Head Coach Mr. DARVIN HAM Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 275, 276, 277  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 1:24 pm    Post subject:

Outspoken wrote:
epic_ wrote:
https://mobile.twitter.com/TheAthletic/status/1526215909769101314

Next coach being asked about how to maximize Westbrook.
Makes sense in case the Lakers can't make a deal for WB.

But what does maximizing low bball iq look like?

I think Westbrook could excel in a better system. To me, I do think he needs to work harder on his shot. I don't understand being in the league this long, and not having a shot. If he had a shot, it would open up so much for him. Also, slow down his pace and survey the floor. I think if we had an assistant or coach in Rondo, he could help him with that, but I think last season he didn't have a role, and it changed all the time. If he sticks around, I think solidifying a role that maximizes his strength would do Lakers justice.

WB's had a lot of time to develop a shot, slow down, and develop pace. He isn't going to change his approach. The only WB system that works is essentially a LeBron-ball style system where you give him a screen-setting center, shooters, and have 4 guys box out for him to grab boards so he can spring a fast break and/or find a shot in semi-transition. But that doesn't work when your roster includes LBJ/AD.
hydrohead
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 2:02 pm    Post subject:

epic_ wrote:

Can’t figure out if it’s the trick question make-or-break interview question.

if the latter, when is the Scott Brooks presser?

Last edited by hydrohead on Mon May 16, 2022 2:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ksig
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 2:08 pm    Post subject:

Cutheon wrote:
Outspoken wrote:
epic_ wrote:

I think Westbrook could excel in a better system. To me, I do think he needs to work harder on his shot. I don't understand being in the league this long, and not having a shot. If he had a shot, it would open up so much for him. Also, slow down his pace and survey the floor. I think if we had an assistant or coach in Rondo, he could help him with that, but I think last season he didn't have a role, and it changed all the time. If he sticks around, I think solidifying a role that maximizes his strength would do Lakers justice.

WB's had a lot of time to develop a shot, slow down, and develop pace. He isn't going to change his approach. The only WB system that works is essentially a LeBron-ball style system where you give him a screen-setting center, shooters, and have 4 guys box out for him to grab boards so he can spring a fast break and/or find a shot in semi-transition. But that doesn't work when your roster includes LBJ/AD.

Russ isnt going to improve or change anything. This season showed that.

The only role Russ will do well in is when he has the ball in his hands 24/7 and is allowed to make as many mistakes as he wants. If you do that then Russ will get his triple doubles and you'll also hardcap yourself as a .500 first round exit.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 2:10 pm    Post subject:

Outspoken wrote:
epic_ wrote:

The problem is that Westbrook can't play the role the Lakers need because of his low basketball IQ, diminishing athleticism, lack of a shot, and inability to adjust his game.

It's not like you can implement a system that calls for a 3-and-d point guard and think the system will allow Westbrook to become something he's not.
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 2:35 pm    Post subject:

Russ sucks. No coach can fix that.

Even if he does OK offensively (he'll never be GOOD because he can't shoot), he's absolutely atrocious on defense.
joeblow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 2:39 pm    Post subject:

danzag wrote:

Even if he does OK offensively (he'll never be GOOD because he can't shoot), he's absolutely atrocious on defense.

Exactly. Honest question.... would Jason Kidd want Westbrook on this season's Mavs team or not in place of any of their next six best players after Luka?
lakersfan32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 3:00 pm    Post subject:

so no coach rondo? or will jeanie hire him anyways? lol
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 3:17 pm    Post subject:

danzag wrote:

Better to sell on the idea to teams that Westbrook can play better in a different situation then coming out in public and telling the world that Westbrook can’t change his ways.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 4:37 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
epic_ wrote:

Coming off the bench when LBJ sits. Start Nunn who is a better shooter.

It will make a hell of a 45 win team if maximize Westrbook.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 7:24 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
epic_ wrote:

Coming off the bench when LBJ sits. Start Nunn who is a better shooter.

It will make a hell of a 45 win team if maximize Westrbook.

They're asking the coaching candidates if they can turn a frog into a prince, while keeping the King happy. Sure, that screams "sign me up".
phantasyman
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 8:02 pm    Post subject:

Get Popovich
phantasyman
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 8:03 pm    Post subject:

Hire Larry Brown
Lamar's Bud
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 9:34 pm    Post subject:

lakersfan32 wrote:
so no coach rondo? or will jeanie hire him anyways? lol

Rondo allegedly pulls gun on woman.

LINK
Quote:
A woman has accused NBA point guard Rajon Rondo of threatening her with a gun in front of her children during an altercation in her Louisville, Kentucky home, according to multiple reports.

TMZ and ESPN reported on Monday that the woman filed for an emergency protective order on Friday, claiming that she fears for hers and her children's safety while citing a history of "volatile, erratic (and) explosive behavior" from Rondo. Per the reports, a judge granted the request, ordering Rondo to remain 500 feet away from the woman and her children and to temporarily surrender any firearms to the Jefferson County Sheriff.

TMZ reports that Rondo has not been arrested, charged or named a suspect in a crime. Rondo hasn't addressed the allegation publicly. His representatives didn't respond to TMZ and ESPN requests for comment.

Even if this isn't true, this may not bode well for any chances of HC Rondo now, or probably ever.

While there's little doubt about his basketball acumen, he doesn't seem like someone an NBA team would hire as HC without any kind of prior seasoning/experience first.
Sojo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 7:10 am    Post subject:

Man, I don't know what it is, but game management via coaching (from watching the playoffs) has been horrible.

I feel like coaching in this league has really gone backwards as of late and I'm not sure what's to blame for that (or what combo of things).
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 8:38 am    Post subject:

Sojo wrote:
Man, I don't know what it is, but game management via coaching (from watching the playoffs) has been horrible.

I feel like coaching in this league has really gone backwards as of late and I'm not sure what's to blame for that (or what combo of things).

The issue is the 3 point shot reliance. It gives you too much variance. If you 3 pointers are on, you can be a great defensive team and have all the right schemes but the 3 pointers being say 8 for 10 on those tight close out looks vs 2 for 10 makes a difference of 18 points. 18 points is a lot.

What we do see consistently right now is that if you have wing defenders, you will win. The Mavs had Bullock/Smith and they were really valuable in this series, much like when we had KCP/Green/Carsuo in our ring run.

Boston, they also have a lot of wings with Smart, Tatum, Brown.

What these wings can do, is neutralize a little those 3 point shooters and those wings that can go off on you. Milwaukee last year won too with Giannis, Middleton, Jrue, Allen - a lot of guys that can defend the 3 point line and wings there.

So basically from what I see right now in the NBA, if you give yourself a great shot at defending wings and the 3 point shot with your wings/perimeter defenders, you have a shot in the playoffs.

Of course the Warriors at full throttle likely beat that, because the star power/weapons they have is just too much, but even them, if they have their share of solid wing/perimeter defenders now with Klay, Wiggins, Green, Kuminga.

You see when I watch these teams it irks me so I turn it off. We literally had all the pieces to be competitive with some tweaks like adding a Monk type scorer, and some more depth at the wing. We had these same wing and perimeter depth and went back 10-20 years to outdated basketball blue print where players like Westbrook could attack the paint relentlessly and the 3 point shot was not as important. We gained in attacking the paint off the dribble, but lost all wing/perimeter defense, the exact things that you need to win in the playoffs or match up with good teams in the NBA. Anyway, I'm beating a dead horse.

Last edited by wolfpaclaker on Tue May 17, 2022 8:42 am; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 8:40 am    Post subject:

Laker FO really underestimating how little fans want to see Russ back on the court. And i would think the team as well. His play will likely be even worse than last year. The first time he misses a point blank layup i can already hear the groaning.

They already had no pulse for the NBA in general but to not have it for your own team and fans is a new nadir.
Lonzo-Lite
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 9:09 am    Post subject:

Shams saying Mitch Kupchack Hornets will be interviewing Terry Stotts and Darwin Ham for a second time, which are supposedly the 2 front-runners for the Lakers head coach position. Meanwhile the Lakers just twiddle their thumbs.

https://twitter.com/shamscharania/status/1526610106393284608?s=21
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 9:20 am    Post subject:

If I were Ham, I might be more interested in he Hornets job. Following the path Green took in New Orleans should have more appeal than what we just saw Vogel endure. With Pelinka on the clock, it might even be worse than that, since you never want to be the inherited coach for a new GM. LA has title aspirations without the roster or GM to match, while the Hornets will love you if you get into the playoffs and take a couple games. The Hornets might pay better too .
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 9:44 am    Post subject:

Laker's Fan wrote:
If I were Ham, I might be more interested in he Hornets job. Following the path Green took in New Orleans should have more appeal than what we just saw Vogel endure. With Pelinka on the clock, it might even be worse than that, since you never want to be the inherited coach for a new GM. LA has title aspirations without the roster or GM to match, while the Hornets will love you if you get into the playoffs and take a couple games. The Hornets might pay better too .

Our next coach would need a miracle to make it 3 seasons. Vogel barely did and he won a championship. Our coaching position makes a lot more sense for last chance guys like Stotts and Jackson than it does for a guy like Ham.
E_Wulf420
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 11:29 am    Post subject:

MDA might help making our offense look better than it did last year
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 11:39 am    Post subject:

So method operation for these two franchises:

1. Washington - Sign Laker prospects or trade with Lakers
2. Charlotte - Interview whoever the Lakers are interviewing

ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 1:14 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
The Charlotte Hornets are planning to conduct a second interview with Golden State Warriors assistant Kenny Atkinson for the franchise’s head coaching job, sources tell ESPN.

Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 1:32 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
Quote:
The Charlotte Hornets are planning to conduct a second interview with Golden State Warriors assistant Kenny Atkinson for the franchise’s head coaching job, sources tell ESPN.

Hornets want the candidates that we are supposedly trying to get, the only difference is they get the guy we haven’t interviewed yet and that is MDA.
RestEasyBlackMamba
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 1:40 pm    Post subject:

Kurt Rambis will step up to the plate and name himself coach. He will say he's the only one that can utilize RW.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 2:06 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
ocho wrote:
Quote:

Hornets want the candidates that we are supposedly trying to get, the only difference is they get the guy we haven’t interviewed yet and that is MDA.

Mitch’s revenge.

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 275, 276, 277  Next
Page 18 of 277
Jump to: