NEW GENERAL FREE AGENCY/TRADE THREAD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 716, 717, 718 ... 2551, 2552, 2553  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Japago
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2022 8:28 pm    Post subject:

It's so frustrating seeing all these teams look solid just by having a lot of depth.

That's where the league is right now. Every team needs depth to be good, and the stars separate the great teams from the good teams when those teams have depth.

Even with stars, you can't go anywhere without depth.

The Lakers gave up a lot for AD, but the Lakers could still be contenders right now had they managed themselves well from that point. They let good players walk and traded players and draft picks for players who haven't been as good for the Lakers.

I haven't been here in awhile, but there's really nothing new to say from last season. Just more frustration.

I hate rebuilding when there's ANY chance of winning. People overlook the rarity of that actually working out.

But, we've been at the point right now where it's either a big move or blow it up and rebuild.

I don't understand the point of staying on the current course. There's absolutely no point to it. I feel like these last 2 seasons have been just an utter waste of time.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2022 9:30 pm    Post subject:

Japago wrote:
I

I don't understand the point of staying on the current course. There's absolutely no point to it. I feel like these last 2 seasons have been just an utter waste of time.

It’s possible the Lakers are going into a very slow rebuild. They may think Lakers fans won’t accept a teardown. So they will coast along with AD and Lebron, while being open to an amazing no-brainer trade if it comes along, but not expecting it.

We will flounder for a few years while the FO says they are always open to a deal. And then we will start the inevitable rebuild when delays are no longer possible.

The Lakers, for their part, will eke out a few years of revenue from Lebron and AD, while telling themselves, "Hey, these two won a ring before, so who knows -- they could again."
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2022 9:31 pm    Post subject:

If the Lakers don’t have a good outing in December I would trade everyone on the roster, sucks that the Lakers gave LeBron the 15% trade kicker or else we would have had a good chance to blow it up if the season went south in the next couple of weeks.
Bron2AD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2022 9:35 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
If the Lakers don’t have a good outing in December I would trade everyone on the roster, sucks that the Lakers gave LeBron the 15% trade kicker or else we would have had a good chance to blow it up if the season went south in the next couple of weeks.

Only if u understood lebron can’t be traded till summer. Even with that only one incompetent gm would trade for him… It’s ex agent rob pelinka

So chill
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2022 9:38 pm    Post subject:

Dennis100mtrash wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

Only if u understood lebron can’t be traded till summer. Even with that only one incompetent gm would trade for him… It’s ex agent rob pelinka

So chill

I know he can’t be traded until the summer I just want to find out why the heck the Lakers gave LeBron so much power and control in his extension, those kind of rewards only happen to players who are in there prime and the team is ready to win titles in which we aren’t.
Bron2AD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2022 9:43 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
Dennis100mtrash wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

So chill

I know he can’t be traded until the summer I just want to find out why the heck the Lakers gave LeBron so much power and control in his extension, those kind of rewards only happen to players who are in there prime and the team is ready to win titles in which we aren’t.

Ur name was literally Kobe 2.0 and u don’t know we gave him max contract after he tore his Achilles? Bro
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2022 9:45 pm    Post subject:

Dennis100mtrash wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
Dennis100mtrash wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

So chill

Ur name was literally Kobe 2.0 and u don’t know we gave him max contract after he tore his Achilles? Bro

You can give him a max extension while also having the ability to trade him
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2022 9:46 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
Dennis100mtrash wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

So chill

The extension was a standard 1 year plus 1 year player option.

A player who has his Bird rights gets an automatic, de facto no-trade clause in the first year of that kind of deal.

There are actually lots of NBA players who have that deal and can only be traded with their permission, including lots of older players who aren't close to being stars -- James Harden, Udonis Haslem, Serge Ibaka, Derrick Jones, Rodney McGruder, Mike Muscala, Victor Oladipo, Theo Pinson, Drew Eubanks, Kessler Edwards, Jevon Carter, and Bismack Biyombe.

The only player in the league right now with an actual no trade clause is Bradley Beal.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2022 9:59 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
Dennis100mtrash wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

So chill

A player who has his Bird rights gets an automatic, de facto no-trade clause in the first year of that kind of deal.

There are actually lots of NBA players who have that deal and can only be traded with their permission, including lots of older players who aren't close to being stars -- James Harden, Udonis Haslem, Serge Ibaka, Derrick Jones, Rodney McGruder, Mike Muscala, Victor Oladipo, Theo Pinson, Drew Eubanks, Kessler Edwards, Jevon Carter, and Bismack Biyombe.

The only player in the league right now with an actual no trade clause is Bradley Beal.

So if LeBron can have permission to be traded what’s stoping it from happening? Sorry if I sound dumb I’m not really smart when it comes to the CBA
Japago
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2022 10:21 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
Japago wrote:
I

It’s possible the Lakers are going into a very slow rebuild. They may think Lakers fans won’t accept a teardown. So they will coast along with AD and Lebron, while being open to an amazing no-brainer trade if it comes along, but not expecting it.

We will flounder for a few years while the FO says they are always open to a deal. And then we will start the inevitable rebuild when delays are no longer possible.

The Lakers, for their part, will eke out a few years of revenue from Lebron and AD, while telling themselves, "Hey, these two won a ring before, so who knows -- they could again."

I can understand ownership not willing to pay as much luxury tax as the Warriors and Clippers.

But when owners are so cheap that they just want to eke out a few extra dollars instead of doing what it takes to get back to competing, that's cheapness beyond what should be tolerated by fanbases.

That would be even worse than having an unhealthy obsession with getting stars. At least that's a misguided philosophy of trying to win. Key that it's a least an attempt at trying to win.

For now, I think that's the case. Accumulating stars have been the Lakers' way of trying to operate for a long time. They spent a lot of free agencies trying to attract stars. They were even forced into going for depth when they couldn't get Kawhi during the 2019 off-season. Most recently, they've been attached to Bradley Beal. They were attached to Kyrie in the off-season.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2022 10:25 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
activeverb wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
Dennis100mtrash wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

So chill

So if LeBron can have permission to be traded what’s stoping it from happening? Sorry if I sound dumb I’m not really smart when it comes to the CBA

Lebron cannot be traded this year because of a technical issue with his contract (his raise exceeded 5%). So even if the Lakers and Lebron both wanted him to be traded, the Lakers are unable to.

Next year, the Lakers cannot trade Lebron unless he gives them permission to trade them.

If Lebron exercises his option in 2024-25, the Lakers can trade him.

So it goes like this:

 No trade is possible this year.
 Lebron can only be traded next with his permission.
 If Lebron exercises his option the following year, there are no restrictions against trading him.

In short, expect him to be around this year and next year, and probably for the year after that.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2022 10:26 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
activeverb wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
Dennis100mtrash wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

So chill

Lebron cannot be traded this year because of a technical issue with his contract (his raise exceeded 5%). So even if the Lakers and Lebron both wanted him to be traded, the Lakers are unable to.

Next year, the Lakers cannot trade Lebron unless he gives them permission to trade them.

So it goes like this:

 If Lebron exercises his option the following year, there are no restrictions against trading him.

In short, expect him to be around this year and next year, and probably for the year after that.

Thanks
Darkndeep
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 3:11 am    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
At this point it’s a matter of time before frustration really kicks in with Anthony Davis, he’s playing like a DPOY candidate he’s putting up MVP type numbers but the team can’t seem do anything even with how amazing he’s playing, if he did request a trade the level of interest would be high.

So, AD finally actually starts playing and now the team that has been giving him a perpetual paid vacation on the injured list is being unfair to him? If he's frustrated, he can enjoy what the rest of us who wonder if you can ever look at a Lakers pregame lineup without seeing AD out or without some qualifier on his availability feel every day. I doubt that AD is as ungrateful and self-centered as you suggest because he has been on the court for a handful of games but, if he is, yeah, ship his @$$ out of here ASAP.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 4:42 am    Post subject:

Darkndeep wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
At this point it’s a matter of time before frustration really kicks in with Anthony Davis, he’s playing like a DPOY candidate he’s putting up MVP type numbers but the team can’t seem do anything even with how amazing he’s playing, if he did request a trade the level of interest would be high.

So, AD finally actually starts playing and now the team that has been giving him a perpetual paid vacation on the injured list is being unfair to him? If he's frustrated, he can enjoy what the rest of us who wonder if you can ever look at a Lakers pregame lineup without seeing AD out or questionable feel every day. I doubt that AD is as ungrateful and self-centered as you suggest but, if he is, yeah, ship his @$$ out of here ASAP.

Losing more then winning will bring frustration no matter how well the Lakers treat him.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 5:20 am    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
If the Lakers don’t have a good outing in December I would trade everyone on the roster

You would have traded everyone on the roster on July 1. It's how you roll.
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 5:25 am    Post subject:

I understand that there will be times where we are under 500 as a team. I have no issues with that. What really bugs me is having 3 guys on the team making over 45 million and still being under 500. Makes me hate all three of them.

I thought the extension to Kobe was dumb, but this extension to Legramps has got to be up there with the Westbrook trade as being one of the stupidest moves in Laker history. I really have no interest in watching Legramps or Westbrook this season. The other guys I don't mind.
rock0100
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 5:57 am    Post subject:

defense wrote:
I understand that there will be times where we are under 500 as a team. I have no issues with that. What really bugs me is having 3 guys on the team making over 45 million and still being under 500. Makes me hate all three of them.

I thought the extension to Kobe was dumb, but this extension to Legramps has got to be up there with the Westbrook trade as being one of the stupidest moves in Laker history. I really have no interest in watching Legramps or Westbrook this season. The other guys I don't mind.

You are exactly right. Sometimes we will have bad years, but the talent level will match.

The Lebron extension is pointless if the plan all along was to stand pat and not surround him and Davis with depth.

Either commit to the next 2.5 years or do what Ainge did and sell everything.

Being in between is so frustrating, especially when you have the talent to make the playoffs and are still one of the worst performing teams in the league.
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 6:23 am    Post subject:

Walker looks like last season Monk
Yay

Westbrook looks like last season Melo
LeBron looks like last season Westbrook
Sigh
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 6:34 am    Post subject:

20 games in, the evaluation should be that the team needs a starting level big, a starting level wing, and at least 1 sniper off the bench.

We're 3 players away from being a top 6 playoff level team, and while we could probably land 2 with the Indiana trade, a second deal would be needed to get to where where they need to be to secure a consistent .500+ record. H

If you can't feel confident in making those moves, and you know in free agency in 2023 you're not going to get 3 impact players + keep AD/Bron/Reaves/Walker (4 of the 5 best players from this year so far, with WB) then you'll need to do something now before.

If the plan is to wait out WB's contract and keep the picks, really hoping we move AD. He's playing phenomenal, and the type of draft picks we could attain for him, and breaking his contract into 2-3 players not only helps us trade wise but also roster wise. As great as AD has been, if you can get 2-3 players + 2-3 picks, with Rob's obsession with free agency, that's the way to go here. You won't get more for AD in the summer, you'll get less, IMO. From my perspective even if you are star chasing in the summer (Kyrie), a roster that has multiple impact players + Lebron + cap flexibility and a boat load of draft picks is better than what they have right now.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 6:42 am    Post subject:

defense wrote:

I understand why you feel this way, but in the end, this comes down to sunk costs. The damage was done over a period of years, with the final blows landing in July and August of 2021.

So the question is this: If we didn't extend Lebron, what was the realistic alternative? I emphasize the word "realistic" because there are a lot of things that Jeanie and Pelinka just weren't going to do. We couldn't tank for draft picks, at least in the short run, and besides, Jeanie knows that she based her coup on Mitch/Jim doing just that. We can't rebuild with youth because we don't have draft picks and because, once again, that's what Mitch/Jim did.

There really is no path out of this, other than the passage of time. Extending Lebron for a couple years covers some of that time. Basketball is an entertainment product, and Lebron is an entertainer. If nothing else, he gives you someone to hate and to blame for everything.

Of course, there are people who insist that we must make another quick fix trade. I'm more than a little bit surprised that Jeanie and Pelinka haven't succumbed to this yet. But all it would do is kick the can down the street. We'd keep burning the future for a mediocre present. We will get screwed on any deal, because everyone knows that we're desperate, and because Pelinka is a weak (and apparently arrogant) negotiator. Still, the pressure is going to be immense. If we get through the season without making a godawful trade that condemns us to the lottery until the 2030s, I'll be surprised and relieved.
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 7:23 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
defense wrote:

I understand why you feel this way, but in the end, this comes down to sunk costs. The damage was done over a period of years, with the final blows landing in July and August of 2021.

So the question is this: If we didn't extend Lebron, what was the realistic alternative? I emphasize the word "realistic" because there are a lot of things that Jeanie and Pelinka just weren't going to do. We couldn't tank for draft picks, at least in the short run, and besides, Jeanie knows that she based her coup on Mitch/Jim doing just that. We can't rebuild with youth because we don't have draft picks and because, once again, that's what Mitch/Jim did.

There really is no path out of this, other than the passage of time. Extending Lebron for a couple years covers some of that time. Basketball is an entertainment product, and Lebron is an entertainer. If nothing else, he gives you someone to hate and to blame for everything.

Of course, there are people who insist that we must make another quick fix trade. I'm more than a little bit surprised that Jeanie and Pelinka haven't succumbed to this yet. But all it would do is kick the can down the street. We'd keep burning the future for a mediocre present. We will get screwed on any deal, because everyone knows that we're desperate, and because Pelinka is a weak (and apparently arrogant) negotiator. Still, the pressure is going to be immense. If we get through the season without making a godawful trade that condemns us to the lottery until the 2030s, I'll be surprised and relieved.

Understood, and all of this is my problem. I wish they had the courage to trade Lebron before they extended him. That was the smart move in my opinion. I guess now we just sit back and suck? There really is no way around it as long as Lebron is on this team. As you say, all they are really doing is extending the suckage.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 7:44 am    Post subject:

Russ to Charlotte makes too much sense. I think MJ would keep Russ and let him just be Russ. Put up numbers, and the team is still bad and would be effectively tanking regardless. But maybe Russ can keep some Hornets fans.

I think there are deals you can make where the Lakers only give up 2nd rounders and Russ, but have to eat substantial salaries (Hayward and Rozier).

There are a few possibilities:

1. Russ/2nds for Hayward/Rozier. Not preferable but I think it could be done.

2. Russ/1 FRP for Rozier/PJ/Oubre. This I would be interested in. But that would require the Lakers to be ok with punting their cap space. This would add a ton of wing depth to the team.

3. Russ/1 FRP for Hayward/PJ/Oubre. This would minimize the long-term pain by taking on a shorter term Hayward deal. When Hayward plays, he's actually an ideal fit with LBJ/AD. But of course, he's an injury prone player.

Under no circumstances would I give up 2 FRPs. Not sure the Hornets really get more than a Lakers FRP if they are trying to unload Rozier/Hayward's deals. I remember the report that Charlotte was offering a 1st rounder for a team to take Hayward this summer.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 7:52 am    Post subject:

defense wrote:
Understood, and all of this is my problem. I wish they had the courage to trade Lebron before they extended him. That was the smart move in my opinion. I guess now we just sit back and suck? There really is no way around it as long as Lebron is on this team. As you say, all they are really doing is extending the suckage.

I agree with the theory. But was trading Lebron really an option, other than in the theoretical sense? Is anyone trading for Lebron if he didn't want to go there? And what would you get for him? We'll never know for sure, but my gut feeling is that we wouldn't have gotten much back except a big non-expiring contract (Kyle Lowry, for example) and maybe a couple protected picks.

So I agree with the sentiment. We've just painted ourselves into a corner.
Darkndeep
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 7:57 am    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
Darkndeep wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

So, AD finally actually starts playing and now the team that has been giving him a perpetual paid vacation on the injured list is being unfair to him? If he's frustrated, he can enjoy what the rest of us who wonder if you can ever look at a Lakers pregame lineup without seeing AD out or questionable feel every day. I doubt that AD is as ungrateful and self-centered as you suggest but, if he is, yeah, ship his @$$ out of here ASAP.

Losing more then winning will bring frustration no matter how well the Lakers treat him.

Only to the type of ingrate, hypocrite I described.
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 8:03 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
activeverb wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
Dennis100mtrash wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

So chill

So it goes like this:

Lakers really blew it by not trading him this last off-season when he had some value. Then compounded it with his lifetime achievement max extension.

Just add it to the list of bad decisions when watching every loss this season. And next. And if you are correct, the season after that.

I feel ill with the thought of being so non-competitive and the laughing stock/ patsy of the NBA for the foreseeable future.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 716, 717, 718 ... 2551, 2552, 2553  Next
Page 717 of 2553
Jump to: