Rate These Actors from 1-9 (In Terms of Your Preference)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Black20Ice
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 6:53 am    Post subject: Rate These Actors from 1-9 (In Terms of Your Preference)

1 being the best and 9 being last on the list.

In Alphabetical Order:

Daniel Day-Lewis
Robert De Niro
Robert Duvall
Tom Hanks
Dustin Hoffman
Anthony Hopkins
Jack Nicholson
Al Pacino
Denzel Washington
Omar Little

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 7:08 am    Post subject: Re: Rate These Actors from 1-9 (In Terms of Your Preference)

Black20Ice wrote:

In Alphabetical Order:

9. Daniel Day-Lewis
3. Robert De Niro
7. Robert Duvall
4. Tom Hanks
8. Dustin Hoffman
5. Anthony Hopkins
2. Jack Nicholson
6. Al Pacino
1. Denzel Washington

Not grading their talent but just my preference to watch them over their career.
C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Prarie & Manchester, high above the western sideline

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 7:11 am    Post subject: Re: Rate These Actors from 1-9 (In Terms of Your Preference)

Black20Ice wrote:

In Alphabetical Order:

Daniel Day-Lewis
Robert De Niro
Robert Duvall
Tom Hanks
Dustin Hoffman
Anthony Hopkins
Jack Nicholson
Al Pacino
Denzel Washington

1.) bobby d
2.) hanks
3.) hopkins
4.) nicholson
5.) duvall
6.) hoffman
7.)lewis
8.) washington
9.) pacino

Sister Golden Hair wrote:
LAMAR ODOM is an anagram for ... DOOM ALARM
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 7:40 am    Post subject:

Hopkins
Duval
Washington
Nicholson
Deniro
Hanks
Pacino
Hoffman
Day-Lewis

And I'd bump Day-Lewis for several others. He's one of the most overrated actors ever. He's a performer where the character's authenticity is overpowered by the performance.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 7:52 am    Post subject:

9) Daniel Day-Lewis
8) Dustin Hoffman
7) Tom Hanks
6) Anthony Hopkins
5) Robert Duval
4) Robert Deniro
3) Jack Nicholson
2) Al Pacino
1) Denzel Washington

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 8:28 am    Post subject:

Just some names that pop into my head at the moment:

Robert Redford
Al Pacino
Dustin Hoffman
Jack Nicholson
Denzel Washington
Morgan Freeman
Johnny Depp
Harrison Ford
Robert Downey Jr
George Clooney
Matt Damon
Tommy Lee Jones

But this is a lot more fun:

Jennifer Lawrence
Emma Stone
Charlize Theron
Diane Lane
Julia Roberts
Sandra Bullock
Jodie Comer
Anya Taylor-Joy
Amy Adams
Alicia Vickander
Scarlett Johansson
Emily Mortimer
Bol
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 8:28 am    Post subject: Re: Rate These Actors from 1-9 (In Terms of Your Preference)

Daniel Day-Lewis
Jack Nicholson
Robert De Niro
Tom Hanks
Anthony Hopkins
Denzel Washington
Al Pacino
Dustin Hoffman
Robert Duvall
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 11:57 am    Post subject:

Robert Duvall is so underrated, if that's possible. My bottom-3 of this group (and I like them all) would have to be Hanks, Hoffman, and Denzel. I'm not sure how I'd rank the other 6.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 12:20 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
Robert Duvall is so underrated, if that's possible. My bottom-3 of this group (and I like them all) would have to be Hanks, Hoffman, and Denzel. I'm not sure how I'd rank the other 6.

I used to have Jack #1, partially because he's such a Laker fan but also because he does intense over the top so well, along with being good at characters. But over time I've realized that Denzel is probably our greatest living actor. Just dig everything he does, and while like all great stars he has his trademarks, he's also capable of incredible nuance, and he owns the camera when he's on screen (as did jack). He's a true leading man who can carry any kind of movie you like.

Love Duvall, although he has a lot of go to tics as well, and is never going to carry a big movie on his own. He's just incredibly comfortable, and I mean that in the best way possible.

Hanks is the easiest to like. Underrated dramatic and comedy actor, and just that absolute everyman likability.

I'm with Mule on DDR. Everything he does screams "HEY, LOOK AT ME, I'M ACTING FOR AN OSCAR OVER HERE!"

Pacino used to smolder but now he's like a cartoon of Alan Rickman's Sheriff of Nottingham. DeNiro has given up heavy roles for light comedy fare, and I don't begrudge him that. At least he isn't shouting at the camera all the time.

Hoffman has really great roles that I love, but for some reason he just tends to bug me in a lot of stuff, just the way he carries himself and talks, doesn't do it for me. Not a talent critique, just a taste thing. Like Bob Odenkirk, who is so good but rubs me the wrong way just seeing him.

Hopkins is just an interesting, intense, strange cat, and it comes across the screen. He's just really really a great artist and craftsman. And the camera continues to love his mug.
focus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 2:04 pm    Post subject:

I don't really know because it's hard, but I would have left Tom Hanks off this list. I also think Duvall is hard to top even in this group.
focus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 2:11 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:

Did you ever see Flight?
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 2:18 pm    Post subject:

^
I love Hopkins. I still think it was BS that he won Best Actor over Nick Nolte during the Silence Of The Lambs/The Prince Of Tides year, since Hopkins' role was NOT a leading role and since he's hardly in the film, but his performance was obviously chilling, incredible, and Oscar-worthy. It just should've been in the Supporting Actor category.

Pacino did get a bit cartoonish as he aged, I concur, but his earlier work, especially in the first two Godfather films, is so beyond perfection that his entire body of work is still pretty stunning, at least for me.

I'm with you on the Day-Lewis method acting being over-the-top at times, but damn, the dude is/was talented.

I really grew to like Tom Hanks a lot over the years, and appreciate him more than I used to for some of his earlier work like Big. A lesser actor wouldn't have infused that role with the charm that it needed. I think his Forrest Gump role, like the film itself, is a bit overrated, but he did bring a character to life on screen that will be remembered forever. Like how you view Duvall as comfortable, that's how I view Hanks. I can watch him in whatever role he's playing, whether that's Mr. Rogers or Sully Sullenberger or the manager of the Rockford Peaches.

I'm with you, by the way, on the Duvall assessment. I don't care if he's the cattleman in Open Range (my second-favorite Western ever), the race team crew chief in Days Of Thunder, the consigliere in the Godfather films, the baseball writer in The Natural, the cop in Colors, or a thousand other roles I could mention, he's just superb.

Hoffman is probably my least-favorite of these actors listed, but of course he was/is a very fine actor.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 2:26 pm    Post subject:

focus wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:

Did you ever see Flight?

Yes. Has to be one of Denzel's best roles.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 2:54 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
^
I love Hopkins. I still think it was BS that he won Best Actor over Nick Nolte during the Silence Of The Lambs/The Prince Of Tides year, since Hopkins' role was NOT a leading role and since he's hardly in the film, but his performance was obviously chilling, incredible, and Oscar-worthy. It just should've been in the Supporting Actor category.

Pacino did get a bit cartoonish as he aged, I concur, but his earlier work, especially in the first two Godfather films, is so beyond perfection that his entire body of work is still pretty stunning, at least for me.

I'm with you on the Day-Lewis method acting being over-the-top at times, but damn, the dude is/was talented.

I really grew to like Tom Hanks a lot over the years, and appreciate him more than I used to for some of his earlier work like Big. A lesser actor wouldn't have infused that role with the charm that it needed. I think his Forrest Gump role, like the film itself, is a bit overrated, but he did bring a character to life on screen that will be remembered forever. Like how you view Duvall as comfortable, that's how I view Hanks. I can watch him in whatever role he's playing, whether that's Mr. Rogers or Sully Sullenberger or the manager of the Rockford Peaches.

I'm with you, by the way, on the Duvall assessment. I don't care if he's the cattleman in Open Range (my second-favorite Western ever), the race team crew chief in Days Of Thunder, the consigliere in the Godfather films, the baseball writer in The Natural, the cop in Colors, or a thousand other roles I could mention, he's just superb.

Hoffman is probably my least-favorite of these actors listed, but of course he was/is a very fine actor.

Duvall was also great in Geronimo, an underrated western. I’m a fan of open country as well, having it up there with tombstone, unforgiven, Silverado (sentimental favorite).
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 2:55 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
focus wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:

Did you ever see Flight?

I thought Training Day really showcased his versatility. LINK
/// LINK

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 2:59 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
focus wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:

Did you ever see Flight?

/// LINK

I enjoyed him getting to stretch his legs a bit as the villain. Favorite role of his was man on fire. Easy to just mail that in and his level of nuance especially with fanning was spectacular. Philadelphia was another great job among many.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 3:28 pm    Post subject:

DP
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Last edited by DaMuleRules on Thu Aug 18, 2022 3:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 3:28 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:

Very talented for sure. But I liken him to one of those singers, musicians who is technically skillful, but lacks soul and thus overcompensates by trying to highlight the skill.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 3:30 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
^

Duvall was also great in Geronimo, an underrated western. I’m a fan of open country as well, having it up there with tombstone, unforgiven, Silverado (sentimental favorite).

And The Apostle is one of his greatest performances.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 4:54 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
jodeke wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
focus wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:

Did you ever see Flight?

/// LINK

I enjoyed him getting to stretch his legs a bit as the villain. Favorite role of his was man on fire. Easy to just mail that in and his level of nuance especially with fanning was spectacular. Philadelphia was another great job among many.

Totally agree with everything you said here. Man On Fire is my favorite Denzel role and film.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 7:27 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
jodeke wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
focus wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:

Did you ever see Flight?

/// LINK

Totally agree with everything you said here. Man On Fire is my favorite Denzel role and film.

I LOVE me some Christopher Walken.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 8:04 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
jodeke wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
focus wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:

Did you ever see Flight?

/// LINK

I LOVE me some Christopher Walken.

Who doesn't! An underrated Johnny Depp/Walken flick was Nick Of Time.
focus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 8:41 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
^

Anyone see the Apostle? Totally unfamiliar culture for me, still fascinated and moving. He was great.
focus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 8:58 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
jodeke wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
focus wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:

Did you ever see Flight?

/// LINK

I actually hated man on fire, and partly because of the scenes with him and Fanning. But also because of the torture concept, and camera shakes or cuts if I remember correctly.
Heartburn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 11:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Rate These Actors from 1-9 (In Terms of Your Preference)

Omar Little wrote:
Black20Ice wrote:

In Alphabetical Order:

9. Daniel Day-Lewis
3. Robert De Niro
7. Robert Duvall
4. Tom Hanks
8. Dustin Hoffman
5. Anthony Hopkins
2. Jack Nicholson
6. Al Pacino
1. Denzel Washington

Not grading their talent but just my preference to watch them over their career.

This list nailed it for me although I'd move Pacino down into the bottom three and move Duvall up a notch to the middle 3. Also agree with DMR I would happily bump Lewis for other actors. I acknowledge that he takes his roles seriously, but he often gets in the way with his grandiose approach. I think Dustin and Pacino used to be fine actors, but they mail it in these days by leaning too heavily on their crutches -- and their crutches annoy me.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: