USC, UCLA to Join the Big Ten Conference in 2024
Goto page 1, 2  Next

 
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
MookieBetts50
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 22 Jul 2020
Posts: 1467

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 10:27 am    Post subject: USC, UCLA to Join the Big Ten Conference in 2024

Quote:
USC and UCLA, two of the Pac-12's flagship programs, are considering leaving the conference for the Big Ten as early as 2024, a source confirmed to ESPN on Thursday.

There is still a formal notification process, as the two schools have to let the Pac-12 know their intentions to leave. USC and UCLA also have to formally apply to the Big Ten. According to a source, that process is underway.


The San Jose Mercury News first reported the news.

Pac-12 commissioner George Kliavkoff was not immediately available for comment.


Last edited by MookieBetts50 on Sun Jul 03, 2022 11:10 am; edited 3 times in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
hydrohead
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 14 Jul 2003
Posts: 2925
Location: Space City

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 10:29 am    Post subject:

As a UCI grad, we would be happy to take the place of UCLA in the PAC-X.
_________________
Kyrie in 23
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Lamar's Bud
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 24 Jun 2005
Posts: 1978

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 10:29 am    Post subject: USC and UCLA To Join BIG Ten Conference in 2024?

Quote:
USC and UCLA are in conversations to leave the Pac-12 for the Big Ten as early as 2024, The Athletic's Nicole Auerbach confirmed. Big Ten presidents and athletic directors held a meeting last night on the topic. Pac-12 reporter Jon Wilner first reported that the two schools were planning to leave as early as 2024 but that the move "has not been finalized at the highest levels of power."

Multiple sources told The Athletic's Bruce Feldman that the two Pac-12 schools were the ones to reach out to the Big Ten about a move.

The Big Ten is currently in negotiations over its next media rights deal. Its existing deals with ESPN and Fox run through the next academic year, 2022-23. The Pac-12's current membership has been together since 2011, when Colorado and Utah joined the league from the Big 12 and the Mountain West, respectively. Before that, the last changes to membership were the addition of Arizona and Arizona State in 1978.

This is a developing story. More to come.
LINK

I'm not big on college sports, but damn, that would be a HUGE shift in the landscape for college conferences/TV rights/etc. Would make the Rose Bowl Game pretty interesting if UCLA/USC were to go against a PAC-12 team.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 12 Aug 2009
Posts: 36450

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 10:47 am    Post subject:

Shocking move if true, but then again the Pac-12's weakness as a conference led to something like this. I'm sure the Pac-12 network where its on a channel that has less exposure than something like Fox/FS1/Big 10 Network which is available in far less homes results in Pac-12 teams getting far less money than other conferences.

Last edited by lakersken80 on Thu Jun 30, 2022 10:51 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 15 Aug 2015
Posts: 11918

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: USC and UCLA To Join BIG Ten Conference in 2024?

Lamar's Bud wrote:
Quote:
USC and UCLA are in conversations to leave the Pac-12 for the Big Ten as early as 2024, The Athletic's Nicole Auerbach confirmed. Big Ten presidents and athletic directors held a meeting last night on the topic. Pac-12 reporter Jon Wilner first reported that the two schools were planning to leave as early as 2024 but that the move "has not been finalized at the highest levels of power."

Multiple sources told The Athletic's Bruce Feldman that the two Pac-12 schools were the ones to reach out to the Big Ten about a move.

The Big Ten is currently in negotiations over its next media rights deal. Its existing deals with ESPN and Fox run through the next academic year, 2022-23. The Pac-12's current membership has been together since 2011, when Colorado and Utah joined the league from the Big 12 and the Mountain West, respectively. Before that, the last changes to membership were the addition of Arizona and Arizona State in 1978.

This is a developing story. More to come.
LINK

I'm not big on college sports, but damn, that would be a HUGE shift in the landscape for college conferences/TV rights/etc. Would make the Rose Bowl Game pretty interesting if UCLA/USC were to go against a PAC-12 team.

Its lame, obviously its a money grab with College NIL being a new thing but the Pac has cache to me.
_________________
"He's been told by people—and I know this—LeBron doesn't want to be coached." - Wilbon

"I mean it's not a failure," James said "We came to work every day...we tried... the results just didn't happen. But it's not a failure." - Bron
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 10 Jul 2009
Posts: 10953
Location: Bay Area

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 11:03 am    Post subject:

hydrohead wrote:
As a UCI grad, we would be happy to take the place of UCLA in the PAC-X.


zot zot baby
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
C-BUS LAKERFAN
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 30 May 2002
Posts: 1427

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 12:02 pm    Post subject:

Wouldn't be surprised if Oregon and another Pac school like Washington or Colorado were next to the Big10.

Pac and Big 12 might need to combine in order to survive.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 12 Aug 2009
Posts: 36450

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 12:07 pm    Post subject:

hydrohead wrote:
As a UCI grad, we would be happy to take the place of UCLA in the PAC-X.


More likely that USC and UCLA starts the dominoes of the rest of the big schools leaving the conference.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Roger O. Thornhill
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 16 Oct 2007
Posts: 12004
Location: Deep Space 9

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 12:44 pm    Post subject:

Cutheon wrote:
hydrohead wrote:
As a UCI grad, we would be happy to take the place of UCLA in the PAC-X.


zot zot baby


Undefeated football team!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 03 Feb 2004
Posts: 24066

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 1:20 pm    Post subject:

They should rename the conference
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 14 Jul 2012
Posts: 11485

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 1:24 pm    Post subject:

Is this for all sports or only college football?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 12 Aug 2009
Posts: 36450

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 1:41 pm    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
Is this for all sports or only college football?


Can't see them staying just for other sports so it would be for the entire program.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
MookieBetts50
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 22 Jul 2020
Posts: 1467

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 1:57 pm    Post subject:

Let the travel nightmares begin!

Gonna be sad to see the conference I grew up with from Pac 10/12 slowly dissolve but blame it all on this awful Commish that gradually led to this disaster over the past few years.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Dumhead
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 01 May 2006
Posts: 3286
Location: Low Post Rate

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 2:01 pm    Post subject:

Pretty shocking at first. But thinking about the landscape of college sports... and the long standing problems of the Pac-12, I suppose it's not a surprise.
_________________
"We got a new universe coming and he's going to control all our universes. We're going to put our universes together" - Metta World Peace
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 14 Jul 2012
Posts: 11485

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 5:55 pm    Post subject:

I don't understand conferences or how they work.

Is bigger better?

How does the Big 10 benefit by getting UCLA and USC?

How does a conference generate money? I'm thinking the same as professional leagues?

1) TV revenue
2) sponsorship deals
3) Gate receipts
4) Merchandise
5) Bowl games

I'm thinking revenues are split evenly across all the members of the conference. So, there's 14 teams in the Big 10, and now adding USC and UCLA makes it a 16 team conference?

So, what does the Big 10 get out of letting USC and UCLA join?

Do they get more TV revenue? More bowl games revenue?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
MookieBetts50
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 22 Jul 2020
Posts: 1467

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 6:40 pm    Post subject:

Possible Big Ten Realignment for 2024/25


BIG East

Indiana
Maryland
Michigan
Mich St.
Ohio St.
Penn St.
Purdue
Rutgers


BIG West

Illinois
Iowa
Minnesota
Nebraska
Northwestern
UCLA
USC

Wisconsin
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 05 Nov 2007
Posts: 20985

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 7:46 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
Shocking move if true, but then again the Pac-12's weakness as a conference led to something like this. I'm sure the Pac-12 network where its on a channel that has less exposure than something like Fox/FS1/Big 10 Network which is available in far less homes results in Pac-12 teams getting far less money than other conferences.


There's a dude on YT whose chan I like to peruse on the telly for the old school NBA stuff from 92-94 and NCAA hoops. He recorded SportsCenters every day from 1991 to 2002ish and uploaded recaps in chronological order, probably 90-120 mins of content each. He's got NCAA seasons from at least 91/2 to 97/8. The 92 clips are especially interesting for The Shaq appearances and Dookies. Shaq was ridiculous next to the Lilliputians in college ball if you thought the NBA was puny next to him. Also the Fab 5 gms from 93. I went thru the whole list from 1994/5 to revisit some of the 95 Bruins and I was surprised to re-learn that there were 4 Pac10 teams in the Tourney that year. UCLA, Arizona, Mario Bennett Arizona St, Oregon. There might've even been 5 with Stanford, can't recall. It wasn't a sh-less conf for the Bruins that year. Iirc, UMass w/ Camby was the team people thot were gonna win in 95 and or 96, but Camby got injured in season in 95 and they didn't recover. UNC w/ Sheed and Stack in 95. I think they got beat in a nasty upset. Arkansas was a tough matchup for a lot of teams as the title game opponent because they ran all night like an Arkansan LMU.

Dat Tyus Edney drive vs Mizzou, do'. The Marques Johnson radio call of that moment is great (his son was a Bruin in 97, Chris, had weight issues). Second it went in, he started screaming "YEAH, BABAY!" fifty-leven times in a row. That drive was the margin of error for the last Bruins championship team (to come for more decades, prob). Great ride, tho. The run w/ the Farmar/Afflalo/M'bah-a-Moute team was good, but you knew Florida was going to beat them, and they did.

I remember keeping tabs on the 92 Trojan team just for the Baby Jordan, but they lost to this. James Forrest was a 12th guy on the Lakers one year. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLbuGuWgHTA
_________________
GOAT MAGIC REEL
SEDALE TRIBUTE
EDDIE DONX!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 12 Aug 2009
Posts: 36450

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 8:07 pm    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
I don't understand conferences or how they work.

Is bigger better?

How does the Big 10 benefit by getting UCLA and USC?

How does a conference generate money? I'm thinking the same as professional leagues?

1) TV revenue
2) sponsorship deals
3) Gate receipts
4) Merchandise
5) Bowl games

I'm thinking revenues are split evenly across all the members of the conference. So, there's 14 teams in the Big 10, and now adding USC and UCLA makes it a 16 team conference?

So, what does the Big 10 get out of letting USC and UCLA join?

Do they get more TV revenue? More bowl games revenue?


Big 10 essentially marks Socal as their territory for recruiting now. This is huge especially for those midwest schools where they will get access to all that football talent. Also the conference gets the 2nd biggest media market under their control. USC and UCLA gets a better media package compared to what they were working with before. That means they will probably get more money than they were getting under Pac-12 media rights. Pac-12 really dropped the ball losing both Socal schools, I think they might have a problem keeping other schools like Stanford and Cal as they might be tempted to join another conference as well. Don't forget during the last decade a lot of talent left for the SEC, ACC, Big 10, Big 12, this really hurt the talent level in the Pac-12. With both schools joining a mega conference now they will probably stay home.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 12 Aug 2009
Posts: 36450

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 8:19 pm    Post subject:

C-BUS LAKERFAN wrote:
Wouldn't be surprised if Oregon and another Pac school like Washington or Colorado were next to the Big10.

Pac and Big 12 might need to combine in order to survive.


The SEC started the ball rolling. Look at how much their media rights go for compared to the other conferences. The other conferences will just end up snatching schools from each other and build their own mega conference to survive. A conference from the power 5 will eventually disappear because they weren't able to survive in this new media landscape. The downside of USC and UCLA joining the Big 10 is that all the traditional rivalries against schools in the Pac-12 will disappear because they will now face a predominantly Big 10 schedule.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 21 Sep 2007
Posts: 29363

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 9:17 pm    Post subject:

Cutheon wrote:
hydrohead wrote:
As a UCI grad, we would be happy to take the place of UCLA in the PAC-X.


zot zot baby


Yo, you're an anteater too?! Let's GOOO! Zot zot zot!!!
_________________
KOBE
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Omar Little
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 02 May 2005
Posts: 89724
Location: Formerly Known As 24

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2022 6:39 am    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
C-BUS LAKERFAN wrote:
Wouldn't be surprised if Oregon and another Pac school like Washington or Colorado were next to the Big10.

Pac and Big 12 might need to combine in order to survive.


The SEC started the ball rolling. Look at how much their media rights go for compared to the other conferences. The other conferences will just end up snatching schools from each other and build their own mega conference to survive. A conference from the power 5 will eventually disappear because they weren't able to survive in this new media landscape. The downside of USC and UCLA joining the Big 10 is that all the traditional rivalries against schools in the Pac-12 will disappear because they will now face a predominantly Big 10 schedule.


And that begs the question, if you’re now paying (at least the better) players (which I agree with) and you’re changing all of the old rivalries, what is even the value of having the colleges themselves involved anymore? Tradition is really the only reason, and that’s going by the wayside.
_________________
“We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented.” ― Elie Wiesel
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Omar Little
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 02 May 2005
Posts: 89724
Location: Formerly Known As 24

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2022 6:49 am    Post subject:

Basically this is just a lower level pro league.
_________________
“We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented.” ― Elie Wiesel
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
C-BUS LAKERFAN
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 30 May 2002
Posts: 1427

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2022 7:10 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
Basically this is just a lower level pro league.


Always has been. It's the NFL minor league system that they don't have to pay a dime for.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
C-BUS LAKERFAN
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 30 May 2002
Posts: 1427

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2022 7:14 am    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
I don't understand conferences or how they work.

Is bigger better?

How does the Big 10 benefit by getting UCLA and USC?

How does a conference generate money? I'm thinking the same as professional leagues?

1) TV revenue
2) sponsorship deals
3) Gate receipts
4) Merchandise
5) Bowl games

I'm thinking revenues are split evenly across all the members of the conference. So, there's 14 teams in the Big 10, and now adding USC and UCLA makes it a 16 team conference?

So, what does the Big 10 get out of letting USC and UCLA join?

Do they get more TV revenue? More bowl games revenue?


LA market. Rumor is each team will receive 100 million a year in TV revenue with the new Fox contract. I heard that the current Pac revenue is 30 million a year. It's too much $ for them to pass up. UCLA has a 30 million athletic deficit.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Omar Little
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 02 May 2005
Posts: 89724
Location: Formerly Known As 24

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2022 7:17 am    Post subject:

C-BUS LAKERFAN wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
Basically this is just a lower level pro league.


Always has been. It's the NFL minor league system that they don't have to pay a dime for.


Right. So why perpetuate the myth? And why create a new system where there’s no attempt at parity or rules for teams.
_________________
“We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented.” ― Elie Wiesel
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to:  

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum






Graphics by uberzev
© 1995-2018 LakersGround.net. All Rights Reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Use.
LakersGround is an unofficial news source serving the fan community since 1995.
We are in no way associated with the Los Angeles Lakers or the National Basketball Association.


Powered by phpBB