Jeannie Buss throws SHADE at...Lebron? Klutch Sports?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nash Vegas
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2022 5:18 pm    Post subject:

Dan Gilbert esque tweet. Jeanie lives in the past. Comparing our current star to Kobe helps no one. Bye LeBron! Jeanie’s literally pulling another Dan Gilbert driving star players away.
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2022 5:50 pm    Post subject:

I know Bron and Klutch are portrayed as this all powerful group (and they may very well be), but it just doesn't feel right for the owner of a team to be affected to such a degree emotionally by another player/agency.
vasashi17+
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2022 6:05 pm    Post subject:

For those wondering if this is some kind of leverage ploy by Klutch, Bron’s extension talks can lead to a new deal in August and CANNOT include a no-trade clause (NTC).

However, if dude plays out his current deal, he can re-up for up to 47.6m on a new deal with a projected max 10% annual raise to a 136m salary cap (ie right now cap’s projecting to be raised by 7.6% to 133m for 2023/24).

If Bron does ink a new deal next summer instead of re-upping on an extension this August, dude can include a NTC within his deal. If he does give Jeanie a discount, I’m sure he’ll demand a NTC be included in his new deal. Bron at a lower price point is a lot more tradeable, but dude could block any deal with that NTC.

There are levels to this leverage game. How will Klutch level up?

And yes, I believe Jeanie was out of pocket for making that comment.
Keep them thoughts in-house, home girl….damn.
Drifts
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2022 6:23 pm    Post subject:

Lonzo-Lite wrote:
Jordan-esque wrote:
McMenamin: “Jeanie’s tweet is not helping business get done at a high level”.

https://spoti.fi/3bI09qi

There’s a recap of it on Reddit:

Quote:
McMenamin and Windhorst criticizing Jeanie’s tweet saying she should’ve kept it in house because being an owner for some years now, she knows her words are powerful.

That Jeanie’s tweet was “of course” about LeBron wanting the Lakers to trade for Kyrie, and Jeanie seemingly not happy about it.

McMenamin even said that Lakers has had a crisis in leadership which led to a player like LeBron, who has a clear vision of how to win, able to wield some influence in decision making. Even said that’s something Kobe would’ve also done if he was still around the Lakers especially now that one of his best friends, Pelinka, is the Lakers GM.

McMenamin ends with, “You better as a franchise maximize LeBron’s prime and try to add some banners and trophies. That’s what everyone in LA should be aligned with. If it’s cost prohibitive to do so, you have to think who you are as a franchise if you claim all you care about are titles. That’s not NBA in 2022 if you try to penny pinch and hoist Larry O’Brien trophies at the same time.”

sounds like McMenamin wants the Lakers to bend over to Lebron's every whim.

Exactly what Jeannie was alluding to with the tweet. These people are not really about the Lakers, they are just about Lebron.
"Now, if life is coffee, then the jobs, money & position in society are the cups. They are just tools to hold & contain life, but the quality of life doesn't change. Sometimes, by concentrating only on the cup, we fail to enjoy the coffee in it."
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2022 6:46 pm    Post subject:

Why is McMenamin referencing “ Lebron’s prime” as a contributing factor in any decision making?

The man is on the downside and falling fast. Any thoughts of him leading a team to a championship is unlikely or discussions of $40+m extensions are absurd.

Buss should not have made the comments. Same opinion as I have stated about some of James’ past social media comments.

But I’ll give her a pass for having to deal with this drama and just how f’d the Lakers are right now. They went all in. They won a perfect storm championship. They allowed the James leverage to influence their decisions, both good and bad. And now have a very costly failed WB experiment and some really bad options to get rid of it. It is frustrating.

Seems to be a valuable lesson in don’t drink and post crap.
kwase
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2022 6:58 pm    Post subject:

I really don't think this has anything to do with lebron/klutch. Jeannie can easily trade him anytime she wants, so venting on Twitter makes no sense. I think she just had a moment where she thought of Kobe and couldn't hold it in. Jeannie has got to know that most Laker fans won't miss lebron one bit once he's gone, so if she has issues with him then trade him for whatever we can get and let's move on to the next Laker era.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2022 7:07 pm    Post subject:

She should know better than to do stuff like this.

It is not a surprise that she doesn’t.
PenG_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2022 7:11 pm    Post subject:

Last edited by PenG_ on Wed Jul 06, 2022 7:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
BandwagonLBJhopper
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2022 7:13 pm    Post subject:

Jordan-esque wrote:
McMenamin: “Jeanie’s tweet is not helping business get done at a high level”.

https://spoti.fi/3bI09qi

Lebron has multiple mouth pieces in the media, Dave being one of them. Windhorst is another, he knows he made his career basically following Lebron around so will always get his back and defend Lebron and Klutch.
Drifts
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2022 7:42 pm    Post subject:

Nash Vegas wrote:
Dan Gilbert esque tweet. Jeanie lives in the past. Comparing our current star to Kobe helps no one. Bye LeBron! Jeanie’s literally pulling another Dan Gilbert driving star players away.

ummm... Lebron will probably own a piece of the Lakers in the future.. so not really goodbye.
"Now, if life is coffee, then the jobs, money & position in society are the cups. They are just tools to hold & contain life, but the quality of life doesn't change. Sometimes, by concentrating only on the cup, we fail to enjoy the coffee in it."
CamReddish
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2022 7:52 pm    Post subject:

Drifts wrote:
Nash Vegas wrote:

ummm... Lebron will probably own a piece of the Lakers in the future.. so not really goodbye.

No he won't. Lol. Not a majority piece
Drifts
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2022 8:03 pm    Post subject:

LBJ23 wrote:
Drifts wrote:
Nash Vegas wrote:

of course not majority. jeez, captain obvious.
CamReddish
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2022 8:09 pm    Post subject:

Drifts wrote:
LBJ23 wrote:
Drifts wrote:
Nash Vegas wrote:

So who is giving him their stake?
kfkilla
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2022 8:33 pm    Post subject:

The McMen stuff makes this ultra clear now. James wants the Lakers to take it up the behind and Jeanie clearly doesn’t like the deal. James is speaking through McMen calling the Lakers cheap and generally ridiculing them.

The Lakers are a hot mess. James and Klutch have clearly found a wounded beast and are leaching whatever they can. Kind of gross and parasitic. The Lakers keep paying clutch clients and it feels like it’s never enough. Feels like it’s getting a bit toxic if it wasn’t before.

We will see how this plays out but as amazing as Lebron is, he is almost too powerful to be worth it tbh. The Lakers work for Lebron at this point. They will take it up the behind and be ok with it because if they don’t he will fire them and slander them on the way out in horrible ways.
Drifts
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2022 8:34 pm    Post subject:

LBJ23 wrote:
Drifts wrote:
LBJ23 wrote:
Drifts wrote:
Nash Vegas wrote:

So who is giving him their stake?

I don't know. I'll give you a heads up when it hits the news.
PenG_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 4:15 am    Post subject:

kfkilla wrote:
The McMen stuff makes this ultra clear now. James wants the Lakers to take it up the behind and Jeanie clearly doesn’t like the deal. James is speaking through McMen calling the Lakers cheap and generally ridiculing them.

The Lakers are a hot mess. James and Klutch have clearly found a wounded beast and are leaching whatever they can. Kind of gross and parasitic. The Lakers keep paying clutch clients and it feels like it’s never enough. Feels like it’s getting a bit toxic if it wasn’t before.

We will see how this plays out but as amazing as Lebron is, he is almost too powerful to be worth it tbh. The Lakers work for Lebron at this point. They will take it up the behind and be ok with it because if they don’t he will fire them and slander them on the way out in horrible ways.

I listened to that last night. lol that was rough and completely lacking in subtelty. Sounded like McMen was reading directly from a statement written by Paul and LeBron.
DShotMaker1824
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 5:59 am    Post subject:

I am starting to think Jeanie wants to give LeBron one more year and then let him go if he wants to go. I think she is unfazed at a guy going into year 20 and wants an extension.

"Through the legs to the left, through the legs to the right, we don't run them Laker plays, we just Kobe fadeaway..."
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 6:23 am    Post subject:

DShotMaker1824 wrote:
I am starting to think Jeanie wants to give LeBron one more year and then let him go if he wants to go. I think she is unfazed at a guy going into year 20 and wants an extension.

If this is true, why waste the opportunity to get some long term assets by trading him now?

I understand there are politics involved. Trading him would look bad in the press. Especially as he passes the all time scoring record in another jersey.

But if they do not plan on giving him an extension. Or if they feel he is likely to expect a max extension or moving to another team anyways.

Either of those James decisions have major ramifications to Laker planning. That it seems like both parties are currently not talking and even playing some type of game of chicken to see who blinks first is troubling.

As it currently rests, nobody is winning this cluster**** of a situation. Not Buss, not James, not the team or the fans. I’m still hoping they can be adults and discuss this like professionals instead of focusing on the leverage and egos.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 6:25 am    Post subject:

DShotMaker1824 wrote:

What glorious plans does she have outside of Klutch/LBJ?

2023 FA class is a joke.

2024 FA class is bereft of top end talent.

Most of the top 2025 FA class like Tatum will likely be locked up.

She and Rob were rudderless prior to LBJ/Klutch joining. They were missing playoffs and they were soon due to pay for the YUTES on extensions without any taste of the playoffs.

Now we don't have premier FAs to look forward to in 2023-25, and we owe 2 picks to the Pels in that same period. What a mess that Jeanie/Rob have put on this Lakers franchise with the poor trades and negotiations they have made lately.
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 7:00 am    Post subject:

I would not agree Buss and Pelinka were “rudderless before James”. They had a plan that worked. They had a boatload of assets stacked up and FA salary to spend. It landed James. It traded for Davis. It won a championship.

They leveraged James’ interest in coming to Hollywood for business interests and the Laker popularity to add to his legacy. Seems like the plan worked to me.

And there were other marquee FAs interested in the Lakers. George, Butler, Leonard were options but signed elsewhere when James signed. Draw your own conclusions on why.

Arguably the “poor trades and negotiations” that have created this mess are directly tied to the all- in plan with James. Tough to play hard ball when everyone knows you are desperate to make a deal because “the clock is ticking” on your superstar.

From the beginning the FO knew that James was going to be involved. His influence and leverage as the star of a franchise is documented. Why would we expect any less with the Lakers? I’m guessing the FO was hoping for a few more of those “vets will sign for less to play with Lebron”. Didn’t exactly work out too well last year.

The tough part is this decline and mess was expected the day they signed James/ Klutch. FO and fans embraced the all in plan from the beginning. Knowing that at some point it was going to come time to pay the bill.

Time to pay the bill.

All that remains to be seen is how far do they continue down this plan and keep throwing away assets like a degenerate gambler chasing one more big payday. Or do they accept the run is over and start paying debts off and rebuilding. Some unpopular decisions are coming no matter what plan Buss and Pelinka choose.
DShotMaker1824
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 8:04 am    Post subject:

Well I have been saying that we should purge Klutch + Westbrook for months now and get some assets to reset, but at the moment I am just waiting to see what happens...

"Through the legs to the left, through the legs to the right, we don't run them Laker plays, we just Kobe fadeaway..."
Snipes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 8:34 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Halflife wrote:
PenG_ wrote:
Drifts wrote:
Kobe is just the best. Period.

most probably, Jeannie is fed up with the stans surrounding the Lakers, who are not really looking after the best interest of the team... they are just stans for Lebron.

With all due respect that describes a massive portion of Kobe's fanbase, or any all time great for that matter.

Kobe fans never had to follow him. There was never a reason to ever have to pick Kobe over team. Kobe was lakers, lakers are Kobe

And herein is the difference.

I am Lakers fan first over anything. I openly cheered against LBJ every year he was in the Finals. But once he donned purple and gold, he's on my favorite team, so of course I'll root for him.

Some folks here are Kobe fans over Lakers fans. That's their right and I respect that. But to say that all Lakers fans must choose Kobe over LBJ, that sounds insane to me. Kobe's last tweet on this earth was to LBJ, and he said that Lakers fans should embrace LBJ.

Are you respecting Kobe's wishes?

All laker fans SHOULD choose Kobe over Lebron. It’s not a debate. Now you want to go ahead and choose Magic or Kareem over Kobe that’s fine. Just because he said “embrace him” doesn’t mean we embrace him to the point of Kobe.

Now in terms of the Jeanie tweet: unprofessional. You wanted to get in bed with Klutch. It was never a good idea - lucked out with a bubble ring that’s as good as it gets. Time to pay the price.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 8:37 am    Post subject:

Drifts wrote:

ummm... Lebron will probably own a piece of the Lakers in the future.

seriously? I cant see that happening. I can see him owning a vegas team, sac, Phx, but the lakers?
Snipes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 8:38 am    Post subject:

Four Decade Bandwagon wrote:
I would not agree Buss and Pelinka were “rudderless before James”. They had a plan that worked. They had a boatload of assets stacked up and FA salary to spend. It landed James. It traded for Davis. It won a championship.

They leveraged James’ interest in coming to Hollywood for business interests and the Laker popularity to add to his legacy. Seems like the plan worked to me.

And there were other marquee FAs interested in the Lakers. George, Butler, Leonard were options but signed elsewhere when James signed. Draw your own conclusions on why.

Arguably the “poor trades and negotiations” that have created this mess are directly tied to the all- in plan with James. Tough to play hard ball when everyone knows you are desperate to make a deal because “the clock is ticking” on your superstar.

From the beginning the FO knew that James was going to be involved. His influence and leverage as the star of a franchise is documented. Why would we expect any less with the Lakers? I’m guessing the FO was hoping for a few more of those “vets will sign for less to play with Lebron”. Didn’t exactly work out too well last year.

The tough part is this decline and mess was expected the day they signed James/ Klutch. FO and fans embraced the all in plan from the beginning. Knowing that at some point it was going to come time to pay the bill.

Time to pay the bill.

All that remains to be seen is how far do they continue down this plan and keep throwing away assets like a degenerate gambler chasing one more big payday. Or do they accept the run is over and start paying debts off and rebuilding. Some unpopular decisions are coming no matter what plan Buss and Pelinka choose.

Agree here. They worked their ass off to build the most attractive team to come to. 3 max slot potential + handful of young studs. It was actually a beautiful rebuild. Lebron didn’t pick the Lakers - he picked the flexibility and the trade assets. We had the best situation in the league for 3 stars to join forces.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 8:48 am    Post subject:

Snipes wrote:
Lebron didn’t pick the Lakers - .

I dont want to offend anyone by calling them "delusional" but Bron certainly did pick the Lakers.

He wasn't going anywhere else. The lakers brand, elevated his brand. I kept hearing how guys don't need to be in big markets etc. welp, he certainly felt he did and he was the gold standard in regard to marketing.

Everything he does outside of his school is central to LA and he knew he needed to be here. This is why if he leaves it wont be his choice.

Lakers as a brand is still far and away the best money-making machine for players. Caruso was a national sensation, now he's just a guy. AD made commercials prior, but he's everywhere. Russ already had his machine.

If you are a star and are thirsty beyond the court, there is no better team to play for than the lakers. Not even a close second.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5
Jump to: