How do/did you guys feel about LeBron fans cheering for Boston?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2022 7:32 pm    Post subject: Re: How do/did you guys feel about LeBron fans cheering for Boston?

DShotMaker1824 wrote:
An offseason thread and the question is there...

You guys know I am not really a fan of LeBron James in general, mostly due to what I feel is a corruption of the game of basketball owing mostly to his issues with footwork, defensive commitment after leaving Miami, and overall mentality. I am also not fond of the philosophy that is the "player-first" fandom. When I saw this phenomenon (as indicated by the subject), it really reminded me of one of the biggest indirect (i.e. non-basketball) reasons I did not want LeBron in purple and gold.

To be a Laker fan is to hate the Boston Celtics—and any deviation from that premise is an insult, akin to heresy, in my book.

If LeBron fans are THAT scared that Steph Curry is going to threaten LeBron's legacy THIS early of it's establishment then maybe they don't think LeBron is as all-time as they act like he is.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2022 7:33 pm    Post subject: Re: How do/did you guys feel about LeBron fans cheering for Boston?

MJST wrote:
DShotMaker1824 wrote:

You guys know I am not really a fan of LeBron James in general, mostly due to what I feel is a corruption of the game of basketball owing mostly to his issues with footwork, defensive commitment after leaving Miami, and overall mentality. I am also not fond of the philosophy that is the "player-first" fandom. When I saw this phenomenon (as indicated by the subject), it really reminded me of one of the biggest indirect (i.e. non-basketball) reasons I did not want LeBron in purple and gold.

To be a Laker fan is to hate the Boston Celtics—and any deviation from that premise is an insult, akin to heresy, in my book.

If LeBron fans are THAT scared that Steph Curry is going to threaten LeBron's legacy THIS early of it's establishment then maybe they don't think LeBron is as all-time as they act like he is.

Excellent point.
PinoyLBJFan
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 10:11 am    Post subject: Re: How do/did you guys feel about LeBron fans cheering for Boston?

MJST wrote:
DShotMaker1824 wrote:

There is no way SC can threaten LBJ's legacy. I doubt the Warriors will win another championship again. The injuries of the Lakers and the Nets (plus the KI drama) had paved the way for the Warriors to win the chips. We all know the young celtics has no chance to beat the experienced warriors.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 10:15 am    Post subject: Re: How do/did you guys feel about LeBron fans cheering for Boston?

PinoyLBJFan wrote:
MJST wrote:
DShotMaker1824 wrote:

There is no way SC can threaten LBJ's legacy. I doubt the Warriors will win another championship again. The injuries of the Lakers and the Nets (plus the KI drama) had paved the way for the Warriors to win the chips. We all know the young celtics has no chance to beat the experienced warriors.

just curious why not, they have the spending power. They can go get Ayton if they want, they can flip Wiggins and picks for a Beal, they're in a pretty good spot
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 10:44 am    Post subject:

I don't mind. Not trying to start anything, but LeBron fans aren't Laker fans, they are LeBron fans. And Curry vs. LeBron naturally means more to them than LA vs. Boston means to us.

What's funny is I think LBJ probably hates Boston way more than he cares about he vs. Steph. Boston was to LBJ as Detroit was to MJ - an overly physical nuisance that denied him an early opportunity at greatness and laid bare his minor weaknesses as a player to the world.
Drifts
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: How do/did you guys feel about LeBron fans cheering for Boston?

governator wrote:
PinoyLBJFan wrote:
MJST wrote:
DShotMaker1824 wrote:

just curious why not, they have the spending power. They can go get Ayton if they want, they can flip Wiggins and picks for a Beal, they're in a pretty good spot

to many, Steph is the player of this generation... ESPN just got too much investment on Lebron to admit that.
"Now, if life is coffee, then the jobs, money & position in society are the cups. They are just tools to hold & contain life, but the quality of life doesn't change. Sometimes, by concentrating only on the cup, we fail to enjoy the coffee in it."
DShotMaker1824
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2022 7:56 am    Post subject:

Cutheon wrote:
I don't mind. Not trying to start anything, but LeBron fans aren't Laker fans, they are LeBron fans. And Curry vs. LeBron naturally means more to them than LA vs. Boston means to us.

What's funny is I think LBJ probably hates Boston way more than he cares about he vs. Steph. Boston was to LBJ as Detroit was to MJ - an overly physical nuisance that denied him an early opportunity at greatness and laid bare his minor weaknesses as a player to the world.

I agree with these assessments.

BTW, (not directed at you Cutheon), fans or "fanatics" reserve the right to be presumptuous and arrogant—and this is a forum for fans of the Lakers the last time I checked.

Presumptuousness and arrogance is part of the intrigue of being a fan (especially a die-hard fan) of a sports team.

"Through the legs to the left, through the legs to the right, we don't run them Laker plays, we just Kobe fadeaway..."
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2022 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: How do/did you guys feel about LeBron fans cheering for Boston?

Drifts wrote:
governator wrote:
PinoyLBJFan wrote:
MJST wrote:
DShotMaker1824 wrote:

to many, Steph is the player of this generation... ESPN just got too much investment on Lebron to admit that.

Pretty much. I can guarantee that if LeBron with Miami had done to Kobe what Durant did to LBJ in the Finals, ESPN would have been all over how LeBron 'took' the torch from Kobe. But when it's LeBron there's always an excuse of some sorts, the kind of excuses no one else is afforded when their teams are injured or hurt. You don't hear anyone taking away Jordan's first ring because the Lakers team was injured, you don't hear ESPN saying that LeBron's ring he won with the Lakers doesn't count because Adebayo was injured, do you?

But anyway, there are so many LeBron fans that are scared that Steph is going to surpass him all-time the more Championships he wins. And like I said, if they are so afraid of that, that they willingly will root for Boston to keep it from happening, then perhaps LeBron isn't as all-time to them as they act like he is.

If Steph wins a 5th ring, you can argue placing him ahead of LeBron on the all-time list. That would give him more rings than LeBron and a 3-1 record vs LeBron in the Finals. If LeBron and Steph are really this era's "Bird and Magic" then Steph would take the "Magic" role as far as history goes if he gets his 5th ring.

This prospect terrifies LeBron James stans because NEVER before has an arguable "Goat" literally had someone challenging their status before they even retire. Which again, is why when people be saying LeBron is "2nd all-time" they jump a bit too much. If LeBron was 2nd all-time, then his fans wouldn't be so terrified of Steph surpassing his legacy BEFORE HE EVEN RETIRES, that they actively root for Boston ON A LAKERS FORUM... just to try to keep a gap there.

The reality is, if the Warriors remain healthy, they've got a good 2-3 year run in them with their core before their young talent starts getting into their prime.

So Steph's got a chance at getting 6. And without injuries/suspensions to the Warriors, Steph would very likely have 6 right now and going for ring 7-8 and a 3 year run to do so. That's a scary prospect, but it's the same prospect the 80s Lakers had when they were in the Finals every other year. If not for injuries or such, Magic very well may have had 8 rings.

Some people may not like this, but the closest thing to the Showtime Lakers in terms of modern equivalent has been the Golden State Warriors. The way they run their organization is a step ahead of the rest of the league, which is what Dr. Buss and Jerry West did so well with the Lakers in that time.

The way some Lakers fans talk about Warriors fans, is how fans of all the other NBA teams talked about the Lakers in the 80s.

So the best thing we can do is appreciate it while it's here, because we likely won't see anything like it again for a while, nor a player like Steph.

You would HOPE that the Lakers are watching what the Warriors did, and are trying to build towards that. But the problem is, they COULD have, but they gave away pieces they didn't have to, they didn't extend the players they should have, and wound up having to not keep as many assets in the AD trade as they would have if they'd just held onto some of the players they let walk for nothing.

The Lakers are in the position they're in because of their own decision making and giving up on an experienced Front Office for first years. Which is why they've not been able to put together a darn thing post-LeBron and AD.

The Warriors are in the position they're in because of their own decision making as well, and it's a model the Lakers should have been paying attention to. Then we wouldn't be praying that All our 2nd round picks turn into all-stars, that some team will take mercy on us and give us a superstar for Russell Westbrook, that Kyrie would take the MLE and not having to wait till 2027 for an actual 1st round pick.

But onto the main subject. LeBron fans are LeBron fans and not Lakers fans, just like they were only Miami Heat fans while LeBron was there. If LeBron leaves the Lakers, they'll go follow him to whatever team Bronny is drafted to.

The reason they rooted for Boston isn't because they had any kind of loyalty(or lack there of) for the Lakers. It is strictly because they are terrified that Steph is gonna surpass him in LeBron's own supposed era.

And after they got away with calling LeBron "The 2nd greatest player of all time" after the bubble title and assumed they wouldn't be dealing with the Warriors anymore, the last 2 seasons happened. And they're back to being worried.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2022 11:04 am    Post subject:

Steph having more rings than LeBron doesn't make him in the same level of LeBron, LeBron's level is only Kobe, MJ and Kareem.
Steph having more rings than LeBron to me prevents LeBron to be the GOAT, can't have another player from your era have more rings, simple as that but let's be real, LeBron > Steph
Brawn13
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2022 11:29 am    Post subject:

Lebron is in the GOAT tier category, Curry isn’t and likely won’t ever be. Warriors winning shouldn’t threaten Lebrons status by any rational fan. There’s no need to cheer for Boston.

Lebron himself was openly cheering for the Warriors. I believe
Lebron will always resent Boston for their big 3 getting in his way, which made him take drastic measures to ensure he didn’t end up ringless….which unfortunately for him came with some of the most criticism and pressure in team sports history as a result.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3
Jump to: