******** 2022 NBA Playoffs Thread ********
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 201, 202, 203 ... 297, 298, 299  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mad55557777
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 9:40 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
jodeke wrote:
I don't normally butt into others' debates. So I preface this post with forgive me.

I understand your "good asset management" argument. It's according to one's view of good asset management.

If winning, and buying championships is the goal, it's good asset management for that individual.

If making money, money being the bottom line, it's poor asset management to that individaul.

That's a valid perspective. I object to the suggestion that what the Warriors are doing is a model for anyone else or that it is somehow laudable. What they are doing is legal under the CBA. There may be consequences down the road as the small market teams see themselves getting steamrollered. This may come into play in a couple years, as the current CBA expires.

If what the Warriors are doing and what I'm told the Lakers did under Dr. Buss's reign is not by definition laudable. In a sense, it's unfair to small-market teams. Deep pockets will be able to buy the birthday cake with the most candles.

Dr. Buss never went this far beyond the pale. We did have one of the highest payrolls, but if you think about it, we could have spent a lot more. Here's how our payroll compared to other teams in 2008. To be sure, we had the biggest payroll a couple years later, but Dr. Buss never let us get outside the norms of the league.

CBA rules changed a lot since the passing of DR. Buss. it was much more lenient before which you pay dollar per dollar, and the contract size was much smaller. however, it is a different game now with the supermax and the repeater tax.
Current Laker's owner group is not fit for this. they simply didn't leverage the brand of Lakers enough.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 12:59 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
jodeke wrote:
I don't normally butt into others' debates. So I preface this post with forgive me.

I understand your "good asset management" argument. It's according to one's view of good asset management.

If winning, and buying championships is the goal, it's good asset management for that individual.

If making money, money being the bottom line, it's poor asset management to that individaul.

That's a valid perspective. I object to the suggestion that what the Warriors are doing is a model for anyone else or that it is somehow laudable. What they are doing is legal under the CBA. There may be consequences down the road as the small market teams see themselves getting steamrollered. This may come into play in a couple years, as the current CBA expires.

If what the Warriors are doing and what I'm told the Lakers did under Dr. Buss's reign is not by definition laudable. In a sense, it's unfair to small-market teams. Deep pockets will be able to buy the birthday cake with the most candles.

Dr. Buss never went this far beyond the pale. We did have one of the highest payrolls, but if you think about it, we could have spent a lot more. Here's how our payroll compared to other teams in 2008. To be sure, we had the biggest payroll a couple years later, but Dr. Buss never let us get outside the norms of the league.

That may be true relating to Dr. Buss but it wasn't the gist of my post. My point is what they did and are doing IMO is not by definition LAUDABLE. It was a comparison of asset reasoning.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 1:13 pm    Post subject:

mad55557777 wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
jodeke wrote:

CBA rules changed a lot since the passing of DR. Buss. it was much more lenient before which you pay dollar per dollar, and the contract size was much smaller. however, it is a different game now with the supermax and the repeater tax.
Current Laker's owner group is not fit for this. they simply didn't leverage the brand of Lakers enough.

Out of respect for the Buss name and legacy, it troubles me to say IMO Jeanie doesn't have the wherewithal to run the franchise. I'm reading things that indicate she's making FO hires to put that wherewithal in place.

I've been on the Buss since 1960 and I don't plan to get off. C'mon Jeanie get it together.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Bol
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 1:17 pm    Post subject:

The Warriors got lucky with Steph. I'm not impressed by an organization unless they can continue to find success beyond a single generational superstar. The Bulls couldn't do it. Spurs haven't done it. I really doubt the Warriors will do it.
ThePageDude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 1:43 pm    Post subject:

Bol wrote:
The Warriors got lucky with Steph. I'm not impressed by an organization unless they can continue to find success beyond a single generational superstar. The Bulls couldn't do it. Spurs haven't done it. I really doubt the Warriors will do it.

I agree with your criterion However it's too early to judge Golden State as this ownership group really has only been in place 12 years with their first championship in 2015. Meanwhile in 50 years the Celtics have had 3 "generations" and the Lakers have had 4, so it's taken 10-15 years between generations for even the most successful franchises.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 1:45 pm    Post subject:

Dang.
GS's only lost 3 games.
Miami's at 4. I wouldn't be surprised if they win tonight. But either way. I'm sticking with my pick of MIA in 6.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 1:55 pm    Post subject:

Looks like 2014 till now will be remembered as the Warriors era, with them making the Finals 6 times in 8 years. And yes, the Dallas series is pretty much over.....no NBA team has come back from 0-3 to win a series.
miggz23
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 2:14 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
Looks like 2014 till now will be remembered as the Warriors era, with them making the Finals 6 times in 8 years. And yes, the Dallas series is pretty much over.....no NBA team has come back from 0-3 to win a series.

I know it's out his and our control with those situations... Everyday the more and more I get angry about AD's injuries... But the last 2 seasons Title has been so wide open.. Warriors suffered injury riddled seasons the last 2 seasons and it got them 3 lotto picks. They stayed pretty healthy this year and Klay came back mid season.

I'm hoping Lakers can do the same, I think a couple of tweaks on the line-up and hoping AD/Lebron plays 70-75% of the regular season next year. They can make a run next season.
TDRock
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 2:16 pm    Post subject:

Ugh. What the hecky happened to the Heat?! Why is everyone hurt? damm Damm DAMM
miggz23
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 2:20 pm    Post subject:

TDRock wrote:
Ugh. What the hecky happened to the Heat?! Why is everyone hurt? damm Damm DAMM

Been the story of title runs the last few seasons... The team who stays relatively healthy pretty much get to the finals.
lakersfever714
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 3:00 pm    Post subject:

Injuries are part of the game. Bucks were helped last year. The year before the Lakers were guilty as well. It's why I want the Mavs/GSW series to be over in 4 games so there'd be less chance of injuries to the Warriors.

It's like if you're a decent team making it to the playoffs then you'd get a very good shot at winning it all. Foston has been the least injury ridden team in the playoffs this year so they're reaping the benefits.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 3:07 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
I don't know how Dallas is going to improve.

Tim Hardaway Jr - $20M
Dinwiddie - $18M
Bertans - $16M
Bullock/finney Smith/Dwight Powell are a combined $30M.

They need a bonafide #2 in the worse way.

Those names and couple picks are perfect for a Dame $ or better yet, a KAT
LakersMD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 3:34 pm    Post subject:

governator wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:

Tim Hardaway Jr - $20M
Dinwiddie - $18M
Bertans - $16M

Those names and couple picks are perfect for a Dame $ or better yet, a KAT

Hardaway and Bertans contract runs through 2025. Bertans’ final year is partially guaranteed.

Dinwiddie and Bullock have another 2 years remaining. The final years are partially guaranteed but I doubt they get waived since they’re serviceable players.

DFS is going to get paid this summer.

Powell is expiring but those others are not very desirable lengths for Portland even with the partially guaranteed final years.
miggz23
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 4:01 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:

Tim Hardaway Jr - $20M
Dinwiddie - $18M
Bertans - $16M

They won't improve next season already being all in for $151m team salary. They also might lose Brunson. But they can improve the following season if they dumped some of those long contracts. Lakers and Dallas can actually help each other out.

Westbrook for Hardaway/Bertans/Bullock

Dallas will have significant capspace to improve in 2023... They can afford to resign Brunson. They also get their #2 guy in Westbrook. If it does not work out, they most likely end up with a lotto pick. Then Westbrook deal expires. Their roster is young enough that they can afford a throw away season.

Lakers get the shooters they need... Some of those contracts are pretty moveable if they decide to clear some cap in 2023 or 2024.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 4:48 pm    Post subject:

I don't like the Celtics and I'm not a gambler. I make gentlemen's bets with my best friend. He asked for and I gave him the Heat in the series. I think the Leprechauns are the better team. My bet is looking shabby right now. TBH, I really don't care if I lose. I chose the team I thought was the better team. I believe the boys in green will win the series. If they don't win tonight I'll be bet nervous.

Leprechauns started like a house a fire. The NBA is a game of runs. Right now the Celtics have diarrhea.

Last edited by jodeke on Mon May 23, 2022 5:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
PenG_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 4:57 pm    Post subject:

A reasonably healthy Timelord shuts off the Bam show as predicted

Last edited by PenG_ on Mon May 23, 2022 5:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
LakersARETheGOAT
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 4:58 pm    Post subject:

These playoffs have been A$s, i pray lakers are back next season
hype
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 5:02 pm    Post subject:

LakersARETheGOAT wrote:
These playoffs have been A$s, i pray lakers are back next season

Yeah, not very entertaining at all for the general fans when teams just take turns blowing each other out for stretches.. It's really odd how all 4 teams have done it consistently. Some of the endings have been ok but this round has def. been trash to watch to me as well.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 5:04 pm    Post subject:

I was surprised by Heat winning G3. Foston is going to outlast the Heat imo.

GS…you better not (bleep) up against Foston.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 5:34 pm    Post subject:

The Heat have a look of defeat.

PenG_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 5:38 pm    Post subject:

Bam

Game 1: 10pts
Game 2: 6 pts
Game 3: 31 pts
Game 4: 1 pt

Guess which one was against an injured front court? Bam and Ayton are such disappointing players
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 5:45 pm    Post subject:

1st 5 minutes of the 3rd quarter are going to be a determining factor on who will win this game.

eureca
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

The Heat still have only won 2 quarters in this series. It's not looking good.

With that said if they can win game 5 at home then they get a deciding game 7 at home. Imagine if they somehow win the series only winning 4 quarters in 7 games.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

1st 5 minutes of the 3rd quarter are going to be a determining factor on who will win this game.

jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 6:07 pm    Post subject:

Tatum is on his game tonight.

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 201, 202, 203 ... 297, 298, 299  Next
Page 202 of 299
Jump to: