Head Coach Mr. DARVIN HAM Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 59, 60, 61 ... 283, 284, 285  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hydrohead
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 7:57 am    Post subject:

Car54 wrote:
Kyle Goon: After we saw Damian Jones take a corner 3, @jovanbuha asked if Darvin Ham about his confidence in Jones’ range. He said he trusts Jones’ shooting so far. “If I have Robin Lopez making 3s, I’m sure I can make Damian Jones to make 3s.” Adds: “I love Robin. Miss you too, Brook.” – via Twitter kylegoon

He ain’t lying: Robin shot 33% (35 for 105) in his one year in Milwaukee.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 8:25 am    Post subject:

I wonder how a 6'3/6'2 backcourt of Russ/Nunn will defend. Neither noted as top notch defenders. Say we play the Clips, who is guarding PG13? Nunn? Russ?
epic_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 8:30 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
I wonder how a 6'3/6'2 backcourt of Russ/Nunn will defend. Neither noted as top notch defenders. Say we play the Clips, who is guarding PG13? Nunn? Russ?

Depends, who are the other 4 clip starters?
💜💛 🏆 👀 🍖 #18!!!
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 8:59 am    Post subject:

epic_ wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Probably Wall (6'4), PG, Kawhi, Morris, Zubac.
epic_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 9:22 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
epic_ wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

From what it looked like from last year, WB matched up with PG.
I assume that was partly due to PG needing to guard Russ as Russ would just take Reggie to the post, and the Lakers wanted to avoid cross matching.

As long as Nunn and Russ can defend better than Monk, I think we should be fine in terms of our size being an issue.
💜💛 🏆 👀 🍖 #18!!!
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 9:24 am    Post subject:

epic_ wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
epic_ wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

I assume that was partly due to PG needing to guard Russ as Russ would just take Reggie to the post, and the Lakers wanted to avoid cross matching.

As long as Nunn and Russ can defend better than Monk, I think we should be fine in terms of our size being an issue.

Clips are somehow even bigger this season with Wall and Kawhi returning back. Our small backcourt will be tested early if they insist on it.
epic_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 9:30 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
epic_ wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
epic_ wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Clips are somehow even bigger this season with Wall and Kawhi returning back. Our small backcourt will be tested early if they insist on it.

First game last year, Clips actually played Zu and Ibaka. So I believe their bigs started bigger last year.

But yep, our guards will be tested, but so will everyone else on the team including the bigs. Interesting that the Lakers will do less switching this year, or that's the mind set so far. So we'll see how that plays a factor.

What would you say the biggest issue for small guards are? Defensive rebounding, post up defense, and contesting mid range shots? Those are my 3 issue with smaller guards. But Russ seems to handle those situations decently while being on the shorter side.
💜💛 🏆 👀 🍖 #18!!!
lakersfever714
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 12:34 pm    Post subject:

I hope we find one solid starting lineup and keep it for the entire season. Changing the starting lineup all the time is bad for the team chemistry and the players don't like it.

Ham saying there will be "other options" to replace Russ if he doesn't play defense to Ham's standard is setting the team up for controversy and lineup changes, which would negatively affect the team's chemistry.
epic_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 3:36 pm    Post subject:

lakersfever714 wrote:
I hope we find one solid starting lineup and keep it for the entire season. Changing the starting lineup all the time is bad for the team chemistry and the players don't like it.

Ham saying there will be "other options" to replace Russ if he doesn't play defense to Ham's standard is setting the team up for controversy and lineup changes, which would negatively affect the team's chemistry.

We need the guys to stay healthy.
💜💛 🏆 👀 🍖 #18!!!
lakersfever714
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 3:41 pm    Post subject:

epic_ wrote:
lakersfever714 wrote:

We need the guys to stay healthy.

I assume everyone would be healthy. If a starter gets injured, then we'd have no choice but to replace. I'm just hoping there wouldn't be any change in the starting lineup due to our record.
TDRock
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2022 1:09 pm    Post subject:

Lol. Ok then...

Per Woike

Darvin Ham said he speaks to Quin Snyder once a week - joked that he’s working for the Lakers pro bono while collecting a “Utah check.”

https://twitter.com/danwoikesports/status/1580664096017420289?s=46&t=wG2CLTRL5d93wOOc_Q5Gfw
scout_0
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2022 5:48 am    Post subject:

Ham please don't follow Vogel's path.

Understand that shooting is todays #1 priority.

You want to see us blow a team out real quick?

Who are our best shooters?

I took the last 3-4 years average

LeBron 36% on 6 attemps
Davis 30% on 2 attemps
Bryant 35% 2 attempts
Lonnie 34% on 4 attempts
Dennis 34% on 3.3 attempts
Tuscano 36% on 1.6 attempts
Brick 29% on 3.7 attemps
Beverly 39% on 4 attempts
Brown 33% on 3 attempts
Nunn 37% on 6 attempts
Gabriel 34% on 1 attempt

Unless we want to take the eye test (Matt and Snyder) our best shooters are Beverly, Nunn, Tuscano and Bryant outside of our big 2.

Thats good because Beverly and Tuscano both play tought D.

But Tuscano is volume shy so he must play with Nunn's high volume.

PG.Nunn
SG.Beverly
SF.LeBron
PF.Tuscano
C.Davis

That is your best line up. I really wish beverly was 6"6 but whatever.

That is your style right there.

At least 2 guys if hitting 40% from 3 and other guys who can shoot well enough.

You can also move Bryant at C and Tuscano out.

Let dennis be Dennis:

PG.Dennis
SG.Matt / Walker
SF.Snyder / Walker
PF.Gabriel
C.Bryant

As time goes on try to flip Brick, Reeves, Walker, Jones, for people who can shoot to replace either natt or snyder if they cant d up.

Sorry if you are going to play you will need to hit 3s other wise you are not helping.

And I would just let things play out for 15 games of consistent style of play.

LeBron and Dennis are the main ball handlers, always 2 40% shooters on the floor and at least 3 defenders per line up...

Yea there are holes in this but its our best option and the line ups can be switched around but the point is we need to play people who can shoot.

Defensively our bench might seem limited but we won't do 5 man subs
scout_0
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2022 5:58 am    Post subject:

Lakers hit me up ill do data science and data engineering free of charge, lets fix this mess..

Remove personal bias from our process and embrace the numbers.

Brick sorry the numbers say you cant play u till these numbers change
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2022 6:10 am    Post subject:

Ham can only cook with the ingredients he's been given by Rob.

6 guards? 5 of them are 6'4 and under? Go work with that Ham!

Oh, and the team as a whole is bottom 5 in preseason shooting at 29%, a level that Russ shot last year.

So no shooting. No size. And Lakers will stand pat on a Russ trade for now too.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2022 6:35 am    Post subject:

^^^
Vogel's path led to a ring. I don't think he had a bad plan, I think he just lost the team once it became clear things weren't going to work and that WB was not fitting in. There was no way they could trade back for the team they once had. The plans, even using Bron as a 5, they seemed to be good. We didn't have health or the right pieces (Nor did WB fit in at all). Factor his lame duck status with the weak contract extension he was toast by mid-season. Very poorly handled situation by our FO.

As we've seen in preseason, even with a younger more athletic group, so long as you keep trying to fit the same sort of general model of roster building, there's a lot of holes. Even a great coach would struggle with what we had last year and even this year, I think a great could could struggle to have this team win at a 50 win pace.

I like Ham's 4-1 sets. They are good. But we have some fundamental issues with AD/Bron. Is AD a 5? Is Bron better at 4? Is Bron still going to get some run at the backup 5? IE are we playing AD/Bron + small ball? Or are we playing big? Because this issue has dragged on for a long time now.

Here's the fundamental problem any coach (even GOAT Phil Jackson) would face.

1) Westbrook is not a shooter, and historically teams who have superstars need a running mate that can spread the floor. So when WB brings the ball up, your opposing team's ball stopper can sag way off him. Much easier to defend when you can do this, Phil used Kobe this way in 2010-11 to beat them. In this era, even more impact if your PG is a complete non-shooter from outside.

2) When you play big with AD/Bron, you gain defensive rim protection, but the paint gets even more clogged on on offense and teams get more 3 point shots off. We have vet min level Cs but they're not going to fit with AD/Bron and WB as a non-shooter at PG.

3) When you play smaller with AD/Bron at the 5/4 the lack of talent at the 3/2 with wings like KCP/Kuz/Green/Caruso all gone, means the Lakers lack the abilty to pull off AD/Bron 5/4 lineups. We end up being way too small like we saw against Minny, Bev/WB etc.

Ultimately I don't fault Ham, he's trying to figure this out and has some nice 4-1 sets and if it's true Snyder is helping him that's great. They will do the best they can. But the dude we extended .... man what a sham and joke. Took a ring team and end up making it in a way where we can neither succeed playing big with AD at the 4/Bron at the 3 or AD at the 5/Bron at the 4 with quaity wings around them. Jeanie, seriously.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2022 6:49 am    Post subject:

Quote:
ESPN reporting with @Mcten: The Lakers are planning to bring Russell Westbrook off the bench in the final preseason game vs. Kings tonight (ESPN, 10 ET). Darvin Ham and Westbrook have been exploring possibility of Westbrook quarterbacking second unit and they'll try it tonight.

Ham is not stupid

Russ (bleep) this up, he gone.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2022 6:54 am    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
Quote:
ESPN reporting with @Mcten: The Lakers are planning to bring Russell Westbrook off the bench in the final preseason game vs. Kings tonight (ESPN, 10 ET). Darvin Ham and Westbrook have been exploring possibility of Westbrook quarterbacking second unit and they'll try it tonight.

Ham is not stupid

I've been calling for this one for a while, so to finally see it in my lifetime, .

I think it will be better for both. Russ is not capable this year of transitioning to a purely role player (which he will have to do in the future). So bring in better fits in the starting lineup, and let him help create for the 2nd unit sans LBJ.
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2022 8:34 am    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
Quote:

Ham is not stupid

Small steps
Megaton
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2022 8:40 am    Post subject:

Wow look at that. Ham did in a few games that Vogel outright refused to do for an entire season.

Bravo Ham. Vogel get wrecked.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2022 8:43 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
LakerSD wrote:
Quote:

Ham is not stupid

I've been calling for this one for a while, so to finally see it in my lifetime, .

I think it will be better for both. Russ is not capable this year of transitioning to a purely role player (which he will have to do in the future). So bring in better fits in the starting lineup, and let him help create for the 2nd unit sans LBJ.

This is just me following breadcrumbs but I really feel that Vogel wanted to do the same thing, but was vetoed by Kurt and Rob.

My sense is unlike Vogel, part of Ham’s deal is he has full autonomy on playing time and game decisions.

Edit: I don’t believe for one second that the guy who strategized sagging of Houston Rockets Russ so much suddenly was a big believer in him starting and refused to bring him off the bench
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2022 9:04 am    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:

This is just me following breadcrumbs but I really feel that Vogel wanted to do the same thing, but was vetoed by Kurt and Rob.

Yeah, I agree. Vogel never liked Westbrook and I think that's why he got canned.
Rob and Kurt simply wouldn't admit that they (bleep) it up with that trade.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2022 9:48 am    Post subject:

Not only is Ham bringing Russ off the bench he's also starting AD at the 5. Moves that go against players' wishes. Finally, we have a coach with grande pelotas.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2022 9:56 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Not only is Ham bringing Russ off the bench he's also starting AD at the 5. Moves that go against players' wishes. Finally, we have a coach with grande pelotas.

I will believe it when I see it in a real game
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2022 10:49 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:

Let's see if Kurt Rambis will interfere. Remember he pretty much made Vogel start DAJ?
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2022 10:52 am    Post subject:

Megaton wrote:
Wow look at that. Ham did in a few games that Vogel outright refused to do for an entire season.

Bravo Ham. Vogel get wrecked.

You can't compare the two situations. By the time Vogel got the ok to bench Russ, the coffin was already nailed shut. He was going to take the fall any way you sliced it. Ham not only doesn't face pressure to play Russ, finding a way to shepherd his departure is the actual ask. His needle to thread is finding a way to develop rotations and team growth that isn't interrupted when Russ is no longer on the roster without letting that turn into a full blown Russ-drama. Having him lead a bench-unit is a good way to start that process.

That is no easy task unto itself, though I feel like the organization has set itself of for that the best it could, adding extra guards and making it clear through the media over a long period of time that Russ isn't in the long term plans.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 59, 60, 61 ... 283, 284, 285  Next
Page 60 of 285
Jump to: