******** 2022 NBA Playoffs Thread ********
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 203, 204, 205 ... 297, 298, 299  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BILBJH
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 10:52 am    Post subject:

Guys like Elvin Hayes and Karl Malone... would play 80 games per year for their entire careers... in much worse conditions, more back to backs... no chartered flights

Wilt used to average 46 minutes a game and he would have played longer but he decided to play beach volleyball instead which I'm guessing is equally grueling to playing basketball.

Julius Erving played over 70 games every year until his final season. He played 84 games when he was in the ABA.

Vince Carter who was another above the rim type of player, played 81 games two years in a row at 36 and 37

Michael Jordan played over 80 games 11 times including his final season at 39.

I thought maybe it was the fact that they used to play lower to the ground... but then I noticed Dr. J, Vince, Michael all were able to play 80 games well into their thirties.

I think maybe it's more that players were expected to last until 35 and now they want to play until closer to 40 and that's much harder for basketball.

Again that's why the bubble situation helped LBJ.

I don't think players are getting injured more as much they are wanting to extend the length of their careers.

It's why Deebo Samuel doesn't want to play running back and play wide receiver instead.

It's why AD doesn't want to play center.

It used to be about sacrificing everything to play... and now it's more about making money.

I can't blame the players... but since I'm from the older generation... I kind of miss that mentality.
TDRock
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 12:35 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
epic_ wrote:
Best of 3, here we go.
Playoffs so boring without the Lakers.

Oh lawd just found out the score, I already had Miami in the Finals after game 3.

Boston going all the way simply can not happen. Wake up Jimmy!

Jimmy didn't play which was clearly a problem :/ (next man up?)
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 12:53 pm    Post subject:

BILBJH wrote:

It used to be about sacrificing everything to play... and now it's more about making money.

I can't blame the players... but since I'm from the older generation... I kind of miss that mentality.

I don't.

I'm glad players are able to lookout for their own health more so now and be unafraid to NOT play if their body can't, rather than pushing themselves through it and potentially ruining their careers.

We talk about the tragedy of stars like Brandon Roy that came back to soon and then his career was never the same.

We talk about the tragedy of Isaiah Thomas losing out on millions of dollars because he played through injury that wound up ruining his career and future in the NBA.

They gave Dwight Howard HELL for years because he didn't look like the same guy he was in Orlando, AFTER praising him for playing through a back injury that only got worse and then required surgery, which shortened his prime and changed him as a player.

But then they call people like Ben Simmons soft for not playing through a back injury that he wound up needing to have surgery on.

We call players with knee injuries 'soft' when they refuse to play through them to make their career longer.

They insinuate that Joel Embiid doesn't 'really want to win', if he sits out due to a concussion and orbital fracture.

Michael Jordan was ALSO called soft for refusing to play through the injury in his foot which had he played on could have shortened his career and then who knows what happens then.

I think that this whole "No matter what injuries you have nor that it could shorten your career... do it anyway for US!"

Well unless WE is paying them solidarity for their potentially ruined careers, I think they should all quiet themselves.

People are used to not giving a crap about an athlete's health, and they have learned through the years that 'athletes aren't human, they exist only to entertain us and if they fail to do that for whatever reason we have the right to dehumanize and demean them' which is a sickening mentality to have but you see it often.

Now when athletes take priority for their own mental health they are called a bunch of names, they are called 'not winners', they are called 'not warriors'. When an athlete prioritizes their career and the potential money they can make or would risk losing playing through injury.. they are called 'soft' and 'not a warrior' and are pushed to risk their careers or be called 'soft'. The fact nobody sees anything wrong with this, just goes to show how dehumanized athletes have become nowadays in the media eye.

You got channels like ESPN that make livings off tearing down players now, and people like Stephen A Smith with the worst takes and personal vendetta's against other players switching up narratives.

ESPN got mad at Ben Simmons for not playing through his back injury despite the fact his team was never saying he was coming back (ESPN and their 'Sources' did), and tried to spin it into a story that he was ducking Philadelphia in a way to increase peer pressure for him to play.

He still couldn't play, so they created a narrative that he has to return in the Playoffs to help his team or the Harden trade is a bust.. again to increase peer pressure for him to play.

They hear he's making progress and is hopeful to play in the Playoffs and run with it like he's GOING to play, and then when he doesn't they call him a bunch of names. And Stephen A Smith calls him the "biggest disgrace in the history of Western Sports", are you freaking kidding me?!?!

AND then when the truth comes out that Ben Simmons' back was in a state where the progress was now deemed impossible without surgery which he then needed to get, He STILL doesn't back off his claim that Simmons is soft or 'didn't really want to play', this type of idiotic takes getting airtime is the bulk of the problem. They say "Why didn't he just get surgery weeks ago" the answer is because he was trying to work his way back to hopefully play for his team, till it became clear it wasn't going to happen. And then the decision was made after the season after the progressions and setbacks that he needed surgery.

BUT the Media ran with it like it was some well thought out 3D Chess move to stick it to the fans and I'm just sick of the nonsense.

I am glad that more players and athletes are prioritizing their health, mental health and financial future over what 'the media' says. It's about darn time they felt they actually had the agency to do so.

Do I love how much Kobe showed he wanted, and acknowledge how amazing he was to play through everything he played through for us? Sure. But if you were to ask me if I'd rather have

A. The moment he sank two free throws on a torn Achillies with his career going downhill after that.

or

B. 4 More Seasons of a healthy Kobe

I'd pick B 10 times out of 10
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 1:40 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
jodeke wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
So many injuries. Blowouts alternating between teams. Just not good playoff basketball IMO.

I'm thinking the league has taken notice and will look for ways to reduce the number of injuries. The only thing I can think of would be investing in a conditioning training program.

I go with the Whitey Herzog train of thought, these guys are too conditioned. With body parts being lean and tight, there isn’t any give when they meet resistance. I doubt that Luka and Jokic have injury prone careers, having a burger and beer at lunch before a game keeps one loose.

I was thinking more along the lines of hiring an exercise physiologist.

They all should be doing that
Lakesh0wtime
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 1:42 pm    Post subject:

Warrior fans are the worst lol

https://twitter.com/natfluential/status/1529100937347878912?s=21

Injuries only works for certain scenarios.

Not that AD wasn’t hurt last year and this year lol
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 1:43 pm    Post subject:

1 day off between each game is rough. Even if they travel. They only get 1 day off. Adam Silver is a mad man.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 2:26 pm    Post subject:

If the Warriors close it out tonight they will have a lot of time off. Finals start on June 2nd.
lakersfever714
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 2:32 pm    Post subject:

Looks like I might have to become the biggest Warriors fan soon. The Heat looks done. Not sure if Butler is 100%.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 2:41 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
I don't.

I'm glad players are able to lookout for their own health more so now and be unafraid to NOT play if their body can't, rather than pushing themselves through it and potentially ruining their careers.

I’m not sure I fully agree with the parts about Ben Simmons, but that’s another topic for another day in another thread. Otherwise, I agree with everything you say, Playing with injuries is a risk. If an athlete doesn’t want to take the risk, I may be disappointed as a fan, but I respect players’ right to protect their health. The NFL concussion debacle is more extreme than what we’re talking about, but it colors my attitude on the issue. How many of those guys kept playing because they felt pressured?
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 3:01 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
jodeke wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
jodeke wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
So many injuries. Blowouts alternating between teams. Just not good playoff basketball IMO.

I'm thinking the league has taken notice and will look for ways to reduce the number of injuries. The only thing I can think of would be investing in a conditioning training program.

I go with the Whitey Herzog train of thought, these guys are too conditioned. With body parts being lean and tight, there isn’t any give when they meet resistance. I doubt that Luka and Jokic have injury prone careers, having a burger and beer at lunch before a game keeps one loose.

I was thinking more along the lines of hiring an exercise physiologist.

They all should be doing that

I think so too but are they? The Lakers employ two athletic trainers, a strength and endurance director with two assistants, a physical therapist, a massage therapist and a nutritionist. They don't have a exercise physiologist as far as I can find.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 3:53 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
1 day off between each game is rough. Even if they travel. They only get 1 day off. Adam Silver is a mad man.

Did that change this year?
That is not a smart thing to do and will lead to injuries
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 3:55 pm    Post subject:

I think the ECF blowouts are because these two teams are incredibly emotional energy teams. The Hate is what is fueling the blowouts
lakersfever714
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 4:30 pm    Post subject:

ContagiousInspiration wrote:
kikanga wrote:

Did that change this year?
That is not a smart thing to do and will lead to injuries

It's all about the money. It's all about the dum, dum, dum, dum, dum, dum. They don't care about the injuries.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 5:56 pm    Post subject:

Dallas is putting up a fight. It has to be difficult because they know they have to win 4 in a row. I don't think they really believe they can advance. Maybe their professional pride will cause them not to want to be swept.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
PenG_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 5:59 pm    Post subject:

Dallas making everything
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 6:25 pm    Post subject:

Is this a first? A rain delay in an indoor basketball game?

TDRock
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 6:35 pm    Post subject:

So I finally get home from the worst traffic in the history of mankind and the second half of the game can't start because of a leak? What the what?!
PenG_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 6:37 pm    Post subject:

Nice storm came through here but not leak through roof worthy
PenG_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 6:40 pm    Post subject:

The 3pt shot makes for some crazy games. Mavs not even grazing the rim since I turned this on
leor_77
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 6:49 pm    Post subject:

Wish we had rain in SoCal...Probably rained once or twice the entirety of 2022.
Dominic1981
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 6:53 pm    Post subject:

The volatility in the 3 point shot leads to lot of blowouts and bad basketball. I really hope they move the line back.
leor_77
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 6:56 pm    Post subject:

Mavs must be kicking themselves - Could have been a 2-2 series rn if they didn't blow the 20-point lead.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 6:56 pm    Post subject:

leor_77 wrote:
Wish we had rain in SoCal...Probably rained once or twice the entirety of 2022.

LINK

jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 6:57 pm    Post subject:

leor_77 wrote:
Mavs must be kicking themselves - Could have been a 2-2 series rn if they didn't blow the 20-point lead.

I hope they don't blow one tonight. I have $25.00 riding on them.

jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 6:59 pm    Post subject:

If Dallas starts to shoot 3s they will lose this game.

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 203, 204, 205 ... 297, 298, 299  Next
Page 204 of 299
Jump to: