[Video] Teen driver hits mom & baby stroller in Venice CA, only gets 5-7 months in Juvenile detention.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2022 2:46 pm    Post subject: [Video] Teen driver hits mom & baby stroller in Venice CA, only gets 5-7 months in Juvenile detention.

Video:

Quote:
Venice woman hit by teen driver while walking with baby in stroller speaks out against Gascón

VENICE, Calif. (KABC) -- A Venice woman who was hit by a car while walking her eight-month-old in a stroller, an incident that was caught on video, says she is outraged by the punishment the teenage driver received.

The rental car was being driven by a Palmdale resident who had just turned 16 years old the day before, didn't have his license, was under the influence and on probation for another incident.

Video captured the moment the car hit the woman, who asked to only be identified by her first name, and the stroller, toppling them over. The driver then tried to flee after the August 2021 incident.

"He hit us. He had no intention of stopping," Rachel said. "He did slow down after he hit us and I believe that's because he saw the oncoming truck that ended up ramming him into the telephone pole."

According to Rachel, the 16-year-old was tested for drugs at the scene and had marijuana and Xanax in his system. Rachel believes this was no accident.

"I'd like to believe that somebody... that I don't know wouldn't just try to intentionally kill me and my child, but once I learned on Sunday that the kid had a prior felony charge for poisoning a girl in his high school, there's just no doubt," Rachel said. "The mental toll on me is just, it's really hard to wrap your head around somebody just trying to kill you."

Rachel's son, now a year and a half old, had a tire mark on his head and although not seriously injured, suffered day and night terrors for two months following the incident.

Rachel suffered a laceration on her back and needed stitches on her right elbow.

The office of Los Angeles County District Attorney George Gascón charged the driver, who is a minor, with two counts of felony assault and one count of felony leaving the scene. The now 17-year-old was sentenced to 5 to 7 months in a juvenile probation camp.

Rachel, who voted for Gascón, but now supports the recall effort, calls the punishment laughable.

"I think everybody can agree that we need to reform the system in a big way, but, I don't understand why there can't be law and order and reform at the same time. Why does it have to be one or the other?" Rachel said.

In a series of tweets, Gascón's office said misinformation has circulated about the incident and that there's no evidence of "attempted murder."

Rather, the District Attorney's office said in a tweet: "Unfortunately, opponents are attempting to capitalize on this incident & are using the victim to advance the false premise that this sentencing is tied to the DA's criminal reform policies. The truth is our office simply followed California law."

Gascón's office said they know the trauma will impact Rachel's family forever, adding that Victim Services has reached out.

But Rachel tells Eyewitness News that because of this incident, the lack of justice, and the fact that she doesn't feel safe, her family is moving out of L.A. County.

https://abc7.com/venice-mother-baby-hit-and-run/11942738/
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2022 3:56 pm    Post subject:

I was outraged when I had initially first viewed this video and I agree with the victim that it certainly looked intentional, he seems to purposely swerve right at them.

Outrageous and the slap on the wrist sentence is disgusting and why many of us are over the current leniency being shown scumbag criminals.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2022 7:40 pm    Post subject:

Felony for poisoning a classmate before this? Ugh. Lemme guess, he knowingly gave someone pot gummis. This sentence probably won't deter him from doing something equally stupid as an adult in a few years. A little more may have gotten his head straight. Five to 7, not even a full year and only because he was luckier than sh that he didn't kill one or both of them. At age 16 by one day, he will no doubt be too ignorant to realize just how lucky he was even when the judge tells him. He's young and an idiot and a probable sociopath, bad combo. With his level of smarts, he is destined to ruin someone else's life in time.

Or maybe he thinks about his future while he IS in that kind of joint and gets an epiphany about how lucky he was. Maybe a 70/30 proposition for another felony as an adult, but who knows.

I saw a clip of a 17 yr old drivin a bleeping Lambo that his rich father bought him and the kid ran a red and broadsided a car of a young woman on her way home from work and killing her. Her car was shredded and it did a 360 and the whole passenger side ripped open. We have cretins like that in this world, and I'm talking about the father who had a matching Lambo w/ his 17 yr old idiot son. A son who no doubt has no idea about real life because he grew up rich enough to have a Lambo at age 17 and had a meathead as a father (guaranteed a Murca lovin Trumpfan). Disgusting. They have to pay the surviving fam 19 mill, but I didn't see what happened to the 17 yr old. I was probably too sickened to keep reading.

Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2022 7:01 am    Post subject:

Did the 16 year old take a deal, or was that just what the judge gave him?
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: