Hulu Lakers/Buss fam documentary (August)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2022 9:00 am    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:
epic_ wrote:
hydrohead wrote:
The title is misleading. This is not the Story of the Los Angeles Lakers, but a Los Angeles Lakers story involving the Buss family era. Expansive for sure and compelling, but the Baylor-West-Chamberlin-Goodrich years are essentially tossed in the garbage with a title like that.

I guess you can say that.
Then it made sense to be why the title had "Legacy" in it. It's the Buss legacy.

With the Succession-like family clips (which I love) in the intro, it's not the Lakers story. It's the Buss' Lakers story. Hopefully, they go full Succession and don't gloss over too much, lol.

Well, they already showed a lot of Dr. Buss' playboy lifestyle so I guess not
vasashi17+
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2022 9:42 am    Post subject:

Love it so far…really diggin’ the vibes!

Speaking of which, that California Love mix in the intro is 🔥
Anybody know if there is an extended/full version of it in the wild? I got Game’s new album on loop and I’m feen’n for more of that nostalgic/Cali vibe.

Btw, I posted this earlier in the Jeanie thread, but it’s more appropriate here. You can catch more if the article/quotables in the link provided 👇🏼

vasashi17+ wrote:
Legacy: The True Story of the LA Lakers will be released Aug. 15 on Hulu.

Quote:
OC Register’s Kyle Goon

“Legacy: The True Story of the LA Lakers,” the latest offering of a number of Lakers-centric projects, unveiling new information might be beside the point. Director Antoine Fuqua got just a few minutes into the press day for the upcoming Hulu docu-series – staged at the team’s practice facility with a dozen former players – when he said the quiet part out loud.

“You have to remember, there’s a lot of misinformation out there as well,” he said, prompting more than a few chuckles. “There’s TV shows and other things out there that are not correct.”

It is tempting to view Legacy as the team’s attempt to straighten the record. Many of the principals encourage the idea. The recent shadow hanging over this release has been the dramatized HBO series Winning Time – a series that emphasizes the more lurid excesses of the early Showtime Lakers era and has been mostly shunned by its subjects.

Those former players who even admit to watching it (many claim they never will) say that HBO cheapened their story, and at times even got it wrong. Said Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, for example: “There’s always some stuff out there that’s not accurate, or way off course. And this gives me an opportunity to have my say, and be accurate, and hopefully people who watch this film understand it’s the real deal.”

But what Legacy might be, more accurately, is a counterbalance. It doesn’t so much push against other accounts as accentuate other sides of the story. As opposed to casted actors, Legacy prides itself on its first-person interviews of more than 75 key figures in the franchise’s history. Said Fuqua: “If someone disagreed, then they said it on film.”

It might seem surprising that the filmmakers got interviews with figures like former team president Jim Buss on his family squabbles that led to his ouster, or Jerry West whose frosty relationship with the franchise has been going on two decades. But it was a point of pride for the filmmakers that they tried to get everyone to talk.

That, of course, spans other eras including the Shaq-and-Kobe threepeat, and Bryant’s success later in the decade. But the filmmakers were also suddenly confronted by the history happening around them: James’ arrival in 2018; Bryant’s shocking death in 2020; the franchise’s 17th championship in the NBA bubble.

It was difficult, the filmmakers acknowledge, to try to get people to talk about Bryant on camera. Even today, it’s a raw wound for many of the Lakers’ top figures.

“You just have to be very delicate about it and human about it, and understanding you may not get that conversation on that day,” he said. “You have to wait. You may not ever get it.”

The sprawl of the documentary is tied to earth by the chronicle of the Buss family, starting with Jerry Buss’ entry into the NBA fray in 1979. In early episodes, he’s colored by all his flash and his foibles: Grainy, intimate footage of family vacations are interspersed with tales of his distance from his kids for much of their childhoods, and the film doesn’t exactly counter some of Winning Time’s characterizations of Buss as a gleeful playboy with much younger models on his arm at all times.

But there is a strong push by the filmmakers and family alike to show the side of Buss that made him such a charismatic figure and one still beloved a decade after his death. Abdul-Jabbar described how much closer he felt to Buss than all the team owners he had known before; former employees describe his warmth and confidence.

An anecdote that Mann hated to leave on the cutting room floor: Buss once called veteran team executive (now president of business operations) Tim Harris to leave tickets for “my guy at Southwest.” What Harris assumed was an airline executive actually turned out to be a baggage handler whom Buss had befriended in Burbank.

Legacy leans into a Mark Cuban quote in the documentary trailer about the Lakers’ story mirroring another HBO show: Succession. The start of the documentary drums up the drama by sitting each of the Buss children down on set, and Fuqua called Jerry Buss and his vision for the franchise, and his desire to hand off his life’s passion to his children as “the bloodline” of the entire series.

“If the Lakers aren’t doing well, the Buss family is not doing well,” Mann said. “And it’s not a cheap business to run. So being able to document the success of the Lakers up and down, and also the success of the Buss family was really fascinating.”

https://www.ocregister.com/2022/08/08/in-new-lakers-documentary-series-buss-family-players-give-their-side-of-the-story

https://tenor.com/bpmLM.gif

non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2022 4:09 pm    Post subject:

They used a lot of my Westhead furor footage. A lot. They were stumped for that, the NBA had nuttin. Funny they wanted the same Pat/Chick clip that 30/30 used. It showed Pat saying that Dantley took (Purvis) Short to the laundry and Chick goes, "He took the shorts to the laundry?!" Pat says, "Haha. OK, Chick, I'll give you that one..." That came from a Chick retrospective in 1987 when he hit 2000 straight games at Utah. That's literally the ONLY footage I've ever seen of Pat in that role.

Only thing so far I've never seen was the snippet of McKinney's presser accepting the coaching gig. I don't know WHERE they got that from.

I'm in the credits, but they whiz by, haha. I am thanked along w/ Snoop, Dre, and Cube tho. It was a typical Cube, Dre, Snoop, NPZ collabo.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2022 4:15 pm    Post subject:

hydrohead wrote:
The title is misleading. This is not the Story of the Los Angeles Lakers, but a Los Angeles Lakers story involving the Buss family era. Expansive for sure and compelling, but the Baylor-West-Chamberlin-Goodrich years are essentially tossed in the garbage with a title like that.

I changed title. I didn't know the format at all when I originally created the thread so I just made it a generic Laker doc title. Changed it to include Bussfam. I was also told that it would be heavier on the 80s, but was never specifically told that it wouldn't include content on the earlier decades. I believe they're going up to 1991 at least, tho. The Hulu rep asked about a 1991 preseason cliip I have on YT that discusses Dunleavy's hire. I know they're gonna use that if it does go to 91. But it's obvious they would want to get the Jordan Magic thing covered. I would hope that if they talk about the 91 Finals that they dispel the notion that Scott P "locked Magic down", which was a convenient media concoction. Magic wasn't guarded by Scott 1:1 for more than Gm2. That's a personal sticking point w/ me that makes me wince when I see it.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2022 4:26 pm    Post subject:

spflakers wrote:
Watched the first episode and really liked it, excited for second part and then the rest as they come. I had never seen footage of Magic's summer league game in '79 so that was cool. Also Jimmy Goldstein complaining about Buss raising courtside prices was fantastic. And the Buss kids (especially the ones we don't always hear a lot from) are giving some great insight into Jerry and the family dynamics, which is interesting because it's what we're still in part talking about 40-plus years later. Compared to Winning Time, there were 100 percent fewer scenes of Magic having sex, and they somehow don't have footage of the one-on-one game played in tuxes between Norm and Magic (maybe because that was ludicrously made up on the HBO show? Dunno.). Yet it certainly still dives into Buss and Magic's love of the ladies (the Today show footage was pretty wild).

And it's fun seeing NPZ clips out in the wild (the Phoenix walkthrough, right? Among others, I'm sure).

Sup, homie spf. I appreciate the depth of your memory about the crap I've uploaded for years. You're one of a very few old footage weirdos like me, but weird in a good weird sense. Yep, re: AM shootaround footage. They were looking for NON-hoops stuff because they were constrained by the NBA to make only 20% of it ON court action. Filler stuff that bolstered the points they were making, in other words. I didn't see any BS w/ the Westhead thing because it is the first time that any show ever delved into that subject AND had interview and post-incident footage to back it up. The 30/30 Lakers/Celtics docu did touch on that for a second or so, but not in any depth for the same "can't find footage of it" issue. So I was glad to provide that stuff which they edited and inserted in an interesting manner. It was dribs and drabs here and there. They liked the clip of Magic w/ his purple clothes bag on his shoulder. Earvin sized up the reporters and looked scared. He was lookin around very nervously for him and he obviously had been told from Dr. B NOT to comment until he talked to him.

The big part is that they showed Dr. B saying how they were in the process of replacing Westhead before the Magic blow up. Chick, who was an assistant GM of sorts, corroborated that and I know Chicky was for the Lakers, but he wasn't a willful liar. The media couldn't wrap all that nuance up so they just said Magic got Paul fired, period. They pulled the same sh in 96 with "Magic ruined the season". That is an absolute crock that proves they didn't even watch that season. Team was 500ish and losing all the time to teams like Philly. They had seven 1 pt games and zero OTs that year, most of the 1s were Ls. They were snakebitten til Magic came back and then they went 30-11 or so and the Rockets were the champions w/ Hakeem making Vlade look like he wasn't even there. And Horry/Smith were on fire. Sh was ridiculous. Magic had nothing to do w/ that and Ceballos has said twice (then and 20 yrs later) that he went to Havasu over a personal matter, not because of Magic. Does the media change the story accordingly? No, they're always infallible.
Hector the Pup
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2022 5:44 pm    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
hydrohead wrote:

I changed title. I didn't know the format at all when I originally created the thread so I just made it a generic Laker doc title. Changed it to include Bussfam. I was also told that it would be heavier on the 80s, but was never specifically told that it wouldn't include content on the earlier decades. I believe they're going up to 1991 at least, tho. The Hulu rep asked about a 1991 preseason cliip I have on YT that discusses Dunleavy's hire. I know they're gonna use that if it does go to 91. But it's obvious they would want to get the Jordan Magic thing covered. I would hope that if they talk about the 91 Finals that they dispel the notion that Scott P "locked Magic down", which was a convenient media concoction. Magic wasn't guarded by Scott 1:1 for more than Gm2. That's a personal sticking point w/ me that makes me wince when I see it.

Based on an interview Jeannie and Fuqua gave, it goes at least through Lebron's first year. They're still cutting the last episodes.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2022 8:29 pm    Post subject:

Hector the Pup wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:
hydrohead wrote:

Based on an interview Jeannie and Fuqua gave, it goes at least through Lebron's first year. They're still cutting the last episodes.

Hm. Makes sense, but first I've heard that. I don't think the Hulu bro mentioned it. Nice d00d, btw, younger than me, but he was very well-versed w/ all the Laker history/drama. He was asking for my personal takes on some really obscure tidbits there. I would've liked more on the earlier decades, I suppose, but for the purpose of a video documentary that requires quite a lot of footage to convey a decade, it's impossible to do the 60s and 70s the same way they're currently going with this. And the NBA like many TV and music entitles (save for KISS) were absolutely oblivious to recording/saving sh for posterity. I'm a Van Halen fan, for example. It's a crying shame they didn't record themselves in the early years. NBA did the same crap in the 70s. There are only 13 known full NBA games with Pistol Pete still extant.
blackmamba08
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2022 1:49 am    Post subject:

It is absolutely great documentary. As someone who is born late 80s I was not able to watch Magic and KAJ and to have insight in all that is amazing. The story telling is great. It is absolutely pleasure to watch and cant wait for new episodes.
Lets go Lakers.
Hero Ball
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2022 4:44 am    Post subject:

KAJ gave out an important opinion regarding Westhead getting fired by the Lakers that can also be applied with the current KD-Nets situation.
epic_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2022 9:36 pm    Post subject:

Dang.
Buss had a deal to trade Worthy for Aguire and Dantley?
💜💛 🏆 👀 🍖 #18!!!
AD23
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2022 1:02 pm    Post subject:

epic_ wrote:
Dang.

Not Dantley ... Roy Tarpley. This is old news and well known.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2022 8:39 pm    Post subject:

AD23 wrote:
epic_ wrote:
Dang.

Important point: this was also one of West's first "do it and I quit" demands that I think eventually lead to him not being rehired. There's a lot more than meets the eye even to this day about how the Busses felt about West. Jerry getting up there at the podium to clarify something Dr. Buss said, etc. I would think those two were minor issues. Proof is in the pudding as West is w/ the Clippers. We'll never hear Jeanie's real takes about why she said no, but just by the fact that she did portends to problems that she had with him. She was there during the 80s and talked to her dad. I think Dr. Buss trusted West, but as we know, West is a complex figure.
TDRock
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2022 8:48 pm    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
They used a lot of my Westhead furor footage. A lot. They were stumped for that, the NBA had nuttin. Funny they wanted the same Pat/Chick clip that 30/30 used. It showed Pat saying that Dantley took (Purvis) Short to the laundry and Chick goes, "He took the shorts to the laundry?!" Pat says, "Haha. OK, Chick, I'll give you that one..." That came from a Chick retrospective in 1987 when he hit 2000 straight games at Utah. That's literally the ONLY footage I've ever seen of Pat in that role.

Only thing so far I've never seen was the snippet of McKinney's presser accepting the coaching gig. I don't know WHERE they got that from.

I'm in the credits, but they whiz by, haha. I am thanked along w/ Snoop, Dre, and Cube tho. It was a typical Cube, Dre, Snoop, NPZ collabo.

That's awesome, congrats!

I'm way more into documentaries than I am something like the HBO fiction thingme, so imma check this one out.
Hero Ball
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2022 9:18 pm    Post subject:

It seems Lady Rambis will always be at Jeannie's side for better or worse.

Based on the docu, they've been together from the bottom.
epic_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2022 10:18 pm    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
AD23 wrote:
epic_ wrote:
Dang.

Important point: this was also one of West's first "do it and I quit" demands that I think eventually lead to him not being rehired. There's a lot more than meets the eye even to this day about how the Busses felt about West. Jerry getting up there at the podium to clarify something Dr. Buss said, etc. I would think those two were minor issues. Proof is in the pudding as West is w/ the Clippers. We'll never hear Jeanie's real takes about why she said no, but just by the fact that she did portends to problems that she had with him. She was there during the 80s and talked to her dad. I think Dr. Buss trusted West, but as we know, West is a complex figure.

Yea. I wonder if they'll get into any of the post GM West stuff
💜💛 🏆 👀 🍖 #18!!!
Hero Ball
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2022 4:05 am    Post subject:

epic_ wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:
AD23 wrote:
epic_ wrote:
Dang.

They will.

The series willl cover up to Lebron era.
epic_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2022 7:48 am    Post subject:

Hero Ball wrote:
epic_ wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:
AD23 wrote:
epic_ wrote:
Dang.

They will.

I was referring to the dynamics of the Busses and West, and how much detail they'll get into regarding that. Stay tuned to find out
💜💛 🏆 👀 🍖 #18!!!
Lakesh0wtime
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2022 12:00 pm    Post subject:

Gonna get chills when the Kobe episodes come out.

Happy Birthday Mamba! Cool post from Lebron

https://www.instagram.com/tv/ChnUB05jUb4/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2022 12:03 pm    Post subject:

Hero Ball wrote:
epic_ wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:
AD23 wrote:
epic_ wrote:
Dang.

They will.

They'll hopefully stop at the 2020 championship b/c the moves thereafter...ugh.
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2022 12:03 pm    Post subject:

The fact that current team is a mess definitely put a damper on the show. I have no interest of watching it.
1995Lakers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2022 12:44 am    Post subject:

Looks like they will give some shine on the Lakeshow Lakers from 1993-1999 before the rise of the dynasty. It was a steady collection of talent and assets after the Showtime guys left culminating in arguably the most talented Lakers team possibly ever in 1998 with 4 all stars but a lack of maturity culminating in embarrassing sweeps to the Jazz and Spurs respectively.
hydrohead
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2022 5:00 am    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
AD23 wrote:
epic_ wrote:
Dang.

The talk about Buss being undermined by West’s “Clarification” was very telling. Jeanie really took it as a front to her Dad. Didn’t know even that situation cause some ill will.
Although West was right, you don’t want to show up your bosses. I’m guessing Doc Buss wanted to not come under fire for putting a coach without experience in the role of Head Coach. In a way, West blowing up the press conference helped deflect from that little detail.
Hero Ball
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2022 5:18 am    Post subject:

SGV-Laker fan wrote:
The fact that current team is a mess definitely put a damper on the show. I have no interest of watching it.

So you're a happy ending type of guy.

You probably like watching movies from the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

I on the other hand, love me some Game of Thrones.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2022 9:05 am    Post subject:

1995Lakers wrote:
Looks like they will give some shine on the Lakeshow Lakers from 1993-1999 before the rise of the dynasty. It was a steady collection of talent and assets after the Showtime guys left culminating in arguably the most talented Lakers team possibly ever in 1998 with 4 all stars but a lack of maturity culminating in embarrassing sweeps to the Jazz and Spurs respectively.

Excellent. The last place we'll see it. NBA doneskied all my stuff after 14 years. They're finally putting the axe on old channels that never monetized their content. Why, who knows. They wanna reduce the amount of free advertisement of their sport, I guess. I can still view my old vids at least, just no one else can. Always knew it would happen out of the blue some day, I remember thinking about that over a decade ago.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2022 9:11 am    Post subject:

TDRock wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:

That's awesome, congrats!

I'm way more into documentaries than I am something like the HBO fiction thingme, so imma check this one out.

Give your hot takes on this series thus far? What if anything has piqued your interest so far?

I think the 2nd and 3rd epis were better than the first and that 3 was more interesting than 2. They swept all the way to 1989 in Ep 3, which I didn't expect, so the got 7 more epis to cover w/ everything else. Hopefully the Sedale years are given a decent chew. It's a "lost era" for anyone, but Gen X fans and older. Tbh, I enjoyed 91-93 quite a bit. I hope they will expose the screwjob in the final secs of regulation against PHX in Gm 5. Refs didn't want the Suns to get dumped by the 8th seed and the Lakers unfortunately were in a place to allow the refs to get cute. I've been annoyed about that ending for years. I remember Big Nasty Joe McDonnell going off on that a few times, too. One of the things I liked about him -- he took that up as a soapbox issue like I did.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: