NEW GENERAL FREE AGENCY/TRADE THREAD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 2552, 2553, 2554 ... 2570, 2571, 2572  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lakersfan1211
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2024 11:24 am    Post subject:

Quote:
"Klay Thompson is very open to seeing his marketplace in free agency...It's gonna be the hardest call in his life to make if he does end up finding another spot to leave, as far as calling Steph Curry, calling Draymond Green, calling them and saying I'm gone."

@ShamsCharanian updates on Klay Thompson.
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2024 11:35 am    Post subject:

Pidge wrote:
pjiddy wrote:
MJST wrote:
pjiddy wrote:
I have zero confidence in this regime's ability to build through the draft. We sing the praises of the Buss bros a lot, but maybe it's time to rein that hype in a little.

Austin Reaves.

Yes, if they have a proven talent, it's drafting older, more mature players that get overlooked due to the league-wide proclivity for youth. It's something Jess Buss once said was something they leaned into; a zag to the league zig. It's very useful for getting future role players. When they've tried to draft future all-stars, it hasn't worked out. Jim Buss is the only Buss brother who can say he drafted a Laker that played in an all-star game as a Laker.

Out of the last four lottery picks (that we kept), three have been all stars. Only Lonzo hasn't. Which players have we drafted that were expected to be all-stars otherwise?

My point was they became allstars on other teams. *Other teams* developed them. The most successful one has been Randle, who was so stagnant here we didn’t even try to get an asset for him. We just let him go. DLO was sent out to get rid of the Mozgov contract. The Lakers don’t have the patience or the ability to draft and develop its own allstar. They would have to tank-probably for multiple seasons again—and luck into a talent so prodigious even they couldn’t miss it. They are not a “spot the raw diamond in the rough” type of franchise. So if you’re asking to trade Lebron/AD for picks, you are basically asking to sign up for a repeat of the last ten years, where you hope to combine all the assets you scooped up and mismanaged and package them into one allstar.
dcarter4kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2024 11:39 am    Post subject:

I wouldn't say the Lakers don't have the ability to develop their own talent.

Patience or ability to see long game? Sure.

But Ingram averaged 19 his last year here after one of the all time worse rookie years. DLo was showing signs of being a star but Magic hated him and the MozDeng deals. Kuz, Caruo, Reaves, Zubac arent all star level players but can make a good argurement the Lakes provided an environment for them to grow into the players they are today.

Now where I will not argue with you is the Lakers are terrible in regards to asset management. TERRIBLE. Don't have the foresight for a Presti in OKC or really just about any level headed GM.
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2024 2:21 pm    Post subject:

dcarter4kobe wrote:

But Ingram averaged 19 his last year here after one of the all time worse rookie years. DLo was showing signs of being a star but Magic hated him and the MozDeng deals. Kuz, Caruo, Reaves, Zubac arent all star level players but can make a good argurement the Lakes provided an environment for them to grow into the players they are today.

Now where I will not argue with you is the Lakers are terrible in regards to asset management. TERRIBLE. Don't have the foresight for a Presti in OKC or really just about any level headed GM.

Asset management goes hand in hand with development. The fact Randle finished his rookie deal and the Lakers simply waived him means they didn’t develop him enough to be a useful player nor create a trade market for him. Zubac was traded for a rental of Muscaa and he’s been anchoring the Clippers ever since. They’ve done better with older players because those players had to depend less on the Lakers to develop them.

It kinda sucks that this franchise finally shows some long game patience with a draft pick, but on JHS, who im not sure any team could turn into more than a backup guard.
lakersfan32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2024 2:44 pm    Post subject:

damn, johntay porter is no longer available
joeblow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2024 4:35 pm    Post subject:

lakersfan32 wrote:
damn, johntay porter is no longer available

The hardest hit are Laker "fans" with the infinitely dumb idea that the team should intentionally lose games.
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:42 pm    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:
dcarter4kobe wrote:

Asset management goes hand in hand with development. The fact Randle finished his rookie deal and the Lakers simply waived him means they didn’t develop him enough to be a useful player nor create a trade market for him. Zubac was traded for a rental of Muscaa and he’s been anchoring the Clippers ever since. They’ve done better with older players because those players had to depend less on the Lakers to develop them.

It kinda sucks that this franchise finally shows some long game patience with a draft pick, but on JHS, who im not sure any team could turn into more than a backup guard.

The Randle mismanagement was an abomination. There were like 3-4 versions of that dude that the lakers could have created and he would have had tremendous trade value. Instead the (bleep) Knicks pull it out of him
waterman40
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:18 pm    Post subject:

I wish we had drafted Jacquez when we had the chance....
CamReddish
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:38 pm    Post subject:

Cutheon wrote:
pjiddy wrote:
dcarter4kobe wrote:

The Randle mismanagement was an abomination. There were like 3-4 versions of that dude that the lakers could have created and he would have had tremendous trade value. Instead the (bleep) Knicks pull it out of him

What? He has no trade value even with how he has played on the Knicks. He isn't viewed as an asset around the NBA. The Knicks played better without him. Lol
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:37 pm    Post subject:

CamReddish wrote:
Cutheon wrote:
pjiddy wrote:
dcarter4kobe wrote:

What? He has no trade value even with how he has played on the Knicks. He isn't viewed as an asset around the NBA. The Knicks played better without him. Lol

You have no idea what you're talking about. I know 2 Knicks fans here in LA and they both disliked him last year, but admit they're missing him this year. And that's been the sentiment from pretty much every NY media talking head. He's been a good #2 bucket getter for them. He's making less money than Grayson Allen next year.

With Randle: 29-17
Without randle: 21-15
Kblo247!
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:59 am    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:
CamReddish wrote:
Cutheon wrote:
pjiddy wrote:
dcarter4kobe wrote:

You have no idea what you're talking about. I know 2 Knicks fans here in LA and they both disliked him last year, but admit they're missing him this year. And that's been the sentiment from pretty much every NY media talking head. He's been a good #2 bucket getter for them. He's making less money than Grayson Allen next year.

His value is to Thibs … OG also missed a bunch of games and that mattered more than anything to be honest

But Randle failed in LA and knew he had no big role so he asked to walk. He went to the pelicans and was getting booed alongside AD because he played no D and played dumb. He then went to NY and struggled to Thibs got him. Without Thibs he is not special in the league
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:57 am    Post subject:

Interesting comments about Laker player development.

The main point I am not seeing is the ongoing Laker strategy and pressure to build a roster to support a limited timeline for James since he joined the roster.

The focus was never player development. It has always been short term thinking and roster construction. Even annual trade deadline discussions and moves were based on the “short window” that James continues to push. Free agent acquisitions have been based on quick fixes, not sustainability.

All those players developed on other teams due to those teams strategy on roster building and willingness to be patient. Something Laker fan and the organization has never had.

Lakers chose to move all those young players. It worked, they got a ring and a deep run last year. Still to be determined what the team can do this year.

Hindsight is a beautiful thing. James still shocks with his level of play at this stage of his career. Most of those past decisions were based on the assumption that James would only have a couple quality years left. I assume the decisions with some of those young players and player development may have gone differently if they “knew” James would still be playing at such a high level. Maybe not? Klutch and James are not known for their patience either.

Interesting to consider though.
CamReddish
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:32 am    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:
CamReddish wrote:
Cutheon wrote:
pjiddy wrote:
dcarter4kobe wrote:

Reading through this thread and some of your early season takes, you have no idea what you are talking about, but I see you are back for the annual playoff bandwagon
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:16 am    Post subject:

Yeah one of the downsides of having a job and a life is i can’t post on here every single day to maintain my status as a true fan.
Kblo247!
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:15 am    Post subject:

Four Decade Bandwagon wrote:
Interesting comments about Laker player development.

The main point I am not seeing is the ongoing Laker strategy and pressure to build a roster to support a limited timeline for James since he joined the roster.

The focus was never player development. It has always been short term thinking and roster construction. Even annual trade deadline discussions and moves were based on the “short window” that James continues to push. Free agent acquisitions have been based on quick fixes, not sustainability.

All those players developed on other teams due to those teams strategy on roster building and willingness to be patient. Something Laker fan and the organization has never had.

Lakers chose to move all those young players. It worked, they got a ring and a deep run last year. Still to be determined what the team can do this year.

Hindsight is a beautiful thing. James still shocks with his level of play at this stage of his career. Most of those past decisions were based on the assumption that James would only have a couple quality years left. I assume the decisions with some of those young players and player development may have gone differently if they “knew” James would still be playing at such a high level. Maybe not? Klutch and James are not known for their patience either.

Interesting to consider though.

Not known for patience and it would still be jarring if they developed here at a slower rate because he’s better than the developed Ingram, Randle and Kuzma right now when they had time to get better and no expectations 😂

Let that sink in. Lebron at 39 is better both ways than Ingram, Kuzma, Ball, or Randle still all these years later and will probably be better next year and the year after too. And in the fact he’s healthier and you can see him being fed up with them
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:25 am    Post subject:

Lakersfan1211 wrote:
Quote:
"Klay Thompson is very open to seeing his marketplace in free agency...It's gonna be the hardest call in his life to make if he does end up finding another spot to leave, as far as calling Steph Curry, calling Draymond Green, calling them and saying I'm gone."

@ShamsCharanian updates on Klay Thompson.

There’s organizational capital to keeping that trio together, at least through their useful playing careers (e.g. it doesn’t matter that Tony Parker had a cup of coffee in Charlotte). They’ll find a way to pay him more than his market unless someone just jumps the shark with an offer.

The real action is in how they retool their roster and finances around that signing. Will be interesting if CP3 re-ups at a much lower number, if they deal Wiggins, do they move off of Looney’s money. Stuff like that.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:51 pm    Post subject:

It’s really hard to judge what value Trae Young really has, he was out with a torn finger, he doesn’t seem happy in ATL knowing that he hasn’t been put in position to be successful I think all these play a big factor in why the Hawks eventually never got the chance to have success, I still think he can be a great piece for a team who is looking to get to the next level
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:32 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
It’s really hard to judge what value Trae Young really has, he was out with a torn finger, he doesn’t seem happy in ATL knowing that he hasn’t been put in position to be successful I think all these play a big factor in why the Hawks eventually never got the chance to have success, I still think he can be a great piece for a team who is looking to get to the next level

Tre Young is a terrible idea.

6'0 ball dominant PG with zero defense. His stats are nice but as 3rd option, he gives you a fraction of that. If you think D'lo got picked on last year, Trae would wish he was D'lo on D.

And you gotta pay a superstars price to get him? No f'ing thanks.
Hanging from Rafters
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:23 pm    Post subject:

2019 wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

6'0 ball dominant PG with zero defense. His stats are nice but as 3rd option, he gives you a fraction of that. If you think D'lo got picked on last year, Trae would wish he was D'lo on D.

Duuuude!!!! Heck yea! We can’t say this loud or often enough. As the 3rd option he may not do as well as Dlo has and likely will be much worse defensively. We don’t need Young’s 25ppg on 37% from 3 as much as we need Dlo’s 18ppg at 41% from 3. Also, Trae is an excellent playmaker but that is with dominating the ball as a 1st option. We need Dlo’s 6apg without dominating the ball to go along with LBJ’s 8apg who is going to dominate the ball. Factor in the cost and Trae looks like a Westbrook kind of mistake.
LuciusAllen
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:30 pm    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:
Yeah one of the downsides of having a job and a life is i can’t post on here every single day to maintain my status as a true fan.

With the coming AI revolution, your lament will soon be a thing of the past!
miggz23
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:29 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:

All I know he is not worth any 3 key rotational players DLO/AR/Rui/Vando/Gabe and plus multiple picks, which is more likely 3 1st.

He's one of the biggest reason why ATL has not much success either. Anyone they put next to him has not elevated their game or the team because of his high usage. He also provide you close to zero defensively.

You also have to think about his fit in this team... His usage will dramatically decrease next to Lebron/AD... What does he provide off the ball? He's shooting is not actually considered elite either at career 35.5%. Very high turnover rate. Not to mention his size will be harder to hide than DLO/AR.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:45 pm    Post subject:

Hanging from Rafters wrote:
2019 wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

Duuuude!!!! Heck yea! We can’t say this loud or often enough. As the 3rd option he may not do as well as Dlo has and likely will be much worse defensively. We don’t need Young’s 25ppg on 37% from 3 as much as we need Dlo’s 18ppg at 41% from 3. Also, Trae is an excellent playmaker but that is with dominating the ball as a 1st option. We need Dlo’s 6apg without dominating the ball to go along with LBJ’s 8apg who is going to dominate the ball. Factor in the cost and Trae looks like a Westbrook kind of mistake.

He's such a bad idea I don't even care to spell his name correctly.

We've seen the model around Bron and AD that works.. Trae is the complete opposite of that - again. Now I concede Bron is older and thus more guard help/scoring/play making is needed but Trae is way too much. D'lo's fit is better. And to mortgage the future then get stuck with Young as our future is stupid. No way I want to rely on him to fight lottery appearances. He can't do it in the weaker East.

Now if we must go 3 star model Trae is the worst of the potential bunch which includes Mitchell, Murray, Young. Heck, Kyrie was once upon a time a light years better option.

We have all the scoring we need. We have enough playmaking. We need SIZE and a POA defensive guard who can hopefully shoot and play high IQ winning ball. White, Caruso, Jrue - those type of guys. Add in a cheap shooter and we're good.
miggz23
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:57 pm    Post subject:

2019 wrote:
2019 wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

We've seen the model around Bron and AD that works.. Trae is the complete opposite of that - again. Now I concede Bron is older and thus more guard help/scoring/play making is needed but Trae is way too much. D'lo's fit is better. And to mortgage the future then get stuck with Young as our future is stupid. No way I want to rely on him to fight lottery appearances. He can't do it in the weaker East.

Now if we must go 3 star model Trae is the worst of the potential bunch which includes Mitchell, Murray, Young. Heck, Kyrie was once upon a time a light years better option.

We have all the scoring we need. We have enough playmaking. We need SIZE and a POA defensive guard who can hopefully shoot and play high IQ winning ball. White, Caruso, Jrue - those type of guys. Add in a cheap shooter and we're good.

Yup...

I rather just offer Gabe+1st for Caruso/Torrey Craig... Then sign Drummond. Re-sign DLO and Christie. Then hope Lebron just opts in and roll with that next season.

The defensive versatility of this team would be really good. That team should fetch you 50+ wins.

DLO/Caruso/JHS
AR/Christie
Rui/Craig/Cam
Lebron/Vando
AD/Drummond/Hayes

But of course depending on what happen in the playoffs... Things can change.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:21 pm    Post subject:

miggz23 wrote:
2019 wrote:
2019 wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

Yup...

I rather just offer Gabe+1st for Caruso/Torrey Craig... Then sign Drummond. Re-sign DLO and Christie. Then hope Lebron just opts in and roll with that next season.

The defensive versatility of this team would be really good. That team should fetch you 50+ wins.

DLO/Caruso/JHS
AR/Christie
Rui/Craig/Cam
Lebron/Vando
AD/Drummond/Hayes

But of course depending on what happen in the playoffs... Things can change.

That's actual plausible plan - unless the nonsense people will soon be posting all summer. Maybe Caruso should start in place of AR - or - Vando for Rui to add bench punch but I don't loathe that roster.
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:20 pm    Post subject:

CamReddish wrote:
Cutheon wrote:
pjiddy wrote:
dcarter4kobe wrote:

Lakers just let Randle walk, an experienced GM would have gotten some future pick value back at the least. Randle was not worthless when they let him walk.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 2552, 2553, 2554 ... 2570, 2571, 2572  Next
Page 2553 of 2572
Jump to: