NEW GENERAL FREE AGENCY/TRADE THREAD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 187, 188, 189 ... 2579, 2580, 2581  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 10:28 am    Post subject:

WindyCityLakerFan wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
Woj said that the Lakers have moves they can make now but are waiting for Irving, so looks like I was right that the Lakers do have another deal on the table to pull the trigger on.

my guess is Utah

A few of the players (Beverly, Beasley, Vanderbilt) can't be traded until the first week of September.

And then the Jazz trades are dependent on whether Mitchell moves.

I was one of the first proponents of looking at Jazz players. I would be ok with this:

Conley (14m-ish buyout next season or you just keep him)
Beverly
Bogs

for

Russ
THT
2027 1st
as many 2nds

We would be taking on Conley's extra year here. But he's such an improvement as a fit over Russ thanks to his shooting, defense, and doesn't need the ball in his hands. He isn't great but a better fit. I just can't stomach sending a 2nd FRP for these guys who are good but older role players on expiring deals.
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 10:30 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
WindyCityLakerFan wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
Woj said that the Lakers have moves they can make now but are waiting for Irving, so looks like I was right that the Lakers do have another deal on the table to pull the trigger on.

my guess is Utah

A few of the players (Beverly, Beasley, Vanderbilt) can't be traded until the first week of September.

And then the Jazz trades are dependent on whether Mitchell moves.

I was one of the first proponents of looking at Jazz players. I would be ok with this:

Conley (14m-ish buyout next season or you just keep him)
Beverly
Bogs

for

Russ
THT
2027 1st
as many 2nds

We would be taking on Conley's extra year here. But he's such an improvement as a fit over Russ thanks to his shooting, defense, and doesn't need the ball in his hands. He isn't great but a better fit. I just can't stomach sending a 2nd FRP for these guys who are good but older role players on expiring deals.

But next summer, you only have $15m ish and MLE to round up the starting line up (assuming Conley, Bron, AD), this trade is not good enough
Lucky_Shot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 10:30 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Lucky_Shot wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Lucky_Shot wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

You do know that the Pels have a swap option for 2023? So tanking only helps the Pels.

With LBJ's extension and THT, we are nowhere near being able to max out Kyrie either.

damn didn't knew the 2023 pick had protections against us, we can make trades to get THT off the books pretty easy tho

Not really. If THT has another bad year, you may have to add draft picks to unload him.

He's only 21 and has tons of talent, on a reasonable contract. We wouldn't need to add a pick. He is an asset not a liability

I don't think teams agree.

If he has a bad year, he will pick up his option which is an overpay.

If he has a good year, he will opt out and now you have to pay him.

He hasn't had his break out year yet (but has been paid as if he did) so he's still a question mark for most teams. I don't think a lot of teams view him as a positive asset at his price point.

He's only 21, not 28, so he has time to break out. 11m is a good price for a player like THT: there will be a team out there who will take a chance and if he opts out that solves the original problem
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 10:33 am    Post subject:

Lucky_Shot wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Lucky_Shot wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Lucky_Shot wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

You do know that the Pels have a swap option for 2023? So tanking only helps the Pels.

With LBJ's extension and THT, we are nowhere near being able to max out Kyrie either.

damn didn't knew the 2023 pick had protections against us, we can make trades to get THT off the books pretty easy tho

Not really. If THT has another bad year, you may have to add draft picks to unload him.

He's only 21 and has tons of talent, on a reasonable contract. We wouldn't need to add a pick. He is an asset not a liability

He hasn't had his break out year yet (but has been paid as if he did) so he's still a question mark for most teams. I don't think a lot of teams view him as a positive asset at his price point.

He's only 21, not 28, so he has time to break out. 11m is about the price for a player like THT: there will be a team out there who will take a chance and if he opts out that solves the original problem

Not necessarily. If he wasn't Klutch and on the Lakers, I don't think he gets the deal he received based on his production at the time. I'm just saying that he's not a guarantee at all. He could be good, he could be bad, we don't know yet but he already received a sizeable contract extension.
vasashi17+
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 10:36 am    Post subject:

gng930 wrote:
JUST-MING wrote:
Everyone knows why they plan to have cap space in 2023.

For what though? Based on the current projections, it would be to strip the team to sign maybe a really good role player and then maybe a rotation piece with the room exception. That's the master plan?

Yep…

Let’s stop with the 2023 cap plan BS, please.

After the LABron extension, there is no cap plan for 2023. Like my guy @G said, you’re bringing in a 20m-30mish role player/s with that cap space next summer. We do not have enough for a max player from any tier (25%/30%/35%). We can get close to a 25% max player (~34m), but that only happens via a THT/Damien opt out.

This is simply a method in ducking the repeater tax hit. There’s really no other way to look at it.

Bron/AD/Ky at their maxes = 135.8m….meaning those 3 alone cap us out on a projected 136m salary cap for the 2023/24 season. The only way Ky gets a max bag is if we trade for him & his bird rights.

Then add roughly 28m (ie THT opt-in, Damien opt-in, Reaves QO at a minimum, MaxC, 2023 1st swap, tpMLE) to our team salary and we’re roughly at 164m in team salary with the tax line projected to kick in at about 165m. As you can see, we will be a tax payer, therefore classified as a repeat tax offender by rounding out our roster to 14 players.

However, if we go the 20mish role player 2023 cap plan and use the 5.9m rMLE once we’re capped out, we have roughly 23m in wiggle before hitting the tax line.

The plan appears to be a choice: be a legit title contender & pay the repeater tax OR be pretenders and duck the tax altogether.

Not everybody believes we’re instant title contenders with a Kyrie trade, but it’s hard to ignore we are legitimate as is with an ill-fitting Russ still in the saddle. Imho, the choice is obvious and you go for broke right the F now. Bron cannot be traded for the next 6 months & is likely not to be traded this season due to his max extension and Russ is an expiring that opens up only 20mish in cap space once he walks next summer. If there is a move to be had, you gotta make it now!

<insert the “but it’s not my money” trope here>
King Randle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 10:52 am    Post subject:

vasashi17+ wrote:
gng930 wrote:
JUST-MING wrote:
Everyone knows why they plan to have cap space in 2023.

For what though? Based on the current projections, it would be to strip the team to sign maybe a really good role player and then maybe a rotation piece with the room exception. That's the master plan?

Yep…

Let’s stop with the 2023 cap plan BS, please.

After the LABron extension, there is no cap plan for 2023. Like my guy @G said, you’re bringing in a 20m-30mish role player/s with that cap space next summer. We do not have enough for a max player from any tier (25%/30%/35%). We can get close to a 25% max player (~34m), but that only happens via a THT/Damien opt out.

This is simply a method in ducking the repeater tax hit. There’s really no other way to look at it.

Bron/AD/Ky at their maxes = 135.8m….meaning those 3 alone cap us out on a projected 136m salary cap for the 2023/24 season. The only way Ky gets a max bag is if we trade for him & his bird rights.

Then add roughly 28m (ie THT opt-in, Damien opt-in, Reaves QO at a minimum, MaxC, 2023 1st swap, tpMLE) to our team salary and we’re roughly at 164m in team salary with the tax line projected to kick in at about 165m. As you can see, we will be a tax payer, therefore classified as a repeat tax offender by rounding out our roster to 14 players.

However, if we go the 20mish role player 2023 cap plan and use the 5.9m rMLE once we’re capped out, we have roughly 23m in wiggle before hitting the tax line.

The plan appears to be a choice: be a legit title contender & pay the repeater tax OR be pretenders and duck the tax altogether.

Not everybody believes we’re instant title contenders with a Kyrie trade, but it’s hard to ignore we are legitimate as is with an ill-fitting Russ still in the saddle. Imho, the choice is obvious and you go for broke right the F now. Bron cannot be traded for the next 6 months & is likely not to be traded this season due to his max extension and Russ is an expiring that opens up only 20mish in cap space once he walks next summer. If there is a move to be had, you gotta make it now!

<insert the “but it’s not my money” trope here>

Well put and nice breakdown of the $ to support what you're saying. IMO there is a move coming....First Rob reportedly said point blank he will make whatever move in his power to make this team a contender and second, Bron does not sign an extension to be a pretender. Does it mean we get Kyrie? No...but there will be a deal with Russ that will make this team much better and a potential contender.
levon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 10:55 am    Post subject:

So we'd be giving up a first rounder and potentially multiple seconds for Patrick Beverley? A guy that might be plain bought out?

Bogs is not a good player and also has committed money beyond next year if I'm not mistaken. Getting off of Conley is a favor to the Jazz.

I'm missing the value for the Lakers. That's the worst iteration of a deal out of the rumored ones.

And I'm someone who really, really values Beverley despite his antics. Just replacing Russ with Beverley would have compounding effects. Just not at the price of Utah's other cruft and picks.
Lucky_Shot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 11:02 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Lucky_Shot wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Lucky_Shot wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Lucky_Shot wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

He's only 21, not 28, so he has time to break out. 11m is about the price for a player like THT: there will be a team out there who will take a chance and if he opts out that solves the original problem

Not necessarily. If he wasn't Klutch and on the Lakers, I don't think he gets the deal he received based on his production at the time. I'm just saying that he's not a guarantee at all. He could be good, he could be bad, we don't know yet but he already received a sizeable contract extension.

My argument is based on the current market value of his potential not production: there will still be a market for a guy with THT's talent level. Now I could be wrong but because his ceiling is pretty high, I think another team will make a bet on him at 22 years old for 11m even if he doesnt improve that much this season.

But side bet: THT goes to work this season and puts a crazy amount of pressure on the rim and puts together a really nice season.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 11:03 am    Post subject:

levon wrote:
So we'd be giving up a first rounder and potentially multiple seconds for Patrick Beverley? A guy that might be plain bought out?

Bogs is not a good player and also has committed money beyond next year if I'm not mistaken. Getting off of Conley is a favor to the Jazz.

I'm missing the value for the Lakers. That's the worst iteration of a deal out of the rumored ones.

And I'm someone who really, really values Beverley despite his antics. Just replacing Russ with Beverley would have compounding effects. Just not at the price of Utah's other cruft and picks.

I'd be ok with 1 FRP/2nds if we could get Conley/Bogs/Bev/Beasley.

There is no 2023 cap space plan, and getting 4 starters/rotation players for Russ would be phenomenal (but unrealistic) for us. This is a trade that is overwhelmingly lopsided in favor of the Lakers.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 11:05 am    Post subject:

I doubt we can get away with just offering 1 FRP, but if the Jazz took that:

Conley/Bev/Nunn
Reaves/Walker/Beasley
LBJ/Bogs
AD/Stanley
TB/Jones

Much better team. I just don't think it's realistic that we can get all that for just Russ/THT/1st/2nds.

We'd have some players to make in trades too (i.e. Nunn).
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 11:06 am    Post subject:

Lucky_Shot wrote:

My argument is based on the current market value of his potential not production: there will still be a market for a guy with THT's talent level. Now I could be wrong but because his ceiling is pretty high, I think another team will make a bet on him at 22 years old for 11m even if he doesnt improve that much this season.

I'm not sure there is that much enthusiasm around the league for THT.

He is overpaid for what he produces. He isn't on a cheap rookie contract.

He still can't shoot, and he didn't show any improvement last year.

The Lakers are deficient in talent, and yet no one thinks THT has a chance of starting for us.

If he was a free agent this season, I don't think any team would spend the MLE on him.
levon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 11:10 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
levon wrote:

There is no 2023 cap space plan, and getting 4 starters/rotation players for Russ would be phenomenal (but unrealistic) for us. This is a trade that is overwhelmingly lopsided in favor of the Lakers.

I mean maybe if you include Beasley? I was looking at your original proposal of Bev+Conley+Bogs for Russ+1st+2nds. I don't know that Beasley's a very good player either, frankly. And yet another guard.

Edit: And including our only other mid-level tradeable contract in THT? Far, far too much.
King Randle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 11:16 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
levon wrote:

This is actually a very good deal...besides Bev everyone of those players you can kick it out to and they can hit a shot. Conley, Bogs and Beasley...sure their defense isn't up to bar...but Bev can still be disruptive even though he's older. The only thing missing is a defensive big...I would do this trade if the Indy deal falters....reason is you get Hield and Turner and then possibly sign Dennis.
Lucky_Shot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 11:16 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
Lucky_Shot wrote:

The Lakers are deficient in talent, and yet no one thinks THT has a chance of starting for us.

If he was a free agent this season, I don't think any team would spend the MLE on him.

Players like THT don't grow on trees. Autin Reaves is a young good prospect and THT is 3 years younger than him
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 11:32 am    Post subject:

levon wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
levon wrote:

I mean maybe if you include Beasley? I was looking at your original proposal of Bev+Conley+Bogs for Russ+1st+2nds. I don't know that Beasley's a very good player either, frankly. And yet another guard.

Edit: And including our only other mid-level tradeable contract in THT? Far, far too much.

We can agree to disagree. But our main impediment is Russ's 47m takes up 3-4 rotation players. IF you want to win, and no Kyrie deal is there, and if we can get this for only 1 FRP, then it's a coup for the Lakers, not the other way around.
epic_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 11:34 am    Post subject:

https://twitter.com/TheLakersReview/status/1560319705402920961

Windy, why you taking the winds out of my sails?
💜💛 🏆 👀 🍖 #18!!!
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 11:34 am    Post subject:

Lucky_Shot wrote:
activeverb wrote:
Lucky_Shot wrote:

Players like THT don't grow on trees. Autin Reaves is a young good prospect and THT is 3 years younger than him

Yin hit on this with THT, and it's something I've also said, and that is that the player option next year for THT lowers his value to a possible acquiring team. If there were no option, I could at least get the logic of the notion that "we get a look at a young player with possible upside for two years at a fixed cost." But as Yin said, if he plays well, he opts out and now you have to pay him more, possibly quite a bit more, who knows. And if he plays poorly, which is a distinct possibility, he opts in and now you for certain have a negative asset on your hands. Not Westbrook negative, mind you, but a negative asset nonetheless. I'm sure that some teams will view THT more favorably than others, but it's probably a stretch to think that teams view him as a positive asset.

Reaves, on the other hand, sure, I think teams would view him as a positive asset.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 11:37 am    Post subject:

Lucky_Shot wrote:
activeverb wrote:
Lucky_Shot wrote:

Again, I don't know that GMs share your enthusiasm for THT. I just see a second round pick, who's on a bigger contract than he deserves, that hasn't really shown much to date.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 11:38 am    Post subject:

I might take Clarkson over Conley in the Jazz deal so we would be getting Bogs/Clarkson/Beverly
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 11:42 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
Lucky_Shot wrote:
activeverb wrote:
Lucky_Shot wrote:

Again, I don't know that GMs share your enthusiasm for THT. I just see a second round pick, who's on a bigger contract than he deserves, that hasn't really shown much to date.

He's living on hopes and dreams
JamezAmp
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 11:44 am    Post subject:

epic_ wrote:
https://twitter.com/TheLakersReview/status/1560319705402920961

Windy, why you taking the winds out of my sails?

It’s called reality. This was slim and none the whole time
Lucky_Shot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 11:51 am    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
Lucky_Shot wrote:
activeverb wrote:
Lucky_Shot wrote:

Yin hit on this with THT, and it's something I've also said, and that is that the player option next year for THT lowers his value to a possible acquiring team. If there were no option, I could at least get the logic of the notion that "we get a look at a young player with possible upside for two years at a fixed cost." But as Yin said, if he plays well, he opts out and now you have to pay him more, possibly quite a bit more, who knows. And if he plays poorly, which is a distinct possibility, he opts in and now you for certain have a negative asset on your hands. Not Westbrook negative, mind you, but a negative asset nonetheless. I'm sure that some teams will view THT more favorably than others, but it's probably a stretch to think that teams view him as a positive asset.

Reaves, on the other hand, sure, I think teams would view him as a positive asset.

well, in the original discussions I said he would be easy to trade without giving up picks. If he opts out we don't have to trade him at that point so the discussion is moot and I think his contract is pretty reasonable given his talent and age. Thats it
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 11:55 am    Post subject:

Hornets over the Pacers deal for me, especially if the Hornets are willing to dump quality assets to position themselves for the Wembaya sweepstakes.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 12:01 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
Hornets over the Pacers deal for me, especially if the Hornets are willing to dump quality assets to position themselves for the Wembaya sweepstakes.

The Hornets aren't going to tank. Just not going to happen. And as has been discussed, when it looked like they were going to pay Bridges a max or close to it, it was logical to think that they might be interested in dumping some longer-term money, as MJ has never paid the luxury tax. However, that is no longer on the table with Bridges.
Lucky_Shot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 12:02 pm    Post subject:

defense wrote:
activeverb wrote:
Lucky_Shot wrote:
activeverb wrote:
Lucky_Shot wrote:

He's living on hopes and dreams

Okay, bet:

I wager he puts together his best season yet and makes a real step forward in 2023
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 187, 188, 189 ... 2579, 2580, 2581  Next
Page 188 of 2581
Jump to: