Grading (2022-2023) Free Agency and Draft
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jordan-esque
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2022 9:38 pm    Post subject: Grading (2022-2023) Free Agency and Draft

What letter grade would you give each of these 8 players?

Quote:
Free Agents:
A. Damon Jones
B. Lonnie Walker IV
C. Troy Brown Jr.
D. Juan Toscano Anderson
E. Thomas Bryant

Draft:
1. Max Christie

Two-Way:
G. Cole Swider
H. Scottie Pippen Jr.

Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2022 9:44 pm    Post subject:

Who cares about the side dishes if the turkey is ruined?
Nash Vegas
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2022 9:52 pm    Post subject:

DJ and TB = B
Brown, JTA = C
Walker = D

Christie = C
Swider, SPJ = B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2022 10:33 pm    Post subject:

Damon Jones
Lonnie Walker IV
Troy Brown Jr.
Juan Toscano Anderson
Thomas Bryant

4 min vet and 1 TpMLE
Incomplete
💜💛 🏆 👀 🍖 #18!!!

Last edited by epic_ on Tue Jul 05, 2022 11:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2022 10:55 pm    Post subject:

Our Roster after Free Agency Thus far

Starters:
Russell Westbrook
Austin Reaves
LeBron James
Anthony Davis
Thomas Bryant

Bench:
Kendrick Nunn / Scottie Pippen Jr (two-way)
Lonnie Walker IV / Juan Toscano-Anderson
Talen Horton-Tucker / Max Christie
Troy Brown Jr. / Cole Swider
Damian Jones / Jay Huff (two-way)
cal1piggy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2022 11:11 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:

Starters:
Russell Westbrook
Austin Reaves
LeBron James
Anthony Davis
Thomas Bryant

Bench:

Starters:
Kendrick Nunn (hopefully Kyrie Irving)
Austin Reaves
LeBron James
Anthony Davis
Thomas Bryant

Bench:
Scottie Pippen Jr (two-way)
Damian Jones / Jay Huff (two-way)[/quote]

Garbage
Russell Westbrook
Hero Ball
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2022 11:32 pm    Post subject:

B-

Lonnie Walker and JTA will be electric.

Troy Brown is a swiss army knife with length.

If healthy Bryant is also gonna be energetic off the bench.

Find someone to take Westbrook so we can finish grading this off season.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2022 11:34 pm    Post subject:

cal1piggy wrote:
MJST wrote:

Starters:
Russell Westbrook
Austin Reaves
LeBron James
Anthony Davis
Thomas Bryant

Bench:

Starters:
Kendrick Nunn (hopefully Kyrie Irving)
Austin Reaves
LeBron James
Anthony Davis
Thomas Bryant

Bench:
Scottie Pippen Jr (two-way)

Garbage
Russell Westbrook[/quote]

My guess is, as of now, AD, Lebron and Westbrook will start.

They'll be a lot of competition for the other two slots.

Walker probably has the edge for SG, but Reaves and THT will be in the mix.

Bryant and Jones will compete for the center spot.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2022 11:43 pm    Post subject:

The only giant blemish is Walker IMO. I'd rather have given that to Warren and hoped for the best. Jones, Bryant, Brown, and JTA I like in a vacuum. IMO we're a bit too young now.

If we go into the season though with this current roster, it's a D-. No big wings. No shooting added. Undersized and under skilled guards. No 2nd shot creator. Sure we got younger but that'd be the only positive.

Getting Kyrie for Russ all of a sudden makes a signing like Walker make a ton more sense.
alleyoop
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2022 12:52 am    Post subject:

TBA until we see if the Kyrie trade happens
#18 next...
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2022 3:57 am    Post subject:

tpMLE - D

Vet mins:
Borderline starter aka Bryant - A
Emergency starter aka Jones - B
Rest of 2nd unit - also B
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2022 4:17 am    Post subject:

I like it. It's not ideal but at least we didn't repeat last year's mistakes (filling the roster with washed up, geriatric farts). We still need some wings and 3 point shooting, but let's see how the season goes.

Add a bona fide 3&D guy to this roster and we are a legit championship contender IMHO. LeBron and AD are still great.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2022 5:02 am    Post subject:

Free Agents:
A. Damon Jones: A. Thought he would get offers in the 4-5m range.

B. Lonnie Walker IV: B-. Would have preferred someone like Bruce Brown. He offers athleticism and slashing, but again, we are at a shooting deficit.

C. Troy Brown Jr.: B. At the minimum, looks like a player who can be plugged into 12-14 mpg and not be a total liability.

D. Juan Toscano Anderson: B. At the minimum, we get a guy who will play hard, push our players in practice, and now has a ring for credibility purposes. Will be beloved by our fans, and I'm hoping he can be a sparkplug defensively speaking. We've missed that since AC was traded.

E. Thomas Bryant: If healthy, this is a A- signing. Gives us a big who can space the floor.

Draft:
1. Max Christie: B+. I've seen enough defensively that I believe he can be our best perimeter defender by next season with some strength. His offense has a ways to go, but he has the "D" part in 3/D already there.

Two-Way:
G. Cole Swider: A. Best 3 point shooter in the draft class IMO. However, can he defend NBA level players? Can he get his shot off against same?

H. Scottie Pippen Jr.: B. Still feel his size will be an issue against NBA talent.
chrisca91
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2022 6:07 am    Post subject:

F-. Trash team, sub 30 wins.
markjay
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2022 6:21 am    Post subject:

I think it is impossible to evaluate these players in a vacuum. I have to believe the Lakers are pretty confident they are signing at least 1-2 more 3-point snipers (e.g., Kyrie, Seth, Harris, Hield), which is why they focused in other directions in their signings to date. I think the Lakers may end up with the best starting lineup in the league (e.g., Kryie, Harris, LeBron, AD, Bryant) and a bench that is not great but not too pathetic (e.g, Nunn, Reaves, Johnson, Swider, Jones).
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2022 6:33 am    Post subject:

MJST wrote:

Starters:
Russell Westbrook
Austin Reaves
LeBron James
Anthony Davis
Thomas Bryant

Bench:

Aren’t Johnson and Gabriel on the team?

Overall the team is more athletic and “should” play with more intensity. That is a good thing to have that depth that was non existent last season.

Skill wise there are some flaws. Much will depend on a return on the WB trade. Same as the commitment and health from Davis and James. Team is top heavy by design.

IMO the grading relies on expectations. If these minimum contract and young players can play as depth role players with minimal expectations the grades go up. If they are relied on play big mins and take on big responsibilities then the grades go down. I have no issues with them if they are allowed to be role players. I like the additions in fact.

Lakers need the Big Three to play like the Big Three. Season depends on it.
DLaker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 4:55 am    Post subject:

I will give all the signing no lower than a B. We don’t need any more vets in this team. Last year only vet that has the legs is AB. During our championship year, we have youthful legs willing to work there ass and provide energy - KCP, AC, Kuz, AB, McGee and even D12 has youthful legs back then.

Our off season signing, youthful, willing to work, and something to prove.

LW - 23 yrs old, 18th pick, 208 NBA games (56 starts), 20 min/GM avg, shot 36% second half of the season from 3. Have increase his pts avg every year
From 3, 6, 11, 12 pts

TB - 22 yrs old, 15th pick, 221 NBA games (39 starts), 18 min/GM avg, shot 43% second half of the season from 3. I like the his upside seem like he can become a 3 and D player.

JTA - 29 yrs old, 129 NBA games (28 starts) (14 playoff), 17 min/GM avg, pure energy on the court. Can guard 1-5 if needed. NBA champion

DJ - 27 yrs old, 30th pick, 199 NBA games (74 starts), 15 min/GM avg, shot
34% from 3 last year low volume but capable. Needed more for his size as lob threat and def presence ala McGee and D12. 2x NBA champion

TB - 24 yrs old, 170 NBA games (108 starts), 20 min/GM avg, shot 35% career from 3. Has improved his pts every year until he got injured. Stretch big we need in the team ala Mark Gasol.

This are great pick up by our front office, IMO. Should improve our def just by energy alone, no more tired legs. We need those workers around LBJ and AD.
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 5:04 am    Post subject:

All scrubs that we hope become better, but nothing much could be done with no cap.

Last edited by defense on Thu Jul 07, 2022 5:44 am; edited 1 time in total
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 5:11 am    Post subject:

Nash Vegas wrote:
DJ and TB = B
Brown, JTA = C
Walker = D

Christie = C
Swider, SPJ = B

That looks about right.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 5:19 am    Post subject:

Four Decade Bandwagon wrote:
Overall the team is more athletic and “should” play with more intensity. That is a good thing to have that depth that was non existent last season.

Depth? Okay, the scrubs are younger and somewhat more athletic than last year's scrubs, but they're still scrubs. There is not a single player on that list (plus Johnson and Gabriel) who would play significant minutes for a good team. There are a couple of them who may start for us.

I suppose I say this every year, but what the heck. There is a difference between width and depth. Our bench is wide, in that we have a lot of guys who can play a little bit. Our bench is not deep at all. Basically, once we get past the big three and Nunn, we have a bunch of guys in the "Maybe we can get something from him" category.
DLaker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 5:44 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:

Depth? Okay, the scrubs are younger and somewhat more athletic than last year's scrubs, but they're still scrubs. There is not a single player on that list (plus Johnson and Gabriel) who would play significant minutes for a good team. There are a couple of them who may start for us.

I suppose I say this every year, but what the heck. There is a difference between width and depth. Our bench is wide, in that we have a lot of guys who can play a little bit. Our bench is not deep at all. Basically, once we get past the big three and Nunn, we have a bunch of guys in the "Maybe we can get something from him" category.

Don’t consider inexperienced, unpolished youth scrubs. Young players like LW and TB can become solid players like AC, Monk, Kuz once everything falls in place. Scrubs to me are players who peaked and in the down trend of there careers like Baze, Ariza, D12, DJ …
Bron2AD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 5:45 am    Post subject:

Nash Vegas wrote:
DJ and TB = B
Brown, JTA = C
Walker = D

Christie = C
Swider, SPJ = B

😂 this is comedy. You saw how other decent players got?
Martin twins got multi year contracts, heck Jalen smith got 15/3 years
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 5:55 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:

Fair assessment. I agree they are unproven or role players. Active support role types over being established starters. As you stated, a couple will be forced to be starters or impact players instead of the “nice bench guy” they all currently are. I agree that asking them to be top 7 in the rotation is an issue. But if they were 8-17 in the rotation I would be much happier with my expectations.

Pretty much as I stated. That is by design and by necessity due to minimal assets to sign anyone a tier above.

If we really want to be fair we can easily say the Big 3 on the Lakers are not fulfilling Big 3 expectations and the support role players are forced to be “more” then they should be expected to be because of it. Maybe we should be grading our Big 3 with the same critical eye as we are our role players.

Would be nice to see that change by the end of the season.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 6:13 am    Post subject:

Quote:

That's the thing. They added some more athleticism and younger legs, and that should help them cease those slow nights. A lot of long road trips, tired legs in the RS. This kind of team should be able to give a better effort on a nightly basis. But talent is talent. We're still heavily reliant on a big 3, and the big 3 playing 60 games together, to make the playoffs. I think we can make the playoffs, and we would have last year as well had the big 3 played 60 games together.

What Pelinka is doing is going all in on one way of doing things. Last year he went all in for the big names and vet min signings. This year all younger unproven players/aka scrubs. Something in between probably made most sense. A few vets and a few younger players/projects. We went all in on the declining/washed vets last year, and this year all in for guys who have no name appeal but may not even be worthy of playing minutes on a good team.

Mainly what we're missing is a big that can anchor the defense and space the floor. Bryant can space (based on pre injury shooting) but he's got questionable rim protection/defense according to scouting reports on him. Jones can rim protect and play above the rim, but he can't space. Our wings are all either shooting or man defense liabilities. No 2-way guys. So basically the team will be heavily leaning on AD, Bron and WB/Kyrie playing like stars, staying healthy. And if they can stay healthy for 60-70 games, they can get a playoff spot, IMO.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 6:27 am    Post subject:

I read that Ham may try to tap into Jones's newfound 3 point shooting (around 34-35% at season's end) and help him be a stretch big too (who can finish better than TB on P&Rs).

Again, to me, this season hinges on LBJ/AD's health, and whether we can trade Russ.

If we can't trade Russ, we just have too many ill fitting parts and no trade flexibility.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: