Exactly 20 years ago from today, it was the shot that changed everything

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
phantasyman
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 2:43 pm    Post subject: Exactly 20 years ago from today, it was the shot that changed everything

https://www.instagram.com/p/CeBzXPgBLiJ/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link
JUST-MING
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 6:26 pm    Post subject:

Chick Hearn

Marv Albert
J.C. Smith
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 7:40 pm    Post subject:

There have been a lot of great buzzer beaters over the years but that one is probably my favorite.

Kobe's double buzzer beaters against the Suns and Fisher's against the Spurs are also great from the same era but hard to beat that shot given the rivalry at the time and the fact that missing it would have likely doomed their threepeat chances.
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 8:21 pm    Post subject:

That was the loudest I have ever heard Crypto.com arena. We had temporary hearing loss leaving that game.

The Lakers were about to go down 3-1 in the series, never had a single lead in the entire 48 minutes, and this shot evened up the series at 2-2. That made it such a clutch shot. We weren’t going to come back from 3-1.
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 9:16 pm    Post subject:

One thing I would say is if he misses that shot then game 5 isn’t rigged against us, so maybe game 5 is a win. Hard to guess how well the teams play in game 5 though.
Luis5150
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 8:20 am    Post subject:

dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
That was the loudest I have ever heard Crypto.com arena. We had temporary hearing loss leaving that game.

The Lakers were about to go down 3-1 in the series, never had a single lead in the entire 48 minutes, and this shot evened up the series at 2-2. That made it such a clutch shot. We weren’t going to come back from 3-1.

Hard to predict... Lakers had the Blazers on the ropes down 3-1 in the 2000 WCF only to see Portland rally and force a game 7. I think that is how the Lakers/Kings would have played out...it was destined to go 7 no matter what
nevitt_smrek
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2022 10:15 am    Post subject:

The most exciting shot in team playoff history. Realistically it saved the season and the 3peat. They are remembered as a dynasty instead of Rockets-Pistons-Heat level. Big difference.

0.4 ranks up there, but even Fish admits lack of title takes away much of its luster. It might have prevented Sp*rs' best chance at repeating though, so still retains decent value. Kobe's shot vs. Pistons is in similar category.

West's crazy 60 footer didn't even end up with a game win, story of his career.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2022 1:38 pm    Post subject:

nevitt_smrek wrote:
The most exciting shot in team playoff history. Realistically it saved the season and the 3peat. They are remembered as a dynasty instead of Rockets-Pistons-Heat level. Big difference.

0.4 ranks up there, but even Fish admits lack of title takes away much of its luster. It might have prevented Sp*rs' best chance at repeating though, so still retains decent value. Kobe's shot vs. Pistons is in similar category.

If the Lakers had won the title in 2004 there are so many legendary shots that would have made that run.

Kobe's Buzzer Beater vs Portland to give them the favorable first round matchup.
Fisher's 0.4 Second shot to eventually help vanquish the Spurs

And would be getting talked about. Still think if Malone doesn't get injured I think we win in 2004.

And I think if Shaq doesn't pull the "I got hurt on company time, so I'll get treatment on company time." bullcrap that he's never been held accountable for, that we'd have won in 2003.
Batguano
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2022 4:09 am    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
nevitt_smrek wrote:

If the Lakers had won the title in 2004 there are so many legendary shots that would have made that run.

Kobe's Buzzer Beater vs Portland to give them the favorable first round matchup.
Fisher's 0.4 Second shot to eventually help vanquish the Spurs

And would be getting talked about. Still think if Malone doesn't get injured I think we win in 2004.

And I think if Shaq doesn't pull the "I got hurt on company time, so I'll get treatment on company time." bullcrap that he's never been held accountable for, that we'd have won in 2003.

Despite Shaq's "company time" BS, Kobe injuring his shoulder against the Wolves in Round 1, and Lakers not making any trades at the deadline we were arguably still one Robert Horry clutch shot away from 4-peating.

Had that shot not rimmed out it would've put the Lakers up 3-2 in the series and the Spurs would've been so mentally shell-shocked that I don't think they would've recovered to come back and win the series. Because up until that series loss the Lakers were inside their head after what happened in the 2001 and 2002 playoffs (particularly 2002, where the Spurs held a 4th quarter lead in every game only to have the Lakers come back and beat them every time).
Batguano
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2022 4:09 am    Post subject:

*DELETED DUPLICATE POST*

Last edited by Batguano on Sun May 29, 2022 4:10 am; edited 1 time in total
Big Game James
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2022 9:05 am    Post subject:

I've only been to one playoff game in my life. It was this one.

I don't think I want to ever go to another since none could ever match it.
oasisdude77
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2022 8:31 am    Post subject:

Probably my favorite buzzer beater of all time given the circumstances. No way do I think they come back from 3-1 against that Kings team.

What I think I love the most though was Rob's reaction. There was no crazy jumping up and down or losing his crap, which in all honesty, would be totally warranted.

But nah, he just turned around, hands behind his back all calm cool and collected, nodding his head, with a 'yeah, MF'ers, I just made that shot' look on his face while everyone around him went nuts
Trevacious2
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2022 12:07 pm    Post subject:

And Vlade with the assist!

If one scream could raise a roof, that was me watching from home alone that day.
Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2022 3:52 pm    Post subject:

One of those moments I'll never forget. I was on a family vacation in Hawaii. My family and I watched the game before this one in a bar/restaurant with mostly Kings fans and/or Laker haters. We got beat in that one and they enjoyed their moment teasing us. It was weird because Hawaii is usually pretty pro Lakers, but guess they were mostly tourists. For this game I was in our hotel room. I just remember running out onto the balcony and screaming "HORRRYYYYY!". I must've looked insane lol. That night I walked the boardwalk in my Kobe jersey and got daps from Laker fans. Great memory. How time flies.
JUST-MING
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 2:19 pm    Post subject:

Always makes me smile. Just as much as watching those game 7 airballs.

Game 7
(@1h13m) (@1h23m) (@1h29m)
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Exactly 20 years ago from today, it was the shot that changed everything

phantasyman wrote:
https://www.instagram.com/p/CeBzXPgBLiJ/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

shaq went up soft.
cthroatgtr
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 7:11 pm    Post subject:

Great moment in Lakers history, but that isn't the one that changed everything. The Kobe to Shaq alley-oop changed everything. Lakers lose that game, no telling what comes of the dynamic duo, instead that comeback, punctuated by that play, changed the Lakers fortunes.
TDRock
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 7:16 pm    Post subject:

I was watching the game up until the 4th quarter and then I had to drive to a friends house for a dinner party. I was on the 110 listening to Chick on the simulcast and I remember it seemed like all the cars simultaneously swerved for a second because we were all cheering. Folks were honking at each other in celebration. That was an amazing time to be a Laker.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 7:34 pm    Post subject:

Legend has it that Vlade was wearing a Lakers jersey underneath.
scottpot29
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 12:47 pm    Post subject:

JUST-MING wrote:
Chick Hearn

Marv Albert

This is the only occasion where Marv called it better than Chick. I think Chick was stunned Kobe didn't get the foul call and Shaq missed the easy put back. Resigned to the fact the Lakers were about to lose. Then BANG!
scottpot29
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 12:52 pm    Post subject:

A quick funny story about the shot though.

I am watching at my house with my wife and a another couple. The other couple brought their newborn 6 month old baby with them. They liked to watch playoff games with us because as a typical Lakers fan, I can be let's just say "entertaining" to watch during a stressful game. Anyway, my friend is feeding his kid in a highchair and is about a foot from his baby's face when the shot goes in. We all scream at the top of our lungs. My friend is literally screaming that the top of his lungs 1 foot from his kids face. The baby starts freaking out but is in so much shock it can't get a breath in to cry (you know how babies do that). Anyway, the next 3 or 4 minutes is a mixture of screaming from us and the baby screaming from fear.

The kid turned out just fine. An outstanding young man, graduated top of his class. Only thing is he does duck for cover when he hears a loud noise...(kidding).
UKUGA
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2022 4:00 pm    Post subject:

JUST-MING wrote:
Chick Hearn

Marv Albert

I actually heard it on national radio. Jack Durham (RIP), I believe?

Was sitting in the car (outside of church).

Never forget it.

I had attended Game 4 of the Spurs series the prior round. Last Spurs game ever played in the Alamo Dome. Mother's Day.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: