DARVIN HAM has been dismissed
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 320, 321, 322, 323, 324  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Day
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2024 5:03 pm    Post subject:

They just decided to completely clean house for the next head coach, that doesn't mean they couldn't bring back on Handy if that's what they want.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2024 5:06 pm    Post subject:

Day wrote:
They just decided to completely clean house for the next head coach, that doesn't mean they couldn't bring back on Handy if that's what they want.

The LA Times literally reported that they decided to part ways with him, not sure how they can bring him back after canning him
Brawn13
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2024 5:06 pm    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
Runway8 wrote:
Halflife wrote:
Wilbon had an interesting perspective on firing

Stuff like "Darvin Ham is a helluva coach.." tells me I don't need to listen to rest of what they have to say, just like they didn't need to watch our basketball games, which they obviously didn't.

stats don't lie. He took a lottery team to the WCF finals. Only team to ever beat a Hamm coached team in the playoffs are the nuggets.

I know reality is tough, especially when he wants players to be held accountable. On the to 4th in 6.

The players got us there in spite of him. With a better coach we probably beat Memphis and warriors in 5 games each.

And with a better coach we are absolutely not the 7th seed going into the playoffs this year. Ham deserves all the criticism he gets. He is the biggest reason we underperformed collectively as a team
mhan00
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2024 5:17 pm    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
Runway8 wrote:
Halflife wrote:

Stuff like "Darvin Ham is a helluva coach.." tells me I don't need to listen to rest of what they have to say, just like they didn't need to watch our basketball games, which they obviously didn't.

stats don't lie. He took a lottery team to the WCF finals. Only team to ever beat a Hamm coached team in the playoffs are the nuggets.

I know reality is tough, especially when he wants players to be held accountable. On the to 4th in 6.

We clearly could compete with the Nuggets. It’s an indictment on Ham we lost 11 in a row to them, most games in the exact same way.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2024 5:20 pm    Post subject:

I love how the media guys forget Ham was 2-10 and 12th in the West, under .500 just like the previous season until Pelinka moved future assets for DLO, Vandy, Rui. We gave up about 3 seconds and a FRP 2027 plus got rid of cancers like Westbrook and Beverly. Once we did that the team began to play well. While Westbrook and Bev were on the team, Ham continually went to them and 3 guard lineups that sucked. The way we used Bev was a lot like the way we used Reddish.

It’s as if these guys don’t do much research at all. Or just don’t follow or forget all the games they watch. Ham did not take the same team …. DLO, Dennis, Rui, Vandy, Beasley were all added to the team. Much better team.

And beating Memphis and State (2 lottery teams) this year shows how fortunate that run was. This year the West is much better. Memphis didn’t make it, State was lottery. The way we were last year, this year I don’t see us surpassing any team without HCA aside from the Clippers. There are a lot of good teams in the West. Based on what I’ve seen I don’t think the top teams this year are as prone to defeats vs last year with Memphis State Kings etc

Last edited by wolfpaclaker on Fri May 03, 2024 5:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
nutella
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2024 5:25 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
Day wrote:

The LA Times literally reported that they decided to part ways with him, not sure how they can bring him back after canning him

Wasn't Handy let go of when Vogel was fired? I really think letting him go now is better than keeping him under contract (he still gets paid). By the time we have a new HC, and if he's not found a new position, I'm sure there can be more discussion.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2024 5:36 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
@LakersDailyCom
SOURCES: When Reaves, Russell and even Hachimura were benched for a lineup of Prince, Reddish, Vanderbilt, James and Davis, that was the moment many lost faith in Ham altogether
https://twitter.com/LakersDailyCom/status/1786475817427513576

You mean that mid-December to mid-January stretch that sabotaged both DLO and Reaves for Reddish and Prince and cost us a 50+ win year? ... Gee... OF COURSE....

Quote:

@AhnFireDigital
Report: Several Lakers were ‘taken aback’ when Darvin Ham chose to start Taurean Prince
https://ahnfiredigital.com/nba/lakers/report-several-lakers-were-taken-aback-when-darvin-ham-chose-to-start-taurean-prince/
https://twitter.com/AhnFireDigital/status/1786543093719683453

Trust...we all were.
Bron2AD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2024 5:40 pm    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
Runway8 wrote:
Halflife wrote:

Only agenda driven idiots from inner city think that
Hammett
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2024 5:51 pm    Post subject:

Hit the road, Jack. And dontcha come back...
Nnamdi21
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2024 6:05 pm    Post subject:

Bron2AD wrote:
Halflife wrote:
Runway8 wrote:
Halflife wrote:

Only agenda driven idiots from inner city think that

Lakers recored on Feb 9th during Vogel's last year 26-30
Lakers record on Feb 9th the day they traded for dlo/vanderbilt/Rui 26-31

I think the trajectory was the same for Ham as Vogel's lottery 2021-22 team.
Megaton
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2024 5:11 am    Post subject:

Good (bleep) riddance.

He truly belongs in the top 3 worst Lakers coaches of all time, and all were within the last 10 years.

Byron Scott
Luke Walton
Darvin Ham

I still think worst of all time was definitely Byron Scott. But I'm gonna make Ham as number 2 now ahead of Walton. I think Walton would have at least tried out Max Christie maybe? But man that is really close.
lakersfan8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2024 6:45 am    Post subject:

Ham would be the right coach for a young team who is not playing for championship. That was the situation when he was hired initially.

I would also give credit to what the team had achieved during last year's playoff run. It showed he was capable of making the right pre-game adjustment.

However, this year, when people's expectations are higher. His incompetency at other areas of coaching began to appear.

I was very against firing Vogel but firing Ham is inevitable if we want to compete.
JUST-MING
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2024 6:57 am    Post subject:

mhan00 wrote:

We clearly could compete with the Nuggets. It’s an indictment on Ham we lost 11 in a row to them, most games in the exact same way.

When the next head coach can’t beat the eventual champion Nuggets, will we show him the door as well?
Laker7
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2024 7:36 am    Post subject:

Oh woah is Ham. He had such a good record. He should not have been fired.

(bleep)!

Lakers regular season record this season against:

Nuggets 0-3
Kings 0-4
Wolves 1-3
Mavericks 1-2
Clippers 2-2
Suns 3-2
Thunder 3-1

Record against teams that finished above the Lakers 10-17.

That is Ham's record against good teams that finished above the Lakers. He needs to own it as well.
mad55557777
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2024 8:26 am    Post subject:

Laker7 wrote:
Oh woah is Ham. He had such a good record. He should not have been fired.

(bleep)!

Lakers regular season record this season against:

Nuggets 0-3
Kings 0-4
Wolves 1-3
Mavericks 1-2
Clippers 2-2
Suns 3-2
Thunder 3-1

Record against teams that finished above the Lakers 10-17.

That is Ham's record against good teams that finished above the Lakers. He needs to own it as well.

To be fair, the kings finished below us and if you replace the kings with the pelicans(3-1), his record would be 13-14, and we are actually 3-1 vs the clippers, not 2-2, so his record is actually 14-13 against teams finished above which is actually great for the 7th seed.
This was not the reason he was fired, his coaching was not there at the time when we needed
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2024 8:33 am    Post subject:

His firing is attributed to remarks made by Anthony Davis.
Quote:
Davis had said after the Game 2 loss that he felt the team goes through stretches where they "don't know what we're doing", which was taken as an indirect shot at Ham. Ham then responded when asked about Davis' comments by saying he disagreed and that he believes the coaching staff is always organized.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
lakersfever714
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2024 8:44 am    Post subject:

When Vogel had AD this healthy, he finished with a 73% winrate and won the championship. Ham has grossly been underperformed if you go by those metrics.

There's zero excuse for Ham imo. Bron and AD were mostly responsible for the 2020 championship so the different supporting casts should not have altered the performance of the team by that much.
Sina
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2024 8:55 am    Post subject:

I feel sad for coach Ham. He works so hard and has led the fluctuated Lakers to WCF last year. And many players have showed continuous improvement under his coach.

Injuries are a big factor of the failure. If we could have a healthy Vanderbilt, we may have a shot in beating Nuggets. And things could be different.

Thanks coach Ham and wish you every success in the future!
JosephFerano
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2024 9:09 am    Post subject:

Sina wrote:
Injuries are a big factor of the failure. If we could have a healthy Vanderbilt, we may have a shot in beating Nuggets. And things could be different.

This is exactly how I feel. Given how Rui and DLo were mostly no shows, you sub any of them out for the Tazmanian devil that is Vando, you get the same level of offensive production (10 or so points), but you get greatly enhanced POA defense and rebounding. Had Vando been the one guarding Murray on those last possessions of games 2 and 5, I think we would have had 2 overtime periods in the series...
oaktown_dimond
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2024 9:39 am    Post subject:

i mean the Lakers are AD's team. you go at him, even if you are the coach... you risk a pink slip.

jodeke wrote:
Quote:
Davis had said after the Game 2 loss that he felt the team goes through stretches where they "don't know what we're doing", which was taken as an indirect shot at Ham. Ham then responded when asked about Davis' comments by saying he disagreed and that he believes the coaching staff is always organized.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2024 9:56 am    Post subject:

At least 1 of our many problems is now fixed.
lakersfever714
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2024 10:03 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
At least 1 of our many problems is now fixed.

Not yet. We can't assume that the next HC would be better than Ham though. Lets wait and see first.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2024 10:11 am    Post subject:

lakersfever714 wrote:
kikanga wrote:
At least 1 of our many past problems is now fixed.

Not yet. We can't assume that the next HC would be better than Ham though. Lets wait and see first.

Good call I edited it. A new coach could be worse. But the fear of that, isn't enough reason to keep Ham.

Now lets make sure we get a coach and coaching philosophy that matches a new roster (that can beat Denver).
lakersfever714
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2024 10:38 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
lakersfever714 wrote:
kikanga wrote:
At least 1 of our many past problems is now fixed.

Good call I edited it. A new coach could be worse. But the fear of that, isn't enough reason to keep Ham.

Now lets make sure we get a coach and coaching philosophy that matches a new roster (that can beat Denver).

Vogel would be best qualified since he's proven he could beat the Nuggets with a good roster like this, assuming Ishbia fires Vogel since he wasn't too thrilled with the Suns early playoff exit.
Megaton
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2024 10:41 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Quote:

You mean, remarks literally every Laker fan with a brain has been saying for 2 years?
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 320, 321, 322, 323, 324  Next
Page 321 of 324
Jump to: