2022 Lakers Draft News (Lakers pick #35 Max Christie; Undrafted Signings: Shareef O'Neal, Pippen Jr.-2-way, Swider-2-way)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 28, 29, 30

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 8:41 am    Post subject:

Quote:
The New York Knicks and two-way center Jericho Sims have agreed on a new three-year NBA contract, sources tell @TheAthletic @Stadium. Sims averaged 13.5 minutes and 4.1 rebounds in 41 games as a rookie last season, and now earns a standard deal.

Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 8:58 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote:
If you're banging on Rob for not offering an UDFA 3 years before the guy played an NBA minute, well, I think you're just being obstinate because you hate Rob.

My obstinacy re: Rob emanates from the series of margin moves that he is just missing on. You cannot be happy with how he's systematically torn down a 2020 championship team, are you?

You mean the championship team that he put together?

Turnover happens in today's NBA.

GSW just won a chip less than a month ago and at least 8 players - including key contributors like GP II - are already gone.

Raps have 3 players left from their 2019 title team
Lakers have 4 players from their 2020 title team
Bucks have 6 players left from their 2021 title team

Kobe Bryant was on 5 NBA Title teams:

3-peat Lakers had a different starting 5 each season
2-peat Lakers had a different starting 5 each season

Did Rob make questionable moves? Of course - the WB trade is self-evident. Have other GMs? Of course, as well.

Sainted Pat Riley let LeBron get away from the Heat - they should've won 5.

Popovich played hardball with Kawhi and lost, after costing the Spurs a repeat by running Stephen Jackson out of town.

Ainge, Morey - all these guys have good days and bad days.

Pelinka has an old team that was hit by injuries the last 2 seasons (which should have been anticipated) - but he's also won a champioship.
vasashi17+
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 9:11 am    Post subject:

^Unlike the Dubs, Spurs & Miami, the Lakers did not have a title window. All those teams were legit title contenders for yearS. Our totje window popped after the bubble.

Rob is trash in sustaining that window by continuously turning over the roster. If you continuously #marginalizethemargins, that’s what happens.

Rob’s been ass when comes to asset management. I’m surprised there’s so much pushback by folks on this. He needs to get the #FOh already.
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 9:21 am    Post subject:

vasashi17+ wrote:
<snip>

Good time to note that Hardy is a Klutch klient and that Nico is a noob exec. They somehow collaborated to get the kid on a lengthy team friendly deal. Why can’t Rob & Rich do the same.

Hardy didn't want to bet on himself. Most 2nd round picks (and their agents) only want 2 year deals so they can get paid in Year 3. Hardy was stupid, IMO.

Quote:
Also a good time to note that in 2019 we had cap space to get THT and AC on up to a 4yr deal. If we do that, there is no decision to be made between THT and AC last offseason. There is no tax to worry about when addressing players that are not our max players and address the margins.

See above. It was widely reported at the time that THT asked other teams not to draft him so that he'd be there for the Lakers. The flipside was that the Lakers agreed not to give him a 2-way OR an extended contract, but let him get his money in Year 3. THT bet on himself.

As for AC - no one expected him to be a major rotation player in 2019-20. Had Bradley & Rondo not gotten injured, AC was likely 11th or 12th man on the squad.

Quote:
Lastly, @Dr. Laker, trams can roster up to 20 players in the offseason before cutting it down to 15 by opening night. It did not matter that we had to address Marc Gasol in August. We had till October in rostering both Marc & Austin. We did not have to make space by dumping him first.

We had to make space for a standard NBA contract, as well as manage for 2-way deals (you can never have more than 2, regardless of where you are in the calendar). For fringe guys, figuring out who will make the team vs. who gets a 2-way and who gets a G League deal is dicey, which is why there are a flurry of those transactions around training camp. Guys play their way up . . . and play their way down. Reaves played his way up.
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 9:23 am    Post subject:

vasashi17+ wrote:
^Unlike the Dubs, Spurs & Miami, the Lakers did not have a title window. All those teams were legit title contenders for yearS. Our totje window popped after the bubble.

Rob is trash in sustaining that window by continuously turning over the roster. If you continuously #marginalizethemargins, that’s what happens.

Rob’s been ass when comes to asset management. I’m surprised there’s so much pushback by folks on this. He needs to get the #FOh already.

You don't think the Lakers were a serious repeat threat if AD had stayed healthy vs. Phoenix in 20-21?

Also, mid decade Dubs, Spurs & Miami operated under different CBA rules. GS acquisition of KD happened due to a once in generation fluke.
vasashi17+
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 9:43 am    Post subject:

I mean no disrespect cause I appreciate you wanting to have this discussion with me, but I really ain’t going to argue back just for the sake of proving a point, I sincerely feel I already made.

I’ve said my piece and I’m at peace with it. You got your opinion on Rob and so do I. I guess we can just leave it at that. I’m waiving the white flag on this cause I feel we’ll just keep going in circles

Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 9:45 am    Post subject:

vasashi17+ wrote:
I mean no disrespect cause I appreciate you wanting to have this discussion with me, but I really ain’t going to argue back just for the sake of proving a point, I sincerely feel I already made.

I’ve said my piece and I’m at peace with it. You got your opinion on Rob and so do I. I guess we can just leave it at that. I’m waiving the white flag on this cause I feel we’ll just keep going in circles

I am perfectly fine with agreeing-to-disagree! It makes the internet a nicer place.
vasashi17+
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 9:48 am    Post subject:

👍🏼
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 10:38 am    Post subject:

Man, I was enjoying the banter
LakersMD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 10:39 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 10:43 am    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:
vasashi17+ wrote:

I am perfectly fine with agreeing-to-disagree! It makes the internet a nicer place.

Two excellent posters who keep it to the facts and are knowledgeable. Can't ask for any better!
Megaton
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 11:25 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote:
The New York Knicks and two-way center Jericho Sims have agreed on a new three-year NBA contract, sources tell @TheAthletic @Stadium. Sims averaged 13.5 minutes and 4.1 rebounds in 41 games as a rookie last season, and now earns a standard deal.

Ugh pisses me off. I wanted the Lakers to get him bad. I want a new young center to cheer for.

I guess I have it for now with Thomas Bryant since he was originally a Laker. Hope he plays well and stays long term!
Laker4lifer4real
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2022 9:01 pm    Post subject:

"See above. It was widely reported at the time that THT asked other teams not to draft him so that he'd be there for the Lakers. The flipside was that the Lakers agreed not to give him a 2-way OR an extended contract, but let him get his money in Year 3. THT bet on himself.

As for AC - no one expected him to be a major rotation player in 2019-20. Had Bradley & Rondo not gotten injured, AC was likely 11th or 12th man on the squad."

Thank you for the recap. This is true. AC benefitted from AB opting out of the bubble.
vasashi17+
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2022 10:23 pm    Post subject:

^^^
https://tenor.com/bsVJw.gif

So we worked out a wink wink deal with THT where he forced his way to us at #46 knowing he’d get a 2yr vet min deal when we had oodles of cap to get him on a more lucrative deal from the jump. You sure about that? Even after THT confessed he didn’t meet with the Laker contingent thru the whole 2019 draft process.

Quote:
Bill Oram
@billoram

Talen Horton-Tucker says he did not work out for Lakers and did not meet with them at Combine. He has, however, met a couple other players represented by Klutch Sports: LeBron James and Anthony Davis.

I have no idea why this is difficult to follow. I understand building good faith relationships with players so that more players will gravitate to our organization/FO. But we’re talking about 19y/os getting their 1st NBA gig/bag. We’re talking about developmental players coming up our farm system (like AC)….typically we reward them with longterm deals to gain full bird rights on them…and they provide us players we look to continue developing on the margins rounding out our depth. They call it a team friendly deal for a reason. They stipulate at least 3yrs minimum for a player to earn full bird rights with a team for a reason.

They reality is our FO has no finesse when a cap plan is involved. They dumped TB’s 1.5m caphold for the 2018 cap plan. They dumped a RFA Jules after the 2018 cap plan was partially realized with just Bron coming in. They further wtf’d the situation when they stretch-waived Deng AFTER 2018 free agency. They then dumped Zu and his 1.95m cap hold and sent out Svi’s 1.4m cap hold in a trade all in the name of the 2019 cap plan.

We have marginalized the margins and continue to do so, knowing full well that 3max players was our end game and we needed to round out the roster with team friendly deals. If 1yr vet min stopgap deals continuously eloping over from season to season is the best we could do, then do better!

I’ll try to do the same in avoiding further provocation to state matters that I’ve already discussed ad nauseam.
Hanging from Rafters
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2022 11:08 pm    Post subject:

vasashi17+ wrote:

Man I don’t want to say that. I want to be a Laker supporter as a fan and support all Lakers, not just players but the front office, the owners, the coaches, hell even the towel and Gatorade guys 🤗

But…it’s hard when seeing certain things. Signing those 8 guards 6’4” or shorter last year with no one between 6’4” and 6’8” was malpractice. Signing 6 former Lakers all over the hill last year was malpractice. Allowing the change on his watch of Deandre Jordan instead of Drummond, Ariza instead of Morris, Ellington instead of Matthews, Augustine instead of Shroeder…all for about the same dollar amount was malpractice.

At some point we have to see the negative trend and correct it. The trend was somewhat camouflaged after initial mistakes since they could all be blamed on Magic…losing Randle, Lopez, Thomas Bryant, and Zubac. Also the overpay of AD resulted in a championship which may have kept that overpay from being exposed as a mistake. Trading for Shroeder and adding Trez seemed like good additions but only kept us from seeing the mistake of losing Dwight, Magee and Rondo.

I don’t know what the answer is, maybe we can get a VP of basket ball ops to oversee the signings to block the mistakes while keeping Rob involved to take advantage of his strengths. Maybe just time to move on. Perhaps if he pulls of a decent Kyrie deal we continue to roll with him with expectations of growth learning from mistakes.
ThePageDude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2022 5:09 am    Post subject:

vasashi17+ wrote:

They reality is our FO has no finesse when a cap plan is involved.

Preach brother.
vasashi17+
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2022 11:03 am    Post subject:

ThePageDude wrote:
vasashi17+ wrote:

They reality is our FO has no finesse when a cap plan is involved.

Preach brother.

https://i.gifer.com/LbZC.gif

That’s footage of our FO purging players/contracts in the name of the hole-y cap plan. It led to 1 champion-ship that couldn’t stay afloat in the years to come. #Cap-sized

I’ll sea my wayve out now 👋
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2022 5:44 am    Post subject:

Yeah I once gave Rob the B.O.D. but now not so much. He's not good at managing the small moves and eventually they all come together and end up being as damaging as a big move.

These mistakes with the cap, and letting certain smaller level players go, it's all added up. The Lakers are dire of trade assets and players outside of the big 3. Tough position as the big 3 aren't really an athletic in their prime big 3 that can win 50 games by themselves. That would have been possible in 2017, not 2023.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
DLaker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2022 5:43 am    Post subject:

Just have to give props to our front office for finding players that can play. Reeves last year and maybe Cole this year. As far as Christie, you can see he will develop well once he grow to his body, his defensive length and instinct looks to be there already. Have to also give props to Scotty jr, McCoy, Huff, O’Neal, Jones and Mcclung (GS now). All undrafted. If not for LBJ in the club and our small championship window, I would not mind seeing, how some of the youth we now currently have develop.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 28, 29, 30
Page 30 of 30
Jump to: