NEW GENERAL FREE AGENCY/TRADE THREAD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1105, 1106, 1107 ... 2616, 2617, 2618  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dreamshake
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 7:04 pm    Post subject:

The Dallas deal only makes sense if they think Luka is leaving. Maybe they figured y'all can get a stud to sign when capspace becomes available.

Now those Suns picks...wonder what was up with them.
levon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 7:04 pm    Post subject:

I'm almost hoping the Lakers mortgage their future before the deadline before they have access to that 2023 pick. Let the scouting department actually pick in the first round.
TylersLakers
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 7:06 pm    Post subject:

Lmao. A few hours ago posters wanted to crucify Pelinka because they thought all he offered was Russ and a 1st.

Now posters are thanking the Nets for saving the Lakers from themselves. You can’t have it both ways.
EZ-Ryder
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 7:07 pm    Post subject:

Capehorn wrote:
hypothetically obviously.. would you trade that kyrie package that shams reported for kd?

Imagine saying you wouldn’t
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 7:07 pm    Post subject:

Dreamshake wrote:
The Dallas deal only makes sense if they think Luka is leaving. Maybe they figured y'all can get a stud to sign when capspace becomes available.

Now those Suns picks...wonder what was up with them.

Luka just signed a 5 year extension. He can’t leave until his player option comes up in summer 2026
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 7:08 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
Quote:
In other words, do you expect a good shot at the #1 pick or at least a top 3 pick? I don't think anyone really expects the Lakers to be that bad.

I do.

We have the 9th worst record in the league WITH LeBron James and Anthony Davis. When those guys are gone I expect us to be much worse.

If you really believe that -- and I take your word for it -- then trading those picks is a disastrously awful idea. However, I think that 90% of the people who want to trade the picks do not believe that we will really be that bad, or else they haven't really thought it through.
Barry Seal
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 7:09 pm    Post subject:

EZ-Ryder wrote:
Capehorn wrote:
hypothetically obviously.. would you trade that kyrie package that shams reported for kd?

Imagine saying you wouldn’t

It wouldn’t be close to enough. KD is signed until 2026
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 7:12 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
ocho wrote:
Quote:
In other words, do you expect a good shot at the #1 pick or at least a top 3 pick? I don't think anyone really expects the Lakers to be that bad.

I do.

We have the 9th worst record in the league WITH LeBron James and Anthony Davis. When those guys are gone I expect us to be much worse.

If you really believe that -- and I take your word for it -- then trading those picks is a disastrously awful idea. However, I think that 90% of the people who want to trade the picks do not believe that we will really be that bad, or else they haven't really thought it through.

Which is why I’ve largely been advocating for keeping them. As far as their perceived value from other teams, I think it’s more that the league is wide open and everyone thinks they have a shot right now. Everyone is looking for immediate help, not help in 6 years. We’ve been banking on someone pulling the trigger on a rebuild and it just hasn’t happened.
levon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 7:12 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
levon wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
levon wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Barry Seal wrote:
levon wrote:
You guys are really burying Paul prematurely here
I take him over Dinwiddie 10/10 times in the playoffs

We literally watched them play each other in the playoffs last year and Dinwiddie was better

Yes, he was. This is not because Dinwiddie was really good. It's because Paul has a fork stuck in his back.

And yet our favorite metrics EPM and RAPTOR both rate forked-up Paul higher than Dinwiddie. Like by a lot. I get the injury and contract concerns though.

We're talking about the playoffs last year.

In which he averaged 14 points on 57% TS? What am I missing? Was it one of those "you had to be there" moments?

Yes. I like Chris Paul. I've always liked him. It was hard to watch him in that series. You're talking about shooting percentages, but he averaged only 13 points. He took fewer than 10 shots per game. Dinwiddie wasn't even a starter, but he almost matched those numbers. I'm not even saying that Dinwiddie was good. Chris Paul was just hard to watch. They played Game 7 in Phoenix, and the Suns lost by like 30. At home. In Game 7. I thought that Chris should have just retired and gone to work selling car insurance.

Fair enough, but I like to look at larger samples. Durant and Irving also had terrible series' last year. Sometimes when it rains, it pours.

I think it's mostly the contract. If it was next year that was non-guaranteed, I would've definitely taken the Phoenix deal.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 7:13 pm    Post subject:

Dreamshake wrote:

I think Kidd may be able to get it to work. It may be rough at first, though.
levon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 7:14 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
ocho wrote:
Quote:

I do.

There's a healthy (unhealthy) middle ground where we can expect the team to be in the bottom 3rd of the league, even have a top 4 pick if you like, and select guys like D'Angelo Russell and Lonzo Ball that will put them nowhere near contention on their own, compared to the right pieces these next few years.
sonic the laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 7:15 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
Shams.

Quote:
The Lakers offered the Nets a package of Westbrook and two first-round picks in 2027 and 2029 for Irving in the last two days, sources with knowledge of the discussions said — to which the Nets informed the Lakers that in order to make an offer to get in the Irving sweepstakes they would require all of their young players such as Austin Reaves and Max Christie and pick swaps in addition to Westbrook and the two first-round picks.

The Nets ultimately moved on from a possible Lakers framework to choose Dallas.

No way in Hee Haw hell. That's literally how you tell someone "we're not dealing with you", without actually saying the words. People complain about our FO...as I'm sure most fan bases of any franchise do. But, I can't imagine ANY FO stupid enough to acquiesce to that deal.
King Randle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 7:16 pm    Post subject:

https://twitter.com/jamesedrick3/status/1622420134219419648?s=46&t=acB9R6F3mo-cZZJTUw0J5w

No idea if this is credible. Let me know so I don’t post this guy again.
levon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 7:16 pm    Post subject:

sonic the laker wrote:
ocho wrote:
Shams.

Quote:
The Lakers offered the Nets a package of Westbrook and two first-round picks in 2027 and 2029 for Irving in the last two days, sources with knowledge of the discussions said — to which the Nets informed the Lakers that in order to make an offer to get in the Irving sweepstakes they would require all of their young players such as Austin Reaves and Max Christie and pick swaps in addition to Westbrook and the two first-round picks.

The Nets ultimately moved on from a possible Lakers framework to choose Dallas.

No way in Hee Haw hell. That's literally how you tell someone "we're not dealing with you", without actually saying the words. People complain about our FO...as I'm sure most fan bases of any franchise do. But, I can't imagine ANY FO stupid enough to acquiesce to that deal.

The Clippers, supposedly the smart front office, offered something that wasn't very far off. Young player, role player, 2028 first, 2 pick swaps.

In fact, now that I think about it, I think that was the "strong offer" that the Nets went back to the Lakers with.
Bron2AD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 7:18 pm    Post subject:

King Randle wrote:
https://twitter.com/jamesedrick3/status/1622420134219419648?s=46&t=acB9R6F3mo-cZZJTUw0J5w

Next we will hear about Gordon 😂
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 7:21 pm    Post subject:

That package everyone is scoffing at, it was able to give you Myles Turner and Buddy Hield.

Turner/Bryant
AD/Bron
Lebron/Rui
Hield/Walker
Bev/Dennis

That’s a 48-50 win team. Top 4 in West. We messed up, and star chased as usual. Maybe these picks will turn out to be the next Ingram/Ball and we will be grateful years from now. But right now it looks beyond dumb to pass on Indianas talent only to offer it up for Kyrie, then get rejected.

I wouldn’t trade Turner/Hield/Reaves/Christie for Kyrie, which is what the Nets basically asked from us. Damn.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 7:24 pm    Post subject:

Let’s say we make the Indy trade, a package of Hield, Rui, Reaves, 2nd rounders looks good to BRK. Just showing how we keep making the wrong calls always star chasing. We didn’t think Myles/Buddy were worth it but did think Kyrie (the warts and all that come with him) is worth it. We just don’t value roster building and true floor balance/depth.

Even Rui, he has a lot of appeal from Japanese market I think.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Barry Seal
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 7:26 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
Let’s say we make the Indy trade, a package of Hield, Rui, Reaves, 2nd rounders looks good to BRK. Just showing how we keep making the wrong calls always star chasing. We didn’t think Myles/Buddy were worth it but did think Kyrie (the warts and all that come with him) is worth it. We just don’t value roster building and true floor balance/depth.

The Pacers wanted both picks unprotected and for us to take bad contracts like Thies as a start. It’s not worth it
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 7:27 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
Quote:

I do.

5 years is an eternity in NBA terms. There is no way to reasonably predict who will be on the Lakers and how good or bad the team will be. If I were the one trading for those pics, I certainly wouldn't value them as a likely number one overall pick
av3773
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 7:29 pm    Post subject:

The nets request if true, is just saying we aren’t trading kyrie to the lakers…they obviously didn’t get that haul from Dallas.
skin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 7:32 pm    Post subject:

I think lakers end up standing pat. This was the only available deal that made them better.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 7:33 pm    Post subject:

Barry Seal wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:

The Pacers wanted both picks unprotected and for us to take bad contracts like Thies as a start. It’s not worth it

I didn’t see any part where we would have protected the picks for Kyrie. Like I’ve said, this deal we jumped on. We view stars as premium assets that we must get. We’ve learned nothing from the Westbrook disaster.

I’m one of those guys who doesn’t think Kyrie is either the worst dude or the best. He’s a good player, a better fit than WB by miles. But I don’t think his net impact is greater on defense than Turner would have been, and certainly Hields shooting would be a big bonus for us. Those guys are just quality support pieces like KCP, Green, etc.

We just don’t roster build that way since the title. It’s almost as if the title was a complete and utter fluke where Kawhi sayings no in his decision forced us to pick up actual quality support talent. With Kawhi injury history/run, we may have been sitting with 0 titles right now had he picked us. It’s as if we learned nothing from the summer or 2019 and the Westbrook debacle. We just keep doing the same over and over.

Last edited by wolfpaclaker on Sun Feb 05, 2023 7:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Atticus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 7:34 pm    Post subject:

People need to recalibrate the value of these first round picks. Donovan was traded for four firsts and a young all star. Gobert cost 5 firsts and swaps. Paul George cost 5 firsts and SGA. AD cost 3 firsts, swaps and BI. Obese James Harden going into a free agency summer cost Simmons and two firsts. Even Dejounte Murray cost 3 firsts and swaps. Our two firsts and one of the worst expiring contracts in the league is not overpaying for anything. We'll see if anyone budges on a Russ deal involving one first, but suggesting that two firsts was too much for 2 starter caliber players (while also dumping a largely ineffective player) is silly.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 7:35 pm    Post subject:

King Randle wrote:

He is referring to a report in The Athletic. I haven't seen it.
epic_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 7:37 pm    Post subject:

King Randle wrote:

Naw. He's just trying to be funny.
He's not an insider.
💜💛 🏆 👀 🍖 #18!!!
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1105, 1106, 1107 ... 2616, 2617, 2618  Next
Page 1106 of 2618
Jump to: