Most Infamous "Failed" Deals, Dumb Trades or Bad Moves
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nomoreshaq
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 8:49 pm    Post subject: Most Infamous "Failed" Deals, Dumb Trades or Bad Moves

From memory...

CP3 Veto
KG being sent to Boston instead of LA
Kawhi going to the Clippers
PG13 being traded to OKC
Marcus Banks/Gary Payton fiasco
Trading Zubac for trash
Choosing THT over Caruso
JUST-MING
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2022 2:38 am    Post subject:

Marcus Banks is legendary. Got rid of Derek Fisher, finally got a defensive point guard, until we didn't. Instead we got Chucky Atkins in exchange for a first round pick, which was used to draft Rajon Rondo.

I'd add Ho Grant for a first round pick. Gilbert Arenas

I'd add Steve Nash for multiple first round picks.

I'd add Dennis Schroder for a first round pick. Desmond Bane
GOODRICH25
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2022 4:08 am    Post subject: Re: Most Infamous "Failed" Deals, Dumb Trades or Bad Moves

nomoreshaq wrote:
From memory...

CP3 Veto
KG being sent to Boston instead of LA
Kawhi going to the Clippers
PG13 being traded to OKC
Marcus Banks/Gary Payton fiasco
Trading Zubac for trash
Choosing THT over Caruso

KG and CP3 still suck today. Kobe could have had 7 rings

17 99 19 22 44 13 25 Mic.
52 33 32 42 34 8 24 16 23 3
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2022 4:54 am    Post subject:

Dumb trades? I think we are living through the consequences of one of the worst trades in Lakers history right now.
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2022 5:15 am    Post subject:

Shaq for peanuts
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2022 5:19 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
Shaq for peanuts

I mean, I doubt we would have done him poorly and traded him to a bottom dweller team. He wanted to go to Miami, so I think we got a pretty good return for him, all things considered (when you trade an all time great like him, it's hard to win that trade).

Lakers ended up with two really nice young wing players in Caron and Lamar, and a then-steady Brian Grant. The 2006 1st rounder ended up being Farmar, who was a productive role player for the Lakers.
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2022 5:40 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
governator wrote:
Shaq for peanuts

I mean, I doubt we would have done him poorly and traded him to a bottom dweller team. He wanted to go to Miami, so I think we got a pretty good return for him, all things considered (when you trade an all time great like him, it's hard to win that trade).

Lakers ended up with two really nice young wing players in Caron and Lamar, and a then-steady Brian Grant. The 2006 1st rounder ended up being Farmar, who was a productive role player for the Lakers.

prime Shaq 2 yrs removed from MVP/finals MVP shoulda at least netted prospect DWade
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2022 5:51 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
governator wrote:
Shaq for peanuts

prime Shaq 2 yrs removed from MVP/finals MVP shoulda at least netted prospect DWade

Obviously Riley realized he had a star in Wade so that was a non-starter. It would have defeated the purpose for Shaq to join a Heat team that was completely stripped of all its best players.
roger_federer
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2022 6:26 am    Post subject:

Brick
ksmgf
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2022 6:57 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
Shaq for peanuts

I can't believe we only got a 1st pick for Shaq while Gobert got 4 picks. Danny Ainge>>>>Mitch.
Batguano
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2022 7:32 am    Post subject:

- Not trading Bynum for Jason Kidd in 2007

- Not trading Bynum for Chris Bosh in 2010

- Not trading Bynum for Carmelo Anthony in 2011

Since the Dwight Howard experiment was a failure in hindsight and the CP3 deal got vetoed, any one of these trades would've given the Kobe-era Lakers enough juice to win 1-2 more championships and would've saved Kobe's legs towards the end of his career (especially the Melo trade)

Not to mention the potential butterfly effect of the 2011 Mavs (who beat us) not having JKidd, the Heatles never forming (or having to settle with a "lesser" version with Boozer or Joe Johnson instead of Bosh) and Kobe not tearing his achilles from having to carry so much of the burden.
LakesGnrLake
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2022 8:10 am    Post subject:

Funny looking back on those late 2010 trades. The shift was slowly happening towards guards and wings. The Lakers were stuck in their "history of great bigs" and wanted to get/keep that shiny big(Dwight/Bynum). Bynum was able to hold his own while on the Lakers, but trading for Melo would have been a huge risk/reward knowing what we know now, but I think it would have worked. The worst trade was choosing Dwight over CP3. That was a franchise altering move.
Batguano
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2022 8:16 am    Post subject:

LakesGnrLake wrote:
Funny looking back on those late 2010 trades. The shift was slowly happening towards guards and wings. The Lakers were stuck in their "history of great bigs" and wanted to get/keep that shiny big(Dwight/Bynum). Bynum was able to hold his own while on the Lakers, but trading for Melo would have been a huge risk/reward knowing what we know now, but I think it would have worked. The worst trade was choosing Dwight over CP3. That was a franchise altering move.

Nobody chose Dwight over CP3. Those were two separate trades. CP3 cost us Gasol/Odom until it was vetoed. Then we still had Bynum who we would've presumably flipped for Dwight Howard still. That would've given us a Big 3 of Kobe, CP3, Dwight. It's not one or the other, they were gunning for both. Which is a big reason why the CP3 trade got vetoed. Opposing owners saw the writing on the wall.
GOODRICH25
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2022 8:16 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
governator wrote:
Shaq for peanuts

Or more first rounders atleast

LakesGnrLake
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2022 8:24 am    Post subject:

Batguano wrote:
LakesGnrLake wrote:

Nobody chose Dwight over CP3. Those were two separate trades. CP3 cost us Gasol/Odom until it was vetoed. Then we still had Bynum who we would've presumably flipped for Dwight Howard still. That would've given us a Big 3 of Kobe, CP3, Dwight. It's not one or the other, they were gunning for both. Which is a big reason why the CP3 trade got vetoed. Opposing owners saw the writing on the wall.

The Hornets/Pelicans wanted more picks to push the deal through(which we were saving for Dwight). There's a bit of truth in both. Just a couple weeks before the trade went down an article came out saying Lakers were trying to get both and everyone said impossible. Once they tried to alter the trade to include more picks the Lakers were essentially put in a "this or that scenario". Both trades were ready, one team backed out and they had to choose to buff up the offer and lose out on Dwight.
Batguano
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2022 8:27 am    Post subject:

LakesGnrLake wrote:
Batguano wrote:
LakesGnrLake wrote:

The Hornets/Pelicans wanted more picks to push the deal through(which we were saving for Dwight). There's a bit of truth in both. Just a couple weeks before the trade went down an article came out saying Lakers were trying to get both and everyone said impossible. Once they tried to alter the trade to include more picks the Lakers were essentially put in a "this or that scenario". Both trades were ready, one team backed out and they had to choose to buff up the offer and lose out on Dwight.

I see. You're right. I also believe including Bynum in the deal instead of Gasol/Odom would've been a more palatable deal for the league. Or at least I remember Stern or someone else suggesting that later on when pressed on the situation.
joeblow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2022 8:41 am    Post subject:

Trading for Westbrook is the all-time worst Laker decision for me.

Another random decision I was not pleased (by Magic running the show at the time) was letting Brook Lopez go for nothing. He went on to be an amazing role player for the Bucks (paint defense and three point shot maker) that helped them win a chip.
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2022 10:16 am    Post subject:

Not quite a failed deal/trade since it likely was never on the table, but Jack Haley "reporting" that the Lakers were trading Butler, Divac, and George to Utah for Carlos Boozer (in)famously blew up in his face
nomoreshaq
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2022 10:16 am    Post subject:

The Nash and Howard trades look really bad but hey at least we swung for the fences?

The Ramon Sessions trade ended up sucking as well lol
Batguano
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2022 10:18 am    Post subject:

nomoreshaq wrote:
The Nash and Howard trades look really bad but hey at least we swung for the fences?

Agreed. And I feel the same way about the Westbrook trade regardless of results.
GOODRICH25
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2022 2:31 pm    Post subject:

Batguano wrote:
LakesGnrLake wrote:
Batguano wrote:
LakesGnrLake wrote:

I see. You're right. I also believe including Bynum in the deal instead of Gasol/Odom would've been a more palatable deal for the league. Or at least I remember Stern or someone else suggesting that later on when pressed on the situation.

In hindsight, Paul, Bryant, Gasol would have been better maybe than if they got both Howard and Paul.

GOODRICH25
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2022 2:32 pm    Post subject:

joeblow wrote:
Trading for Westbrook is the all-time worst Laker decision for me.

Another random decision I was not pleased (by Magic running the show at the time) was letting Brook Lopez go for nothing. He went on to be an amazing role player for the Bucks (paint defense and three point shot maker) that helped them win a chip.

And he wanted to come back at a minimum iirc?

LakesGnrLake
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 7:51 am    Post subject:

nomoreshaq wrote:

Those first few weeks with Sessions were legendary tho
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 8:05 am    Post subject:

LakesGnrLake wrote:
nomoreshaq wrote:

Forgot which announcer, ramon had a breakaway dunk and he just kept saying we never had this with Fish lol, session hype was real
LakesGnrLake
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 10:43 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
LakesGnrLake wrote:
nomoreshaq wrote:

Forgot which announcer, ramon had a breakaway dunk and he just kept saying we never had this with Fish lol, session hype was real

Did teams just figure him out? Can't remember what happened.

Ramon First Game

Ramon First Start
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: