TROY BROWN Jr. - Minnesota 2yr deal
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Theseus
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2022 2:35 pm    Post subject:

Lakers read one of my unhinged rants about under the radar talented players like LWIV and TBJ. You're welcome laker fans
Lakersfan1211
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2023 10:02 pm    Post subject:

Hope his injury isn't too serious..
miggz23
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2023 10:05 pm    Post subject:

Lakersfan1211 wrote:

Hoping it's not severe... Even then he will be out a couple weeks at least. Without him and Walker... Our wings just got even smaller now.
Lakersfan1211
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2023 10:12 pm    Post subject:

miggz23 wrote:
Lakersfan1211 wrote:

Hoping it's not severe... Even then he will be out a couple weeks at least. Without him and Walker... Our wings just got even smaller now.

True..someone in the free agency thread mentioned teams can signed 10day contracts starting tomorrow(?) hopefully we can sign some wings.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2023 10:40 pm    Post subject:

Lakersfan1211 wrote:
miggz23 wrote:
Lakersfan1211 wrote:

True..someone in the free agency thread mentioned teams can signed 10day contracts starting tomorrow(?) hopefully we can sign some wings.

I would give Josh Jackson a look, he can still contribute and make a difference in the right environment
Theseus
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2023 8:44 am    Post subject:

Troy's defense and shooting have improved, would suck to have some kind of derailing injury here
Theseus
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2023 1:10 pm    Post subject:

Troy Brown Jr one of the Top On-Ball defenders
joeblow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2023 1:39 pm    Post subject:

^^^ To anyone watching the team that cares an ounce about defense, Troy's skill in this area has been VERY obvious. I said just the other day that he is our best defensive guard, and it's not even close.

Props to Ham for letting him shine by giving him minutes, though he often puts Jr. in the SF slot which doesn't work well because of his size. Keep him focused on defending guards and he is outstanding (though I trust 6'9" forward Vandy to do even better).
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2023 1:56 pm    Post subject:

joeblow wrote:
^^^ To anyone watching the team that cares an ounce about defense, Troy's skill in this area has been VERY obvious. I said just the other day that he is our best defensive guard, and it's not even close.

Props to Ham for letting him shine by giving him minutes, though he often puts Jr. in the SF slot which doesn't work well because of his size.
Keep him focused on defending guards and he is outstanding (though I trust 6'9" forward Vandy to do even better).

Plus he can shoot the 3 ball.
T-Brown has shot 36.2 percent from deep this season.
scout_0
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2023 3:06 pm    Post subject:

joeblow wrote:

Props to Ham for letting him shine by giving him minutes, though he often puts Jr. in the SF slot which doesn't work well because of his size. Keep him focused on defending guards and he is outstanding (though I trust 6'9" forward Vandy to do even better).

I agree. I really like what Brown brings. I dont see Walker taking ANY minutes away from him.

He is an insane rebounder too just has been playing out of position but I remember one game he grabbed like 18 rebounds when AD was out. He is long, I never see anyone out rebound him or man handle him in any way.

I love Brown. Became a huge fan the last 4 weeks of play. I like him EXCLUSIVELY at SG though. And wouldn't mind putting him on certain PG like Terrance Man who got no skills and just harass him full court with his length and speed.
Theseus
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2023 4:54 pm    Post subject:

Crazy he's still young too, turning 24 in July. I feel like he's a guy you can extend on a favorable contract and give some needed depth and length
lar9149
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2023 5:52 pm    Post subject:

Theseus wrote:

Interesting. Now I can see why him AD and Van make a good lineup.

The Lakers held the Pels and Warriors to around 102. Sure without their stars but I think that’s hard to do in todays NBA against any team.
leking006
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2023 6:29 pm    Post subject:

Theseus wrote:

also with difficult matchup
hydrohead
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2023 6:37 pm    Post subject:

I do like vandos size but browns ability to stretch the floor and his defense make him a super fit with the starters.
epic_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2023 8:12 pm    Post subject:

hydrohead wrote:
I do like vandos size but browns ability to stretch the floor and his defense make him a super fit with the starters.

He was the first sub for Lebron. And I think that works ok.
💜💛 🏆 👀 🍖 #18!!!
Kblo247!
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2023 8:30 pm    Post subject:

hydrohead wrote:

Chemistry and activity also matters. Vando brings and activity that helps AD and that Bron simply doesn’t bring to him as the next biggest guy. He also brings to them help on the glass. He also has chemistry with Beasley and Russell which matters in making things fit better.

Brown, Dennis, Reaves all have played together this year. So they can organize the offense and play around Rui and Bamba who are trying to fit in too. Ham did brown a great disservice most the year playing him as a PF, but he’s really showing that Rob saw talent in him for a reason and role
scout_0
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2023 8:46 pm    Post subject:

hydrohead wrote:

Brown is not good enough to start ahead of vando, Beas or Dlo
epic_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2023 9:15 pm    Post subject:

https://twitter.com/VinoUncorked/status/1626709131271843841

There are folks who don't even wanna give Troy bench minutes. It's crazy talk. Sometimes I have no idea what people are watching.
💜💛 🏆 👀 🍖 #18!!!
alleyoop
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2023 9:19 pm    Post subject:

I’d actually be fine giving him the TPMLE. It’s gonna go to a bench player either way, whether it be Dennis, TBJ, or someone not currently on the team
#18 next...
Hanging from Rafters
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2023 10:14 pm    Post subject:

scout_0 wrote:
joeblow wrote:

I agree. I really like what Brown brings. I dont see Walker taking ANY minutes away from him.

He is an insane rebounder too just has been playing out of position but I remember one game he grabbed like 18 rebounds when AD was out. He is long, I never see anyone out rebound him or man handle him in any way.

I love Brown. Became a huge fan the last 4 weeks of play. I like him EXCLUSIVELY at SG though. And wouldn't mind putting him on certain PG like Terrance Man who got no skills and just harass him full court with his length and speed.

Beasley, Walker, Reaves, Reed, Christie, and...Troy BrownJR...all SGs which means TBjr has to play SF as the biggest of the all at 6'6". LBJ is the only true SF on the team and with the glut of SGs and the shortage of SFs if TBjr can't play SF then it would be a challenge for him to get minutes on the team. Regardless of where TBjr is most effective as an individual player, the teams needs him to contribute as a SF and would benefit the team more in that role.

Of course Vandi can play SF but he is a PF/C, small ball C for sure and his versatility allows him to play SF but TBjr is most needed on this team as a SF. With a different roster constrution the Lakers may have the luxury of using TBjr as a SG but as it is now, TBjr is best suited for this roster as the back up SF.

Last edited by Hanging from Rafters on Fri Feb 17, 2023 10:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2023 10:27 pm    Post subject:

scout_0 wrote:
hydrohead wrote:

He defends circles around Beasley and his 3 point shot has been on since he began to get regular minutes. Beasley brings more questions than answers.
Hanging from Rafters
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2023 10:30 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
scout_0 wrote:
hydrohead wrote:

He defends circles around Beasley and his 3 point shot has been on since he began to get regular minutes. Beasley brings more questions than answers.

True, TBjr defends circles around Beasley, and TBjr is a decent 3pt shooter...also true...Brown is not good enough to start ahead of Vandi, Beas, or Dlo.
Don Draper
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2023 10:47 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
scout_0 wrote:
hydrohead wrote:

Beas has far greater gravity on the court. No one respects TBJ's shot though it's good it's going in more than it used to.
joeblow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2023 11:27 pm    Post subject:

Hanging from Rafters wrote:
scout_0 wrote:
joeblow wrote:

Beasley, Walker, Reaves, Reed, Christie, and...Troy BrownJR...all SGs which means TBjr has to play SF as the biggest of the all at 6'6". LBJ is the only true SF on the team and with the glut of SGs and the shortage of SFs if TBjr can't play SF then it would be a challenge for him to get minutes on the team. Regardless of where TBjr is most effective as an individual player, the teams needs him to contribute as a SF and would benefit the team more in that role.

Of course Vandi can play SF but he is a PF/C, small ball C for sure and his versatility allows him to play SF but TBjr is most needed on this team as a SF. With a different roster constrution the Lakers may have the luxury of using TBjr as a SG but as it is now, TBjr is best suited for this roster as the back up SF.

All kinds of stuff in this post is just not true.

Just because we have a thousand guards does not mean a tall guard is automatically a forward. Troy Brown Jr. is a guard. Forcing him to play SF has been a bad idea on defense all season long. He was getting destroyed by B. Ingram (Pels) earlier this month, and Watanbe (Nets) and PG13 (Clips) the month before.

They all simply shot over his guard-sized frame with ease. We were giving up 120-130 points a game (even in the rare close win) in large part because we had Lakers playing out of position.

What happened when we put a REAL forward on Ingram this time with 6'9" defensive stud Vanderbilt? He was controlled a lot better, and as a team they scored 102 points instead of the previous 131. Size matters!

Also, no, it's not a challenge to get him minutes on this team. You posted a long list of guards that we have (still too many IMHO), but let me counter with another list of Laker guards: KCP, Caruso, D. Green, Rondo, A. Bradley. What do all of them have in common compared to the current list?

These 2020 Laker championship guards all have a rep for playing great defense! As a result, we had the best all-around defense in the league and easily hoisted up banner #17. It is also true that the same team had plenty of REAL forwards playing in position: Kuz and M. Morris were 6'9".... no fake forwards at 6'6" back then, so why would we want that now?

So TBJr. absolutely has a significant role on this team IF our coach continues to be smart and uses him as a primary SG like the last game. Start him with DLo and our back court looks great on both sides of the arena. Let all the other smaller players who aren't guarding at as high a level fight for the remaining available minutes, not our best back court defender.

Lastly, no, we are no longer are starved of forwards. Backing up the two stars are my man Vanderbilt (no, he's not a center!), Gabriel (neither is he!), and Rui (neither is he x1,000!). All three can be slotted in at either forward position depending on the match up.

What we could use is another bulky center, but that's another story. Keep Troy in his natural habitat in the back court defending other guards and he will continue to flourish.
scout_0
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2023 7:07 am    Post subject:

Poster above me knows what he is talking about 100% ^^^^^

Here is my take on Brown without overrating him like some here are doing.

He is a quality off the bench guy UNTIL he gets to 40% from 3. If he does that you can argue for him to start. Until then, his volume is not high enough to stretch the floor along with his 36%.

Beasley takes 8.5 3s compared to Browns 3.5 that is a huge change in gravity. The way he does it also. Moving around screens, very quick trigger, helps the offense stay in flow.

For Brown to start he would have to become a better "utility" guy than Vando, good luck. Because Reaves is better overall, and Beasley is better fit.

LeBron-D'Angelo-Davis need a wing defender, and a floor stretcher

I do appreciate what he brings off the bench though. I like him a TON.

Sometimes we like some players but it's ok to recognize they are better off the bench.

I like Rui and Reaves but they are better for us playing a certain role. That is why Phil Jackson. Teams were so good. He assigned roles very clearly.

Before all these guys arrived where were Troy Brown, Dennis, etc? Throwing games away. Know they see the reality and want to put together a couple of decent games expecting our memory forgets who they really are
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 5 of 13
Jump to: