why is weynen gabriel on our team?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nomoreshaq
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2022 8:55 pm    Post subject: why is weynen gabriel on our team?

the way i have the roster sorted is like this:

centers:
bryant, jones - we are probably set here and i think it's at least solid if everyone is healthy. defensive center and stretch 5.

forwards:
lebron, ad, johnson, jta, brown, gabriel - obviously we are top heavy with 2 ALL-NBA players as forwards. we signed JTA and brown and are keeping johnson. JTA and Johnson, i think are going to be our primary wing defenders. as for troy brown i have no idea. i guess a 3&D project?

guards:
russ, tht, walker, reaves, nunn, christie - well, we got almost zero defenders and zero shooters here. the only one i like here is reaves. lmao. that aside....

where does gabriel fit on our team? we've got 2 of the best there. we've got 2 wing defenders. we've got brown who is kind of like our project. do we really need gabriel when we probably need a shooter here?
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2022 9:01 pm    Post subject: Re: why is weynen gabriel on our team?

nomoreshaq wrote:

centers:
bryant, jones - we are probably set here and i think it's at least solid if everyone is healthy. defensive center and stretch 5.

forwards:
lebron, ad, johnson, jta, brown, gabriel - obviously we are top heavy with 2 ALL-NBA players as forwards. we signed JTA and brown and are keeping johnson. JTA and Johnson, i think are going to be our primary wing defenders. as for troy brown i have no idea. i guess a 3&D project?

guards:
russ, tht, walker, reaves, nunn, christie - well, we got almost zero defenders and zero shooters here. the only one i like here is reaves. lmao. that aside....

where does gabriel fit on our team? we've got 2 of the best there. we've got 2 wing defenders. we've got brown who is kind of like our project. do we really need gabriel when we probably need a shooter here?

I don't know that Gabriel is any less deserving of a slot than Johnson, Brown, and JTA.

They're all just minimum wage journeyman fighting for minutes.

All of them have deep flaws -- if they didn't, they wouldn't be minimum wage guys.

But that also seems to be Rob's approach: He doesn't seem to think in terms of team construction; he just gets a bunch of guys and throws them in a scum, and we'll see who comes out of it.

Last edited by activeverb on Thu Jul 14, 2022 9:08 pm; edited 2 times in total
MookieBetts50
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2022 9:01 pm    Post subject:

Because AD/Bron are both injury prone and Gabriel's a cheap athletic forward that can spot start?
Hero Ball
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2022 9:26 pm    Post subject:

here I am thinking it was a rhetorical question.
gng930
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2022 10:58 pm    Post subject: Re: why is weynen gabriel on our team?

activeverb wrote:
nomoreshaq wrote:

centers:

forwards:

guards:

I don't know that Gabriel is any less deserving of a slot than Johnson, Brown, and JTA.

They're all just minimum wage journeyman fighting for minutes.

All of them have deep flaws -- if they didn't, they wouldn't be minimum wage guys.

But that also seems to be Rob's approach: He doesn't seem to think in terms of team construction; he just gets a bunch of guys and throws them in a scum, and we'll see who comes out of it.

A little harsh no?
gng930
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2022 11:01 pm    Post subject:

You will probably see Wenyen at center at times, considering our other small ball options (Lebron, AD) are either injured often (Lebron, AD) or only 6-6 (Stan).
hydrohead
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2022 2:28 am    Post subject:

Wenyen is an aggregate-able non-guaranteed salary in a deal. A team can take on Wenyen in a deal to balance out the salaries and then just cut him.
This may give him value over more desirable minimum.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2022 4:41 am    Post subject:

For a non-guaranteed min, he's a solid add. He gives size at the 4/3 hybrid position. Plus you can throw him in any trade and the receiving team could cut him to save more money (especially if they're a tax payer team).
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2022 6:26 am    Post subject:

hydrohead wrote:
Wenyen is an aggregate-able non-guaranteed salary in a deal. A team can take on Wenyen in a deal to balance out the salaries and then just cut him.
This may give him value over more desirable minimum.

If he survived til last day of his non guarantee without traded, would u guys keep him or bring n Swider/huff, assuming FO keeping a spot open for a Conley type buyout?
JUST-MING
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2022 6:28 am    Post subject:

Depth

He can help the team even as a practice squad player.
scout_0
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2022 7:42 am    Post subject:

Because he is a long SF/PF who can guard multiple positions and has shown potential to hit the 3pt ball?

Guys like that is what we need more of...
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2022 8:47 am    Post subject:

He was very productive when he got the starting role, and we all know with our injury luck we are gonna need extra insurance.
lakersfan32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2022 9:37 am    Post subject:

so the fans can fantasize about trading him for star players
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2022 7:15 am    Post subject:

gng930 wrote:
You will probably see Wenyen at center at times, considering our other small ball options (Lebron, AD) are either injured often (Lebron, AD) or only 6-6 (Stan).

Small ball is for teams with players that can move quickly and hit from out side; which we are not.

I think Gabriel is a hustle guy & many teams have guys like that off the bench (12, 13, 14 or 15). He's cheap, I don't see a problem there.
nomoreshaq
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2022 7:36 am    Post subject:

here's my question though, he seems like a project and we already have one (i think) in troy brown jr and arguably stanley johnson. that's 3 minimum level players that may not contribute too much. the only forward outside of AD and LeBron that have seen any burn is JTA. i don't have a problem w/ gabriel, he just seems like an unnecessary piece for this roster. we are "stuck" with JTA and Troy Brown. i think it is stanley johnson>gabriel at this point.

i guess if there's no one else out there he is fine to keep though, just a little surprised. if it were me, i'd think about dumping him and adding a veteran who can shoot (i.e., melo).
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2022 7:43 am    Post subject:

I guess lakers want his early bird rights if he pans out? 🤷
lakurluv
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2022 8:04 am    Post subject:

Read the OP question and just laughed...
joeblow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2022 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: why is weynen gabriel on our team?

nomoreshaq wrote:
forwards:

Your blind spot comes from the fact that you look at positions without considering the size of the players occupying them. For back-up forwards, we have:

Johnson... 6'6"
Tuscano-Anderson... 6'6"
Brown... 6'6"

You know who else was 6'6"? The two all-time best shooting guards, Kobe and Jordan. Traditionally, small forwards start at 6'7", and power forwards start at 6'9". Wenyen Gabriel is a solidly built 6'8"! How about appreciating that as a benefit off the bench which no other role playing Laker forward offers?

It's really bizarre and somewhat disheartening for me to see how many Laker fans to this day still clamor to trade for two or three MORE guards (i.e. Conley + Beverly + Clarkson, or Irving + Seth + J. Harris) and ignore the fact that there were many games where we got destroyed on defense and in rebounding last season in part because we were sooooooo small. With the three back-up "forwards" other than Gabriel, we have nine Lakers who are 6'6" or less... the traditional size of guards.

How about focusing on big wing defenders this year a little more? How about acquiring/keeping players of legit size on the roster that can contribute to rebounding? Can some of you stop solely looking on the offensive side of the floor and remember that our 2020 championship came somewhat easily because we were bigger than the opponents? Please?
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2022 8:57 am    Post subject: Re: why is weynen gabriel on our team?

joeblow wrote:
nomoreshaq wrote:
forwards:

Your blind spot comes from the fact that you look at positions without considering the size of the players occupying them. For back-up forwards, we have:

Johnson... 6'6"
Tuscano-Anderson... 6'6"
Brown... 6'6"

You know who else was 6'6"? The two all-time best shooting guards, Kobe and Jordan. Traditionally, small forwards start at 6'7", and power forwards start at 6'9". Wenyen Gabriel is a solidly built 6'8"! How about appreciating that as a benefit off the bench which no other role playing Laker forward offers?

It's really bizarre and somewhat disheartening for me to see how many Laker fans to this day still clamor to trade for two or three MORE guards (i.e. Conley + Beverly + Clarkson, or Irving + Seth + J. Harris) and ignore the fact that there were many games where we got destroyed on defense and in rebounding last season in part because we were sooooooo small. With the three back-up "forwards" other than Gabriel, we have nine Lakers who are 6'6" or less... the traditional size of guards.

How about focusing on big wing defenders this year a little more? How about acquiring/keeping players of legit size on the roster that can contribute to rebounding? Can some of you stop solely looking on the offensive side of the floor and remember that our 2020 championship came somewhat easily because we were bigger than the opponents? Please?

Well said !
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2022 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: why is weynen gabriel on our team?

deal wrote:
joeblow wrote:
nomoreshaq wrote:
forwards:

Johnson... 6'6"
Tuscano-Anderson... 6'6"
Brown... 6'6"

Well said !
Hanging from Rafters
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2022 4:09 pm    Post subject: Re: why is weynen gabriel on our team?

pio2u wrote:
deal wrote:
joeblow wrote:
nomoreshaq wrote:
forwards:

Johnson... 6'6"
Tuscano-Anderson... 6'6"
Brown... 6'6"

Well said !

Glad I read the thread before posting lol! When I saw the question I was gonna respond almost exactly as you did! Instead of repeating tho I’ll just add another..,,
Well said, need his 6’9”ness defense that’s why. Already have three 6’6”ness.
RashardA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2022 4:39 pm    Post subject:

Because this front office is horrible.
JUST-MING
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 8:22 pm    Post subject:

He never stops moving.
Kb24goldenChild
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 8:48 pm    Post subject:

JUST-MING wrote:
He never stops moving.

He was the best big tonight over Jones and Thomas
J.C. Smith
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 9:05 pm    Post subject:

His shot blocking tonight was impressive. He was moving his feet and chasing down blocks.

His energy overall was good.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: