Fish Pond Construction help and ideas

View previous topic :: View next topic  
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2022 10:59 am    Post subject: Fish Pond Construction help and ideas

I want to build a small fish pond in the backyard. I'm stuck on choosing between liner vs. concrete. Any ideas? What's the pros and cons? I'm thinking liner won't last due to problems with punctures over the years? But then I don't want the concrete to be cracking after a couple years either.

The pond won't be too big. Maybe 6 x 6 ft and 2 ft deep? And it's going to be an L shape, so not even the full 6 x 6 if that makes sense. I'll also be adding a waterfall.

Any ideas will be greatly appreciated, thanks.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2022 11:08 am    Post subject:

I had concrete in my backyard pond. Be sure the design can be covered. Cats in my neighborhood were a problem. They got to the fish. I had a waterfall in mine.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2022 11:17 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
I had concrete in my backyard pond. Be sure the design can be covered. Cats in my neighborhood were a problem. They got to the fish. I had a waterfall in mine.

Nice, did you do it yourself? No problems with leaks and cracks?
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2022 12:53 pm    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
jodeke wrote:

It came with the house. No cracks or leaks. The waterfall was like the filter in a fish tank. My daughter lives in the house now. She removed the pond.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2022 4:11 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
jodeke wrote:

It came with the house. No cracks or leaks. The waterfall was like the filter in a fish tank. My daughter lives in the house now. She removed the pond.

oh ok
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2022 8:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Fish Pond Construction help and ideas

LongBeachPoly wrote:
I want to build a small fish pond in the backyard. I'm stuck on choosing between liner vs. concrete. Any ideas? What's the pros and cons? I'm thinking liner won't last due to problems with punctures over the years? But then I don't want the concrete to be cracking after a couple years either.

The pond won't be too big. Maybe 6 x 6 ft and 2 ft deep? And it's going to be an L shape, so not even the full 6 x 6 if that makes sense. I'll also be adding a waterfall.

A liner is for sure the best way to go if you are going DIY. You can make a cool, natural looking pond for a fraction of the price and hassle of attempting to pour concrete only to see it crack after the ground settles under the weight of the pond.

Liners are super tough and will almost always roll with the punches. We have dual level pond that has been going leak free with the original liner for over 20 years, and that's even with dogs frequently jumping in and wading around.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2022 9:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Fish Pond Construction help and ideas

DaMuleRules wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:

A liner is for sure the best way to go if you are going DIY. You can make a cool, natural looking pond for a fraction of the price and hassle of attempting to pour concrete only to see it crack after the ground settles under the weight of the pond.

Liners are super tough and will almost always roll with the punches. We have dual level pond that has been going leak free with the original liner for over 20 years, and that's even with dogs frequently jumping in and wading around.

Thx buddy
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2022 9:09 pm    Post subject:

There are Pond 101 vids on YT. Remember seeing one or ten. I recall seeing all the layers they recommend if yer going liner.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: