What Are the Worst All Time Lakers Trades?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 1:14 pm    Post subject:

JUST-MING wrote:
Does Danny Green and a first round pick (Desmond Bane) for Dennis Schroder make the list? If that qualifies, then Travis Knight, Glenn Rice and a first round pick (Gilbert Arenas) for Ho Grant should be on the list.

It should. I hated getting Schroeder and Harrell. One could argue the Schroeder trade directly resulted in the Westbrook trade.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 5:17 pm    Post subject:

Cutheon wrote:
JUST-MING wrote:
Does Danny Green and a first round pick (Desmond Bane) for Dennis Schroder make the list? If that qualifies, then Travis Knight, Glenn Rice and a first round pick (Gilbert Arenas) for Ho Grant should be on the list.

It should. I hated getting Schroeder and Harrell. One could argue the Schroeder trade directly resulted in the Westbrook trade.

If lakers trade a 1st to dump Russ they would have used 3 1sts to find a “PG.”
Goldenwest
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 11:19 pm    Post subject:

The Nick trade was a terrible decision - but winning the titles took the sting out of it - still trading your best pg since magic (and best pg since) because of a sarcastic joke that Shaq was too dumb to understand?

The westbrook trade though is way up there - gave away key pieces of a championship team for horrible chemistry that basically sank the lakers - and cost a good coach his job
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 6:29 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Cutheon wrote:
JUST-MING wrote:

If lakers trade a 1st to dump Russ they would have used 3 1sts to find a “PG.”

While they have the PG in LeBron James... Who had already led the team to a championship the year before.

Imagine using the assets wasted on Schroeder/Westbrook to actually make the team better. Getting better 3&D players, getting a mobile stretch 5...

I don't even like to think about it. Makes me angry every damn time.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 6:48 am    Post subject:

All you have to see is Luka play the Lebron/2019-20 role with Vogel's defensive schemes on a team with no AD, no 2nd all-star, no 2nd option, go all the way to WCF. Sure they'll lose to the Warriors (if GST is healthy) in 6 games, but that's a hell of a position you put your star in. That's all you can do. What does Dallas have? Just athletic wings that defend, guys that shoot 3s without hesitation, team chemistry and a lot of size. That's similar to what we had around Lebron but we wasted it away. We also had AD, so that's why we were even in better position than Dallas as we had an elite 2nd player, a legit superstar 2nd option, hence when it clicked you win 16 post season games.

It's all a massive screw up and yet they (FO) put it on Frank Vogel and Westbrook. I actually have come to feel for WB. He doesn't know what he's in for. When the new coach comes in and WB still can't be the guy that takes you to the end, I mean if we're healthy and let WB run all the plays, we may get to that 45-47 win/2 rounds of the playoffs level, when the results are still no title, they're gonna put all the blame on WB.

So long as they have WB, they have a fall guy for next year as well. Making a trade for WB that actually brings in 1-2 role players is harder to do. Takes some real creative/quality management. This means you have to roster build and come up with a smart trade. Nope. Lets put it on the new coach to let Russ be Russ, so that Russ can average a triple double on a 45 win team. Laker legacy.

Honestly since this thread asks the worst trade, I wanna make a thread what was the best non-move. It may have been Kawhi saying no. The rejection forced us to actually roster build, and we had some solid moves. Then when we lost on "elite" coaches like Monty/Lue as they were too expensive, we got a blue collar guy that needed some quality role guys who defended and some defensive anchors in the middle. This forced us to actually roster build around AD/Bron, with guys like McGee/Howard, Green/KCP/Bradley/Caruso etc. IE we actually built a team.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 6:58 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
All you have to see is Luka play the Lebron/2019-20 role with Vogel's defensive schemes on a team with no AD, no 2nd all-star, no 2nd option, go all the way to WCF. Sure they'll lose to the Warriors (if GST is healthy) in 6 games, but that's a hell of a position you put your star in. That's all you can do. What does Dallas have? Just athletic wings that defend, guys that shoot 3s without hesitation, team chemistry and a lot of size. That's similar to what we had around Lebron but we wasted it away. We also had AD, so that's why we were even in better position than Dallas as we had an elite 2nd player, a legit superstar 2nd option, hence when it clicked you win 16 post season games.

I'm not sure that the analogy to Lebron really works, but I understand what you're thinking. The greater point, at least to me, is that the Mavs had a plan and adhered to it. They got rid of Porzingis because he didn't fit with Doncic. They let Doncic do his thing. I give them a puncher's chance against the Warriors in the WCF because of their defense, but really it should be Warriors in five.

We really didn't have a plan, other than getting two stars to play with Lebron. Even after we won the bubble title, we didn't construct a roster that worked well with a coach like Vogel.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 6:59 am    Post subject:

Cutheon wrote:
JUST-MING wrote:

I thought the Schroder trade was a good risk reward gamble, and while he didn’t turn out to be the right guy, he did help carry the team while both the big two were out. But more to the point he didn’t strip the team of assets. And the team was just too gassed to get it done last year. But they were still the best defense in the league. That should have been a signal that a tweak or two gets it done. Monk is a good move. Another scorer to surf the load a little. If they had to panic and trade all the good depth and defense for a guy who everybody else knows has lost his fastball and never really developed any other pitches.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4
Jump to: