Curry says 2017 Warriors would beat 2001 Lakers
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

 
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Megaton
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 18 Feb 2015
Posts: 22575

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2022 3:37 pm    Post subject:

Sorry Curry but no.

Draymond Green trying to defend Shaq would be the most hilarious event of the series. Kobe can defend Durant and make him shoot inefficiently. Fox can handle Klay just like he was able to handle Peja, who would basically be Klay Thompson on steroids in today’s NBA.

Lakers were just as good of a defensive team as they were offensively. Warriors meanwhile have a black hole on defense being Curry, and a small front court that would get curb stomped by Shaq every time.

Durant would be the X factor in that series obviously, but it would rely on him shooting efficiently the entire series, which I don’t think he would be able to. And they aren’t even a much better 3 point shooting team considering if you compared the 3pt% of both finals teams. Fisher was a killer 3 point shooter in those playoffs too.
_________________
Dennis Schroder: https://media.tenor.com/images/3c15249955860a4b16b59e8ae035fb75/tenor.gif
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
focus
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 23 May 2012
Posts: 2323

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2022 4:02 pm    Post subject:

I always wondered how the Spurs got away with putting Malik Rose on Shaq. I guess Draymond would be like that.

Phil v. his student coaching. Advantage Phil.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
miggz23
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 29 Nov 2018
Posts: 4191

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2022 4:51 pm    Post subject:

governator wrote:
Marcellus: 2017 finals GS 3pt% is equal to… drum roll… 2001 finals Lakers 3pt%


Here some season 3pt shooting stats of both teams.

3pts made total - Lakers 439 to Warriors 982
3pts per game - Lakers 5.4 to Warriors 12.0
3pts percentage - Lakers 34.4% to Warriors 38.3%
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
miggz23
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 29 Nov 2018
Posts: 4191

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2022 5:03 pm    Post subject:

nickuku wrote:
LakesGnrLake wrote:
nickuku wrote:
Are you guys forgetting about KD? I don't know who wins but Kobe could never guard KD well. No one can.


Kobe guards KD, makes him take 30 shots to get 23 points. KD uses twitter burner account to talk about how KD was upset at the things Lakers fans were saying to him on sideline. Lakers in 5


This is dumb. No one shuts down KD like that.


Yea seriously... KD put up easy work numbers while with GS compare to how he got his numbers with OKC/Nets.

People don't understand Curry/Klay's gravity just being on the court with him. Their off the ball action and movement just puts your defense in a tough spot. Kobe was a great one on one defender. Warriors offense does not rely on that. KD pretty much took advantage of all that floor spacing and one on one coverage he was getting because defenses can't focus on him. Warriors can easily expose Shaq on defense. If Shaq hangs back in the paint. Warriors bigs would easily wall off anyone defending Curry/Klay/KD. They will set screen on Kobe all day to free up who ever his guarding.


Last edited by miggz23 on Fri Jul 22, 2022 5:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 28 Jan 2006
Posts: 22418

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2022 5:04 pm    Post subject:

miggz23 wrote:
governator wrote:
Marcellus: 2017 finals GS 3pt% is equal to… drum roll… 2001 finals Lakers 3pt%


Here some season 3pt shooting stats of both teams.

3pts made total - Lakers 439 to Warriors 982
3pts per game - Lakers 5.4 to Warriors 12.0
3pts percentage - Lakers 34.4% to Warriors 38.3%


And the finals team 3pt stat?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
miggz23
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 29 Nov 2018
Posts: 4191

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2022 5:15 pm    Post subject:

governator wrote:
miggz23 wrote:
governator wrote:
Marcellus: 2017 finals GS 3pt% is equal to… drum roll… 2001 finals Lakers 3pt%


Here some season 3pt shooting stats of both teams.

3pts made total - Lakers 439 to Warriors 982
3pts per game - Lakers 5.4 to Warriors 12.0
3pts percentage - Lakers 34.4% to Warriors 38.3%


And the finals team 3pt stat?


Here's a complete breakdown... Both series went 5 games.

3p Made: Lakers 36 / Warriors 71
3p %: Lakers 48% / Warriors 38%
PPG: Lakers 100.6 / Warriors 121.6
FG%: Lakers 47% / Warriors 48%
FT%: Lakers 68% / Warriors 82%

People don't understand modern era offense. It is hard to defend. Lakers in 2001 is old school offense. They just don't score enough. The more they shoot 3s to keep up with the Warriors. The less efficient they get and the less effective Shaq gets.. No you can't slow down that Warriors offense. They make you play at their pace. Like I said they will trade your 2 for their 3. This is about scoring the ball at a high rate at the end.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
MJST
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 06 Jul 2014
Posts: 23056

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2022 6:15 pm    Post subject:

Alright everyone going "The 2001 Lakers would beat the 2017 Warriors" then needs to give credit to that team and it's ring vs the 2017 Cavs. Because I can guarantee you that the 2017 Cavs were a better team than the 2001 76ers. So none of this "Those rings don't count" stuff if ya'll think the 2001 Lakers team was a better team and their rings definitely counted.

Now aside from all that.

Let's look at the 2001 Lakers. You got Shaq, you got Kobe. Unguardable. You look at the 2017 Warriors. You got Steph you got Durant. Unguardable. You had Play Thompson as the third option that averages 20+ points a game and shoots 41% from three on 8 attempts a game. The most 3 points per game on the Lakers in 2001 was Rick Fox, whom took 3.4 a game at 39%. Klay doubles that on basically same percentage.

Also, no, the Warriors wouldn't be able to stop Shaq. They wouldn't be able to stop Kobe. But they will try to constantly switch the matchup through their screens to put Shaq on Durant. Because NOBODY on that team matches up with Durant. Especially the way he played that year.

2001 Shaq put up in the Finals 33 Points 15.8 Rebounds 4.8 Assists 3.4 Blocks

2017 Kevin Durant put up in the Finals 35.2 Points 8.2 Rebounds 5.4 Assists 1.6 Blocks

So yeah... everyone goes "Who is gonna stop Shaq? He was neat GOAT that 01 Finals." Okay.. then what was Durant in 2017 Finals?

What Kobe did and what Steph did you can argue can cancel each other out.

Alright so the third best player on that Lakers team was Derek Fisher.
The third best player on the Warriors was Klay Thompson...

After that for the Lakers, it's Rick Fox
After that for the Warriors, it's Draymond Green

After that for the Lakers, it's Robert Horry
After that for the Warriors, it's Andre Igoudala

After that for the Lakers, it's an old Horace Grant
After that for the Warriors, it's Shaun Livingston..

After that for the Lakers, it's Tyronn Lue ...
After that for the Warriors, it's David West...

Do ya'll understand how strong the 2017 Warriors are now in this matchup?

I have even reached Zaza in terms of the pecking order, and Ron Harper was 37 years old by that point, neither he, Lue nor Fisher is sticking with Steph. And Kobe can only guard one of Klay and Steph, and Rick Fox for as good a defender as he is, the Warriors run an offense that can keep them out of iso defensive moments and gets them wide open shots. It's a style the Lakers likely wouldn't be that familiar with.

Meanwhile the Warriors are very used to teams with unstoppable centers. Look at the numbers Jokic puts up on them. They don't worry about letting iso players score, their entire strategy would be to force Shaq, Kobe, Fox to run all game, not just on offense, but defensively chasing them around as well as being a three point shooting team that the Lakers would have to find a way to match.

The Lakers only chance would be to try to keep Golden State in the half court. The problem is, KD and Steph can get any shot they want in the half court too, when the game slows down.

So if anyone thinks it would be a cakewalk for the 2001 Lakers just because they have Shaq, then just remember, KD put up the same kind of numbers in 2017 too.
_________________
How NBA 2K18 failed the All-Time Lakers:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxMBYm3wwxk
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Nnamdi21
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 06 Mar 2009
Posts: 3643

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2022 6:52 pm    Post subject:

Lakers in 6 or 7

Lets look at each round comparison for both teams

2001 Blazers > 2017 Blazers

2001 Kings >> 2017 Jazz

2001 Spurs >>> 2017 Spurs (remember Kawhi and Duncan were out all series)

2001 Sixers << 2017 Cavs but you could make a case the 2001 Spurs were better than the 2017 Cavs.

So yes the opponents for the Lakers were tougher and it wasnt close.

Kobe + Shaq >> Curry + KD.

I give Shaq/kobe the huge edged because Kobe and Shaq played great defense
on command (yes Shaq was still a beast defensively when he showed up) while Curry gets exposed, especially back then. Although the scoring is identical, Kobe and Shaq are top 10 all time players while Curry and KD not so. But offensively i think they can equal each other out.

Klay/Draymond/Iggy vs Fisher/Fox/Horry. edge to the Warriors here because of Klay. I dont think Draymond would do much since we had the vets like Fish/Fox/Horry to push him around if he started his shenanigans. The Warriors toughest opponent, the 2017 cavs were soft up front, Iggy is comparable to Fish/Fox or Horry as he was at the end of his peak. Livingston/West = Horace/Harper/Lue

Team chemistry Lakers >> Warriors

The Lakers in that playoff run were just clicking on all cylinders both defensively and offensively while the Warriors just let KD iso to take over teams like the Cavs (their only opponent worthy of mentioning that year). That wouldnt really work if they met a monster of a team like the Lakers. who's chemistry would override any KD iso's. Phil would take advantage of this.


Coaching Phil > Kerr



Last edited by Nnamdi21 on Fri Jul 22, 2022 7:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
drae
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 13 Nov 2018
Posts: 13480

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2022 7:06 pm    Post subject:

Durant is literally unguardable at times. He'd just rise up over everyone. Like the Warriors not having anybody to shut down Shaq, the Lakers have no one that can shut down KD and that super high release of his. His release is so high there's very few people that can really contest it. Would be a very tough match up for them.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
miggz23
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 29 Nov 2018
Posts: 4191

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2022 8:29 pm    Post subject:

Nnamdi21 wrote:

I give Shaq/kobe the huge edged because Kobe and Shaq played great defense
on command (yes Shaq was still a beast defensively when he showed up) while Curry gets exposed, especially back then. Although the scoring is identical, Kobe and Shaq are top 10 all time players while Curry and KD not so. But offensively i think they can equal each other out.


Shaq defense will be limited vs the Warriors. Warriors don't have a low post guy that Shaq can just hang on to. Warriors don't play that type offense. That Warriors spread offense will be a killer for Shaq to keep up to... Warriors have 3 great shooters. Every time Shaq sags off down the paint. Easy free up screen for Curry/KD/Klay.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Nnamdi21
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 06 Mar 2009
Posts: 3643

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2022 8:50 pm    Post subject:

miggz23 wrote:
Nnamdi21 wrote:

I give Shaq/kobe the huge edged because Kobe and Shaq played great defense
on command (yes Shaq was still a beast defensively when he showed up) while Curry gets exposed, especially back then. Although the scoring is identical, Kobe and Shaq are top 10 all time players while Curry and KD not so. But offensively i think they can equal each other out.


Shaq defense will be limited vs the Warriors. Warriors don't have a low post guy that Shaq can just hang on to. Warriors don't play that type offense. That Warriors spread offense will be a killer for Shaq to keep up to... Warriors have 3 great shooters. Every time Shaq sags off down the paint. Easy free up screen for Curry/KD/Klay.


although Shaq would have issues on switches, he would mainly stick to Draymond who's absolutely guardable. He was usually the center in their small ball lineups. I'll take shaq down low vs Draymond and whatever else midget the warriors sends over to double over Draymond hitting 3s consistently.

Embiid and Jokic still played in that year vs the Warriors. they weren't ran off the court and Shaq is just a different beast.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Treble Clef
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 20 Nov 2012
Posts: 21033

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2022 10:19 pm    Post subject:

This is just silly. No matter how good or bad the Lakers have been, Curry has always been mediocre against them. Shaq would have destroyed them by himself.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
MJST
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 06 Jul 2014
Posts: 23056

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2022 12:33 am    Post subject:

Nnamdi21 wrote:
miggz23 wrote:
Nnamdi21 wrote:

I give Shaq/kobe the huge edged because Kobe and Shaq played great defense
on command (yes Shaq was still a beast defensively when he showed up) while Curry gets exposed, especially back then. Although the scoring is identical, Kobe and Shaq are top 10 all time players while Curry and KD not so. But offensively i think they can equal each other out.


Shaq defense will be limited vs the Warriors. Warriors don't have a low post guy that Shaq can just hang on to. Warriors don't play that type offense. That Warriors spread offense will be a killer for Shaq to keep up to... Warriors have 3 great shooters. Every time Shaq sags off down the paint. Easy free up screen for Curry/KD/Klay.


although Shaq would have issues on switches, he would mainly stick to Draymond who's absolutely guardable. He was usually the center in their small ball lineups. I'll take shaq down low vs Draymond and whatever else midget the warriors sends over to double over Draymond hitting 3s consistently.

Embiid and Jokic still played in that year vs the Warriors. they weren't ran off the court and Shaq is just a different beast.


The Warriors would be switching Shaq onto Durant to draw him to the perimeter all game and then have divers going to the basket and others around screens. Shaq would destroy Zaza, but Durant could put up the exact numbers Shaq did in his own form of dominance, so Shaq alone wouldn't win them the series. Curry would be putting up numbers similar to Kobe. So it's about if the rest of the Lakers could match what Klay does. And that's not forgetting David West, Shaun Livingston, Andre Igoudala, and Draymond Green and their production.
_________________
How NBA 2K18 failed the All-Time Lakers:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxMBYm3wwxk
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 28 Jan 2006
Posts: 22418

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2022 5:15 am    Post subject:

miggz23 wrote:
governator wrote:
miggz23 wrote:
governator wrote:
Marcellus: 2017 finals GS 3pt% is equal to… drum roll… 2001 finals Lakers 3pt%


Here some season 3pt shooting stats of both teams.

3pts made total - Lakers 439 to Warriors 982
3pts per game - Lakers 5.4 to Warriors 12.0
3pts percentage - Lakers 34.4% to Warriors 38.3%


And the finals team 3pt stat?


Here's a complete breakdown... Both series went 5 games.

3p Made: Lakers 36 / Warriors 71
3p %: Lakers 48% / Warriors 38%
PPG: Lakers 100.6 / Warriors 121.6
FG%: Lakers 47% / Warriors 48%
FT%: Lakers 68% / Warriors 82%

People don't understand modern era offense. It is hard to defend. Lakers in 2001 is old school offense. They just don't score enough. The more they shoot 3s to keep up with the Warriors. The less efficient they get and the less effective Shaq gets.. No you can't slow down that Warriors offense. They make you play at their pace. Like I said they will trade your 2 for their 3. This is about scoring the ball at a high rate at the end.


2001 Lakers' role players stepped up in the finals and drop 48% threes on 2001 style defense where you have to get loose from being grabbed, bumped, slapped, they're gonna feast on the no touch allowed defense. Lakers defense allowed 90ppg so they are very good. Lakers win
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 17 Aug 2008
Posts: 14397
Location: Earth

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2022 7:37 am    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
Alright everyone going "The 2001 Lakers would beat the 2017 Warriors" then needs to give credit to that team and it's ring vs the 2017 Cavs. Because I can guarantee you that the 2017 Cavs were a better team than the 2001 76ers. So none of this "Those rings don't count" stuff if ya'll think the 2001 Lakers team was a better team and their rings definitely counted.

Now aside from all that.

Let's look at the 2001 Lakers. You got Shaq, you got Kobe. Unguardable. You look at the 2017 Warriors. You got Steph you got Durant. Unguardable. You had Play Thompson as the third option that averages 20+ points a game and shoots 41% from three on 8 attempts a game. The most 3 points per game on the Lakers in 2001 was Rick Fox, whom took 3.4 a game at 39%. Klay doubles that on basically same percentage.

Also, no, the Warriors wouldn't be able to stop Shaq. They wouldn't be able to stop Kobe. But they will try to constantly switch the matchup through their screens to put Shaq on Durant. Because NOBODY on that team matches up with Durant. Especially the way he played that year.

2001 Shaq put up in the Finals 33 Points 15.8 Rebounds 4.8 Assists 3.4 Blocks

2017 Kevin Durant put up in the Finals 35.2 Points 8.2 Rebounds 5.4 Assists 1.6 Blocks

So yeah... everyone goes "Who is gonna stop Shaq? He was neat GOAT that 01 Finals." Okay.. then what was Durant in 2017 Finals?

What Kobe did and what Steph did you can argue can cancel each other out.

Alright so the third best player on that Lakers team was Derek Fisher.
The third best player on the Warriors was Klay Thompson...

After that for the Lakers, it's Rick Fox
After that for the Warriors, it's Draymond Green

After that for the Lakers, it's Robert Horry
After that for the Warriors, it's Andre Igoudala

After that for the Lakers, it's an old Horace Grant
After that for the Warriors, it's Shaun Livingston..

After that for the Lakers, it's Tyronn Lue ...
After that for the Warriors, it's David West...

Do ya'll understand how strong the 2017 Warriors are now in this matchup?

I have even reached Zaza in terms of the pecking order, and Ron Harper was 37 years old by that point, neither he, Lue nor Fisher is sticking with Steph. And Kobe can only guard one of Klay and Steph, and Rick Fox for as good a defender as he is, the Warriors run an offense that can keep them out of iso defensive moments and gets them wide open shots. It's a style the Lakers likely wouldn't be that familiar with.

Meanwhile the Warriors are very used to teams with unstoppable centers. Look at the numbers Jokic puts up on them. They don't worry about letting iso players score, their entire strategy would be to force Shaq, Kobe, Fox to run all game, not just on offense, but defensively chasing them around as well as being a three point shooting team that the Lakers would have to find a way to match.

The Lakers only chance would be to try to keep Golden State in the half court. The problem is, KD and Steph can get any shot they want in the half court too, when the game slows down.

So if anyone thinks it would be a cakewalk for the 2001 Lakers just because they have Shaq, then just remember, KD put up the same kind of numbers in 2017 too.



Thanks.

1- First, if they played in the same era they would already know each others style of play.

2- Second, I throw those scoring stats out the window because that series could have been more about Defense than about who shot more 3's. AND lots of D stuff that was permitted then, is not permitted now & on O lots of things now that would not work back in 2001 (players seem to carry, travel, etc.)

3- Third, the Lakers were both young and old; Kobe (22), Shaq (28), Horry (30), Fisher (20), Rick was only 31 and yes Grant was 35, Harper, Shaw, Lue, etc. But if you remember their play, they were all pretty tough on D.

4. And yes the Lakers never met such a 3 point scoring team; it may have never existed before and may never exist again. Sounds like lots of bodying up in 2001 but not so much in 2017.

Anyway just my O. Again a good matchup but don't trust Stat's in time
to guide you, is my only point.
_________________
Lakers need to build a freaking team !
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
miggz23
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 29 Nov 2018
Posts: 4191

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2022 12:02 pm    Post subject:

governator wrote:
miggz23 wrote:
governator wrote:
miggz23 wrote:
governator wrote:
Marcellus: 2017 finals GS 3pt% is equal to… drum roll… 2001 finals Lakers 3pt%


Here some season 3pt shooting stats of both teams.

3pts made total - Lakers 439 to Warriors 982
3pts per game - Lakers 5.4 to Warriors 12.0
3pts percentage - Lakers 34.4% to Warriors 38.3%


And the finals team 3pt stat?


Here's a complete breakdown... Both series went 5 games.

3p Made: Lakers 36 / Warriors 71
3p %: Lakers 48% / Warriors 38%
PPG: Lakers 100.6 / Warriors 121.6
FG%: Lakers 47% / Warriors 48%
FT%: Lakers 68% / Warriors 82%

People don't understand modern era offense. It is hard to defend. Lakers in 2001 is old school offense. They just don't score enough. The more they shoot 3s to keep up with the Warriors. The less efficient they get and the less effective Shaq gets.. No you can't slow down that Warriors offense. They make you play at their pace. Like I said they will trade your 2 for their 3. This is about scoring the ball at a high rate at the end.


2001 Lakers' role players stepped up in the finals and drop 48% threes on 2001 style defense where you have to get loose from being grabbed, bumped, slapped, they're gonna feast on the no touch allowed defense. Lakers defense allowed 90ppg so they are very good. Lakers win


Shot 48% with only made 36 whole series… Thats like 7 made per game. That’s not gonna get it done vs that high rate Warriors offense… Also they shot 48% vs those 76ers perimeter defense.

Key on Lakers defense is Shaq… He’s simply not comfortable being out in the perimeter that far. Whoever his guarding will be a screener to free up Curry/Klay/KD… Lakers can grab all they want but once that screen is set way on top of the 3pt line. Shaq will be left on an island. You double you leave someone wide open.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
MJST
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 06 Jul 2014
Posts: 23056

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2022 8:52 pm    Post subject:

miggz23 wrote:
governator wrote:
miggz23 wrote:
governator wrote:
miggz23 wrote:
governator wrote:
Marcellus: 2017 finals GS 3pt% is equal to… drum roll… 2001 finals Lakers 3pt%


Here some season 3pt shooting stats of both teams.

3pts made total - Lakers 439 to Warriors 982
3pts per game - Lakers 5.4 to Warriors 12.0
3pts percentage - Lakers 34.4% to Warriors 38.3%


And the finals team 3pt stat?


Here's a complete breakdown... Both series went 5 games.

3p Made: Lakers 36 / Warriors 71
3p %: Lakers 48% / Warriors 38%
PPG: Lakers 100.6 / Warriors 121.6
FG%: Lakers 47% / Warriors 48%
FT%: Lakers 68% / Warriors 82%

People don't understand modern era offense. It is hard to defend. Lakers in 2001 is old school offense. They just don't score enough. The more they shoot 3s to keep up with the Warriors. The less efficient they get and the less effective Shaq gets.. No you can't slow down that Warriors offense. They make you play at their pace. Like I said they will trade your 2 for their 3. This is about scoring the ball at a high rate at the end.


2001 Lakers' role players stepped up in the finals and drop 48% threes on 2001 style defense where you have to get loose from being grabbed, bumped, slapped, they're gonna feast on the no touch allowed defense. Lakers defense allowed 90ppg so they are very good. Lakers win


Shot 48% with only made 36 whole series… Thats like 7 made per game. That’s not gonna get it done vs that high rate Warriors offense… Also they shot 48% vs those 76ers perimeter defense.

Key on Lakers defense is Shaq… He’s simply not comfortable being out in the perimeter that far. Whoever his guarding will be a screener to free up Curry/Klay/KD… Lakers can grab all they want but once that screen is set way on top of the 3pt line. Shaq will be left on an island. You double you leave someone wide open.


And in any era of having to FULLY COMMIT to a double teams... against a team like the Warriors having to concede that either someone's gonna be wide open, due to the nature of that defense, or that you're gonna have to leave someone on Steph or Durant 1 on 1 and just pray for the best, is not a good thing. That is are we talking 2001 rules or 2017 rules?
_________________
How NBA 2K18 failed the All-Time Lakers:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxMBYm3wwxk
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
miggz23
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 29 Nov 2018
Posts: 4191

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2022 2:34 am    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
miggz23 wrote:
governator wrote:
miggz23 wrote:
governator wrote:
miggz23 wrote:
governator wrote:
Marcellus: 2017 finals GS 3pt% is equal to… drum roll… 2001 finals Lakers 3pt%


Here some season 3pt shooting stats of both teams.

3pts made total - Lakers 439 to Warriors 982
3pts per game - Lakers 5.4 to Warriors 12.0
3pts percentage - Lakers 34.4% to Warriors 38.3%


And the finals team 3pt stat?


Here's a complete breakdown... Both series went 5 games.

3p Made: Lakers 36 / Warriors 71
3p %: Lakers 48% / Warriors 38%
PPG: Lakers 100.6 / Warriors 121.6
FG%: Lakers 47% / Warriors 48%
FT%: Lakers 68% / Warriors 82%

People don't understand modern era offense. It is hard to defend. Lakers in 2001 is old school offense. They just don't score enough. The more they shoot 3s to keep up with the Warriors. The less efficient they get and the less effective Shaq gets.. No you can't slow down that Warriors offense. They make you play at their pace. Like I said they will trade your 2 for their 3. This is about scoring the ball at a high rate at the end.


2001 Lakers' role players stepped up in the finals and drop 48% threes on 2001 style defense where you have to get loose from being grabbed, bumped, slapped, they're gonna feast on the no touch allowed defense. Lakers defense allowed 90ppg so they are very good. Lakers win


Shot 48% with only made 36 whole series… Thats like 7 made per game. That’s not gonna get it done vs that high rate Warriors offense… Also they shot 48% vs those 76ers perimeter defense.

Key on Lakers defense is Shaq… He’s simply not comfortable being out in the perimeter that far. Whoever his guarding will be a screener to free up Curry/Klay/KD… Lakers can grab all they want but once that screen is set way on top of the 3pt line. Shaq will be left on an island. You double you leave someone wide open.


And in any era of having to FULLY COMMIT to a double teams... against a team like the Warriors having to concede that either someone's gonna be wide open, due to the nature of that defense, or that you're gonna have to leave someone on Steph or Durant 1 on 1 and just pray for the best, is not a good thing. That is are we talking 2001 rules or 2017 rules?


Does it really matter which rules they played on? I mean a skinny Reggie Miller alone didn’t have any issues putting up 24.3ppg vs the 00 Lakers in that era… Warriors have 3 better players and shooters that literally pull up anywhere with hands on their face. They do it at a high rate with efficiency. Want to hand check them? They will just draw a rip through foul against you. Curry one of the best at drawing fouls when you play him tight while shooting 3s. Reason they had to change rules a couple years ago and no longer reward you with FT’s.

Warriors offense was already a killer with just Curry/Klay/Green… Then you add KD to that mix is like putting steriods on that offense. Sure Shaq will dominate their bigs. But Shaq will be bbq chicken on that defensive end. Specially in 2001 with no zone defense.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Black20Ice
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 24 Jun 2005
Posts: 1762

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2022 5:18 am    Post subject:

Quote:
"I love what the Warriors are doing. Them little bodies they have, they wouldn't last in the 70s' and the 80s'. You know how much I love Steph Curry? You think he could take that beating Michael got against the Bad Boys Pistons? Come on, Dan. Please stop it. I mean, the game was so much more physical."


https://www.basketballnetwork.net/latest-news/you-think-he-could-take-that-beating-michael-got-against-the-bad-boys-pistons-charles-barkley-doesnt-think-steph-curry-could-play-in-the-80s
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 28 Jan 2006
Posts: 22418

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2022 6:16 am    Post subject:

Black20Ice wrote:
Quote:
"I love what the Warriors are doing. Them little bodies they have, they wouldn't last in the 70s' and the 80s'. You know how much I love Steph Curry? You think he could take that beating Michael got against the Bad Boys Pistons? Come on, Dan. Please stop it. I mean, the game was so much more physical."


https://www.basketballnetwork.net/latest-news/you-think-he-could-take-that-beating-michael-got-against-the-bad-boys-pistons-charles-barkley-doesnt-think-steph-curry-could-play-in-the-80s


In the battle of 2nd place (after 2001 Lakers of course):

https://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/bulls/draymond-green-believes-2017-warriors-would-beat-1998-bulls?cid=Yahoo&partner=ya4nbcs&chrcontext=WMAQ

According to Warriors center Draymond Green, he would bet on his own.

"I’m watching the 98 Bulls vs Utah in the Finals…" Green said in a tweet on Sunday night. "I can’t help but notice our 2017 team would’ve beaten these Bulls by a dub and these Jazz by 40 if they’re going to play these brands of basketball. And that’s why it’s dumb to compare Era's."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
LakesGnrLake
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 07 Apr 2011
Posts: 1121

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2022 7:54 am    Post subject:

If it's 2000 rules Lakers beat Warriors, they will just play physical with them and see if those three's keep falling late in the game/series. If it's modern rules the Warriors probably have the upper hand. I guess that's why we have 2k
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
mad55557777
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 29 Jun 2005
Posts: 15743

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2022 10:19 am    Post subject:

LakesGnrLake wrote:
If it's 2000 rules Lakers beat Warriors, they will just play physical with them and see if those three's keep falling late in the game/series. If it's modern rules the Warriors probably have the upper hand. I guess that's why we have 2k

the rule will determine the outcome. probably why each team has dominated their era.
just the hand checking rule and no defensive 3 will be devastating to the warriors.
it is that much easier to guard a shooter when you can "grab" his hand momentarily while following him

no defensive 3 means Shaq can literally sit in the paint and shut down all layups.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
krisobe
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 24 Jun 2005
Posts: 3302

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2022 10:23 am    Post subject:

mad55557777 wrote:
LakesGnrLake wrote:
If it's 2000 rules Lakers beat Warriors, they will just play physical with them and see if those three's keep falling late in the game/series. If it's modern rules the Warriors probably have the upper hand. I guess that's why we have 2k

the rule will determine the outcome. probably why each team has dominated their era.
just the hand checking rule and no defensive 3 will be devastating to the warriors.
it is that much easier to guard a shooter when you can "grab" his hand momentarily while following him

no defensive 3 means Shaq can literally sit in the paint and shut down all layups.



Would the 2001 Lakers beat 2017 Warriors in a 7 game series, neutral court bubble style, no fans, all players healthy... but with 2022-2023 RULES? Would the 2001 Lakers 15-1 team be that dominant over the 2017 Warriors 16-1 team?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
PenG_
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 01 Feb 2020
Posts: 8124

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2022 11:04 am    Post subject:

The violence in this move lol

https://twitter.com/HoopMixOnly/status/1551767767736516609
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
cathy78
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 21 Jan 2013
Posts: 1368

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2022 11:45 am    Post subject:

Even if Shaq wouldn't get called for some cheap fouls he would be a serious issue on defense. Even as a Lakers fan I am tempted to say the 2017 Warriors might win.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7
Jump to:  

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum






Graphics by uberzev
© 1995-2018 LakersGround.net. All Rights Reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Use.
LakersGround is an unofficial news source serving the fan community since 1995.
We are in no way associated with the Los Angeles Lakers or the National Basketball Association.


Powered by phpBB