NEW GENERAL FREE AGENCY/TRADE THREAD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 177, 178, 179 ... 2585, 2586, 2587  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 4:05 pm    Post subject:

Jaylen Brown will hit 2024 free agency no matter what since he stands to lose a ton of $ if he extends. Lakers should have hopefully a max slot by then. 🙏
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 4:11 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
Nets fans should be very happy getting someone like Brown when it’s well documented that the Celtics like him as apart of there long term plans.

I mean, they can't be happy with things in general. They looked like they were going to win a title 2 seasons ago and then they basically only had 1 of their big 3 fully healthy (KD) for their playoff run, and they still barely lost in a Game 7 OT to the eventual champs. Then last year things disintegrate, and within 2 years of their team being solid title favorites, now they are on the brink of the team getting blown up. And if they do get Brown, who is clearly the best player in any of the rumored offers, they will have to worry that he could bolt in two years, although if the Nets are willing to toss him a 5-year max, perhaps Brown stays with his full Bird rights intact. (This is just an estimate on my part, but given the impending cap spike, I'm guessing that Brown would stand to get $70-80MM more from his incumbent team that owns his Bird rights if he signed a 5-year max, as opposed to going somewhere else on a 4-year deal, where the annual raises would be less. This assumes that the max contract structures stay the same with the next CBA.)

This all said, maybe Nets fans could be like Tsai, if those early reports are to be believed, and that is to say that perhaps Nets fans just want to be done with all this drama. I suspect that the majority of Nets fans would like to give this current roster a shot, though. I think they look strong, on paper, but that's only if Kyrie returns and Simmons is healthy and doing his defensive stopper thing. The ball is really in Tsai's court. It's going to come down to whether or not he's just mentally done with the drama, or if he wants to take one more shot at a title and essentially calls KD's bluff.

I think another factor is that I would imagine that Boston doesn't want any camp distractions or in-season distractions, so if a trade is to happen from their end, I think they'd want a resolution before training camp. They don't want trade rumors swirling over their second-best player all camp and during the season, and they are operating from a position of strength (NBA Finals team with young, ascending players in their core), not a position of desperation. So maybe if Boston puts a deadline of sorts in place, and if no other team has come close to offering a player of Brown's caliber by that time, perhaps it will force Tsai to make a decision of dealing him to Boston, if he knows in his mind that he wants him off the team.

By the way, I think the Lakers will be operating under similar thoughts. I don't think they want the RW distraction going on into camp. If the Nets decide to hold onto Durant, IF there was a declaration on that, at that point I truly think the Lakers would move on to non-Kyrie trade options, which for all we know are already lined up. Again, just my own thoughts. Doesn't mean I'll be right.

Last edited by ChickenStu on Tue Aug 16, 2022 4:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 4:12 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Jaylen Brown will hit 2024 free agency no matter what since he stands to lose a ton of $ if he extends. Lakers should have hopefully a max slot by then. 🙏

Yeah he can't extend. Just not enough money in that for him, not with the cap spike coming up. And somebody will max him out if he maintains this level and is healthy, I have no doubt about that.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 4:17 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:

This doesn't mean that it won't happen. But I've had a feeling for some time that the Celtics talk is more about filling the news void than anything of actual substance. We shall see.

My guess is that the Nets aren't close to a deal with anyone, and they are not having any meaningful discussions with anyone.

I don't think anything has changed for them. They intend to start the season with Durant and Irving, but they're open to trading Durant if someone offers a jaw-dropping deal, but none of the offers are in the ballpark of what they want. The Boston offer is the best to date, but my guess is the Nets found it unacceptable, and the Celtics have moved on.

The combination of Tsai supporting the FO and coach, and Durant saying he won't hold out, let a lot of the air out of the balloon. I think Durant has realized he has no leveraged, and the only drama that is going on now is in the minds of fans and the media.

I have felt all along that the Nets had no plans on trading KD or Kyrie, they just allowed KD to blow off steam. Everything they have done since the end of the season points toward reinforcements to go after the ECF titles and I think that is still their focus.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 4:18 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
Nets fans should be very happy getting someone like Brown when it’s well documented that the Celtics like him as apart of there long term plans.

I mean, they can't be happy with things in general. They looked like they were going to win a title 2 seasons ago and then they basically only had 1 of their big 3 fully healthy (KD) for their playoff run, and they still barely lost in a Game 7 OT to the eventual champs. Then last year things disintegrate, and within 2 years of their team being solid title favorites, now they are on the brink of the team getting blown up. And if they do get Brown, who is clearly the best player in any of the rumored offers, they will have to worry that he could bolt in two years, although if the Nets are willing to toss him a 5-year max, perhaps Brown stays with his full Bird rights intact. (This is just an estimate on my part, but given the impending cap spike, I'm guessing that Brown would stand to get $70-80MM more from his incumbent team that owns his Bird rights if he signed a 5-year max, as opposed to going somewhere else on a 4-year deal, where the annual raises would be less. This assumes that the max contract structures stay the same with the next CBA.)

This all said, maybe Nets fans could be like Tsai, if those early reports are to be believed, and that is to say that perhaps Nets fans just want to be done with all this drama. I suspect that the majority of Nets fans would like to give this current roster a shot, though. I think they look strong, on paper, but that's only if Kyrie returns and Simmons is healthy and doing his defensive stopper thing. The ball is really in Tsai's court. It's going to come down to whether or not he's just mentally done with the drama, or if he wants to take one more shot at a title and essentially calls KD's bluff.

I think another factor is that I would imagine that Boston doesn't want any camp distractions or in-season distractions, so if a trade is to happen from their end, I think they'd want a resolution before training camp. They don't want trade rumors swirling over their second-best player all camp and during the season, and they are operating from a position of strength (NBA Finals team with young, ascending players in their core), not a position of desperation. So maybe if Boston puts a deadline of sorts in place, and if no other team has come close to offering a player of Brown's caliber by that time, perhaps it will force Tsai to make a decision of dealing him to Boston, if he knows in his mind that he wants him off the team.

By the way, I think the Lakers will be operating under similar thoughts. I don't think they want the RW distraction going on into camp. If the Nets decide to hold onto Durant, IF there was a declaration on that, at that point I truly think the Lakers would move on to non-Kyrie trade options, which for all we know are already lined up. Again, just my own thoughts. Doesn't mean I'll be right.

Don’t think Lakers are gonna be happy about Westbrook posting anti Lakers slander on social media, 100% sure he’s a goner.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 4:23 pm    Post subject:

I’m not sure where Russ is going, no one wants him.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 4:50 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:

Absolutely. A backcourt of Brown and Irving with Harris and Curry on the bench would be formidable.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 5:04 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

Absolutely. A backcourt of Brown and Irving with Harris and Curry on the bench would be formidable.

Irving is gonna be intrigued at the thought of teaming up with Brown, no doubt.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 5:09 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:

I may be proven wrong, but I think that you and a lot of other fans are obsessing over phantom trades. I think that this is the result of clickbait reporting and a good bit of wishful thinking. I believe the Boston sportswriter who says that there were never any serious discussions between the Nets and Celtics. The trade never made much sense to me from the perspective of either team. Durant may very well get traded, but I'll be surprised if it's to the Celtics.

Likewise, I have doubts about whether the Nets would have any intention of giving us a windfall for Russell Westbrook and a couple draft picks. I suspect that they are saving that one for an emergency exit plan if Irving makes the situation untenable. But in fact, he's doing the opposite. The Nets may very well trade Irving, but they're likely to find a deal that doesn't involve taking Westbrook and tossing in a valuable role player as lagniappe.

We have about a month for this to play out, but at this point I think the front office is getting comfortable with the idea that Westbrook will be there for training camp, at a minimum. I don't think we have a date for media day yet, but it should be around mid-September.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 5:25 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:

I may be proven wrong, but I think that you and a lot of other fans are obsessing over phantom trades. I think that this is the result of clickbait reporting and a good bit of wishful thinking. I believe the Boston sportswriter who says that there were never any serious discussions between the Nets and Celtics. The trade never made much sense to me from the perspective of either team. Durant may very well get traded, but I'll be surprised if it's to the Celtics.

Likewise, I have doubts about whether the Nets would have any intention of giving us a windfall for Russell Westbrook and a couple draft picks. I suspect that they are saving that one for an emergency exit plan if Irving makes the situation untenable. But in fact, he's doing the opposite. The Nets may very well trade Irving, but they're likely to find a deal that doesn't involve taking Westbrook and tossing in a valuable role player as lagniappe.

We have about a month for this to play out, but at this point I think the front office is getting comfortable with the idea that Westbrook will be there for training camp, at a minimum. I don't think we have a date for media day yet, but it should be around mid-September.

Not sure “comfortable” is the word I’d use. More like “resigned” to their fate (for now). I’m sure they will make daily trade calls to unload Russ but we don’t have many takers.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 5:37 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Not sure “comfortable” is the word I’d use. More like “resigned” to their fate (for now). I’m sure they will make daily trade calls to unload Russ but we don’t have many takers.

That's fair. I was thinking about it from a different perspective, namely, that they're getting comfortable with not making a desperation move just to get Westbrook off the roster.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 5:48 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

That's fair. I was thinking about it from a different perspective, namely, that they're getting comfortable with not making a desperation move just to get Westbrook off the roster.

I 100% believe Russ will not finish the season as a Laker. However, their moves seem to be tied to external factors outside their control such as KD and Mitchell. Plus a bunch of Jazz players can’t be traded until the first week of September too.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 6:01 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

I 100% believe Russ will not finish the season as a Laker. However, their moves seem to be tied to external factors outside their control such as KD and Mitchell. Plus a bunch of Jazz players can’t be traded until the first week of September too.

The Jazz players are what I would consider to be a desperation move. We'd need to cough up both picks in the deal or else the Jazz wouldn't even be interested. We'd get back some so-so pieces that wouldn't move the needle. We'd go from being a likely play-in candidate to being a more likely play-in candidate. The question becomes this: How much long-term damage are you willing to accept to make the next season less awkward?

Now, if we could actually swing a deal for Irving and Harris, that would be a different kettle of fish. But if we're really getting rid of Westbrook for the sake of getting rid of Westbrook, how much are you willing to give up?
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 6:03 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Russ is still $47 mil off the cap and luxury tax, the Buss’ might find that attractive.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 6:17 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

The Jazz players are what I would consider to be a desperation move. We'd need to cough up both picks in the deal or else the Jazz wouldn't even be interested. We'd get back some so-so pieces that wouldn't move the needle. We'd go from being a likely play-in candidate to being a more likely play-in candidate. The question becomes this: How much long-term damage are you willing to accept to make the next season less awkward?

Now, if we could actually swing a deal for Irving and Harris, that would be a different kettle of fish. But if we're really getting rid of Westbrook for the sake of getting rid of Westbrook, how much are you willing to give up?

This is why I think he’s gone bc by trade deadline nearly 60%+ of that salary is already paid. I highly doubt Russ will stay thereafter.
RashardA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 7:15 pm    Post subject:

If the Lakers really go into camp with the roster as is, they are not serious about winning or rebuilding.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 7:32 pm    Post subject:

RashardA wrote:
If the Lakers really go into camp with the roster as is, they are not serious about winning or rebuilding.

It may be worse than that. Winning and rebuilding may not even be options. We shall see.
Rubin
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 7:42 pm    Post subject:

RashardA wrote:

I don’t see a scenario in which that is the case. I imagine if Kyrie is definitively unavailable, the Lakers will make a desperation trade with either Indy, Charlotte or Utah.

It has become increasingly clear over the summer that bringing Russ back is simply untenable, both off and on the court.
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 8:05 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
RashardA wrote:

It may be worse than that. Winning and rebuilding may not even be options. We shall see.

Winning & rebuilding are both fluid circumstances in the NBA.

Lakers started rebuilding after the Kobe injury. Their draft picks in 4 straight drafts:

2014 - Randle, 2015 - DLo, 2016 - BI, 2017 - Lonzo

Now imagine if those drafts had gone:

2014 - Jokic, 2015 - Booker, 2016 - Sabonis, 2017 - Tatum

With those 4 as a core, would the Lakers have even offered a contract to LBJ? (Not blaming the FO, the Lakers made solid picks, but teams often miss in the draft - Jokic went 44th! - so there's a lot of luck involved).

On the other hand, in 2018 the Lakers had a young squad with potential, but no leader and had not been to the playoffs. LeBron decides to sign into the Lakers' capspace, and 8 months later AD starts to force a trade to LA. The team goes from perennial lottery participant to championship contender, not from grand design, but because Savannah James wanted her kids to go to school in Cali. Lakers had the space available . . . as did other teams.

Lakers can go 70-12 or 12-70 this year, but over the summer they'll have a draft pick and cap space. If either one hits, next year could be spectacular regardless of whether we were trying to win or rebuild.
epic_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 8:29 pm    Post subject:

Agree. A backcourt of Ben and Brown might be the best defensive backcourt in the league.
💜💛 🏆 👀 🍖 #18!!!
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 8:31 pm    Post subject:

RashardA wrote:

The Lakers are currently cruising a buffet of bad options. The team currently isn’t very good. The cost of improving marginally is high. Time is running out on LeBron. They’re stuck where they are at the moment. It’s unclear if anything will come along to unstick us but I wouldn’t count on it.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 8:45 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
RashardA wrote:

The Lakers are currently cruising a buffet of bad options. The team currently isn’t very good. The cost of improving marginally is high. Time is running out on LeBron. They’re stuck where they are at the moment. It’s unclear if anything will come along to unstick us but I wouldn’t count on it.

If not for Westbrook’s idiotic anti slander towards the Lakers I would have said that the chances of the current group coming back is very high but now I give it a very good chance that Westbrook is gonna get traded very soon.

Last edited by Inspector Gadget on Tue Aug 16, 2022 8:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Trevacious2
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 8:47 pm    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
https://twitter.com/domdolla22/status/1559602829097967617?s=21&t=5C-149GGYDgKSp0Xb_7hAg

Hey look, a player on the Lakers roster who can actually defend and play in an NBA basketball game. He joins Austin Reaves who was the only one from last season’s roster

Gotta love a guy who loves to defend!
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 9:00 pm    Post subject:

Rubin wrote:
RashardA wrote:

I don’t see a scenario in which that is the case. I imagine if Kyrie is definitively unavailable, the Lakers will make a desperation trade with either Indy, Charlotte or Utah.

It has become increasingly clear over the summer that bringing Russ back is simply untenable, both off and on the court.

I don't think they are going to do a bad deal just for the sake of doing a deal. I think it's quite likely the season starts with Westbrook at point guard.
Rubin
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 9:31 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
Rubin wrote:
RashardA wrote:

I don't think they are going to do a bad deal just for the sake of doing a deal. I think it's quite likely the season starts with Westbrook at point guard.

Funny, I think it’s the precise opposite. I think at this point the well is so poisoned (and the on-court fit is so obviously bad to absolutely everyone) with Russ that they simply can’t bring him back. I think they take what they can get if Kyrie ends up staying in BKN. Even a “bad” deal of, say, Rozier and Hayward makes them a better team.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 177, 178, 179 ... 2585, 2586, 2587  Next
Page 178 of 2587
Jump to: