******** 2022 NBA Playoffs Thread ********
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 200, 201, 202 ... 297, 298, 299  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2022 8:16 pm    Post subject:

Outspoken wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Outspoken wrote:
Shout out to the Warriors building their team around their young talent and having success; Their asset management is incredible.

Really? As I keep pointing out, the Warriors' asset management is based on paying gigantic amounts of luxury tax. This year, the Warriors' luxury tax bill will be larger than any other team's payroll. So yes, the Warriors' asset management is incredible, but perhaps not in the way you mean.

You keep talking about money that they have. They didn't squander away their young talent, nor their assets. One thing in business is understanding if the risk is worth the reward and if you wanna win, you're gonna have to spend.

Nonsense. They decided that they'd play by a different set of financial rules. It's legal under the CBA. But calling it good asset management is just plain laughable. It's more accurate to call it an attempt to buy a title.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2022 8:17 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Outspoken wrote:
Shout out to the Warriors building their team around their young talent and having success; Their asset management is incredible.

Really? As I keep pointing out, the Warriors' asset management is based on paying gigantic amounts of luxury tax. This year, the Warriors' luxury tax bill will be larger than any other team's payroll. So yes, the Warriors' asset management is incredible, but perhaps not in the way you mean.

Compared to the Lakers it has been incredible, they didn’t trade a bunch for an often injured star and they didn’t just flat out give away assets.

Comparing them to the Lakers is a low bar.
Drifts
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2022 8:20 pm    Post subject:

well, the warriors don't have a superstar who loves to play GM... that's basically it.
"Now, if life is coffee, then the jobs, money & position in society are the cups. They are just tools to hold & contain life, but the quality of life doesn't change. Sometimes, by concentrating only on the cup, we fail to enjoy the coffee in it."
epic_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2022 8:21 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
I don't know how Dallas is going to improve.

Tim Hardaway Jr - $20M
Dinwiddie - $18M
Bertans - $16M
Bullock/finney Smith/Dwight Powell are a combined $30M.

They need a bonafide #2 in the worse way.

They need Russell Westbrook!
💜💛 🏆 👀 🍖 #18!!!
Drifts
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2022 8:23 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
I don't know how Dallas is going to improve.

Tim Hardaway Jr - $20M
Dinwiddie - $18M
Bertans - $16M
Bullock/finney Smith/Dwight Powell are a combined $30M.

They need a bonafide #2 in the worse way.

they just need a trade.. or roll the dice on these young core, hoping they are enough to win it all.
"Now, if life is coffee, then the jobs, money & position in society are the cups. They are just tools to hold & contain life, but the quality of life doesn't change. Sometimes, by concentrating only on the cup, we fail to enjoy the coffee in it."
Outspoken
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2022 8:27 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Outspoken wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Outspoken wrote:

You keep talking about money that they have. They didn't squander away their young talent, nor their assets. One thing in business is understanding if the risk is worth the reward and if you wanna win, you're gonna have to spend.

Nonsense. They decided that they'd play by a different set of financial rules. It's legal under the CBA. But calling it good asset management is just plain laughable. It's more accurate to call it an attempt to buy a title.

If it is legal, what are we talking about? You keep talking about finance because you are privy to the information now, but if you wasn't, it wouldn't matter because it's all about the product on the court. A whole lot of teams would be said to have bought a championship, by your logic, including past Lakers. Again, one thing in business is understanding if the risk is worth the reward and if you wanna win, you're gonna have to spend. They are gonna make way more than how much they are gonna have to pay in luxury tax at the end of the season.

Last edited by Outspoken on Sun May 22, 2022 8:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
miggz23
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2022 8:31 pm    Post subject:

Drifts wrote:
well, the warriors don't have a superstar who loves to play GM... that's basically it.

Also has an owner who don't care about lux tax
BILBJH
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2022 9:21 pm    Post subject:

miggz23 wrote:
Drifts wrote:

Also has an owner who don't care about lux tax

The Lakers spent the fourth or fifth most in the league.

As much as people here would like to blame it on Jeanie's cheapness... it's way more Lebron's meddling that's the problem than any rumor that they wouldn't pay Caruso.

LBJ would have tried to trade half the Warriors when they went through that down period when Klay was injured.

I say try because the Warriors management would never agree to his bullsh*t in the first place.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2022 9:26 pm    Post subject:

mad55557777 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Wiggins could be creating a market for himself in these playoffs. Packaging him and Wiseman could get them a decent return.

Their luxury bill is going be in the 200 mile next season alone…

Thats ridiculous, but at least they know they gotta optimize their championship chances while their core is still in their prime.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 4:31 am    Post subject:

Outspoken wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Outspoken wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Outspoken wrote:

If it is legal, what are we talking about? You keep talking about finance because you are privy to the information now, but if you wasn't, it wouldn't matter because it's all about the product on the court. A whole lot of teams would be said to have bought a championship, by your logic, including past Lakers. Again, one thing in business is understanding if the risk is worth the reward and if you wanna win, you're gonna have to spend. They are gonna make way more than how much they are gonna have to pay in luxury tax at the end of the season.

You're just repeating the same cliches. This is because you're stuck arguing that spending $170M on luxury tax is "good asset management." It isn't. The fact that the Warriors' ownership is willing to do this doesn't make it brilliant. We've had some other owners around the world do something similar. Abramovich jumps to mind, but the UAE (Man City) and Qatar (PSG) are good examples, too. Yes, it's legal. But when you start telling us that it's good asset management, you're being silly.
Palin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 5:25 am    Post subject:

Mavs will be like 2007-2010 Cavs if they wont able to bring another star.
anth2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 6:40 am    Post subject:

Warriors will win the title.

With Wiggins playing like this, minus the talent of Durant, this is arguably the best Warriors team. Savvy, experienced mixed with some young guys.

As much as I want Doncic and Dallas, it’s not their year.

If I was Mark Cuban, I would be thinking of a good center to help this awful rebounding team. Ayton, Drummond, etc.

Too small…
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 6:50 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Outspoken wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Outspoken wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Outspoken wrote:

You're just repeating the same cliches. This is because you're stuck arguing that spending $170M on luxury tax is "good asset management." It isn't. The fact that the Warriors' ownership is willing to do this doesn't make it brilliant. We've had some other owners around the world do something similar. Abramovich jumps to mind, but the UAE (Man City) and Qatar (PSG) are good examples, too. Yes, it's legal. But when you start telling us that it's good asset management, you're being silly.

I don't normally butt into others' debates. So I preface this post with forgive me.

I understand your "good asset management" argument. It's according to one's view of good asset management.

If winning, and buying championships is the goal, it's good asset management for that individual.

If making money, money being the bottom line, it's poor asset management to that individual.

Goal being the keyword.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 7:08 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
I don't normally butt into others' debates. So I preface this post with forgive me.

I understand your "good asset management" argument. It's according to one's view of good asset management.

If winning, and buying championships is the goal, it's good asset management for that individual.

If making money, money being the bottom line, it's poor asset management to that individaul.

That's a valid perspective. I object to the suggestion that what the Warriors are doing is a model for anyone else or that it is somehow laudable. What they are doing is legal under the CBA. There may be consequences down the road as the small market teams see themselves getting steamrollered. This may come into play in a couple years, as the current CBA expires.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 7:36 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
jodeke wrote:

If making money, money being the bottom line, it's poor asset management to that individaul.

That's a valid perspective. I object to the suggestion that what the Warriors are doing is a model for anyone else or that it is somehow laudable. What they are doing is legal under the CBA. There may be consequences down the road as the small market teams see themselves getting steamrollered. This may come into play in a couple years, as the current CBA expires.

If what the Warriors are doing and what I'm told the Lakers did under Dr. Buss's reign is not by definition laudable. In a sense, it's unfair to small-market teams. Deep pockets will be able to buy the birthday cake with the most candles.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
epic_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 7:44 am    Post subject:

Freak. Herro is out today.
And the heat are banged up.
Need another defensive gem from Victor.
💜💛 🏆 👀 🍖 #18!!!
Outspoken
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 7:58 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Outspoken wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Outspoken wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Outspoken wrote:

Warriors are brilliant for collectively having a great front office, culture, coaching staff, medical staff, and product on the floor; collectively that all could be considered assets. They also have drafted well, so I could include the scouting department. They are spending their money wisely. You're not saying how it is not good asset management, you try to say they were buying a championship, when in fact a whole lot of teams would be labeled as "buying a championship." NBA owners frequently say that they are willing to pay the luxury tax for a team capable of contending for a championship because it is great business (I would also say, if the players have a reasonable contract. I think the Warriors are gonna unload Wiggins contract after this season). You're just talking about the financial aspect of luxury tax that you are privy to, while simultaneously dismissing the business side of things. As well as them drafting well, doing good in free agency, and not just squandering away their asset on the floor. They didn't just let KD walk. You're also not addressing other teams that had to pay luxury tax, whether it be big or small, including the Lakers, who didn't even make the playoffs, a lottery team due to their lack of asset management that generated towards bad product on the floor and bad business. If you wanna win, you have to be willing to spend, but you have to spend your money wisely.

Last edited by Outspoken on Mon May 23, 2022 9:09 am; edited 9 times in total
Dominic1981
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 8:06 am    Post subject:

Warriors should have success. They kept together 3 Hall of Fame players (Steph, Klay, Draymond) then found a couple good role players who were former top 3 picks (Porter, Wiggins), then got a guy willing to take far less money to win championships (Looney), then drafted a couple studs on low rookie deals (Poole, Kuminga).

It’s not as easy as “willing to pay luxury tax). Lot of teams pay luxury tax and make their spends on bad investments. Everyone on the Warriors is a reasonable contract. Only overpay currently is Wiggins.
DShotMaker1824
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 8:22 am    Post subject:

Dominic1981 wrote:
Warriors should have success. They kept together 3 Hall of Fame players (Steph, Klay, Draymond) then found a couple good role players who were former top 3 picks (Porter, Wiggins), then got a guy willing to take far less money to win championships (Looney), then drafted a couple studs on low rookie deals (Poole, Kuminga).

It’s not as easy as “willing to pay luxury tax). Lot of teams pay luxury tax and make their spends on bad investments. Everyone on the Warriors is a reasonable contract. Only overpay currently is Wiggins.

And they weren't even the ones who gave him that contract

"Through the legs to the left, through the legs to the right, we don't run them Laker plays, we just Kobe fadeaway..."
Outspoken
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 8:27 am    Post subject:

Dominic1981 wrote:

This is all I'm saying, though you articulated it better.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 8:28 am    Post subject:

epic_ wrote:

ESPN lists the Heats, Lowery, Tucker and Butler day to day, Hero out. I don't put a lot of stock into ESPN's injury reports. I'm on the wait and see bus.

Celtics, Tatum, Williams, and Smart day to day. The way Marcus and Jason bounced back after injuries that looked to be serious I'll believe they won't start when I see it.

Although the Leprechauns are down 2 to 1 I think they will win the series. I think that because of their coach. He's a rookie but he coaches like a vet. He was an assistant under Popovich for around 7 years. I think some of Pop rubbed off.

venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 8:51 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
jodeke wrote:

If what the Warriors are doing and what I'm told the Lakers did under Dr. Buss's reign is not by definition laudable. In a sense, it's unfair to small-market teams. Deep pockets will be able to buy the birthday cake with the most candles.

Unlike when Dr. Buss was in charge, there is now revenue sharing. The Warriors, Lakers and other high revenue teams are subsidizing those small market teams. And the SM teams who stay below the tax limit also share in the distribution of tax payments. It doesn’t make things even but it narrows the gap.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 9:16 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
jodeke wrote:

Dr. Buss never went this far beyond the pale. We did have one of the highest payrolls, but if you think about it, we could have spent a lot more. Here's how our payroll compared to other teams in 2008. To be sure, we had the biggest payroll a couple years later, but Dr. Buss never let us get outside the norms of the league.
mad55557777
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 9:37 am    Post subject:

DShotMaker1824 wrote:
Dominic1981 wrote:

And they weren't even the ones who gave him that contract

we weren't the one that gave Westbrook his contract either. warriors paid Dlo, and traded him for Wiggins. their only issue was not turn into that Wiseman pick into something more valuable. Wiggins+#2 pick would've netted them a very good player. there is always risk with drafting.
epic_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 9:39 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
epic_ wrote:

ESPN lists the Heats, Lowery, Tucker and Butler day to day, Hero out. I don't put a lot of stock into ESPN's injury reports. I'm on the wait and see bus.

Celtics, Tatum, Williams, and Smart day to day. The way Marcus and Jason bounced back after injuries that looked to be serious I'll believe they won't start when I see it.

Although the Leprechauns are down 2 to 1 I think they will win the series. I think that because of their coach. He's a rookie but he coaches like a vet. He was an assistant under Popovich for around 7 years. I think some of Pop rubbed off.

It's not based off of ESPN injury report. It's off of coach:

Quote:
Nick Friedell
@NickFriedell

Spoelstra says Tyler Herro will not play tonight.

💜💛 🏆 👀 🍖 #18!!!
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 200, 201, 202 ... 297, 298, 299  Next
Page 201 of 299
Jump to: