NEW GENERAL FREE AGENCY/TRADE THREAD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 470, 471, 472 ... 2551, 2552, 2553  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 12:49 pm    Post subject:

Woj
Quote:
One GM tells ESPN: “It feels like last night will start a race to the bottom like we've never seen."

Megaton
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 12:51 pm    Post subject:

Laker's Fan wrote:
Woj
Quote:
One GM tells ESPN: “It feels like last night will start a race to the bottom like we've never seen."

No doubt. Victor is the next franchise generational prospect.

If dude builds enough muscle, the kid will be an MVP level player for MANY years. If the Thunder manage to get the 1st pick, league is (bleep) in a couple more years after.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 12:52 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
ocho wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
ocho wrote:
The Oden comparisons are pretty weak. Oden was very good until the injuries, but even at full strength he didn’t have nearly the skill and versatility Wembanyama has. His hype came when people still thought you needed a back to the basket rim protector above all else. Oden without the injuries would have been a solid player, but he couldn’t score for you outside the paint and wasn’t nearly as mobile as Wembanyama who can also score from anywhere on the floor. It’s difficult to see a path where Wembanyama isn’t a huge success in the league barring major injuries.

But that's the point.

Naw it’s just a weak comparison unless you’re just saying because Oden got hurt you can’t evaluate anyone. Or you expect the game to undergo a seismic shift that will render VW’s skills largely irrelevant (and I don’t see how that’s possible given his skills.) Injuries aside, VW is on another level as a prospect compared to Oden. Maybe he gets hurt all the time and won’t be able to play but you can say that about virtually anyone.

But that's not the point. The question is whether a team would go through heroic measures to tank for a 14% chance of drafting Wembanyama. This is why the lottery system got changed (more than once). The best you can get is a 14% chance at drafting a guy who might be the next great thing, or who might be the next Greg Oden/Ralph Sampson/Derrick Rose. The NBA wanted to change the calculus for teams, and they did.

I don't have a crystal ball to tell you whether Wembanyama will turn out to be an all-time great or an injury bust, or somewhere in between. What I'm addressing is the practical decisions being made by the rebuilding teams this year.

The lottery odds make it a challenge, for sure. I do think though, in addition to the teams already tanking, more will join the race when it looks like their season isn’t going to amount to anything. Post Jan/ASB I could see a lot of DNPs.
levon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 12:53 pm    Post subject:

I mean he has more defensive potential than Zion and can shoot and frankly handle better. If you fused Kevin Durant and Rudy Gobert.
Megaton
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 12:55 pm    Post subject:

If only this year's Lakers pick wasn't a pick swap. Then there would be a reason to watch this team suck this year.
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 12:56 pm    Post subject:

Will he implode when bumped by someone Artest strong like Chet?
BEazy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 12:56 pm    Post subject:

All this Victor hype is making me think Pacers might try like hell to offload Myles and Buddy. Would be nice if they accepted Westbrook and a 2nd round pick for them…
levon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 1:01 pm    Post subject:

The problem is if you look at the projected lottery teams on tankathon, there aren't that many contracts that the Lakers can trade for. Maybe they can send Bev for someone, but Westbrook is really unwieldy. It's really either Indiana or potentially Chicago if they decide to sell.

We should just hold on to 2027.

The #1 picks this century every four years starting from 2003:
Lebron
Oden
Kyrie
KAT
Zion
Wemby ?
??

What do the Dead Sea scrolls have to say about this

Last edited by levon on Wed Oct 05, 2022 1:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
vasashi17+
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 1:02 pm    Post subject:

Laker's Fan wrote:
Woj
Quote:

The hype is real and tanking teams will be more than happy to fall into a backup option (if not the #1 overall pick) with the hype behind the depth of this 2023 draft class as well.

https://sports.yahoo.com/2023-nba-draft-why-the-top-5-picks-led-by-victor-wembanyama-and-scoot-henderson-will-be-like-no-class-before-173324212.html

Hey yo, Mike @ LG, where you at playa? Tell us if the 2023 draft class will be all the rage.

Meanwhile Gordon got tired of waiting around for Rob to rescue him from Htown….

Quote:
Kelly Iko @KellyIko
Rockets G Eric Gordon has left Landmark Sports Agency and is now represented by CAA, sources tell @TheAthletic.

anth2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 1:12 pm    Post subject:

Here is comes....
All the hype and love for Wembanyama when the dude hasn't even played an NBA game yet.
Folks love the freakishly tall guy that can shoot....but, he's young, can he stay healthy...
I get the hype, much like what Zion and Lebron got before they entered the league, but I say, be cautious....we don't know if Wembanyama will remain healthy.

Just saying....
Megaton
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 1:19 pm    Post subject:

anth2000 wrote:
Here is comes....
All the hype and love for Wembanyama when the dude hasn't even played an NBA game yet..

You say this like this is anything new.

You say this like there hasn't been a kid coming out of the draft and made an impact day 1/year 1.

You say this like not having played in the NBA before is somehow a determint against the player when it's more times than not, quite the opposite. Who would you rather have RIGHT NOW: This Victor kid, or some G-leaguer like Jay Huff? Or do you one better: Victor or Isaiah Hartenstein? I know what Knicks fans would answer.

The answer may shock you.
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 1:41 pm    Post subject:

A race to the bottom could be very good for the lakers if a few teams start off slow and want to tank. Those two picks will be very attractive to teams looking to shed wins anyway. Might be smart to hold off afterall.

Hell i almost wish we could tank for Wemanyana
anth2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 1:42 pm    Post subject:

Megaton wrote:
anth2000 wrote:
Here is comes....
All the hype and love for Wembanyama when the dude hasn't even played an NBA game yet..

You say this like this is anything new.

You say this like there hasn't been a kid coming out of the draft and made an impact day 1/year 1.

You say this like not having played in the NBA before is somehow a determint against the player when it's more times than not, quite the opposite. Who would you rather have RIGHT NOW: This Victor kid, or some G-leaguer like Jay Huff? Or do you one better: Victor or Isaiah Hartenstein? I know what Knicks fans would answer.

The answer may shock you.

Yep, totally true.
I just hope the kid can stay healthy and handle the hype.
Some kids are not built to handle the pressure...
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 2:22 pm    Post subject:

Why wouldn’t a team tank for that 52% top 4 chance instead of fighting or the 12th spot
lakersfever714
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 2:32 pm    Post subject:

How do you contest a 7'5" player shooting threes? You don't. I think Victor could just shoot threes like in practice all game long if he wanted to.

Scoot Henderson has DWade written all over him. If Scoot was 3 inches taller, I would take him over Victor.
Balto
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 2:39 pm    Post subject:

lakersfever714 wrote:
How do you contest a 7'5" player shooting threes? You don't. I think Victor could just shoot threes like in practice all game long if he wanted to.

Scoot Henderson has DWade written all over him. If Scoot was 3 inches taller, I would take him over Victor.

Ham would just put Bev on him of course!
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 2:40 pm    Post subject:

lakersfever714 wrote:

Even a slower 7’5” like Yao had to be doubled
Balto
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 2:47 pm    Post subject:

Honestly doesn't this seem like a Knicks kinda thing and of course end up with the best odds but lotto gives them the 3rd pick haha. Knicks have the most tradable picks(I think) so could throw the farm at who ever gets the #1 pick.

Maybe could get a RJ Barrett/Reddish/Randle package for Westbrook? Maybe give up a pick
Balto
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 2:50 pm    Post subject:

Laker's Fan wrote:
Woj
Quote:

Maybe this is Rob and he truly believes that this will happen. Maybe he thinks because so many teams will be tanking that getting into the playoffs, even the back end, with Russ and keeping those two picks will be much easier with teams tanking.
anth2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 2:54 pm    Post subject:

Balto wrote:
Honestly doesn't this seem like a Knicks kinda thing and of course end up with the best odds but lotto gives them the 3rd pick haha. Knicks have the most tradable picks(I think) so could throw the farm at who ever gets the #1 pick.

Maybe could get a RJ Barrett/Reddish/Randle package for Westbrook? Maybe give up a pick

Not sure the math works plus why would we want Randle and his horrible contract?

Randle - owed 4 years at $117 million
Barrett - owned 1 year at $10,9 million
Reddish - owed 2 years at $17 million
Balto
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 2:55 pm    Post subject:

anth2000 wrote:
Balto wrote:

Not sure the math works plus why would we want Randle and his horrible contract?

Randle - owed 4 years at $117 million
Barrett - owned 1 year at $10,9 million
Reddish - owed 2 years at $17 million

So we don't have to give up picks? Yes math works.
miggz23
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 2:56 pm    Post subject:

If I'm one of the the middle borderline young teams... I would tank and see if I can steal Victor away. I think Victor is worth it. Specially if you're roster is still fairly young. I think this one way to get one big improvement leap.

Teams like Nuggets/Timberwolves/Pels/Raptors/Cavs/Hawks are young enough that they can afford to throw away a season.
Balto
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 2:58 pm    Post subject:

BTW all this talk about Wemanyana seems like another Porky/unicorn? Hopefully he can stay much much healthier
epic_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 3:30 pm    Post subject:

Man, we got to go through a year of talking about the '23 draft? Geez. Let me enjoy the season first.

Anyway, this is the guy we should be after anyway:
https://twitter.com/ClutchPointsApp/status/1577802302504697857
💜💛 🏆 👀 🍖 #18!!!
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 3:37 pm    Post subject:

Balto wrote:
Laker's Fan wrote:
Woj
Quote:

Maybe this is Rob and he truly believes that this will happen. Maybe he thinks because so many teams will be tanking that getting into the playoffs, even the back end, with Russ and keeping those two picks will be much easier with teams tanking.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/34733814/victor-wembanyama-agent-shoots-some-execs-idea-top-prospect-shut-nba-draft
Quote:
The NBA teams hoping to get lucky in the draft lottery on May 16 were also in the building. Los Angeles Lakers general manager Rob Pelinka was one of nearly 200 NBA representatives who had been issued credentials for the game, Ignite public relations director Mara Rudolph said.

Only explanation Pelinka was there
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 470, 471, 472 ... 2551, 2552, 2553  Next
Page 471 of 2553
Jump to: