What Are the Worst All Time Lakers Trades?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 6:03 am    Post subject: What Are the Worst All Time Lakers Trades?

The Russ trade IMO, will go down as one of the worst trades in Lakers history. Right now, it’s difficult to see the whole picture because we do not know what will be used to trade him out this summer. That would compound the issue even more. But what are some of the worst Lakers trades all time? Some that come to mind for me are:

-Zubac for Beasley/Muscala: we have been looking for a starting center for a few seasons. We gifted the Clips with their future center for two guys who ended up doing nothing for the Lakers.

-Dantley for Haywood: for the new blood, Dantley is a HOFer and was one of the best scorers in the game. It’s crazy that the Lakers actually had him (6 time all star), and Haywood ended up being someone that they kicked off the team. To me this ranks up there as one of the major what ifs…not that I’m complaining because Showtime did alright without Dantley.

-Butler for Kwame: Butler was my guy. Loved him coming into the NBA. Now, big picture, Kwame’s deal was essential to getting Pau, but straight up, this was a major head scratcher. Kobe loved Butler too.

-Nash: on paper, looked like this one would work out. Get Kobe a ball handler (and Nash was an all star close to when he was traded). But he collided with Dame Lillard and was never really healthy again. Lakers gave up 2 future 1sts/2nds.

-Shaq for Butler/Odom/Grant: on paper, Shaq was still pretty dominant, albeit declining. He then went on to win a championship with Wade while the Lakers had to reshuffle the deck to get their new championship core. Odom became instrumental in 2 championship wins, and the Butler contract also led to Kwame who in turn was part of the Pau trade. I don’t see this as a horrific trade the more I step away and see the big picture, but at the time, I know a lot of Lakers fans were upset at the haul (i.e. not getting Wade back as part of the trade) but big picture wise, Dr. Buss correctly chose Kobe over Shaq, and this trade eventually netted us Odom/Pau.

For me, the Russ trade is the #1 worst trade in Lakers history. Second is Dantley for Haywood.
JUST-MING
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 6:18 am    Post subject:

Shaquille O'Neal for Brian Grant, Lamar Odom, Caron Butler and a draft pick

32 year old Shaquille, 7'1" center, the real 2005 MVP, turned a fringe playoff team into a championship team, won nearly 60 games, pushed the defending champions seven games in the conference finals. All-NBA First team. 5 years of All-NBA level play left.

32 year old Brian Grant, 6'9" undersized center with shot knees, albatross contract through 2007 (no money for free agents). He stayed home smoking weed after the trade. $15 million was the highest paid player on the team, he couldn't play with knee tendonitis, when he did play he had no mobility and no impact (at least Kwame Brown had impact on defense). His contract was so bad, the CBA was amended to include an amnesty provision (his albatross contract was not taxed).

25 year old Lamar Odom, 6'10" small forward with no right hand, overpaid and 15% trade kicker. Similar to Andre Drummond, missed layups and rebounded own missed shots. Disappeared like a ghost behind the 3 point arc. Only went left. Led the league in offensive charges. No jumpshot. He was a layup or a three pointer.

24 year old Caron Butler, 6'7" small forward with no handle, expiring rookie contract. He was a one dribble baseline dunk. Two dribbles was a turnover. No jumpshot. No defense. Mostly remembered for that Jay Leno interview. After Rudy 3 quit as head coach, he was showcased for an off-season trade.

Future draft pick was Jordan Farmar, 20 year old 6'2" point guard with court vision and hops. He led a change of pace second unit and was critical in the development of 19 year old 7'0" center Andrew Bynum.

Last edited by JUST-MING on Tue May 10, 2022 6:56 am; edited 1 time in total
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 6:32 am    Post subject:

JUST-MING wrote:
Shaquille O'Neal for Brian Grant, Lamar Odom, Caron Butler and a draft pick

Would you have kept Shaq? Or picked Shaq over Kobe?

I don't think the two could have co-existed after that season. And I can't recall the other reported offers for Shaq either. I took 5 seasons (4 if you include the 2008 NBA Finals that we lost to Boston) for the Lakers to go from trading Shaq to back-to-back championships so I think we did fine.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 7:58 am    Post subject: Re: What Are the Worst All Time Lakers Trades?

yinoma2001 wrote:
The Russ trade IMO, will go down as one of the worst trades in Lakers history. Right now, it’s difficult to see the whole picture because we do not know what will be used to trade him out this summer. That would compound the issue even more. But what are some of the worst Lakers trades all time? Some that come to mind for me are:

-Zubac for Beasley/Muscala: we have been looking for a starting center for a few seasons. We gifted the Clips with their future center for two guys who ended up doing nothing for the Lakers.

-Dantley for Haywood: for the new blood, Dantley is a HOFer and was one of the best scorers in the game. It’s crazy that the Lakers actually had him (6 time all star), and Haywood ended up being someone that they kicked off the team. To me this ranks up there as one of the major what ifs…not that I’m complaining because Showtime did alright without Dantley.

-Butler for Kwame: Butler was my guy. Loved him coming into the NBA. Now, big picture, Kwame’s deal was essential to getting Pau, but straight up, this was a major head scratcher. Kobe loved Butler too.

-Nash: on paper, looked like this one would work out. Get Kobe a ball handler (and Nash was an all star close to when he was traded). But he collided with Dame Lillard and was never really healthy again. Lakers gave up 2 future 1sts/2nds.

-Shaq for Butler/Odom/Grant: on paper, Shaq was still pretty dominant, albeit declining. He then went on to win a championship with Wade while the Lakers had to reshuffle the deck to get their new championship core. Odom became instrumental in 2 championship wins, and the Butler contract also led to Kwame who in turn was part of the Pau trade. I don’t see this as a horrific trade the more I step away and see the big picture, but at the time, I know a lot of Lakers fans were upset at the haul (i.e. not getting Wade back as part of the trade) but big picture wise, Dr. Buss correctly chose Kobe over Shaq, and this trade eventually netted us Odom/Pau.

For me, the Russ trade is the #1 worst trade in Lakers history. Second is Dantley for Haywood.

The 5 you listed are pretty much the standard list you see, along with the Eddie Jones for Glen Rice and the Nick Van Excel for whoever trades.
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 8:09 am    Post subject:

#1 - Russell Westbrook
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 9:29 am    Post subject:

I don't think Caron was that great nor that missed. And that deal lead ultimately to the highway robbery that was Pau, so it's kinda water under the bridge. We all had to suffer Kwame as our price to pay for getting Gasol.

The Perkins for Christie/Benjamin deal stunk because Doug took forever to pan out. And Benoit was a lazy slug, tho he got us Sam Bowie who I appreciate to this day. Seeing Sam pass, block shots, and take oldschool fouls makes me feel the (bleep) he got for going before Mike was unfortunate. Sam was a warrior, he just had chalkbones.

Perk could've won us that 93 Suns miniseries. I would've loved just that much and then a Semis loss to SA/SEA. Got robbed as it was. Don't even get me started.

On a sidenote, no other team I know of tried as hard as the 91-94 Lakers did to scrape into the playoffs. I doubt there's another 3 yr stretch where an 8-9-10 type team didn't tank. In 92 we got into the 8th seed on Threatt's final shot of the RS. In 93, we got in w/ 39 wins. In 94, we were a turrible mix of young and old and a lotto team if there ever was one, but they were still desperately trying to get in again in April of 94 before a homeloss to DEN ended them mathematically. Meanwhile, the 92-94 Drafts had some young guys we coulda feasibly nabbed. The Rockets that the 92 Lakers eliminated in Gm 82 in 92 got Horry at 11.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 9:33 am    Post subject: Re: What Are the Worst All Time Lakers Trades?

yinoma2001 wrote:

A lot of people just don't remember the context of this trade. We were not going to give Butler an extension because we wanted to be able to clear cap space for the 2007 and 2008 plans. So we took a flyer on Kwame, given that we needed a center, and given that Kwame was willing to sign a short contract (three years was short back then).

The nuances have gotten lost over the years. People see it as Butler for Kwame. That's literally true, but there was a lot more going on. If you were a believer in the 2007 and 2008 plans, the trade made sense. I was skeptical, and sure enough the 2007 and 2008 plans bombed. Thankfully, we had Marc Gasol's draft rights, which was the key to the Pau Gasol trade. We got three trips to the Finals, while Memphis got an all-star center for a decade.

So here we are 17 years later, dreaming about free agent plans again. This time, we don't hold the draft rights to a future all-star.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 9:35 am    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
I don't think Caron was that great nor that missed. And that deal lead ultimately to the highway robbery that was Pau, so it's kinda water under the bridge. We all had to suffer Kwame as our price to pay for getting Gasol.

The Perkins for Christie/Benjamin deal stunk because Doug took forever to pan out. And Benoit was a lazy slug, tho he got us Sam Bowie who I appreciate to this day. Seeing Sam pass, block shots, and take oldschool fouls makes me feel the (bleep) he got for going before Mike was unfortunate. Sam was a warrior, he just had chalkbones.

Perk could've won us that 93 Suns miniseries. I would've loved just that much and then a Semis loss to SA/SEA. Got robbed as it was. Don't even get me started.

On a sidenote, no other team I know of tried as hard as the 91-94 Lakers did to scrape into the playoffs. I doubt there's another 3 yr stretch where an 8-9-10 type team didn't tank. In 92 we got into the 8th seed on Threatt's final shot of the RS. In 93, we got in w/ 39 wins. In 94, we were a turrible mix of young and old and a lotto team if there ever was one, but they were still desperately trying to get in again in April of 94 before a homeloss to DEN ended them mathematically. Meanwhile, the 92-94 Drafts had some young guys we coulda feasibly nabbed. The Rockets that the 92 Lakers eliminated in Gm 82 in 92 got Horry at 11.

NZP, what's up!

The interesting thing is that despite some of these trades looking bad on the surface, in the grand scheme of things, a few of them worked out. Dantley, we still had Showtime. Caron/Kwame ended up being Pau. Shaq's pieces ended up eventually being Odom/Pau.

The Russ one, we still haven't seen the exit wound yet. That will probably make it the worst trade IMO.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 9:37 am    Post subject: Re: What Are the Worst All Time Lakers Trades?

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

A lot of people just don't remember the context of this trade. We were not going to give Butler an extension because we wanted to be able to clear cap space for the 2007 and 2008 plans. So we took a flyer on Kwame, given that we needed a center, and given that Kwame was willing to sign a short contract (three years was short back then).

The nuances have gotten lost over the years. People see it as Butler for Kwame. That's literally true, but there was a lot more going on. If you were a believer in the 2007 and 2008 plans, the trade made sense. I was skeptical, and sure enough the 2007 and 2008 plans bombed. Thankfully, we had Marc Gasol's draft rights, which was the key to the Pau Gasol trade. We got three trips to the Finals, while Memphis got an all-star center for a decade.

So here we are 17 years later, dreaming about free agent plans again. This time, we don't hold the draft rights to a future all-star.

It's crazy b/c Marc was not a top pick, was overweight and didn't look like the likely HOFer (b/c that HOF considers international + NBA and other considerations) he has become. Imagine if we had some other chip we could have given Memphis and had both Gasol Bros.
cycl0nus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 9:41 am    Post subject:

the shaq trade. westbrook. jones for rice. jackson could have done wonders for eddie.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 9:48 am    Post subject:

I loved Eddie. My favorite mid 1990s Lakers player. I wonder what we would have done with Eddie and Kobe. Would we have just gone smaller and let Jones or Kobe play the big wing spot? Phil has always had big wing defenders like Pippen, Fox, Ariza, Artest at his disposal. Seems that is something he likes.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: What Are the Worst All Time Lakers Trades?

yinoma2001 wrote:
It's crazy b/c Marc was not a top pick, was overweight and didn't look like the likely HOFer (b/c that HOF considers international + NBA and other considerations) he has become. Imagine if we had some other chip we could have given Memphis and had both Gasol Bros.

I've heard people say this, but in fact he was the MVP of the Spanish league in his last year there.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 10:09 am    Post subject: Re: What Are the Worst All Time Lakers Trades?

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

I've heard people say this, but in fact he was the MVP of the Spanish league in his last year there.

Why was he a 48th pick, especially by that time, Pau was one of the better players in the league too.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 10:11 am    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:

Why wasn’t Caron that good? Made two all stars teams after he was traded. Who was better between him and Odom?

Why didn’t we insist on getting Wade back in the Shaq trade?

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 10:12 am    Post subject:

D’Angelo Russell + Mozgov for Brook Lopez and a pick was pretty bad. Though if we had kept Lopez, we probably would have won that trade.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 10:18 am    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
D’Angelo Russell + Mozgov for Brook Lopez and a pick was pretty bad. Though if we had kept Lopez, we probably would have won that trade.

Magic let Brook and Jules walk for nothing. Unforgiveable.

Brook apparently would have come back to the Lakers (and wanted to) for cheap, and with his Bird rights, we could have kept him for the future. A perfect pick and pop big for LBJ and would have solved all our center who can shoot issues.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 10:49 am    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:

Why wasn’t Caron that good? Made two all stars teams after he was traded. Who was better between him and Odom?

Why didn’t we insist on getting Wade back in the Shaq trade?

I thought Caron was mediocre in 05. My opinion. He didn't wow me at all, not even a bit. Maybe it was just the team w/ a turrible offense w/ Rudy Tutti and then purposely switching back to triangle for Phil's purposes and hence going 2-19 to finish the season. Not an easy season to show a lot and he was definitely not going to sniff the 1A green light permission w/ Kobe on the team. Not all guys were complimentary to Kobe and vice versa. Maybe not the right program for him to thrive here. The next two years, maybe better situations. Happens. EG: Detlef with the Mavs. Not particularly impactful with the Mavs for some reason and he goes to Indy and thrives to the point of being a top 1-2 6MOY type. Chick in 1990 at IND: "How come Dallas couldn't use this guy, Stu?" Another ex is Threatt. I love Sedale so I pay attention to him in old gms vs LAL and I think he had only 1 gm I can recall where he played quite well. Then he gets thrown into Magiic's spot and instantly has the best season of his career and got us into the POs with 2 GW shots in the season (one in Nov at the buzzer in MIA, too). Lakers got into the 8th seed mathematically in Game 82 that year (an OT win vs the superior Clippers where Sedale put us up by 1 pt with a shot over flopping Rivers).

RE: Wade, I personally HIGHLY doubt he was available just for the asking. No way they woulda just lumped him in there for our benefit. Not with knowing that Shaq had the FO by the short n curlies (pubes) with a list of trade destinations. We weren't in the place to demand much. Besides that, Mitch wasn't a good closer.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 11:01 am    Post subject:

Mitch wasn’t behind the Shaq trade, that was Jerry Buss and Pat Riley.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 11:03 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:

Magic let Brook and Jules walk for nothing. Unforgiveable.

Brook apparently would have come back to the Lakers (and wanted to) for cheap, and with his Bird rights, we could have kept him for the future. A perfect pick and pop big for LBJ and would have solved all our center who can shoot issues.

Yeah, he would have solved a lot of our spacing issues. Look at him flourishing on Milwaukee.

Randle went on to be an all star in New York and we couldn't even get a first rounder for him? Ridiculous.

non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 11:05 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

NZP, what's up!

The interesting thing is that despite some of these trades looking bad on the surface, in the grand scheme of things, a few of them worked out. Dantley, we still had Showtime. Caron/Kwame ended up being Pau. Shaq's pieces ended up eventually being Odom/Pau.

The Russ one, we still haven't seen the exit wound yet. That will probably make it the worst trade IMO.

Hey, it's THE DUDE! Sup?

I think Dantley was a bad waste that resulted from the best of intentions. Spencer Haywood was a coke-fueled disaster. He whined about not being passed to enough, but he was butterfingers from what I've seen of him when MAGIC JOHNSON.......would pass to him. Any footage from 1980 where Spencer actually played, he looked like Kwame. And his stats from prior years make me wonder how the hell he racked those up when you watch him in 80. Dude must've been tooting coke in the locker room given the 70s era's reputation. They could've gotten more for AD, but que sera. Sometimes you gamble and lose. Or often you lose.

I've said this before, but I think the MOST destructive whiff in that era that we had was passing over Larry Nance, Sr ONE pick ahead of Mike McGee. To this day, I cannot understand WHY our FO looked at Geeter over Nance and thought, "We gotta have this McGee guy NOW!" I guess Geeter was a bench scorer type, but as bland and average in terms of measurables as could be. If we had taken Nance, there goes the decade long shortness of our PFs. The fact that Kurt and AC were TRU WARIERS got us over the hump most times, but not against McHale and the Twin Towers. We had to bring in Mo Lucas one year. We also depended on rebounding from Mark Landsberger who had hands of stone and zero offense even at rim level. Perhaps (and I don't know for sure) the FO knew they had Kupchak in the bag and weren't looking at PFs, but I got no idea of that. Or even any idea if they considered Nance. Had we drafted him, that's at least 1 extra title, probably 84. It's not so much Larry, Sr's offense, it would've been his defensive presence at 6'11" w/ long arms. At least for some time, if not still, he is/was the all-time shot blocking leader among PFs.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 11:24 am    Post subject:

https://lakeshowlife.com/2022/04/12/los-angeles-lakers-history-worst-trades/
BILBJH
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 11:33 am    Post subject:

All these trades mentioned to try to take attention off our recent debacles.

What's funny is that Haywood was the old school of equivalent of AD... except an even better player who instead of injury prone was a drug addict.

So if Dantley had the drug habit... and Haywood was allowed to statpad in Utah... I'm pretty sure Haywood would have put up bigger numbers.

Kwame for Butler was dumb, but as you said it turned into Pau so no harm no foul

Nash got hurt... Shaq and Kobe couldn't play together.

And Zubac for Muscala although incredibly stupid takes away from the main problem which was trying to trade everyone for stars instead of building a more balanced team.

It was dumb squandering all of our assets for AD... not just the trade itself, but clearing all the space in preparation for the trade... then clearing more space for a Kawhi who was never going to come... and then doubling down with the Russ deal.

The combined moves done recently are stupider than any of these five trades.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 11:37 am    Post subject:

BILBJH wrote:
All these trades mentioned to try to take attention off our recent debacles.

What's funny is that Haywood was the old school of equivalent of AD... except an even better player who instead of injury prone was a drug addict.

So if Dantley had the drug habit... and Haywood was allowed to statpad in Utah... I'm pretty sure Haywood would have put up bigger numbers.

Kwame for Butler was dumb, but as you said it turned into Pau so no harm no foul

Nash got hurt... Shaq and Kobe couldn't play together.

And Zubac for Muscala although incredibly stupid takes away from the main problem which was trying to trade everyone for stars instead of building a more balanced team.

It was dumb squandering all of our assets for AD... not just the trade itself, but clearing all the space in preparation for the trade... then clearing more space for a Kawhi who was never going to come... and then doubling down with the Russ deal.

The combined moves done recently are stupider than any of these five trades.

AD's trade, which directly led to a championship, is in no universe comparable to these trades. The Russ stands on its own feeble legs, b/c it was a bad move then, and it's going to be another bad move to unload him where Rob once again gets out negotiated.
lakersfever714
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 1:48 pm    Post subject:

Only in Lakers history? Tell me a worse trade than the Westbrick's trade in NBA history.
Ksig
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 2:52 pm    Post subject:

lakersfever714 wrote:
Only in Lakers history? Tell me a worse trade than the Westbrick's trade in NBA history.

Well for starters the Rockets traded a (bleep) load to get Russ

"the Thunder received Chris Paul, first-round picks in 2024 and 2026 and the right to swap first-rounders in 2021 and 2025."

Even the Clippers trading their entire future for PG.

Theres a lot of worse trades in nba history, but yeah Russ might be the worst Lakers trade that Ive seen in my lifetime.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4
Jump to: