NEW GENERAL FREE AGENCY/TRADE THREAD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 436, 437, 438 ... 2625, 2626, 2627  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 5:47 am    Post subject:

Megaton wrote:
https://i.imgur.com/WKDHwnB.jpg

For anybody that swore Westbrook would be off the team by TC

Westbrook/Schroder
Beverly/Nunn/Walker
LeBron/Reaves
AD/JTA/Swider
Bryant/Jones

Can't wait to watch this disaster of a lineup game 1.

I see they put some Ham in the middle to help close the gap.
JUST-MING
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 5:50 am    Post subject:

Is it too early to talk about the buyout market?

• I can see Utah buyout 35 year old Mike Conley ($23 million) and/or 36 year old Rudy Gay ($7 million), either before the season, in Rudy's case, or at the trade deadline.

• I can see Orlando buyout 28 year old Gary Harris ($13 million) and 31 year old Terrence Ross ($11 million). Gary was a rumored buyout candidate last year, Terrence has been available for a first round pick since the bubble.

• I can see Oklahoma City buyout 31 tear old Derrick Favors ($10 million). No one will trade a draft pick for him.

• If Phoenix can't find a trade partner for 32 year old Jae Crowder ($10 million), he could be bought out.

• I can see Memphis buyout 35 year old Danny Green ($10 million), but I expect him to be traded for Kelly Olynyk.

• I can see Houston buyout 34 year old Eric Gordon ($20 million). Eric was available for a first round pick last year.

• I can see Detroit buyout 32 year old Kemba Walker ($9 million). I expect both 31 year old Alec Burks ($10 million) and 28 year old Nerlens Noel ($9 million) to be available as expiring contracts at the trade deadline.

Teams to watch?

• Portland might have a fire sale at the deadline if they are still a lottery team. I would trade for 27 year old Josh Hart ($12 million), since he played in the new offense in college. If they want Jerami Grant, sign him as a free agent.

Last edited by JUST-MING on Tue Sep 27, 2022 5:52 am; edited 1 time in total
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 5:52 am    Post subject:

AgentScarn wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:

I watched the Pelinka/Ham session last night and came away drinking the Kool-Aid. With reasonable health (not perfect health), this team could be a lot better than expected. After last season, it's way too easy to focus on the negatives.

Every team thinks they can be a lot better than expected right now. This is a 7-10 seed and first round exit roster.

This may be true. Just the same, I came away seeing a path to this team being better than a lot of us expected. The question is whether Ham can get the team to do what he wants. As always, it depends on whether Lebron and Davis hold up reasonably well.
King Randle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 5:53 am    Post subject:

Megaton wrote:
https://i.imgur.com/WKDHwnB.jpg

For anybody that swore Westbrook would be off the team by TC

Westbrook/Schroder
Beverly/Nunn/Walker
LeBron/Reaves
AD/JTA/Swider
Bryant/Jones

Can't wait to watch this disaster of a lineup game 1.

I'm one of them...and definitely have pie on my face...and I agree it's going to be a long and disastrous season....42 wins tops...I find it laughable that Ham said "Bron and AD will not play play-off minutes the first 3 months" That's nice, so expect to be under .500 in January. I hope people here have other interests, like the NFL or college football...because this is going to be painful.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 6:01 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
AgentScarn wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:

I watched the Pelinka/Ham session last night and came away drinking the Kool-Aid. With reasonable health (not perfect health), this team could be a lot better than expected. After last season, it's way too easy to focus on the negatives.

Every team thinks they can be a lot better than expected right now. This is a 7-10 seed and first round exit roster.

This may be true. Just the same, I came away seeing a path to this team being better than a lot of us expected. The question is whether Ham can get the team to do what he wants. As always, it depends on whether Lebron and Davis hold up reasonably well.

They should certainly be better, especially in the regular season. I’m more concerned about how they’d perform in the playoffs. At the very least they have energetic guys who will compete. We watched a lot of Deandre Jordan, Carmelo Anthony, Wayne Ellington, etc last season.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 6:04 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
AgentScarn wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:

They're trying to re-create the 2019 defense/culture when Vogel came in. They want to hat their hat on defense, and know that if the defense is elite, then they will end up being competitive each night.

This is absolutely true, better defensive teams give you better chances to win each night, especially in the RS. We were 21st in D rating last year with the likes of WB, Lebron, Melo, DAJ, Baze, etc all being a big part of the old/slow looking team that just couldn't move.

This year the team has some young players - and some players that are better defenders apparently. If this is true, then I can see us jump from 21st to 10 range on defense. If this happens, which is reasonable, I can see us be anywhere from 5th to 7th in the West. If AD is healthy like 19-20, then they could be even better.

I do think they won't be a dominant defensive team or have the level they had in 19-20, but certainly Pelinka and Ham think it's possible. I don't see us having the same level defenders or the superstars at the same age (Lebron/AD 3 years older and a lot less likely to carry the team same way).

My guess has been 43 wins. I think we will be at least there. If AD stays healthier than he has, then I can see us get close to 48-50. I don't thik we will be less than a 43 win team and with the likes of Pat Bev, Dennis, Brown, JTA and a healthier AD, the team's defense should get back to at least top 10 in the NBA (Which is more than enough to have them over .500). Even last season, anytime the team was top 10 in defense, they won more than 50% of their games.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 6:09 am    Post subject:

^^^^

That's how I see it. There are a lot of "ifs" involved, for sure. But I can see a path to being better than a lot of people expect. We've spent too much time focusing on the negatives. There are still a lot of positives. Everything could go bad again if we have health issues. But if we have reasonable health, this team could make all of the negativity seem overblown.
King Randle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 6:09 am    Post subject:

https://twitter.com/mikefinger/status/1574406091567497216?s=46&t=UnVpPdgo7CS2B4KjxhZuew

I wish Darvin Ham would be this honest. Seriously. Not BS like the trio here can compare with the Buck trio. Complete nonsense.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 6:17 am    Post subject:

King Randle wrote:
https://twitter.com/mikefinger/status/1574406091567497216?s=46&t=UnVpPdgo7CS2B4KjxhZuew

I wish Darvin Ham would be this honest. Seriously. Not BS like the trio here can compare with the Buck trio. Complete nonsense.

Pop is like Phil, he can get away with being brutally honest in the media. The FO also has to respect his take on limitations of the team. Guys like Ham, they can't talk like that even if they wanted to. The FO would not tolerate it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
RI Laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 6:18 am    Post subject:

King Randle wrote:

Do you honestly think that a first year coach could say this? Pop can get away with it because of his credentials and distinguished career.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 6:19 am    Post subject:

Quote:
The #Lakers were willing to give up both of their first round picks for either Kyrie Irving or Donovan Mitchell this summer.

(via @mcten, on the @WindhorstESPN podcast)

Basically Pelinka covering his ass, but at least they aren’t being stupid anymore with asset management. They created such a deep hole that they are seeing the consequences.
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 6:22 am    Post subject:

JUST-MING wrote:

• I can see Utah buyout 35 year old Mike Conley ($23 million) and/or 36 year old Rudy Gay ($7 million), either before the season, in Rudy's case, or at the trade deadline.

• I can see Orlando buyout 28 year old Gary Harris ($13 million) and 31 year old Terrence Ross ($11 million). Gary was a rumored buyout candidate last year, Terrence has been available for a first round pick since the bubble.

• I can see Oklahoma City buyout 31 tear old Derrick Favors ($10 million). No one will trade a draft pick for him.

• If Phoenix can't find a trade partner for 32 year old Jae Crowder ($10 million), he could be bought out.

• I can see Memphis buyout 35 year old Danny Green ($10 million), but I expect him to be traded for Kelly Olynyk.

• I can see Houston buyout 34 year old Eric Gordon ($20 million). Eric was available for a first round pick last year.

• I can see Detroit buyout 32 year old Kemba Walker ($9 million). I expect both 31 year old Alec Burks ($10 million) and 28 year old Nerlens Noel ($9 million) to be available as expiring contracts at the trade deadline.

Teams to watch?

• Portland might have a fire sale at the deadline if they are still a lottery team. I would trade for 27 year old Josh Hart ($12 million), since he played in the new offense in college. If they want Jerami Grant, sign him as a free agent.

Give me Gary Harris and old man Danny Green
King Randle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 6:24 am    Post subject:

RI Laker wrote:
King Randle wrote:

Do you honestly think that a first year coach could say this? Pop can get away with it because of his credentials and distinguished career.

Okay...how about..."We'll do our best to play hard, compete, and be accountable. That's all I can promise. There are a lot of new faces, so be patient. And hopefully we'll have a product you can enjoy." That's fair...stop with the Bucks comparison...you lose a ton of credibility when you say this. Be honest...we all know this is a mediocre team with a ZERO chance to make a run... with this roster.
RI Laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 6:32 am    Post subject:

King Randle wrote:
RI Laker wrote:
King Randle wrote:

Okay...how about..."We'll do our best to play hard, compete, and be accountable. That's all I can promise. There are a lot of new faces, so be patient. And hopefully we'll have a product you can enjoy." That's fair...stop with the Bucks comparison...you lose a ton of credibility when you say this. Be honest...we all know this is a mediocre team with a ZERO chance to make a run... with this roster.

PERFECT
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 6:34 am    Post subject:

King Randle wrote:
RI Laker wrote:
King Randle wrote:

Too soft! "We are going to kick ass and make everyone regret what they said"

Wait that might have been Legramps
Megaton
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 6:40 am    Post subject:

defense wrote:
JUST-MING wrote:

Teams to watch?

Give me Gary Harris and old man Danny Green

Lol just what this team needs, MORE GUARDS!

The only respectable players on that list that would actually help this team is Favors and Terrance Ross. Everybody else on that list is either a corpse, or guards for a team already WAY overloaded with guards.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 6:52 am    Post subject:

King Randle wrote:

Do you really wish that? You wish the coach would submarine his own players before they even have a chance to play? Pop has been on autopilot for years and it’s not something I wish for this team.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 6:57 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
King Randle wrote:

Do you really wish that? You wish the coach would submarine his own players before they even have a chance to play? Pop has been on autopilot for years and it’s not something I wish for this team.

Agree to a degree that Pop is running out the string (although I will always appreciate his social justice stance), but it is also a wildly different situation. Everyone knows San Antonio is deep in rebuilding if not tanking mode. Pop is merely playing light against the old backdrop of constant contender. He’s not undermining his team or being controversial. None of that applies to the Ham situation.
King Randle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 7:36 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
King Randle wrote:

Submarine? Just be honest, we signed Walker (maybe decent) and a bunch of minimum guys...We know the outcome bro...Reality is...Bron will be 38 in December and he'll start to look like it...AD will be injured at some point...count on it...and Russ is Russ...Don't BS! It's bad look and we all know this is a 42 win team at best...Don't kid yourself.
lakersfever714
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 8:01 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
AgentScarn wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:

They're trying to re-create the 2019 defense/culture when Vogel came in. They want to hat their hat on defense, and know that if the defense is elite, then they will end up being competitive each night.

This is absolutely true, better defensive teams give you better chances to win each night, especially in the RS. We were 21st in D rating last year with the likes of WB, Lebron, Melo, DAJ, Baze, etc all being a big part of the old/slow looking team that just couldn't move.

This year the team has some young players - and some players that are better defenders apparently. If this is true, then I can see us jump from 21st to 10 range on defense. If this happens, which is reasonable, I can see us be anywhere from 5th to 7th in the West. If AD is healthy like 19-20, then they could be even better.

I do think they won't be a dominant defensive team or have the level they had in 19-20, but certainly Pelinka and Ham think it's possible. I don't see us having the same level defenders or the superstars at the same age (Lebron/AD 3 years older and a lot less likely to carry the team same way).

My guess has been 43 wins. I think we will be at least there. If AD stays healthier than he has, then I can see us get close to 48-50. I don't thik we will be less than a 43 win team and with the likes of Pat Bev, Dennis, Brown, JTA and a healthier AD, the team's defense should get back to at least top 10 in the NBA (Which is more than enough to have them over .500). Even last season, anytime the team was top 10 in defense, they won more than 50% of their games.

If the 2019 team had a dominant defense, then whose fault was it to tear up the team and try to go in a different direction such as getting more 3pt shooting and ballhandling to help out Lebron?

Being able to recreate the same defensive tenacity or not would be on Ham. One thing is for certain, Vogel had built a very strong resume as being a defensive guru during his years in Indiana. Ham is a first time HC so any assumption or speculation about our defense this year would just be assumption, speculation and hopium. So far, the only that somewhat impresses me about Ham is that he was groomed under Pops.
vasashi17+
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 8:24 am    Post subject:

Quote:
The Indiana Pacers’ training camp begins today, and at last check, Myles Turner is still a member of the team.

That’s news. It’s news if he’s here, and it’s news if he’s not here, although the news now is he’s basically in trade-block purgatory. There were countless times in recent months that he’s been headed to Los Angeles, maybe alongside Buddy Hield, maybe not. There are countless permutations of the deal, but in the end, Turner was supposed to be anywhere but Indiana by now.

So what I’m saying is, by the time I’m done writing this sentence, Turner may be gone.

At last check, the issue now is whether the Lakers will part with the second future first-round pick (2029) along with the 2027 first-rounder. Myles Turner could be traded any day now.

https://theathletic.com/3633420/2022/09/27/myles-turner-pacers-trade-lakers/

Quote:
Brian Windhorst: Any any explanation to the intrigue on why Rob Pelinka And Darvin Ham delayed their press conference by five days? … Why would they do that? Why would they do that? Dave McMenamin: I just know around the same time that occurred we were hearing from the Pacers GM that Myles Turner will for sure be with the team to start training camp so I don’t know. – via Apple Podcasts

Looks like Myles is back on the menu boys!

Cue JM’s jump ball stats in 3….2…. 😜

Remember if we keep that 2029 1st out of any trades this year, we have the option of trading either our ‘29 or ‘30 1sts next summer, which is the earliest time we’ll be able to trade our ‘30 pick. If the ‘29 is included in any trade this year, we’ll be prohibited from dealing that ‘30 1st in any trades moving forward, with the only option being that it could be a pick swap instead.

Also with nearly 30m+ in cap space projected for best summer, looks like Dray is an early entry for targets that could occupy that space.

Quote:
When discussing the reasoning behind Draymond Green’s desire to play for various teams, the executive noted that the Warriors star would love to play with Luka Doncic. “He has always thought about playing for Detroit, helping his hometown of Flint at the same time. He would love to play with a superstar like Luka where he has to just play off him,” the executive said. “And he is Klutch. you know he loves being on the barbershop show with LeBron James. He wants to have an entertainment career when he is done playing. You don’t need to be in L.A. for that, but it helps.” – via Jack Simone @ Heavy.com

King Randle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 8:33 am    Post subject:

https://twitter.com/clutchpointsapp/status/1574543095345172500?s=46&t=UnVpPdgo7CS2B4KjxhZuew

I’ll give Russ credit for being honest and knowing the reality of the situation. Not sugar coating like his coach. This is pretty clear when and if the right deal pops up he’s gone…and the feeling is mutual between him and the FO.
cital
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 8:36 am    Post subject:

It will be interesting to see who makes the team between Gabriel and Huff, assuming we don't carry 15 to start the season.
joeblow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 8:42 am    Post subject:

^^^ My vote is for Gabriel. We need his athletic and 6'9" size as a potentially better defensive presence in the backup PF role than what Huff can offer (and I liked Huff's offense a lot in Summer League).
nomoreshaq
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 8:45 am    Post subject:

vasashi17+ wrote:
Quote:
The Indiana Pacers’ training camp begins today, and at last check, Myles Turner is still a member of the team.

That’s news. It’s news if he’s here, and it’s news if he’s not here, although the news now is he’s basically in trade-block purgatory. There were countless times in recent months that he’s been headed to Los Angeles, maybe alongside Buddy Hield, maybe not. There are countless permutations of the deal, but in the end, Turner was supposed to be anywhere but Indiana by now.

So what I’m saying is, by the time I’m done writing this sentence, Turner may be gone.

At last check, the issue now is whether the Lakers will part with the second future first-round pick (2029) along with the 2027 first-rounder. Myles Turner could be traded any day now.

https://theathletic.com/3633420/2022/09/27/myles-turner-pacers-trade-lakers/

Quote:
Brian Windhorst: Any any explanation to the intrigue on why Rob Pelinka And Darvin Ham delayed their press conference by five days? … Why would they do that? Why would they do that? Dave McMenamin: I just know around the same time that occurred we were hearing from the Pacers GM that Myles Turner will for sure be with the team to start training camp so I don’t know. – via Apple Podcasts

Looks like Myles is back on the menu boys!

Cue JM’s jump ball stats in 3….2…. 😜

Remember if we keep that 2029 1st out of any trades this year, we have the option of trading either our ‘29 or ‘30 1sts next summer, which is the earliest time we’ll be able to trade our ‘30 pick. If the ‘29 is included in any trade this year, we’ll be prohibited from dealing that ‘30 1st in any trades moving forward, with the only option being that it could be a pick swap instead.

Also with nearly 30m+ in cap space projected for best summer, looks like Dray is an early entry for targets that could occupy that space.

Quote:
When discussing the reasoning behind Draymond Green’s desire to play for various teams, the executive noted that the Warriors star would love to play with Luka Doncic. “He has always thought about playing for Detroit, helping his hometown of Flint at the same time. He would love to play with a superstar like Luka where he has to just play off him,” the executive said. “And he is Klutch. you know he loves being on the barbershop show with LeBron James. He wants to have an entertainment career when he is done playing. You don’t need to be in L.A. for that, but it helps.” – via Jack Simone @ Heavy.com

Not that I assumed otherwise, but it is obvious that the lakers will rather be in the lottery than give up both picks so F off Indiana. With that said, the offer is probably open but closing fast (1FRP for Myles and Buddy). Frankly, at this point I wouldn't even do that trade. We'd be adding another Center (we have 2) and we'd be just swapping guards.

Do we really need:

Nunn - needs minutes
Bev - needs minutes
Buddy - needs minutes
Schroder - needs minutes
Reavers - needs minutes
Walker - needs minutes

Brilliant roster construction Rob.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 436, 437, 438 ... 2625, 2626, 2627  Next
Page 437 of 2627
Jump to: