DARVIN HAM has been dismissed
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 308, 309, 310 ... 322, 323, 324  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JUST-MING
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2024 7:42 pm    Post subject:

I disagree. The “younger” players on the team didn’t like Darvin. Maxwell Lewis was probably the most open about it.
miggz23
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2024 7:43 pm    Post subject:

NMLaker wrote:
How is this dude not fired yet?

Not sure they fire him until they're 100% knows what Lebron is going to do this offseason.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:01 pm    Post subject:

Lakersfan1211 wrote:
Quote:
Where Will Darvin Ham Be Head Coach Game 1 Of The 2024/2025 Season, per
@BovadaOfficial

Not A Head Coach For Game 1: -1400
Milwaukee Bucks: +600
Detroit Pistons: +900
Charlotte Hornets: +950
Chicago Bulls: +1600
Portland Trail Blazers: +2500
Phoenix Suns: +2500

He's better off coaching a young squad like the Hornets or Blazers.

Imagine firing a legendary coach like Doc (not that he deserves that status) for this clown.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
blackmamba08
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2024 3:00 am    Post subject:

He is still the coach?
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2024 5:15 am    Post subject:

miggz23 wrote:
NMLaker wrote:
How is this dude not fired yet?

Not sure they fire him until they're 100% knows what Lebron is going to do this offseason.

They caught a lot of well deserved flak for firing Vogel in the media before he got back to the locker room after his final game. It’s not a big deal if they take a few days or weeks. We aren’t going to have a new coach for months.
BigBallerBrand
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2024 5:16 am    Post subject:

Who do we want ideally? I just read that literally every coach LeBron has had got fired except for Spo…Lue never got fired with LeBron right
Cyberfreak444
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2024 5:35 am    Post subject:

BigBallerBrand wrote:
Who do we want ideally? I just read that literally every coach LeBron has had got fired except for Spo…Lue never got fired with LeBron right

This is false. Mike Brown got fired the summer that LeBron left. Spoelstra never got fired. Lue got fired from Cleveland after LeBron left.

I'd say the only coach LeBron actively appealed to have fired was David Blatt (turned out to be the right decision). Maybe you could put Luke Walton on him but it really seemed he was more ambivalent than anything. I think putting Frank Vogel on him is unfair when it really seemed that was to appease Westbrook and for Pelinka to save face after putting together a geriatric roster.

As for Darvin Ham, it feels like all the players want him gone. And not just the players, even guys that work for the team like Mike Trudell, Pete Zayas, and Darius Soriano can barely contain their displeasure with him. And even national media guys like Kevin O'Connor and Zach Lowe have discussed in detail how bad he's been. He's a flagrantly incompetent coach and should have been fired months ago.
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2024 5:39 am    Post subject:

BigBallerBrand wrote:

Does it really matter? No HC will withstand the scrutiny put on him by the situation.

Old school, player friendly, defensive or offensive genius, etc. Lakers and previous teams have tried them all and they are the ones that take the blame.

So sure, fire Ham it is obviously his fault. Same as it will be the next scapegoats fault.
kfkilla
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2024 6:07 am    Post subject:

Four Decade Bandwagon wrote:
BigBallerBrand wrote:

Does it really matter? No HC will withstand the scrutiny put on him by the situation.

Old school, player friendly, defensive or offensive genius, etc. Lakers and previous teams have tried them all and they are the ones that take the blame.

So sure, fire Ham it is obviously his fault. Same as it will be the next scapegoats fault.

While I definitely think a lot of this year was on Ham, there is a lot of truth here. Coaches have philosophical beliefs. Ham clearly wanted a POA defender like Holiday and a Chris Middleton type SF. The FO gave him Dlo and TP. Then Ham spent a huge majority of time trying to work around those issues to get something approximating what he truly wanted. The same happened with Vogel. Take a defensive coach and gave him zero defensive players.

I have a feeling that being an NBA executive / coach is like most other things in life. Completely based off randomness more so than merit.
Kobetan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2024 6:32 am    Post subject:

As bad as Ham was with the rotations and general feel for the game, what concerns me the most is his lack of accountability. Nothing ever seems to be his fault, it's always either the players or injuries.

Just wow.
Cyberfreak444
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2024 6:41 am    Post subject:

What kind of a coach publicly states that one of his players shat the bed for 10 games straight?

Once you say something like that you are asking to get fired. Now all three of Dlo, Reaves, and Rui could reasonably believe he was talking about them. So the team's third, fourth, and fifth best players are not going to be advocating for him to stay.

And the irony of Ham's comments is that there were starters he had personal connections with from his Atlanta days (Cam Reddish and Taurean Prince) who actually played badly for far more than 10 straight games. And yet Ham waited until months later to finally move them to the bench.
lakersfever714
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2024 7:00 am    Post subject:

Kobetan wrote:
As bad as Ham was with the rotations and general feel for the game, what concerns me the most is his lack of accountability. Nothing ever seems to be his fault, it's always either the players or injuries.

Just wow.

I've never seen anyone like that. Usually, the players and coaches always say the right things and only say what people want to hear. At least, Ham is brutally honest. I'll give him that.
lakersfever714
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2024 7:04 am    Post subject:

Again, why would you bring a rookie HC into a team that's contending for a championship? If we didn't have Lebron and AD and we were tanking, then Ham or any coach would have made sense.

I want answers! I want the truth!!
blackmamba08
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2024 8:44 am    Post subject:

lakersfever714 wrote:
Again, why would you bring a rookie HC into a team that's contending for a championship? If we didn't have Lebron and AD and we were tanking, then Ham or any coach would have made sense.

Maybe because he was cheap option? Jeannie does not want to spend on coaches is well known. Comparing him to other top HC he is quite cheap
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2024 9:01 am    Post subject:

lakersfever714 wrote:

He’s only lost to the nuggets. But who were the options. I don’t think this is a great job. The coach and deep on the bench players are the only ones held accountable. Unless you need the money you probably aren’t taking it.
lakersfever714
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2024 9:08 am    Post subject:

blackmamba08 wrote:
lakersfever714 wrote:

Maybe because he was cheap option? Jeannie does not want to spend on coaches is well known. Comparing him to other top HC he is quite cheap

That doesn't make much sense. Getting the best coach possible would improve the team's chances of winning a championship which would bring in much more money than spending on a headcoach.

So if Jeanie likes money and she understands the economics, then she would have hired the best possible HC regardless of the price tag.

I could coach for free. Does that mean Jeanie would hire me?

Last edited by lakersfever714 on Wed May 01, 2024 9:10 am; edited 1 time in total
Cyberfreak444
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2024 9:10 am    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
lakersfever714 wrote:

He’s only lost to the nuggets. But who were the options. I don’t think this is a great job. The coach and deep on the bench players are the only ones held accountable. Unless you need the money you probably aren’t taking it.

There are 30 NBA head coach jobs. That's it. This is the highest level of basketball in the world. There are plenty of coaches that would take this job. It's on the Lakers to attract the best ones amongst them with a competitive salary offer.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2024 9:14 am    Post subject:

Cyberfreak444 wrote:
Halflife wrote:
lakersfever714 wrote:

There are 30 NBA head coach jobs. That's it. This is the highest level of basketball in the world. There are plenty of coaches that would take this job. It's on the Lakers to attract the best ones amongst them with a competitive salary offer.

Do you think the face of the franchise is coachable?
RI Laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2024 9:29 am    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
Lakersfan1211 wrote:
Quote:
Where Will Darvin Ham Be Head Coach Game 1 Of The 2024/2025 Season, per
@BovadaOfficial

Not A Head Coach For Game 1: -1400
Milwaukee Bucks: +600
Detroit Pistons: +900
Charlotte Hornets: +950
Chicago Bulls: +1600
Portland Trail Blazers: +2500
Phoenix Suns: +2500

He's better off coaching a young squad like the Hornets or Blazers.

Imagine firing a legendary coach like Doc (not that he deserves that status) for this clown.

LEGENDARY and Doc do not belong in the same sentence.
Triumph
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2024 9:37 am    Post subject:

quartzcharm wrote:
WC13 wrote:
And has this been discussed?

Ham quote: "If you're coaching a team and one of your starters is like 10 games in a row, just s--tting the bed, what are you going to do?"

It's pretty easy to deduce who Ham is talking about if it's a starter. It's going to be one of three guys: DLo, Reaves, or Prince. It's obvious it's not DLo, simply because of his blind love for the bum and all the time he gave DLo vs. Denver when DLo was basically useless. It's probably not Prince because let's be honest: Prince is a solid 3 and D guy and not expected to be an all-star caliber player that you can blame the struggles of the team on.

That leaves Austin Reaves. And Reaves took accountability for not playing as well as he could have vs. Denver. In fairness, AR didn't get the same break that everyone else got because he was with the US select team. So I can't be as hard on him overall.

But for Ham to call out a player like that...Ham can GTFO of here.

I thought it was obvious that he was talking about D'Lo.

D'Lo is the only starter that had a really poor stretch of 10 straight games, this happened in December.

https://www.yardbarker.com/nba/articles/dangelo_russell_has_only_one_game_in_december_with_more_points_than_shot_attempts/s1_16751_39710263

D'Lo and Ham do not like each other. D'Lo accused Ham of playing favorites by playing Dennis over him last season and not having open communication because Ham preferred Dennis since he coached him before on the Hawks. Just like Ham preferred Cam and Prince (over Rui and Christie) because he coached them before on the Hawks.
Triumph
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2024 9:44 am    Post subject:

The nice thing about the 2020 season with Vogel was that he also had a pretty good assistant coach in Jason Kidd so they could make up for each other's shortcomings. And we also had great locker room guys like Rondo, Jared Dudley, and Javale McGee. That formula is what made it tenable to have someone as typically unfocused and stupid as Dwight Howard on the team.

This season we don't have anyone on the staff that is capable of being a head coach in the NBA. Phil Handy is a really good player development coach, but not a head coach.
Bron2AD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2024 10:07 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Show 35 posts
Dave McMenamin
@mcten
·
13m
The Lakers are conducting exit interviews with their players today, sources told ESPN, and continues to go through its evaluation of the season as it pertains to deciding on the future of Darvin Ham coaching the team.
J.C. Smith
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2024 11:27 am    Post subject:

Triumph wrote:
The nice thing about the 2020 season with Vogel was that he also had a pretty good assistant coach in Jason Kidd so they could make up for each other's shortcomings.

I agree with your general assessment. The coaching staff was quite good. You had multiple former head coaches as assistants.

They had Lionel Hollins, as well. He took the Conley, Gay, Randolph, and Gasol Grizzlies team to the Western Conference finals.
troy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2024 11:36 am    Post subject:

lakersfever714 wrote:

I don't think he was their primary choice. I tend to believe they settled with Mr. Ham.
troy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2024 11:46 am    Post subject:

This may not be a popular sentiment, but I'm not sure that Mr. Ham is the PRIMARY reason for the Lakers blundering. His first year as head coach, he takes the Lakers to the WCF. His second year, he's close to taking two games from the defending champs, Nuggets (if not for Murray hitting two game winners dammit ), which would have changed everything.

Mr. Ham has gotten the Lakers into the post season both years he's been head coach. Unfortunately, this season, our starting center was hurt, and our best wing defender was hurt. Both players would have made a difference in the Nuggets series.

I truly believe that if we would have lost to the Pels, we would have won our play-ins and qualified to take on the Thunder, a team we dominated in the regular season. WE SHOULD HAVE TANKED TO AVOID THE NUGGETS.

Not to say that Mr. Ham was innocent in this whole thing, but he's more a convenient lighting rod for frustration than a true reason for our lack of success this off season.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 308, 309, 310 ... 322, 323, 324  Next
Page 309 of 324
Jump to: