NEW GENERAL FREE AGENCY/TRADE THREAD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1106, 1107, 1108 ... 2565, 2566, 2567  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 7:37 pm    Post subject:

Others have quoted the more important portion of the Shams article, but this tidbit was news to me:

Quote:
In the days after Irving and the Nets reached an impasse in contract extension negotiations last June, the Lakers requested and received permission from Brooklyn to speak to Irving’s representatives, according to league sources. Those around Irving believed that this could be the first step toward a potential trade scenario between the two teams. The Lakers and Vice President of Basketball Operations Rob Pelinka were given the OK to talk to Irving’s agent, Shetellia Riley Irving; however, Riley Irving did not hear from any member of the Lakers front office, sources said.

Those sources added that the Nets were open to listening to offers across the league for Irving at that point, but the Lakers were informed that they did not have a suitable deal with the $47 million expiring contract of Russell Westbrook. It meant that the Lakers would only have engaged with Irving if he declined his $37 million player option and signed a deal for a mid-level exception, but they ultimately did not believe he would do so.

https://theathletic.com/4158739/2023/02/05/kyrie-irving-trade-mavericks-lakers-suns-shams/
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 7:38 pm    Post subject:

Terrence Ross seemingly has been available at the trade deadline for like 200 years it seems but he always ends up staying
epic_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 7:42 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Others have quoted the more important portion of the Shams article, but this tidbit was news to me:

Quote:
In the days after Irving and the Nets reached an impasse in contract extension negotiations last June, the Lakers requested and received permission from Brooklyn to speak to Irving’s representatives, according to league sources. Those around Irving believed that this could be the first step toward a potential trade scenario between the two teams. The Lakers and Vice President of Basketball Operations Rob Pelinka were given the OK to talk to Irving’s agent, Shetellia Riley Irving; however, Riley Irving did not hear from any member of the Lakers front office, sources said.

Those sources added that the Nets were open to listening to offers across the league for Irving at that point, but the Lakers were informed that they did not have a suitable deal with the $47 million expiring contract of Russell Westbrook. It meant that the Lakers would only have engaged with Irving if he declined his $37 million player option and signed a deal for a mid-level exception, but they ultimately did not believe he would do so.

https://theathletic.com/4158739/2023/02/05/kyrie-irving-trade-mavericks-lakers-suns-shams/

Interesting. I wonder if the Lakers didn't want to insult Kyrie with the MLE. We saw what happen when the nets offered incentives and Ky felt disrespected haha.
💜💛 🏆 👀 🍖 #18!!!
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 7:43 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
ocho wrote:
Quote:
In other words, do you expect a good shot at the #1 pick or at least a top 3 pick? I don't think anyone really expects the Lakers to be that bad.

I do.

We have the 9th worst record in the league WITH LeBron James and Anthony Davis. When those guys are gone I expect us to be much worse.

5 years is an eternity in NBA terms. There is no way to reasonably predict who will be on the Lakers and how good or bad the team will be. If I were the one trading for those pics, I certainly wouldn't value them as a likely number one overall pick

It’s fair to say it’s a long ways away and we can’t accurately predict. However, we do know that LeBron won’t be here. AD probably won’t be, and if he is, he’ll be 34 with who knows how many more injuries on the resume. And we know we will be owned by Jeanie Buss. Whether Rob is still running things is anyone’s guess but he’s got a deal for another 4 years. I would bet we are in for some pain. We have two superstars and we are a bad team.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

sonic the laker wrote:
ocho wrote:
Shams.

Quote:
The Lakers offered the Nets a package of Westbrook and two first-round picks in 2027 and 2029 for Irving in the last two days, sources with knowledge of the discussions said — to which the Nets informed the Lakers that in order to make an offer to get in the Irving sweepstakes they would require all of their young players such as Austin Reaves and Max Christie and pick swaps in addition to Westbrook and the two first-round picks.

The Nets ultimately moved on from a possible Lakers framework to choose Dallas.

No way in Hee Haw hell. That's literally how you tell someone "we're not dealing with you", without actually saying the words. People complain about our FO...as I'm sure most fan bases of any franchise do. But, I can't imagine ANY FO stupid enough to acquiesce to that deal.

And that right there is not negotiating in good faith. Tsai just didn’t want to give Kyrie what he wanted.

Send your gift baskets to Tsai lol.

Edit: it’s also been mentioned that Reinsdorf is not going to trade LaVine to the Lakers. These owners…if only they cared about their franchises and commitment to winning as much as they are petty

Last edited by LakerSD on Sun Feb 05, 2023 7:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

Quote:
Teams have been far more interested in trading for Durant than they have had interest in Irving. The phone lines are hot in Brooklyn, where every team will make its best offer to poach the NBA’s 14th leading scorer in all-time history.

Yet whether or not Durant wants to remain in Brooklyn with Irving — the only other star on the roster — out of town is unclear. Ben Simmons has missed the last four games with left knee soreness, but sources familiar with Durant’s thinking tell the Daily News the star forward has been less than enthralled with Simmons, who is averaging just 7.9 points, 6.6 rebounds and six assists per game on a max contract in Brooklyn.

With Brooklyn’s championship window all but shut in a top-heavy conference with multiple star to superstar caliber players on each of the best teams, Durant could be the domino that sends the Nets back to the Play-In Tournament — or worse: back to the lottery after trading their own first-round picks and the swap rights to their own picks in the blockbuster deal to acquire James Harden from the Houston Rockets.

The Nets have nothing to show for the Durant and Irving era — except an exorbitant luxury tax bill, a second-round playoff exit, a first-round sweep at the hands of the Boston Celtics, and fans who have paid premium pricing for season tickets only to watch another year riddled with championship expectations come crashing down before the All-Star break.

https://www.nydailynews.com/sports/basketball/nets/ny-kyrie-irving-traded-to-mavs-20230205-zp5zh7ybyvdqfpniqiyt5cyxyy-story.html
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 7:45 pm    Post subject:

AD for KD... yah or nah?
anth2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 7:45 pm    Post subject:

See, the Lakers made an offer of both picks.
Nets wanted more.
The Lakers gave a great offer, Nets wanted more.
Can’t fault the Lakers FO.
Dodged a bullet.
Thank you, Rob, for not getting hosed on a possible rental.
epic_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 7:46 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Quote:
Teams have been far more interested in trading for Durant than they have had interest in Irving. The phone lines are hot in Brooklyn, where every team will make its best offer to poach the NBA’s 14th leading scorer in all-time history.

Yet whether or not Durant wants to remain in Brooklyn with Irving — the only other star on the roster — out of town is unclear. Ben Simmons has missed the last four games with left knee soreness, but sources familiar with Durant’s thinking tell the Daily News the star forward has been less than enthralled with Simmons, who is averaging just 7.9 points, 6.6 rebounds and six assists per game on a max contract in Brooklyn.

With Brooklyn’s championship window all but shut in a top-heavy conference with multiple star to superstar caliber players on each of the best teams, Durant could be the domino that sends the Nets back to the Play-In Tournament — or worse: back to the lottery after trading their own first-round picks and the swap rights to their own picks in the blockbuster deal to acquire James Harden from the Houston Rockets.

The Nets have nothing to show for the Durant and Irving era — except an exorbitant luxury tax bill, a second-round playoff exit, a first-round sweep at the hands of the Boston Celtics, and fans who have paid premium pricing for season tickets only to watch another year riddled with championship expectations come crashing down before the All-Star break.

https://www.nydailynews.com/sports/basketball/nets/ny-kyrie-irving-traded-to-mavs-20230205-zp5zh7ybyvdqfpniqiyt5cyxyy-story.html

You deserve it Joe!
💜💛 🏆 👀 🍖 #18!!!
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 7:46 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
AD for KD... yah or nah?

It won’t change anything tbh.

Opponents might put up 180 with Davis not on roster.
epic_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 7:47 pm    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
sonic the laker wrote:
ocho wrote:
Shams.

Quote:
The Lakers offered the Nets a package of Westbrook and two first-round picks in 2027 and 2029 for Irving in the last two days, sources with knowledge of the discussions said — to which the Nets informed the Lakers that in order to make an offer to get in the Irving sweepstakes they would require all of their young players such as Austin Reaves and Max Christie and pick swaps in addition to Westbrook and the two first-round picks.

The Nets ultimately moved on from a possible Lakers framework to choose Dallas.

No way in Hee Haw hell. That's literally how you tell someone "we're not dealing with you", without actually saying the words. People complain about our FO...as I'm sure most fan bases of any franchise do. But, I can't imagine ANY FO stupid enough to acquiesce to that deal.

And that right there is not negotiating in good faith. Tsai just didn’t want to give Kyrie what he wanted.

Send your gift baskets to Tsai lol.

Edit: it’s also been mentioned that Reinsdorf is not going to trade LaVine to the Lakers. These owners…if only they cared about their franchises and commitment to winning as much as they are petty

The Spurs should live in poverty for decades for not taking BI. Pop deserves it.
💜💛 🏆 👀 🍖 #18!!!
levon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 7:51 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
activeverb wrote:
ocho wrote:
Quote:
In other words, do you expect a good shot at the #1 pick or at least a top 3 pick? I don't think anyone really expects the Lakers to be that bad.

I do.

We have the 9th worst record in the league WITH LeBron James and Anthony Davis. When those guys are gone I expect us to be much worse.

5 years is an eternity in NBA terms. There is no way to reasonably predict who will be on the Lakers and how good or bad the team will be. If I were the one trading for those pics, I certainly wouldn't value them as a likely number one overall pick

It’s fair to say it’s a long ways away and we can’t accurately predict. However, we do know that LeBron won’t be here. AD probably won’t be, and if he is, he’ll be 34 with who knows how many more injuries on the resume. And we know we will be owned by Jeanie Buss. Whether Rob is still running things is anyone’s guess but he’s got a deal for another 4 years. I would bet we are in for some pain. We have two superstars and we are a bad team.

Also, the 2027 pick is 4 years away at this point, not 5. Rob's contract expires 2026. Unless Buss finally ponies up for an Ujiri or Presti, it's going to be more of the same going forward.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 7:51 pm    Post subject:

https://twitter.com/johnhollinger/status/1622424460958781440?s=46&t=bpwD37728IGat7t27mQZSA

It’s Hollinger, but he makes a good point.

This is where Tsai (bleep) up. Better off not leaking those things…what’s done is done.

Good luck to Brooklyn becoming a prime destination again under Tsai ownership.

Last edited by LakerSD on Sun Feb 05, 2023 7:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 7:52 pm    Post subject:

ArminNBA wrote:
The “Lakers Tax” deniers take another huge L today. Dave McMenamin has said for years that league executives have bias/envy/hatred towards the Lakers and it impacts negotiations and decision making.

Lol dying

Yes, the Nets decided against our clearly better offer because it’s more important to their GM (who could be fired soon) to uphold the Lakers to their “tax” than it is to make the deal that’s best for his team.

Are the Laker Tax guys the Qanon of Lakerland? Or is that too insulting to Qanon people?
Bron2AD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 7:54 pm    Post subject:

The Suns "are expected to be incredibly active over the next several days to add to the roster," per @ShamsCharania.

Phoenix wants to build around Devin Booker, Deandre Ayton, Mikal Bridges and Cam Johnson, but "the future of Chris Paul is uncertain." 😳

😂
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 7:58 pm    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:
ArminNBA wrote:
The “Lakers Tax” deniers take another huge L today. Dave McMenamin has said for years that league executives have bias/envy/hatred towards the Lakers and it impacts negotiations and decision making.

Lol dying

Yes, the Nets decided against our clearly better offer because it’s more important to their GM (who could be fired soon) to uphold the Lakers to their “tax” than it is to make the deal that’s best for his team.

Are the Laker Tax guys the Qanon of Lakerland? Or is that too insulting to Qanon people?

Not wanting what kyrie wants is not a lakers tax. There may be one but I have a hard time believing teams would take worse offers just to spite the lakers.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 7:58 pm    Post subject:

Now that dust has settled it’s honestly as simple as Tsai not wanting to give Kyrie what he wants.

When you look at the Mavs deal vs. their request of the Lakers adding Christie , Reaves and pick swaps…it’s ludicrous and insanity. Not even close in packages.
scout_0
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 8:00 pm    Post subject:

I don't want anyone but lillard
mad55557777
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 8:00 pm    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
https://twitter.com/johnhollinger/status/1622424460958781440?s=46&t=bpwD37728IGat7t27mQZSA

This is where Tsai (bleep) up. Better off not leaking those things…what’s done is done.

Leaking other teams offer is the lowest of lows, now phx and lakers have some disgruntled players…
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 8:03 pm    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
pjiddy wrote:
ArminNBA wrote:

Lol dying

Not wanting what kyrie wants is not a lakers tax. There may be one but I have a hard time believing teams would take worse offers just to spite the lakers.

GM: sorry boss, i know the Lakers offer was better, but we have to punish them.

Owner: you did the right thing. It’s not worth having a better team if it also helps the Lakers. For i am jealous of the one title their owner has won.
levon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 8:03 pm    Post subject:

I think the Dallas deal was the best deal for what the Nets (apparently) want, which is to compete now with Durant. I think that's the wrong decision, but whatever.

I also think the Clippers offer was better, or could have been better, than the Lakers' absolute best offer.

What I disagree with generally is the conception that relationships don't matter in these transactions, and that executives don't get petty with other executives and players. Give me a break. We literally have high profile examples of this.

And comparing the eventual packages to the packages mid-negotiation with the Lakers is not a fair exercise.

There's such a thing as negotiating in bad faith, and choosing to go through the exercise of getting one team to reasonably improve their offer, as opposed to stonewalling them by demanding the entire franchise over the first phone call. The final transaction isn't sufficient evidence to prove the negotiations with all teams were completely unbiased.

Last edited by levon on Sun Feb 05, 2023 8:06 pm; edited 4 times in total
Reds622
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 8:05 pm    Post subject:

mad55557777 wrote:
LakerSD wrote:

Leaking other teams offer is the lowest of lows, now phx and lakers have some disgruntled players…

Westbrook? Who cares. He knows he’s been in trade talks. They balked at Reaves and Christie.. apparently. Again, no hard feelings there.

Chris Paul? Ya, that’s a problem.
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 8:06 pm    Post subject:

KD left OKC bc he didn’t want to play with Russ anymore—and that’s when Russ was a top 10 NBA player. The Russ the Lakers offered isn’t even a top 100 player anymore, and people are seriously throwing the term “Laker tax” around. Lmfao
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 8:07 pm    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:
Halflife wrote:
pjiddy wrote:
ArminNBA wrote:

Lol dying

GM: sorry boss, i know the Lakers offer was better, but we have to punish them.

Owner: you did the right thing. It’s not worth having a better team if it also helps the Lakers. For i am jealous of the one title their owner has won.

Something like that
mad55557777
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 8:09 pm    Post subject:

Reds622 wrote:
mad55557777 wrote:
LakerSD wrote:

Westbrook? Who cares. He knows he’s been in trade talks. They balked at Reaves and Christie.. apparently. Again, no hard feelings there.

Chris Paul? Ya, that’s a problem.

You may not care, but Russ is still our player and ham still plays him a ton
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1106, 1107, 1108 ... 2565, 2566, 2567  Next
Page 1107 of 2567
Jump to: