NEW GENERAL FREE AGENCY/TRADE THREAD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 162, 163, 164 ... 2556, 2557, 2558  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JUST-MING
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 10:26 am    Post subject:

Mike Jurecki wrote:

Hearing KD landed in Phoenix around 7ish PM has a driver who also is a provides his security: Technically, he can’t meet with the Suns without permission which doesn’t preclude him from talking to Suns players.
Aug 12, 2022ReplyRetweetFavorite

Last edited by JUST-MING on Fri Aug 12, 2022 11:47 am; edited 2 times in total
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 10:26 am    Post subject:

vasashi17+ wrote:
LA Times’ Dan Woike:

Quote:
The Westbrook situation does seem a little more interesting, at least in the sense that the Lakers might have more control than they do in talks with James. The team, after all, could always add more stuff to any trade offers in an effort to unload Westbrook. And depending on what the expectations are in return, they could simply just keep piling on the limited trade assets that they have (pick swaps, second-round picks, etc.). So far, that’s a road the Lakers haven’t seriously taken, Rob Pelinka surprising plenty of folks around the NBA with his hesitancy to attach multiple draft picks with Westbrook in trade talks.

(Note: Those two firsts might not even be enough to entice Brooklyn to take on Westbrook. And there are the Lakers’ reasons for hesitancy with Kyrie Irving — his vaccination status, injury history and track record of saying he wants to stay somewhere before signing somewhere different — that have already and will certainly further be considered before talking about two firsts.)

If and when Kevin Durant and Donovan Mitchell get traded, the space to make a Westbrook trade probably opens a little wider with the costs getting cleared. Lakers sources insist they have options beyond the ones that have been reported (Irving, Buddy Hield, Myles Turner and others). Time should better reveal those once the bigger moves get made.

Quote:
Word from James’ first meeting with the Lakers was that it was a positive conversation among the star, his representatives and Lakers’ management. But with no real ticking clock for James to sign a deal because he’s eligible to sign an extension into late June, there isn’t a real sense of urgency.

Whatever he decides, to accept a contract extension or to play out his contract and be an unrestricted free agent next summer, will shape the course of the Lakers’ future. They either continue down this road where they try to build contending rosters around James or they move into the phase where he’s not a member of the team, a fate that’s coming one day no matter what. Any other options, at least for now, seem immaterial.

https://www.latimes.com/sports/newsletter/2022-08-12/lebron-james-russell-westbrook-lakers

So Woike is saying the Lakers have had conversations beyond the names that we know, sounds like Julius Randle and perhaps Collin Sexton.
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 10:29 am    Post subject:

Hmm, other options to unload WB beyond what’s been reported? I think IG might be right, Sexton but 2 firsts for him?
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 10:33 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
Hmm, other options to unload WB beyond what’s been reported? I think IG might be right, Sexton but 2 firsts for him?

Zero chance.

I love how even when they try to stay tight lipped they still say “well we have options other than the ones reported publicly.”
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 10:34 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:

Woike also mentioned that we might end up giving up desirable assets like Reaves and Max Christie if you look at the wording of how the Lakers have limited assets.
JUST-MING
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 10:38 am    Post subject:

Cleveland has Darius Garland and Ricky Rubio. Why would they trade for Russell?

Orlando - Cole Anthony
Miami - Kyle Lowry
Utah - Mike Conley
New York - Derrick Rose
Washington - Delon Wright

However, most of those teams could wait for a buyout.
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 10:43 am    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
governator wrote:

Woike also mentioned that we might end up giving up desirable assets like Reaves and Max Christie if you look at the wording of how the Lakers have limited assets.

Don’t care about max Christie but reaves… blue chip only, not sexton

(I remember they forced sexton to beg LeBron to play with him on his draft day on tv lol)
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 10:44 am    Post subject:

Russell Westbrook and THT for Collin Sexton and Kevin Love, salaries probably don’t match but you can end up doing something of that sort.
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 10:45 am    Post subject:

JUST-MING wrote:
Cleveland has Darius Garland and Ricky Rubio. Why would they trade for Russell?

Orlando - Cole Anthony
Miami - Kyle Lowry
Utah - Mike Conley
New York - Derrick Rose
Washington - Delon Wright

However, most of those teams could wait for a buyout.

Teams trading for Westbrook is not trading to play him, they trying to get picks, he’s a buy out
JUST-MING
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 10:46 am    Post subject:

Orlando would play him. Miami would play him. New York would play him. Washington would play him.

Utah is a question mark. I could see Russell and Donovan Mitchell work.
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 11:00 am    Post subject:

JUST-MING wrote:
Miami would play him.

Imagine Pat Riley dealing with his BS attitude and antics.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 11:05 am    Post subject:

JUST-MING wrote:
Mike Jurecki wrote:

Hearing KD landed in Phoenix around 7ish PM has a driver who also is a provides his security: Technically, he can’t meet with the Suns without permission which doesn’t preclude him from talking to Suns players.

ARE WE ALLOWE TO POST TWEETS OR WILL WE GET SUED FOR THAT TOO?

All this falls under a legal principle called "fair use."

You can post a limited amount of copyrighted material to comment on it.

In the case of a tweet, it is generally so short than it is OK to post.

You can't, however, post the entirety of a 2000 word article.

It's not just about the risk of being sued. It's also about respecting the rights of others. You might not think that reposting a 2000-word article without permission is stealing, but it is.
logical24
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 11:24 am    Post subject:

Tweet
See new Tweets
Conversation
The Lakers Review
@TheLakersReview
“Lakers sources insist they have options beyond the ones that have been reported (Irving, Buddy Hield, Myles Turner and others).

⁃ per the L.A. Times’ Dan Woike’s newsletter

wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 11:25 am    Post subject:

Lets look at the roster if WB was not on it today. What are the holes?

You could start AD at the 4. Lebron at the 3. Then slide them to the 5/4.

TBryant/Jones/AD
AD/James
James/Brown Jr./Anderson
Walker/Reaves/Christie
THT/Nunn

Fighting for spots: Pippen Jr. Swider Stanley Gabriel etc.

^

Looking at that, I would say from the NOT RUMORED Westbrook deals (Indiana/Nets) , a team that has a backup level PG and a backup level big wing would give the Lakers enough to put forth a full rotation.

THT/Nunn combo could give you a good 35 minutes a game at the PG spot, and you probably want a veteran PG that can come in and run some offense as Nunn/THT are not natural PGs. Looking at our other spot that could require minutes, I would say a big wing like Kuzma, is needed. Stanley is not a proven NBA level commodity, and not a sure thing to make it in the NBA longterm. Maybe Swider, but he's undraft rookie.

A deal that gives the Lakers a backup 4 and backup 1 for Westbrook would be something that can solidify their rotation. I don't think they do this, becuase they're star struck, and would want a big name. But if true they have deals to look at aside from the Pacers/Nets, then they should consider making them by training camp. I wouldn't wait much longer because either you commit to Westbrook or you move on. There's no in between with him.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 11:42 am    Post subject:

logical24 wrote:
Tweet
See new Tweets
Conversation
The Lakers Review
@TheLakersReview
“Lakers sources insist they have options beyond the ones that have been reported (Irving, Buddy Hield, Myles Turner and others).

For all we know the other options could be 2 picks, Westbrook for Conley, Bogdan. That's a deal I can see Utah make if they're all in on a re-build, but we shouldn't give up 2 picks for that package.

I think "we have options" is a statement that is true, but when you actually look at what teams would want, it comes back to the same thing. The Lakers could trade WB if they were willing to accept non-stars coming back in on big deals (20M range) and that they would be giving up 2 picks. This is the Hield/Turner deal and maybe what they could get from Utah. So in fact they have the option maybe to make these deals, but so far are choosing not to.

I'm ok with their stance on the picks, because I understand that there is not a realistic path to the title-post trades. These trades don't put the Lakers on the GSW/Boston/Mil level. However, I do think at some point they should consider buying out Westbrook, then. They are better off letting the PG spot minutes go to players like THT and Pippen Jr. who can come back next year and develop into valuabel trade assets if they have a good year. The Westbrook thing will just not play out well, if they think he's going to be ok with sitting out big portions of the game OR be able to adjust into becoming a 3nD guy that sets screens.

A healthier AD (60 games) and Lebron is probably enough to get into the play ins (7th-10th). 41 wilnnish. Develop some younger guys like THT, Pippen Jr., Christie, Reaves etc around AD/Bron and go into next summer with a lot more trade assets and capspace. That is if you decide that Westbrook + 2 picks is not worth it. The move to make after that is either send WB home, or buy him out, IMO.

Last edited by wolfpaclaker on Fri Aug 12, 2022 11:44 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
logical24
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 11:43 am    Post subject:

The only 3 i would take from Utah is:

Bogan (expiring)
Pat(expiring)
Beasley
JUST-MING
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 11:46 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
JUST-MING wrote:
Mike Jurecki wrote:

ARE WE ALLOWE TO POST TWEETS OR WILL WE GET SUED FOR THAT TOO?

All this falls under a legal principle called "fair use."

You can post a limited amount of copyrighted material to comment on it.

In the case of a tweet, it is generally so short than it is OK to post.

You can't, however, post the entirety of a 2000 word article.

It's not just about the risk of being sued. It's also about respecting the rights of others. You might not think that reposting a 2000-word article without permission is stealing, but it is.

Whatever you say .
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 11:47 am    Post subject:

logical24 wrote:
The only 3 i would take from Utah is:

Bogan (expiring)
Pat(expiring)
Beasley

Sure, but we aren't in a driver's seat here. I'm fine with being picky, but if we can't get the deal we like, we need to consider an alternative of actually buying him out, as I can some value in giving players like Nunn, THT, Reaves, Pipp Jr. Christie etc opportunies in the backcourt without WB. They don't make the Lakers better, but they give the Lakers some player development that just won't happen with WB around.

Of course i see it unlikely that WB gets bought out.
JUST-MING
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 11:49 am    Post subject:

Kendrick Nunn is an undersized shooting guard. Miami fans thought we were starting him next to Russell. His game is basically Patty Mills. We need his scoring off the bench.

I wouldn't start Kendrick at shooting guard because of what happened to Brooklyn in the playoffs.

Kyrie Irving. Seth Curry. Patty Mills.

Too small. Grant Williams shot over the top of them. Brooklyn was the only team to get swept in the playoffs.
JUST-MING
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 12:01 pm    Post subject:

Stanley Johnson has been working on his wing three pointer, from what I recall in his thread. Guards shoot from the wings. Forwards shoot from the corners. I think Stanley has an opportunity to start at shooting guard.

Russell played the bulk of his career with Thabo Sefelosha and Andre Robinson at shooting guard. Stanley can play that role.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 12:02 pm    Post subject:

Westbrook likely will start at PG. It will be up to Ham to figure out how to make things work. Wanting AD to play the role that Giannis plays is a good sound bite but I wouldn’t expect it to work. Ham will need to resort to plan B if it doesn’t work or when AD sits. Piling more onto an aging Lebron isn’t a good plan either. If he breaks down it’s all over. The coaching staff needs to learn to incorporate Westbrook into the offense.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 12:04 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Free agent center Willie Cauley-Stein has agreed to a one-year deal with the Houston Rockets, sources tell @TheAthletic @Stadium. Cauley-Stein will compete for a roster spot in training camp.

epic_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 12:34 pm    Post subject:

logical24 wrote:
@TheLakersReview

Quote:

Interested to see what Plan H is.
💜💛 🏆 👀 🍖 #18!!!
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 12:38 pm    Post subject:

JUST-MING wrote:
Stanley Johnson has been working on his wing three pointer, from what I recall in his thread. Guards shoot from the wings. Forwards shoot from the corners. I think Stanley has an opportunity to start at shooting guard.

Russell played the bulk of his career with Thabo Sefelosha and Andre Robinson at shooting guard. Stanley can play that role.

Right now, I assume Westbrook, Lebron and AD will start, along with either Jones or Bryant at center.

The starting 2 spot looks wide open. I could see it going to Johnson, Walker, or Reaves.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 12:39 pm    Post subject:

Can’t believe it will likely take 3 FRPs to trade for and un do the Russ trade. Horrific.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 162, 163, 164 ... 2556, 2557, 2558  Next
Page 163 of 2558
Jump to: