What was it like to be a teenager in the 80s?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
aprevo15
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2022 7:30 pm    Post subject:

I love this thread. Reading what everyone wrote brings back such good memories.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2022 7:46 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
cheapedy wrote:

On a few occasions we went to the Go Carts/Arcades,

Malibu Grand Prix for the win!!!

Finally! Mentioned it earlier and no one seemed to remember it. Did you go to the one in City of Industry?

We used to go to the one in Northridge. There was also a waterslide there that we used to go to meet girls. Funny story about that place. One time me and a buddy skateboarded and took the bus there. We just went in our board shorts. On the very first slide, i came off the mat and hit a seam in the slide's tubes and tore my shorts right down the seam in the back leaving my backside exposed, which I didn't know right away until I got off the slide and some girls were laughing behind me and pointed it out

That incident is the 80s in a nutshell lol. I honestly don't know how I survived with some of the stupid ish I found myself in.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2022 8:48 pm    Post subject:

John Hughes movies.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2022 9:55 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
John Hughes movies.

The last 10 minutes or so of Planes Trains And Automobiles gets me every single time.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2022 10:31 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
William Peterson had his first act in two gritty, fantastic films, Manhunter and To Live and Die in LA.

(NPZ gives Omar a figurative basketball butt slap, a hard, stinging one, red hand outline).

A Billy Peterson reference, wasn't expecting. Live And Die is an all-time fave of mine as I've told you before. Last October, I was in a movie mood and went thru a lot of old movies that I have on DVD, a lot of 80s stuff. I watched stuff like The Last American Virgin and Better Off Dead which I hadn't seen in full in years and years. VisionQuest was another one (DaMule was an unfilmed extra in a scene, he told me). And I also watched headier fare. But I did a peep of Live and Die in LA for the first time in maybe a decade (in full) and I must've watched it again in full 3 more times.

It's such an underrated and engrossing flick, despite having some errors and plot holes/mysteries. Dafoe and John Pankow were excellent. Pankow was an Everyman lookswise, so I dunno if that affected his getting roles, but he was great in that. He had to produce a ton of realistic anxiety. Ending was brave, which I thought was fitting for an on-the-edge cop/agent prototype character. I'm sure you've seen the alt ending that the studio forced them to make where Chance survived, but it was so bad, the studio changed their mind when they saw it. That was their first movie, both of them. The movie was generally lauded w/ a few snoots decrying the nature and unlikeability of every single character because every one of them was compromised in some way and/or had ulterior motives. Turturro was excellent, too. Very convincingly menacing when he was young.

1985 was a good movie year, imo. I have a lot of stuff from that year and relatively little from most other 80s years. 1987 was also good.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2022 10:57 pm    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:

Cocaine might have had some cut in it but wouldn't kill you

Well... Mostly. Yeyo took out Bias, but I've heard the 911 call his friend made and that guy was so bleeped up himself that he could barely talk. I have never seen a tox report on Bias, but judging by his friend, it must've been too much coke AND other stuff all combining. He was the shocker case for every one who snorted a line or two at parties.

No shame from me if you ever tried it. If you have, I'd like to hear your anecdote. If it was presented to me, I'd be tempted to toot a little bit just to "get" the feels and see what's what. Maybe I should be glad that it doesn't circulate among regular folk nearly as much as it did then. I'm not a druggie, but I'm just curious (like Ricky Fitts). Strong weed Fs me up. Every holiday function, my brother in law's lousy brother pressures me to do and I always succumb and he chuckles when I cough on the inhale. He gets toxic level stuff.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2022 11:14 pm    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
William Peterson had his first act in two gritty, fantastic films, Manhunter and To Live and Die in LA.

(NPZ gives Omar a figurative basketball butt slap, a hard, stinging one, red hand outline).

A Billy Peterson reference, wasn't expecting. Live And Die is an all-time fave of mine as I've told you before. Last October, I was in a movie mood and went thru a lot of old movies that I have on DVD, a lot of 80s stuff. I watched stuff like The Last American Virgin and Better Off Dead which I hadn't seen in full in years and years. VisionQuest was another one (DaMule was an unfilmed extra in a scene, he told me). And I also watched headier fare. But I did a peep of Live and Die in LA for the first time in maybe a decade (in full) and I must've watched it again in full 3 more times.

It's such an underrated and engrossing flick, despite having some errors and plot holes/mysteries. Dafoe and John Pankow were excellent. Pankow was an Everyman lookswise, so I dunno if that affected his getting roles, but he was great in that. He had to produce a ton of realistic anxiety. Ending was brave, which I thought was fitting for an on-the-edge cop/agent prototype character. I'm sure you've seen the alt ending that the studio forced them to make where Chance survived, but it was so bad, the studio changed their mind when they saw it. That was their first movie, both of them. The movie was generally lauded w/ a few snoots decrying the nature and unlikeability of every single character because every one of them was compromised in some way and/or had ulterior motives. Turturro was excellent, too. Very convincingly menacing when he was young.

1985 was a good movie year, imo. I have a lot of stuff from that year and relatively little from most other 80s years. 1987 was also good.

Fwiw, I was the unfilmed xtra in vision quest.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2022 12:04 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

Fwiw, I was the unfilmed xtra in vision quest.

Ahh, damnit. I was trying to remember which one of you told me that in a different post in the film thread, recently. Ok, duly noted now. Vital info.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2022 2:12 pm    Post subject:

Just completed a mini Michael Mann film festival:

Thief
Manhunter
Heat
Public Enemies
Collateral
Miami Vice
Blackhat
focus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2022 2:32 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:

Thief
Manhunter
Heat
Public Enemies
Collateral
Miami Vice
Blackhat

Review on Blackhat?
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2022 4:24 pm    Post subject:

I wasn't alive for the 80s. But, that doesn't stop me from having a hot take.
I really don't think highly of the decade.
Alot of my dislike is Reagan related. But putting that aside.
The way shows and movies portray the 80s (neon colors, electric guitar, the hairstyles). None of it is appealing to me.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2022 7:56 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
Public Enemies

Not that this is 80s related, but what's yer take on PE? Wasn't a fave of mine. I don't think Depp The Innocent or Bale were right for those roles. They picked them because they were both A listers. Bale as Melvin Purvis is difficult to ignore. For some reason his American accent sounded weirder than it usually does. I don't know what kind of accent he was going for. And considering that Purvis likely committed suicide by gunshot in 1960, maybe he should've been portrayed as a character w/o as much cocksuredness and righteousness as Bale gave him. He made him look like more or less indestructible and immune to any harm because he was such a straight arrow with skills far surpassing the gangsters. In reality, maybe he wasn't the ideal that PE made him. If Mel shot himself w/ his own gun, then he was a more complicated man than he's ever been portrayed, imo.

Depp as Dillinger, ehh. Billy Crudup as Hoover. Ach. Again, a good actor, but didn't look the part and affected an accent that Hoover didn't even have. Stephen Graham as Baby Face Nelson was interesting, prolly largely due to Lester Gillis being an interesting figure himself. He still has the record of FBI agent kills at 4, but you might account for the nascent and maybe naive nature of the FBI back then. It's not what it is in modern times. There was a major firefight in Miami in 1986 where 2 agents were killed and 2 is a huge number as far as that goes. I'm not just being an old curmudgeon when I say that the 1973 "Dillinger" movie w/ Warren Oates and Harry Dean Stanton is still the best depiction of John, Lester, J Edgar and their times.

I like Collateral. Ending was typical Hollywood hyperbole with a silly ass over the top resolution, but Tomcat was good as usual and his character was interesting. The foreshadowing of him being dead alone on a subway train was blatant when he told Foxx about the dude being dead for hours before anyone noticed. And, now, Jada Smith, brave alopecia survivor, is like bugspray in my face since The Slap. If I watch that in full, I'm probably gonna FF past her, just sayin. She and Amber can kick rocks.

Last edited by non-player zealot on Wed Jun 08, 2022 5:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
doughboy90650
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2022 8:57 pm    Post subject:

The crack era. Watching crackheads walk up and down the streets all time of the day and night. Also the gang violence at an all time high. The legend of Monster Kody, Crazy D, Big Dumps and Big U ringing bells up and down the streets.

Many days like Friday when we were laughing but far too many days like Boys in the Hood and Menace to Society. Also being bussed out to the valley to go to school introduced me to white America. Wow, a 7-11 opened 24 hours a day. No graffiti. Green lawns. Why does everyone have an AC/DC shirt on and why are you saying TOTALLY all the time? Then have to return to the hood where as soon As we got off the bus, we were chased home and sometimes jumped.

Many good times of playing sideline pop football in the streets or basketball at Raymond Avenue or St. Andrews park; only to have it interrupted because the Eight Treys and Rolling 60’s had a rumble. Lotta good. Lotta bad.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2022 5:23 pm    Post subject:

doughboy90650 wrote:
The crack era. Watching crackheads walk up and down the streets all time of the day and night. Also the gang violence at an all time high. The legend of Monster Kody, Crazy D, Big Dumps and Big U ringing bells up and down the streets.

Many days like Friday when we were laughing but far too many days like Boys in the Hood and Menace to Society. Also being bussed out to the valley to go to school introduced me to white America. Wow, a 7-11 opened 24 hours a day. No graffiti. Green lawns. Why does everyone have an AC/DC shirt on and why are you saying TOTALLY all the time? Then have to return to the hood where as soon As we got off the bus, we were chased home and sometimes jumped.

Many good times of playing sideline pop football in the streets or basketball at Raymond Avenue or St. Andrews park; only to have it interrupted because the Eight Treys and Rolling 60’s had a rumble. Lotta good. Lotta bad.

Wow, good to see you, Dough. Been a long while, dude. W/ the Eight Treys and the Rolling 60s, that was the opening of the gunfire era as far as rumbles went, right? Yikes. Did your house ever get way too close to a gunshot(s)? Not a smartass question, but since you mentioned "Boyz", did you ever see a dead gunshot victim when you were growing up? Since survivors are hot now, anyone who had to live in the REAL hood is one. By extension, you're one.
doughboy90650
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2022 7:58 pm    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
doughboy90650 wrote:

Wow, good to see you, Dough. Been a long while, dude. W/ the Eight Treys and the Rolling 60s, that was the opening of the gunfire era as far as rumbles went, right? Yikes. Did your house ever get way too close to a gunshot(s)? Not a smartass question, but since you mentioned "Boyz", did you ever see a dead gunshot victim when you were growing up? Since survivors are hot now, anyone who had to live in the REAL hood is one. By extension, you're one.

LA riots kicked off on Florence and Notmandie. I grew up on 83rd and Normandie. So we were right in the heart. Lower middle class and always had to be in the house before those street lights came on. And back then actually, dudes still knuckled up when they had beef. Catch a fade. Fair one on ones. Beef between those two sets were from a misunderstanding but it happens like that sometimes. Once the crack era hit and since no one is trying to hire a gang member, he figures let me sell some crack.

I can make more in a week than working a regular nine to five. And with all this extra cash, I can head to the Western Surplus and instead of buying one gun, I can buy a crate of guns.

Also Freeway Rick was flooding the streets. Nicknamed Freeway because he had a bunch of cribs off the 110 freeway which were all near on ramps just in case he had to bounce.

You just don’t forget those times. So many funerals at Inglewood Cemetary. Seeing Chili Red ride his beach cruiser and had a sawed off shotgun across the handlebars with a blanket over it. “What’s up Chili Red?” “What’s up little N-word?” Lol. It was like Beirut or Afghanistan back then. The batter rams going into the wrong houses. Standing in front of the house and LAPD shaking us down. Then they would swing through and hand out Dodger baseball cards. Lowered Nissan trucks and cruising in my brother truck in Crenshaw. Because we knew the 60s and Treys were gonna go at it. When they didn’t, it was cool and trying to Mack the young ladies. It was wild but I wouldn’t change it for anything.

Stats said I should have been in jail or dead by 21. Being bused to El Camino Real really saved my life.
gumby
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2022 9:01 pm    Post subject:

As usual, late to a good thread like this.

As I remember, I turned 10 in 87.

One of the big things were video games. I grew up at the video game boom ith Tron being my all time favorite. At one point, every liquor store, mall and restuarant had video games. Even my local jack in the box had video games, not to mention the regular burger stands.

I grew up in Norwalk, so Golf N Stuff in Downey (the other ones didn’t exist in my mind)was the place to be to go hangout, space out and blow through 20 dollars of allowance money.

Also regular mom and pop arcades like Galaxy arcade also in Downey.

My dad and my older brother and I could do a whole afternoon there as well.

When I was a little older is was asking permission to go to someone’s house or go walk to the liquor store because you thought it was cool to just go somewhere by yourself or with friends. Sometimes with bike too.

Renting vhs tapes and watching them on Friday or Saturday nights.

Open campuses for lunch, cause we didn’t live in a crazy gun nation now.

900 number ads.

Cigarette machines everywhere.

Smoking and non-smoking sections in places.

Learning to type on a typewriter/typing class in a school.

Being ok as a latch key kid because your mom or dad worked late and didn’t get home until 7 or 8pm or later.

We didn’t have cell phones so you made sure to call and check in if you were somewhere.

Pay phones and calling collect.

So much more.

Bye.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2022 7:16 pm    Post subject:

doughboy90650 wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:
doughboy90650 wrote:

LA riots kicked off on Florence and Notmandie. I grew up on 83rd and Normandie. So we were right in the heart. Lower middle class and always had to be in the house before those street lights came on. And back then actually, dudes still knuckled up when they had beef. Catch a fade. Fair one on ones. Beef between those two sets were from a misunderstanding but it happens like that sometimes. Once the crack era hit and since no one is trying to hire a gang member, he figures let me sell some crack.

I can make more in a week than working a regular nine to five. And with all this extra cash, I can head to the Western Surplus and instead of buying one gun, I can buy a crate of guns.

Also Freeway Rick was flooding the streets. Nicknamed Freeway because he had a bunch of cribs off the 110 freeway which were all near on ramps just in case he had to bounce.

You just don’t forget those times. So many funerals at Inglewood Cemetary. Seeing Chili Red ride his beach cruiser and had a sawed off shotgun across the handlebars with a blanket over it. “What’s up Chili Red?” “What’s up little N-word?” Lol. It was like Beirut or Afghanistan back then. The batter rams going into the wrong houses. Standing in front of the house and LAPD shaking us down. Then they would swing through and hand out Dodger baseball cards. Lowered Nissan trucks and cruising in my brother truck in Crenshaw. Because we knew the 60s and Treys were gonna go at it. When they didn’t, it was cool and trying to Mack the young ladies. It was wild but I wouldn’t change it for anything.

Stats said I should have been in jail or dead by 21. Being bused to El Camino Real really saved my life.

Yeah, the Daryl Era of the LAPD. Reagan Republican at heart and mind. Also the Rampart Div and CRASH. People waiting in line to see "Colors" being shot at a few times, prolly due to something in the movie that wasn't approved of.

Another 80s LA area thing coming to me now is Richard Ramirez. The recent 3-4 part Netflix docu on him and those times was excellent. If you haven't yet, make sure to peep. Would be very nostalgic to you, tho he got beat in another part of the city. Most serial killers don't cross ethnic lines, but let's be real that he wasn't about to go into the hood to try to pull that sh. He went to suburbs and got little kids and 80 yr old women. Sick F. That and the tragic Adam Walsh case in Florida were in kids' minds then, at least mine. I remember them taking all our fingerprints at school in 83 or 84 prolly due to that case. All they found of Adam was his head in a drainage ditch off of a highway which was a miracle in itself. That one affected white America pretty good because Adam was white. And because of that, his case got tons of coverage. Also Baby Jessica. But that was something that had to be engrained into 80s kids -- don't talk to strangers (like you did in the 70s...). Wayne Williams in ATL killing black children was another. In THAT case, not so much coverage. He's as guilty as sin, btw. Saw the recent HBO 3-4 pt doc on him, too. He'll never get released.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2022 9:45 pm    Post subject:

gumby wrote:

When I was a little older is was asking permission to go to someone’s house or go walk to the liquor store because you thought it was cool to just go somewhere by yourself or with friends. Sometimes with bike too.

That was a good post, gumby. Lot of cogent add-ons in there. I'm a year older than you, there are a lot of late Gen Xers on LG as posters. jonnybravo and numerous others. That's a funny story because I know what you're talking about. At about 8 yrs old, you got adventurous and wanted to trek on foot to the liquor store for this and that. I had to X two major avenues to get to my closest which was AM/PM or the store in the Shell station on the other corner of the intersection. I remember getting a New Coke from AM/PM, that's where I first tasted that abomination. It stands to reason since The Coz hawked them on commercials.

In what I'm sure was during the 84 Prez race where poor Mondale got obliterated by Ronnie, I went on that trek. I remember my sis watching some news clip of that on telly as I asked for some change from her. I could get money so long as I bought her a Crush soda, strawberry, preferably. Or a Squirt if they had them. Anyway, as I walked up to this intersection (a 4 lane avenue w/ cars whizzing by at 40 mph), I stopped and pushed the button for the crosswalk. As I waited this metalhead w/o a shirt, iirc, a 20stgh dipstick who probably liked Van Halen as I did, thought he was gonna jog thru the crosswalk and make it. He didn't.

I watched him fly up into the windshield of a little Datsun truck. I walked past this scene in the Xwalk and got my merch. Even at 8, I knew he was an idiot. On the way back from the store, the cops had him on the curb and his back was scraped and he was crying. I still can't figure out why this kid did that. I can still envision it in my mind all these years later. And he was lucky because it was only a little Datsun instead of a Ford or Chevy pickup. The windshield was caved in so he might've been crying because he was gonna have to pay for it. But I could've had some guy get killed right in front of me at that age. If that were the case, I really don't think I would've been damaged because of it. I was a little Damien from Omen.

My 9th grade typing class still had old black manual clunkers with the carriage you had to send back to the left and cranking the sheet under the platen bar, etc. White-Out strips to correct mistakes. And then in 10th grade, we graduated to 70s Selectrics which still required White Out strips. But the globe shaped print mechanism was high tech compared to keys and hammers. But our slightly older chums like Mule, Linda, Omar had to type out all their schoolpapers w/ manuals even in college.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2022 10:48 pm    Post subject:

@ Gumby - Funny you mentioned going to the liquor store as an activity. So many of the kids did that growing up. I lived at Bubbles liquor playing Double Dragon or whatever arcade machine they'd have in at the time. It was just something to do. Group of kids getting together hanging out at the liquor store taking turns playing video games. We were all poor so it was a special day when one of us could buy a soda or a candy bar.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2022 11:46 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
@ Gumby - Funny you mentioned going to the liquor store as an activity. So many of the kids did that growing up. I lived at Bubbles liquor playing Double Dragon or whatever arcade machine they'd have in at the time. It was just something to do. Group of kids getting together hanging out at the liquor store taking turns playing video games. We were all poor so it was a special day when one of us could buy a soda or a candy bar.

Playing Street Fighter at the liquor store was my childhood right there. This was how we networked with kids from other schools back in the day. This was way before the era of online games.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2022 11:49 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:

Playing Street Fighter at the liquor store was my childhood right there. This was how we networked with kids from other schools back in the day. This was way before the era of online games.

OG Street Fighter or Street Fighter 2 (the one that REALLY blew up)? SF2 came out in the early 90s...I think 92. I remember the OG Street Fighter on a field trip to Huntington Beach. The class ate at some burger joint on the sand and it had Street Fighter. It was the one with gigantic rubber buttons you could smash with your fists. IIRC, depending on how hard you mashed it you got Jab, Strong, Fierce. It was a 50 cent game so I could only look on in envy.

https://i.redd.it/0ix8oi6ivva11.jpg

Looked it up and, yep, the harder you mauled the button, the harder you punched or kicked. Not a design choice you wanted to make if you valued longevity in your hardware lol.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2022 12:02 am    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:

OG Street Fighter or Street Fighter 2 (the one that REALLY blew up)? SF2 came out in the early 90s...I think 92. I remember the OG Street Fighter on a field trip to Huntington Beach. The class ate at some burger joint on the sand and it had Street Fighter. It was the one with gigantic rubber buttons you could smash with your fists. IIRC, depending on how hard you mashed it you got Jab, Strong, Fierce. It was a 50 cent game so I could only look on in envy.

Looked it up and, yep, the harder you mauled the button, the harder you punched or kicked. Not a design choice you wanted to make if you valued longevity in your hardware lol.

Ah, thats really old school. I never played the original Street Fighter arcade game. But yeah, Street Fighter 2 (the one I was reminiscing about) was more of a 90's memory.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2022 12:21 am    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:

Ah, thats really old school. I never played the original Street Fighter arcade game. But yeah, Street Fighter 2 (the one I was reminiscing about) was more of a 90's memory.

100%. To your point, when SF2 was out, literally every liquor store in So Cal had one. My buddy and I ate, breathed and (bleep) that game for ages. Lo and behold, he stuck with gaming and is now an Executive Producer at a major game publisher.

Time man. Gawd dawg you just never know.
doughboy90650
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2022 6:50 am    Post subject:

Atari 2600 with Space Invaders, Pac-Man and Missile Command. The beginning of youth gambling with video games. Dollar a game. Since I was a nerd, I usta rob them.

Also youth sports was huge. You either banged or balled. Pops made us choose sports. Basically he chose for us. Playing sports brought us closer to pro sports. Showtime Lakers. Hatred of Celtics. Hearns, Hagler, Leonard and Duran. Watching Tyson develop.
hoopschick29
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2022 9:49 am    Post subject:

Showbiz Pizza (before it became Chuck E. Cheese). Met your friends there to play Dungeons and Dragons.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5
Jump to: