(**For fun**) Indecent Proposal: Trade Bron and AD for 2023 #1 overall pick. Would you?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

 
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Would you trade Bron and AD for 18 Victor Wembanyama?
Yes
47%
 47%  [ 9 ]
No
52%
 52%  [ 10 ]
Total Votes : 19

Author Message
Texas_Pete
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 23 Jun 2005
Posts: 12760
Location: Somewhere watching a Laker game

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 7:22 am    Post subject: (**For fun**) Indecent Proposal: Trade Bron and AD for 2023 #1 overall pick. Would you?

Quote:
You've never seen anything like 7'2 Victor Wembanyama. The French 18 Year old scored 37 Points (7 3s), 5 Blocks in his first ever game on US Soil. Projected Number 1 pick in 2023 NBA Draft


https://twitter.com/Ballislife/status/1577556638067675136?t=dRI11j6HpPMyZJLzgPcq3A&s=19

This dude looks amazing and already has tailor made skills for today's NBA. Would you make this trade? I think I would. Don't @me
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 17 Aug 2008
Posts: 14286
Location: Earth

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 7:27 am    Post subject:

That trade is probably not happening, but, Wembanyama & Henderson are for real...IF they can remain healthy, I see two real future stars and probably all stars...
_________________
Lakers need to build a freaking team !
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
focus
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 23 May 2012
Posts: 2312

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 7:40 am    Post subject:

Assuming it's after he's played all his games before the draft with no injury or other issues, yes. Age and recent injury history, mainly. Also, tradeable asset of the highest order if some doubt. But age and injuries. If Lebron and AD were younger and as they were preADtrade somehow, no.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 19 Jun 2010
Posts: 116741

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 8:17 am    Post subject:

Watching Chet's body collapse when he got bumped by LBJ, I think Victor's long term durability/health is a major question.

Kid def has skills though. Amazing.
_________________
Make the Lakers Great Again
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 29 May 2002
Posts: 57034

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 8:21 am    Post subject:

Porzingis 2.0, IMO.

Edit - The league has been ruled by wings and perimeter players the last 2 decades. If you throw all your eggs into a basket, and that is for a draft pick potential guy, I would go for someone with the skills to dominate in today's league without huge injury concerns who plays a game like Lebron/Kawhi/Giannis.


Last edited by wolfpaclaker on Wed Oct 05, 2022 8:26 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 17 Jun 2006
Posts: 34673

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: (**For fun**) Indecent Proposal: Trade Bron and AD for 2023 #1 overall pick. Would you?

Texas_Pete wrote:
Quote:
You've never seen anything like 7'2 Victor Wembanyama. The French 18 Year old scored 37 Points (7 3s), 5 Blocks in his first ever game on US Soil. Projected Number 1 pick in 2023 NBA Draft


https://twitter.com/Ballislife/status/1577556638067675136?t=dRI11j6HpPMyZJLzgPcq3A&s=19

This dude looks amazing and already has tailor made skills for today's NBA. Would you make this trade? I think I would. Don't @me


I could see a case for us doing it.

Of course, hard to imagine a team that would trade Wembenyana, be able to ship him to us with $87 million in salaries to balance the trade, and still be able to immediately compete for a ring.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 12 Apr 2002
Posts: 15964

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 9:06 am    Post subject:

No.

Wembanyama could be the GOAT . . . but most likely will be a decent to All Star level player. Look at the big men who've gone #1 in the open draft era:

1969 - Kareem
1970 - Lanier

1972 - Martin*
1974 - Walton
1976 - Benson*
1978 - Thompson
1980 - Carroll*
1983 - Sampson
1984 - Olajuwon
1985 - Ewing

1986 - Daugherty
1987 - Robinson
1992 - Shaq
1997 - Duncan

1998 - Olowokandi*
2001 - Kwame*
2002 - Yao
2004 - Dwight
2003- Bogut
2006 - Bargnani*
2007 - Oden*
2012 - AD
2017 - Ayton

Out of those 23 players, 2 are in the conversation for GOAT (KAJ/Shaq).
7 have had "Franchise Player" careers (all in bold) 5 had solid carrers, some affected by injury (Sampson/Yao). 7 are considered busts or huge disappointments (marked by asterisks). The jury is out on Ayton, but he seems like he's headed for the "solid NBA career" group.

Would I trade Bron/AD if I knew VW would be in the KAJ/Shaq tier? Sure.
Would I trade them for anyone in the next tier? No - because AD is in that tier when healthy and should have 3-4 more top flight seasons.

Even if VW is a Unicorn, we've seen extra long unicorns struggle with health issues (Walton, Porzingis, Yao, etc.), so I'm hesitant to deal 2 HOF (one near the tail end) for a highly touted, unproven kid.
_________________
On Lakersground, a concern troll is someone who is a fan of another team, but pretends to be a Lakers fan with "concerns".


Last edited by Dr. Laker on Wed Oct 05, 2022 9:08 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
JUST-MING
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 23 Jun 2005
Posts: 41878

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 9:07 am    Post subject:

Nope.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Mike@LG
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 10 Apr 2001
Posts: 65051
Location: Orange County, CA

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 9:09 am    Post subject:

Wemby has injury history. You're okay with that?
_________________
Resident Car Nut.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Mike@LG
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 10 Apr 2001
Posts: 65051
Location: Orange County, CA

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 9:10 am    Post subject:

deal wrote:
That trade is probably not happening, but, Wembanyama & Henderson are for real...IF they can remain healthy, I see two real future stars and probably all stars...


I was more impressed with Scoot than Wemby tbf.
_________________
Resident Car Nut.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 17 Aug 2008
Posts: 14286
Location: Earth

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 9:22 am    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
deal wrote:
That trade is probably not happening, but, Wembanyama & Henderson are for real...IF they can remain healthy, I see two real future stars and probably all stars...


I was more impressed with Scoot than Wemby tbf.



Scoot showed off great ball handling & shooting; I didn't catch the entire game but think he force a few TO's. The kid has a solid build and i think he would be money on any team. @ 6'2" Scoot even took it inside, with no fear, and finished...

Wemby's biggest challenge could be staying healthy. Although I
did notice he had zero assist. He's a dead end when it comes to ball
movement. I'm not saying he can't pass but I wonder if the chip on
his shoulders is too big to do so? Don't know.
_________________
Lakers need to build a freaking team !
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Megaton
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 18 Feb 2015
Posts: 22262

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 9:29 am    Post subject:

Yes. Not even close. Trading a 39 year old LeBron James for the generational prospect we can have for the next decade and a half at least? Yes without hesitation.

Anybody that says no are either Lebron only fans that doesn't give a crap about the Lakers, or are just idiots. Either one.
_________________
Dennis Schroder: https://media.tenor.com/images/3c15249955860a4b16b59e8ae035fb75/tenor.gif
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 12 Jan 2010
Posts: 35536

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 9:33 am    Post subject:

Number 1 pick is not guaranteed, so NO
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 12 Jan 2010
Posts: 35536

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 9:35 am    Post subject:

Megaton wrote:
Yes. Not even close. Trading a 39 year old LeBron James for the generational prospect we can have for the next decade and a half at least? Yes without hesitation.

Anybody that says no are either Lebron only fans that doesn't give a crap about the Lakers, or are just idiots. Either one.


Wait he said Lebron and Davis, not just Lebron.

I would ship Legramps out quick!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Megaton
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 18 Feb 2015
Posts: 22262

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 9:40 am    Post subject:

defense wrote:
Megaton wrote:
Yes. Not even close. Trading a 39 year old LeBron James for the generational prospect we can have for the next decade and a half at least? Yes without hesitation.

Anybody that says no are either Lebron only fans that doesn't give a crap about the Lakers, or are just idiots. Either one.


Wait he said Lebron and Davis, not just Lebron.

I would ship Legramps out quick!


Oh both of them?

Crap I scimmed through it then. My mistake! Then no! Lol

Although there is an argument FOR IT that people might not be thinking about. You trade those two guys for a rookie contract for 4 years, frees up A HUGE amount of cap space, along with Westbrook expiring, to sign THREE max free agents along with having a generational prospect.

So that is something to consider in this argument. I would still say no because just the 1st pick is not value enough, HOWEVER, there is a strong temptation still of having a generational prospect on a rookie contract for 4 years, and having cap space for THREE max free agents all of a sudden.
_________________
Dennis Schroder: https://media.tenor.com/images/3c15249955860a4b16b59e8ae035fb75/tenor.gif
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Mike@LG
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 10 Apr 2001
Posts: 65051
Location: Orange County, CA

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 9:46 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
Porzingis 2.0, IMO.

Edit - The league has been ruled by wings and perimeter players the last 2 decades. If you throw all your eggs into a basket, and that is for a draft pick potential guy, I would go for someone with the skills to dominate in today's league without huge injury concerns who plays a game like Lebron/Kawhi/Giannis.


The guy showed more ball-handling and passing than KP by age, and he was younger than KP than when KP was really being evaluated.

He's not just a catch-and-shoot shooter. He's a movement and pull up shooter as well.

So no, not KP. But hell, pre-injury KP was up there for a bit.
_________________
Resident Car Nut.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Mike@LG
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 10 Apr 2001
Posts: 65051
Location: Orange County, CA

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 9:59 am    Post subject:

Also, I answered yes, but only because I don't trust the current FO's decision-making with trades/roster construction.

There's conditions to this.

1. Hire the absolute best training staff and essentially give Wembanyama a year off. Embiid and Ben Simmons did.
2. Deplete the roster and open up cap room for free agency all over again.
3. Still continue to buy 2nd round picks and do a complete youth movement all over again.

This is in full assumption that I don't currently believe in the roster's championship hopes, but movements like this would/should put priority with Jesse/Joey Buss with the Laker organization and cut ties off with Klutch, which would really hurt FA signings as well.

That's also why it wouldn't work. LAL doesn't operate like this.
_________________
Resident Car Nut.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 17 Aug 2008
Posts: 14286
Location: Earth

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 10:02 am    Post subject:

IF Orlando got the 2nd pick in the Draft; I'd gladly trade both LJ & AD for that 2nd pick (Scoot) and Banchero....



_________________
Lakers need to build a freaking team !


Last edited by deal on Wed Oct 05, 2022 10:21 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
BILBJH
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 23 Jul 2020
Posts: 2875

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 10:10 am    Post subject:

Number one after the lottery... absolutely.

LBJ is old and AD is just as injury prone as Wembanyama and ten years older.

I can't believe how many of you wouldn't do this.

Half this board must be Klutch interns.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
lakersfever714
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 05 Jan 2016
Posts: 9296

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 10:20 am    Post subject:

Dude needs to put on some meat. Looking like an anorexic supermodel won't help with his post up game. Just wait until he tries to post up against big, muscular NBA players, he won't be able to establish position.

He could become like a typical EU bigs and shoot threes like Dirk but I don't like bigs shooting threes.

AD could be MVP this season. No way I'm trading him for one frp. We gave up like 5 frp for him.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
rock0100
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 26 Mar 2005
Posts: 4430

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 10:20 am    Post subject:

Wenbemyama will be riddled with injuries.

Scoot will be very good but not championship ready for a while.

I would trade Davis for Jaylen Brown.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Mike@LG
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 10 Apr 2001
Posts: 65051
Location: Orange County, CA

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 10:50 am    Post subject:

lakersfever714 wrote:
Dude needs to put on some meat. Looking like an anorexic supermodel won't help with his post up game. Just wait until he tries to post up against big, muscular NBA players, he won't be able to establish position.

He could become like a typical EU bigs and shoot threes like Dirk but I don't like bigs shooting threes.

AD could be MVP this season. No way I'm trading him for one frp. We gave up like 5 frp for him.


Dude get 12 Free throws last game. He does a ton more than shoot 3s.

Hell, just play him at wing. It doesn't matter as much as you think it does.
_________________
Resident Car Nut.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
lakersfever714
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 05 Jan 2016
Posts: 9296

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 11:20 am    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
lakersfever714 wrote:
Dude needs to put on some meat. Looking like an anorexic supermodel won't help with his post up game. Just wait until he tries to post up against big, muscular NBA players, he won't be able to establish position.

He could become like a typical EU bigs and shoot threes like Dirk but I don't like bigs shooting threes.

AD could be MVP this season. No way I'm trading him for one frp. We gave up like 5 frp for him.


Dude get 12 Free throws last game. He does a ton more than shoot 3s.

Hell, just play him at wing. It doesn't matter as much as you think it does.


I just don't like his frail build. He could be Kevin Garnet or he could be Shawn Bradley. I don't know how his frail frame would hold up under the physicality of the NBA.

Basically, when you run and jump a lot and bang body against heavy masses, things tend to break. The bigger you are, the easier it is for things to break. Take Shaq, Yao and Bynum for example. Those guys were riddled with injuries. I think AD got injured easily also because the bigger you are and the higher you jump, your body just wouldn't be able to take the beating for long.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 14 Apr 2001
Posts: 141654
Location: The Gold Coast

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 11:28 am    Post subject:

Sure, then Pelinka could trade him for an often injured vet.
_________________
October 4 is Yadier Molina Day in St. Louis
October 5 is Albert Pujols Day in St. Louis
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 18 Apr 2016
Posts: 41318

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 11:30 am    Post subject:

I just noticed that Wembayama has some big ass hands, almost like the same hands Duncan has.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to:  

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum






Graphics by uberzev
© 1995-2018 LakersGround.net. All Rights Reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Use.
LakersGround is an unofficial news source serving the fan community since 1995.
We are in no way associated with the Los Angeles Lakers or the National Basketball Association.


Powered by phpBB