NEW GENERAL FREE AGENCY/TRADE THREAD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 2591, 2592, 2593 ... 2655, 2656, 2657  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LakersRGolden
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2024 2:30 pm    Post subject:

logical24 wrote:
Conversation
๐‰๐š๐ค๐ž
@SixthManJake
โ€œA scenario where Jimmy Butler is traded for assets, then those are used to acquire Mitchell, is a plausible reality.โ€

-
@esidery
on Heat wanting D. Mitchell

Could we see Jimmy traded to LA??

Conversation
๐‰๐š๐ค๐ž
@SixthManJake
No ones talking about it butโ€ฆ

I just got a text from somebody VERY connected that Jimmy would have extreme interest in being traded to LA if the Heat choose to move on from himโ€ฆ

How do Laker fans feel about Jimmy in LA?

I would love Jimmy over here but i dont now what would it take to get him.

I would love Jimmy, but we would be following the clipper old vet model of "who can play tonight?" Deadly IF healthy.

But ofcourse that depends on price.
1995Lakers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2024 2:30 pm    Post subject:

SGV-Laker fan wrote:
logical24 wrote:
Conversation
๐‰๐š๐ค๐ž
@SixthManJake
โ€œA scenario where Jimmy Butler is traded for assets, then those are used to acquire Mitchell, is a plausible reality.โ€

-
@esidery

Conversation
๐‰๐š๐ค๐ž
@SixthManJake

I just got a text from somebody VERY connected that Jimmy would have extreme interest in being traded to LA if the Heat choose to move on from himโ€ฆ

another near 35 year old star? how long does the Lakers have to continue on with this? when can we just suck it up for a few seasons and build a real contending team with young stars.

STOP IT....Jimmy Butler is a special player with once in a decade intangibles that you make exceptions for. The one old guy who is so special I would make exceptions for. Give me old Butler with a small window over "Young guys" with half the character intangibles of Butler.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2024 2:33 pm    Post subject:

1995Lakers wrote:
SGV-Laker fan wrote:
logical24 wrote:
Conversation
๐‰๐š๐ค๐ž
@SixthManJake

-
@esidery

Conversation
๐‰๐š๐ค๐ž
@SixthManJake

another near 35 year old star? how long does the Lakers have to continue on with this? when can we just suck it up for a few seasons and build a real contending team with young stars.

STOP IT....Jimmy Butler is a special player with once in a decade intangibles that you make exceptions for.

Getting dinged it seems more and more. Hypothetically if we signed him whose team would it be. The best teams have a hierarchy

Last edited by Halflife on Wed May 08, 2024 2:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
miggz23
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2024 2:50 pm    Post subject:

$48M for Butler will be a tough salary match... You give up 3-4 young guys just trying to match his salary.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2024 2:56 pm    Post subject:

If riles wants to trade with us that should tell pelinka to run.
Lakesh0wtime
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2024 2:58 pm    Post subject:

Denny_Russo wrote:
Not a popular opinion given his recent decline and constant injury woes, but I'd say buy low on Ingram before some other team does, and then promptly send him to some kind of witch doctor to fix his durability issues (I'm sure Jeanie Buss knows a few). It's a massive gamble considering he gets hurt every season at the worst possible time, but the Pels have a winning record when he's healthy, and everyone saw how he dominated the Suns as the #1 guy a few years ago. It's possible we may never see that iteration of Ingram again, but it's not like the organization has many options.

Would like it for post Lebron but hard to fit BI in when we need a Center as well.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2024 3:01 pm    Post subject:

Which LA team is Butler talking about? Paul George for Jimmy Butler might actually make a lot of sense for both sides
Dominic1981
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2024 3:04 pm    Post subject:

I donโ€™t want any Heat players they get rid of. They clearly know when to cut bait on guys
1995Lakers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2024 3:15 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
Which LA team is Butler talking about? Paul George for Jimmy Butler might actually make a lot of sense for both sides

What do you mean what LA team???? Certainly not the historical jokes that came from San Diego. Jimmy Butler....a Clipper???? Doesnt even sound right. Paul George is a mentally soft weakling....perfect for being a Clipper. Kawhi is a weirdo...another perfect Clipper.....Jimmy Butler like Bron and AD, has no business being a Clipper.
nomoreshaq
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2024 3:31 pm    Post subject:

Butler + Filler from Clev to LAL
Dlo/Rui/AR + picks (from LAL and Miami) to Cavs
Spida + Filler frrom Clev to Miami

End result for us?

AD / Wood / Hayes
Bron / Butler / Vando / Reddish / Lewis
Gabe / Christie / JHS

Yeah. I don't think that's gonna work.
Brawn13
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2024 3:34 pm    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:

Yup. Heat wouldnโ€™t be open to trading him if they didnโ€™t think he was damaged goods. We need to learn from last 2 times
JUST-MING
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2024 3:49 pm    Post subject:

miggz23 wrote:
$48M for Butler will be a tough salary match... You give up 3-4 young guys just trying to match his salary.

Also dumps our youth for another OLD star player that canโ€™t stay healthy.
1995Lakers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2024 4:02 pm    Post subject:

For any other person u wouldnt take the risk for Butler. But this is Jimmy Freaking Butler. All star talent and Jordan-like intangibles. Only for Butler, you take the risk. Guy is a winner. Only Butler could take a game where he is completely (bleep) the bed like he did in Game 6 vs Boston last year and take over the way he did. NO ONE in the NBA could do what Butler did at that moment. No one else has the poise, confidence and resilience to do what he did - including AD and Bron.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2024 4:05 pm    Post subject:

Brawn13 wrote:
Halflife wrote:

Yup. Heat wouldnโ€™t be open to trading him if they didnโ€™t think he was damaged goods. We need to learn from last 2 times

Riles- better a year early than a year late.
miggz23
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2024 4:19 pm    Post subject:

1995Lakers wrote:
For any other person u wouldnt take the risk for Butler. But this is Jimmy Freaking Butler. All star talent and Jordan-like intangibles. Only for Butler, you take the risk. Guy is a winner. Only Butler could take a game where he is completely (bleep) the bed like he did in Game 6 vs Boston last year and take over the way he did. NO ONE in the NBA could do what Butler did at that moment. No one else has the poise, confidence and resilience to do what he did - including AD and Bron.

I don't know how the fit would work... He only shoots like 2 3pa per game. Defensively he's a beast. Not exactly the guy you want off the ball as a spot up shooter.

AD/Hayes
Lebron/Wood
Vando/Cam
Butler/MaxC
Gabe/JHS

You're giving up probably 3 of your top 5 shooters. Team going to need a plethora of shooters to surround those guys.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2024 4:28 pm    Post subject:

miggz23 wrote:

This is exactly what I was saying last night, yep. Though I love Butler as a player and think he would fit in well with LeBron and AD, you just have to trade too much to get him and it would gut your depth. And if even one star misses a lot of games, you don't have the depth to be able to win in the West consistently even if 2 of them are available.

Gutting your depth for a 35-year-old star is just not wise. At least Mitchell is just entering his prime, not to mention he's something like $13MM cheaper next season.
1995Lakers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2024 4:29 pm    Post subject:

miggz23 wrote:
1995Lakers wrote:

I don't know how the fit would work... He only shoots like 2 3pa per game. Defensively he's a beast. Not exactly the guy you want off the ball as a spot up shooter.

AD/Hayes
Lebron/Wood
Vando/Cam
Butler/MaxC
Gabe/JHS

You're giving up probably 3 of your top 5 shooters. Team going to need a plethora of shooters to surround those guys.

No but he did shoot well in 3s last year. His set shot 3 looks pretty effortless with great form and I do think his strong upper-body does help him in this regard.
Dominic1981
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2024 4:33 pm    Post subject:

1995Lakers wrote:

Taking Max guys in their age 35+ years is not smart. Butler would end up being another Chris Paul
1995Lakers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2024 4:37 pm    Post subject:

Dominic1981 wrote:
1995Lakers wrote:

Taking Max guys in their age 35+ years is not smart. Butler would end up being another Chris Paul

I would happily take a Paul-level player at age 35 and 36 with Butler's intangibles. Its going all in for a very short window but when you are Jimmy Butler (whose intangibles I trust even more than Kobe), Im rolling the dice with that big 3. But yea the salary matching is the most prohibitive part to all this. Not to mention Jimmy's amazing intangibles and skillset are somewhat duplicated by Bron.

Last edited by 1995Lakers on Wed May 08, 2024 4:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
JUST-MING
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2024 4:40 pm    Post subject:

2022 Lakers all over again.
1995Lakers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2024 4:43 pm    Post subject:

JUST-MING wrote:

Except Jimmy Butler has twice or more than Brick's bball IQ and ability to execute in the playoffs.
Japago
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2024 4:43 pm    Post subject:

Japago wrote:
People seem to be so fixated on getting a C that they're ignoring the other positions are small too.

The T'Wolves didn't even have Gobert last game. They defended pretty well with 6'9 Naz Reid at C.

They have size and athleticism across their team. Mike Conley has good athleticism even at his age.

I think it's difficult to have DLo, AR, Rui at negative size(for DLo and AR at least) and athleticism for their positions.

Replacing 2 of them is probably the way to go.

The Lakers still need offensive support behind LeBron and AD, so you gotta balance that out too.

Based on this, I have a trade idea after playing with the trade machine:

Lakers get:
DeJounte Murray
Dorian Finney-Smith
Day'Ron Sharpe

Hawks get:
Austin Reaves
Rui Hachimura
First Round Pick

Nets get:
Gabe Vincent
Jalen Hood-Schifino
First Round Pick

The beauty of these trades is the Lakers don't gain any salary, possibly allowing them to resign DLo.

Hawks get the player they've wanted from the Lakers. I think they may have interest in Rui because Saddiq Bey is a FA. IIRC, they were willing to trade Murray for AR(and salary filler) + a pick. Even if the price was higher, Rui should have value to them.

The Nets get pick for a 30 year year role player and a player behind a good young starter. They're a young team that can wait on JHS's development.

I think the Lakers may be get them at these prices in part because their picks should have value.

I really like DJM as a target because he solves a lot of the Lakers needs. He can actually drive to the basket and defend. He has size for a guard. He has play-making ability. He scores at the rate of a really good 3rd option. He's not even a downgrade as a shooter from AR based on this season.

DFS is a really good 3 and D guy. Sharpe would give the Lakers a back-up big with real size.

PG: DLo
SG: DJM
SF: DFS
PF: LeBron
C: AD

This lineup is a good, balanced lineup with offense and defense. This would play the bulk of minutes during games. But...

PG: DJM
SG: DFS/Christie
SF: Vando/DFS
PF: LeBron/Vando/DFS
C AD

Would give the Lakers some nasty potential defensive lineups.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2024 4:44 pm    Post subject:

1995Lakers wrote:
Dominic1981 wrote:
1995Lakers wrote:

I would happily take a Paul-level player at age 35 and 36 with Butler's intangibles. Its going all in for a very short window but when you are Jimmy Butler (whose intangibles I trust even more than Kobe), Im rolling the dice with that big 3. But yea the salary matching is the most prohibitive part to all this. Not to mention Jimmy's amazing intangibles and skillset are somewhat duplicated by Bron.

Yeah it really is about the salary-matching issues. Even at his age, Butler is still remarkably effective and his two-way intensity is awesome. Fit is not what I'm worried about, as his timeline pretty much matches LeBron's. It's just about what we'd have to trade away to get him. Our depth would be so severely compromised, as you have to trade at minimum 3 players away and possibly 4, 2 of which are starters. It just wouldn't work and it's not something we should do. I will say that I'd much prefer this to Trae Young, even with the age difference. Butler is a championship-level player. The fact that he's been the best player on 2 Finals teams that were clearly outmanned is a plus in his favor, not a negative.
JUST-MING
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2024 4:46 pm    Post subject:

1995Lakers wrote:
JUST-MING wrote:

Except Jimmy Butler has twice or more than Brick's bball IQ and ability to execute in the playoffs.

This team isnโ€™t making the play-in. Letโ€™s get the new head coach fired.

39 year old Kyle Lowry (veteran minimum)
36 year old Jimmy Butler (supermax)
40 year old Lebron James (supermax)
31 year old Anthony Davis (supermax)
36 year old Javale Mcgee (veteran minimum)

36 year old Patrick Beverley (veteran minimum)
37 year old Wesley Mathews (veteran minimum)
37 year old Joe Ingles (veteran minimum)
37 year old Jeff Green (veteran minimum)
39 year old Taj Gibson (veteran minimum)
36 year old Deandre Jordan (veteran minimum)
1995Lakers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2024 4:47 pm    Post subject:

Japago wrote:
Japago wrote:
People seem to be so fixated on getting a C that they're ignoring the other positions are small too.

The T'Wolves didn't even have Gobert last game. They defended pretty well with 6'9 Naz Reid at C.

They have size and athleticism across their team. Mike Conley has good athleticism even at his age.

I think it's difficult to have DLo, AR, Rui at negative size(for DLo and AR at least) and athleticism for their positions.

Replacing 2 of them is probably the way to go.

The Lakers still need offensive support behind LeBron and AD, so you gotta balance that out too.

Based on this, I have a trade idea after playing with the trade machine:

Lakers get:
DeJounte Murray
Dorian Finney-Smith
Day'Ron Sharpe

Hawks get:
Austin Reaves
Rui Hachimura
First Round Pick

Nets get:
Gabe Vincent
Jalen Hood-Schifino
First Round Pick

The beauty of these trades is the Lakers don't gain any salary, possibly allowing them to resign DLo.

Hawks get the player they've wanted from the Lakers. I think they may have interest in Rui because Saddiq Bey is a FA. IIRC, they were willing to trade Murray for AR(and salary filler) + a pick. Even if the price was higher, Rui should have value to them.

The Nets get pick for a 30 year year role player and a player behind a good young starter. They're a young team that can wait on JHS's development.

I think the Lakers may be get them at these prices in part because their picks should have value.

I really like DJM as a target because he solves a lot of the Lakers needs. He can actually drive to the basket and defend. He has size for a guard. He has play-making ability. He scores at the rate of a really good 3rd option. He's not even a downgrade as a shooter from AR based on this season.

DFS is a really good 3 and D guy. Sharpe would give the Lakers a back-up big with real size.

PG: DLo
SG: DJM
SF: DFS
PF: LeBron
C: AD

This lineup is a good, balanced lineup with offense and defense. This would play the bulk of minutes during games. But...

PG: DJM
SG: DFS/Christie
SF: Vando/DFS
PF: LeBron/Vando/DFS
C AD

Would give the Lakers some nasty potential defensive lineups.

Problem is Murray is at his best with the ball in his hands. This trade effectively limits Murray's abilities as a player and puts him in an uncomfortable role as possibly the 4th option - either he or D'Lo will be put in an uncomfortable role. It would be far better to pair Murray with Reaves but understanding that Reaves is the coveted player by Atlanta, it wont happen.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 2591, 2592, 2593 ... 2655, 2656, 2657  Next
Page 2592 of 2657
Jump to: