumping out. I don’t know what streaming service other than Apple+ that you’re getting 3 months of for $20. Just Netflix costs $15 per month. Add in one more and you’re well above $20 and most people want Netflix and Disney and Hulu and HBO etc. Meanwhile my $20/month AMC A-List membership allows me to see up to 3 movies in a theater per week.

Theaters aren’t just about seeing movies. There’s a communal experience you share with people there in a massive room on a giant screen with incredible sound that sorry even the best home setups can’t replicate. Theaters will become less ubiquitous but they’ll remain just as, if not more, vital. Here in LA we’ve never had better theater options.

Disney = $6.50 a month through Verizon
Hulu (Black friday deal = $0.99 a month with commercials)
Amazon Prime Video = part of a bundle.
AppleTV = free trial every time someone refreshes their phone/tablet

The theatres around me are Regal, so it would be their $23/month deal which is competitive. Especially if you go for Netflix.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2022 1:07 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
LakersRGolden wrote:

Biggest reason why is every studio has their own streaming service now so they don't need Netflix. And Netflix keeps upping their rates so thats why they are losing subs. A lot of their "original" programming is not very good.
FernieBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2022 1:09 pm    Post subject:

I haven't been to a movie theater since about 2018.

No thanks, especially in the age of Covid and imbeciles.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2022 1:24 pm    Post subject:

LakersRGolden wrote:
ocho wrote:
LakersRGolden wrote:

Disney = $6.50 a month through Verizon
Hulu (Black friday deal = $0.99 a month with commercials)
Amazon Prime Video = part of a bundle.
AppleTV = free trial every time someone refreshes their phone/tablet

The theatres around me are Regal, so it would be their $23/month deal which is competitive. Especially if you go for Netflix.

Right these are temporary promotional rates to get you in the door. Eventually you’re going to have to pay the full rate and that’s only going to go up from here. It’s not sustainable.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2022 1:27 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
And Netflix keeps upping their rates so thats why they are losing subs. A lot of their "original" programming is not very good.

Bingo. There are some good Netflix originals but most of it is awful. The best stuff on Netflix is content that isn’t theirs. Eventually it’s all going away.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2022 1:29 pm    Post subject:

FernieBee wrote:
I haven't been to a movie theater since about 2018.

No thanks, especially in the age of Covid and imbeciles.

Theaters and restaurants are two beautiful communal spaces that the virus has ravaged.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2022 1:29 pm    Post subject:

leor_77 wrote:
Yes, no doubt. Despite the "meme stock" craze, every time I walk by an AMC, it's empty. I have no desire to go to the movie theater anymore personally, just way more comfortable watching movies on my computer / large TV.

The AMC I frequent is packed on Friday and Saturday nights. For a big new release you better reserve your seat early or you’re out of luck or sitting in the front row.
JerryWest_44
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2022 3:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Is the movie theatre industry dead?

LongBeachPoly wrote:
FernieBee wrote:
NewsNation

Quote:

It was doing well until covid hit. Covid put them in debt for which they couldn't recover from. Same thing with alot of restaurants.

But if the movie theater industry is indeed dead, then it will take down the movie industry with them.

I don't think the movie industry can work with just streaming alone. Maverick made over $1B worldwide. It can't come close to that with just streaming.

When we watch Maverick the Theater was at 25% capacity
JerryWest_44
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2022 3:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Is the movie theatre industry dead?

LongBeachPoly wrote:
FernieBee wrote:
NewsNation

Quote:

double post...

Last edited by JerryWest_44 on Thu Sep 08, 2022 3:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
JerryWest_44
Retired Number
Retired Number

LongBeachPoly wrote:
FernieBee wrote:
NewsNation

Quote:

I would bet many movie enthusiasts have large screen TVs as well.... unless the move demands a HUGE HUGE screen I would rather watch at home.

Last edited by JerryWest_44 on Thu Sep 08, 2022 3:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Omar Little

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2022 3:04 pm    Post subject:

But your posting is at 300% capacity, so it all works out.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2022 3:16 pm    Post subject:

Some of the upscale movie theaters are setup just like a home theater. They have recliners and somebody that brings you food. Not much different than watching at home.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2022 3:27 pm    Post subject:

It baffles me that after being forced into our homes due to Covid and severed from our communal experiences there are people that want to continue doing everything from home.
C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Prarie & Manchester, high above the western sideline

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2022 8:09 pm    Post subject:

God, I hope not. Content made for streaming has been mostly forgettable. Not even as good as NBC TV movies.

I love being at the movies. There is nothing like the experience.

Sister Golden Hair wrote:
LAMAR ODOM is an anagram for ... DOOM ALARM
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2022 8:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Is the movie theatre industry dead?

JerryWest_44 wrote:
I would bet many movie enthusiasts have large screen TVs as well.... unless the move demands a HUGE HUGE screen I would rather watch at home.

But can the movie industry survive if everybody watches at home? I’m guessing when you watch at home you’re expecting to pay a cheaper price?

Let’s say on demand streaming movies charge $8 per viewing? You invite about 30 of your friends over and for $8 everybody gets to watch that movie.

Movies are now less profitable. Instead of having a $200M budget for the blockbusters, now they cut back to a $50M budget.

Will the quality still be the same? Will the industry still be the same if movie theaters die out?
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2022 7:37 am    Post subject:

Well the Movie Making Companies certainly won't be offering the top stars huge amounts of money for movies that will be lucky to gross $50 mill worldwide...

especially when DVD/Blu-Ray sales are down too!

Look for the Movie companies to partner with DirecTV (and the like) and create their own Movie channels for first run movies.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2022 9:34 am    Post subject:

unleasHell wrote:
Well the Movie Making Companies certainly won't be offering the top stars huge amounts of money for movies that will be lucky to gross $50 mill worldwide...

especially when DVD/Blu-Ray sales are down too!

Look for the Movie companies to partner with DirecTV (and the like) and create their own Movie channels for first run movies.

Yup, and this is why actors have fought against their movies being released on streaming media.

Quote:
Scarlett Johansson Sues Disney Over ‘Black Widow’ Streaming Release

Scarlett Johansson wasn’t the first star to gripe about potentially losing money over their movie debuting simultaneously on streaming and the big screen, but she was the first to take legal action over it. And until the talent and studios who own services like Disney+ and HBOMax find some middle ground where everyone makes money, she won’t be the last.

To quickly recap the situation, Johansson is suing Disney because, as she alleges, they broke a promise to hold off on streaming Black Widow, her standalone Marvel movie, until it had been in theaters for a certain period of time. That’s because her payout on the film was $20 million upfront then a series of bonuses that kicked in if and when the film hit certain box-office milestones. But when Disney, which owns Marvel, released it on its streaming services for a $30 fee on the same day it bowed in theaters, she alleges that they cost her up to $50 million in bonuses.

Disney fired back, saying the suit was “sad and distressing in its callous disregard for the horrific and prolonged global effects of the COVID-19 pandemic.” They added, “Disney has fully complied with Ms. Johansson’s contract and furthermore, the release of Black Widow on Disney+ with Premier Access has significantly enhanced her ability to earn additional compensation on top of the $20M she has received to date.”

Wow, I didn't know they charged $30 to watch on streaming. That's crazy if you can't find 3-4 other people to watch with you.

Quote:
Tom Cruise was “never” going to let Top Gun: Maverick go to streaming

And don't expect to stream any other Tom Cruise movies, either

During a Q&A at the 2022 Cannes Film Festival, Tom Cruise made his stance on sending his movies to streaming services very clear. Asked specifically about whether the powers that be wanted to stream Top Gun: Maverick after significant delay releases, he said, “They wouldn’t dare,” according to IGN.

“That’s not going to happen, ever. That was never going to happen. Never. Not going to happen,” Cruse continued.

He went on to explain:“Look at us all together. We’re all united. We’re all speaking different languages, different cultures, different ideas about art or cinema or storytelling but we are united in being able to come together as a community and share in a shared experience.… I’ve always loved the audience. I make my movies for audiences, because I am an audience, first and foremost.”

Variety reported that Cruise claimed to spend “a lot of time with theater owners,” even calling them up during the pandemic to say: “Please, I know what you’re going through. Just know we are making Mission: Impossible and Top Gun is coming out.”

According to The Hollywood Reporter, he also called the young cast of the Top Gun sequel –Miles Teller, Glen Powell, Danny Ramirez and Monica Barbaro– to reassure them over the delays, saying, “Don’t worry, this is going to happen.”

With two new Mission: Impossible movies on the horizon, don’t expect to see any streamers from Cruise any time soon.

Per IGN, he said: “There’s a very specific way to make a film for cinema and I make movies for the big screen. I know where to go after that. And that’s fine. But I always thought of a film not just for opening weekend but for the distance. You hope to make a movie that’s going to entertain and engage an audience not just on opening weekend but down the line, and I love this experience. I want this experience not just for myself, but I know there are so many people who want this experience. I want other filmmakers to have that experience and have that as an outlet.”

The actor added, “Cinema is my love. It’s my passion. I always go to the movies when they come out–I put my cap on and sit in the audience with everyone. I come in, I want to see the trailers.”

If theaters only have one fan, that fan is Tom Cruise!

https://www.avclub.com/tom-cruise-top-gun-maverick-never-streaming-1848945327
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2022 9:55 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
It baffles me that after being forced into our homes due to Covid and severed from our communal experiences there are people that want to continue doing everything from home.

I miss going on the studio lot to work because of the camaraderie of being in editorial with coworkers, but I want to continue to work remotely forever now. I am just too much more productive and get a huge part of my life back between not having to commute or waste time sitting around waiting for producers etc.

And I have certainly reassessed to the idea of going to enclosed spaces and hanging in close proximity to strangers while we are still dealing with variants. It takes something pretty special to get me doing so, and I suspect it will remain that way for a while. The only movie I have been to in theater in the last 2 1/2 years is TG: Maverick, and I am cool with that. The only thing I miss is the frequency with which I went to live music. That's an experience that cannot be replaced, so I will continue to do that, but with a more discerning approach.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2022 10:19 am    Post subject:

Quote:
I miss going on the studio lot to work because of the camaraderie of being in editorial with coworkers, but I want to continue to work remotely forever now. I am just too much more productive and get a huge part of my life back between not having to commute or waste time sitting around waiting for producers etc.

I understand wanting to do certain things at home, and LA in particular has commutes that are so bad for so many that it makes sense. I've been working from home as well since Covid first hit and while it is convenient in many ways I miss working with people, being at a workplace, and I genuinely hate Zooms. I just think if someone wants to work from home, and shop from home, and see movies at home, and order Postmates to their home, etc they're missing out on the world around them, their communities, and a richer life. I don't think we are meant to stay inside all of the time and only interact with people outside our immediate families online. Without some sort of extenuating circumstance the Covid risk of being in an indoor space with other people is pretty low.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: