How LA Lakers Mismanaged Their Way from Champs to Chumps
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
emplay
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2022 1:28 pm    Post subject: How LA Lakers Mismanaged Their Way from Champs to Chumps

Hey All,

Latest @BleacherReport How LA Lakers Mismanaged Their Way from Champs to Chumps https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10030461-how-la-lakers-mismanaged-their-way-from-champs-to-chumps

Cheers,

EP
emplay
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2022 1:29 pm    Post subject:

Some other stuff:

I did @NateDuncanNBA Dunc'd On recently - we talked potential CBA changes, some Ben Simmons - and reminisced about doing @SportsBizClass Immersive in Vegas together for the last half-decade https://omny.fm/shows/duncd-on-basketball-nba-podcast/eric-pincus-cba-nerdery

Also, If you're serious about making the move into the business of basketball, the @SportsBizClass early bird discount is available through the end of March https://www.sportsbusinessclassroom.com/business-of-basketball-registration/#register

Latest @SportsBizClass Why the Portland Trail Blazers Should Choose to Stay Over the Salary Cap https://www.sportsbusinessclassroom.com/why-the-portland-trail-blazers-should-choose-to-stay-over-the-salary-cap/
DrDent
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2022 9:29 pm    Post subject:

Overall agree with your points emplay. I think the first two really hit the nail on the head, a team whose motto was to get high IQ 2-way players and that helped get them to a championship, elected to start letting those sorts of pieces go, and instead grab...well, the opposite.
TDRock
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2022 9:49 pm    Post subject:

well that was painful
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2022 8:10 am    Post subject:

Everyone seems to know about it - except our own front office
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2022 8:41 am    Post subject:

we heard how veteran we are. yet the leadership from our players has been horrible. I wont mention names but shouldn't rob, frank have some expectations from the top guys in that category?

We can talk about russ's play all we want but other than one comment about the bench he has held himself pretty straight.

Some guys..who make decisions don't seem to take any responsibility.
Boybees
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2022 3:06 pm    Post subject:

I don't see this turning around as long as the Buss family continues to own the team. Everything in sport begins and ends with the quality of ownership. Jerry Buss was the only Buss who should have been driving the bus.
PLATNUM
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2022 7:11 pm    Post subject:

Nice read, EP. Hopefully pieces like this get the attention of the powers that be and they can get their heads out and get the team back to respectability. (not holding my breath)

These guys are hard to root for. We cheer them on because they wear the purp and gold... but most of these guys are hired guns (that shoot blanks) that we hardly even know. I find myself rooting for AC Fresh and JRandle and DLo more than most of the guys on this team. Seeing Lebron and AD giggling and joking on the sidelines while the team slips out of the play-in is just unacceptable and something we all know #24 would have NEVER done or allowed.

Young guys with potential like Reaves are just going to get better and get traded in a year... so why bother? Its sad.

The reason this Rams Super Bowl win was so special for me was because many of the players were with the team when they were losing year after year. To see them win was incredible and tugged at the heart strings. These guys don't seem to have that same level of investment...and why should they? Other than Lebron and AD they know they could be cut or traded at a moments notice. Poor culture.
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2022 8:04 pm    Post subject:

Thanks for a good article, Emplay. I feel like if the front office learns from its mistakes, there's actually a path to title contention next season.

If they just figure out what to do with Westbrook and keep Monk and Nunn, we'll have something good to build on for 2022-23.

Reaves, Gabriel and Johnson need to be kept and developed. All three need to shoot like 500-1000 3-pointers a day all summer, and Reaves and Gabriel need to gain 10-15 pounds of upper-body and core muscle to help them improve on D.

From there, we need a backup PG who can distribute and push the pace when LeBron is resting (would Augustin be good enough?), a C who's at least 6-foot-11 who defends and hits 3s well, and one or two young 3-and-D forwards who thrive in an up-tempo offense.

Monk and Nunn can get you 15-18 ppg each, and their ability to push the ball and get their own shot will help lessen LeBron's workload.

We absolutely MUST keep LeBron to 32 minutes a game from now on.

I feel like that, along with staying healthy, will make us an elite team next season.

I wonder if there's a scenario where we trade Westbrook but still get under the luxury tax threshold so that we can offer Monk the full MLE.
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2022 9:00 pm    Post subject:

Good read Emplay - thank you. Right on the money start to finish regarding what made our roster a championship roster and how this franchise subsequently tore it to pieces. Also highlights the glaring absence of recognition on why players like Caruso, Green and KCP are so important. What kind of mindset does it take to be OK with replacing that defensive core with an aging stat padding superstar who doesn't shoot well, doesn't defend, and is too important to do the dirty work?

Shouldn't have to tell the front office that this isn't NBA2k.
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2022 12:46 am    Post subject:

Boybees wrote:
I don't see this turning around as long as the Buss family continues to own the team. Everything in sport begins and ends with the quality of ownership. Jerry Buss was the only Buss who should have been driving the bus.
Understand your frustrations

With the vast majority of the other NBA teams having rich corporations or billionaires (including Cuban, Balmer, Tsai and others), Lakers have been successful and won a ring just two years ago

Eric wrote an insightful article that illustrates the struggles Jeanie had with the comings and goings of Mitch to eldest Buss son to Phil to Magic to Rob (along with settling legal issues) along with (rightfully) catering to HOFers from the late/great Black Mamba to LBJ to AD under the glare of LaLaLand where only winning rings is expected

As stated previously, we expect more leadership from LBJ/AD since it was their direct wish/request to have Westbrook

Have they made mistakes - yes
Have they always gone for the fences/superstars - yes
Have they shown (usually) that they are loyal to their players - yes
Have they placed loyalty over winning (Kobe/LBJ) - yes
Has Jeanie that they are passionate about basketball - yes
Have the Lakers done better (overall) than Cuban, Balmer, Tsai and others - yes
Have the Lakers tested our patience - yes

Are we Laker Fans, YES!
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2022 4:50 am    Post subject:

Dang, even our resident writer calling this team Chumps, and he's not wrong
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2022 9:26 am    Post subject:

A Mad Chinaman wrote:
Boybees wrote:
Understand your frustrations

With the vast majority of the other NBA teams having rich corporations or billionaires (including Cuban, Balmer, Tsai and others), Lakers have been successful and won a ring just two years ago

Eric wrote an insightful article that illustrates the struggles Jeanie had with the comings and goings of Mitch to eldest Buss son to Phil to Magic to Rob (along with settling legal issues) along with (rightfully) catering to HOFers from the late/great Black Mamba to LBJ to AD under the glare of LaLaLand where only winning rings is expected

As stated previously, we expect more leadership from LBJ/AD since it was their direct wish/request to have Westbrook

Have they made mistakes - yes
Have they always gone for the fences/superstars - yes
Have they shown (usually) that they are loyal to their players - yes
Have they placed loyalty over winning (Kobe/LBJ) - yes
Has Jeanie that they are passionate about basketball - yes
Have the Lakers done better (overall) than Cuban, Balmer, Tsai and others - yes
Have the Lakers tested our patience - yes

Are we Laker Fans, YES!

I really appreciated this post. Thank you
I am truly grateful to have followed KOBE from High School to the Greatest NBA Franchise in History.
JUST-MING
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2022 8:14 pm    Post subject:

Eric got a shot out on TNT tonight (4 minutes left in the fourth quarter)
emplay
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2022 10:02 am    Post subject:

Thanks guys for the comments - Is what it is in terms of the content!

@JUST-MING - I missed that - I'll have to try and find it
emplay
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2022 10:52 am    Post subject:

@JUST-MING - found it - very cool, my wife is happy, as she loves that stuff.
socalsp3
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2022 4:05 pm    Post subject:

you left out the mishandled lou deng stretch. these are rookie GM mistakes that add up

Last edited by socalsp3 on Wed Apr 06, 2022 4:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
cthroatgtr
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2022 4:08 pm    Post subject:

Well written. Are you available to work for the Lakers clearly they need some help.
markjay
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2022 12:07 am    Post subject:

What makes me sad as a team fan for 60 years is how far the team leadership is from the kind of analytics required to compete successfully in sports in today's world. It’s especially in comparison to my other favorite sports team, the Dodgers, who use advanced analytics to put the best possible team on the field year after year.

Yes, the Dodgers may have deeper pockets due to their ownership, but the Lakers have a heckuva lot of TV money too. I think it is more a matter of how they spend their money rather than the amount they have. The Lakers just make decisions (like signing Westbrook) that make zero sense and that are based on the whims of their stars or the owners' friends, rather than based on serious analytics.
Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2022 3:24 am    Post subject:

markjay wrote:
What makes me sad as a team fan for 60 years is how far the team leadership is from the kind of analytics required to compete successfully in sports in today's world. It’s especially in comparison to my other favorite sports team, the Dodgers, who use advanced analytics to put the best possible team on the field year after year.

Yes, the Dodgers may have deeper pockets due to their ownership, but the Lakers have a heckuva lot of TV money too. I think it is more a matter of how they spend their money rather than the amount they have. The Lakers just make decisions (like signing Westbrook) that make zero sense and that are based on the whims of their stars or the owners' friends, rather than based on serious analytics.

They run it like a mom and pop shop. The Dodgers feel like a robust and professional organization from top down. Lakers don't have that visionary who can keep them on the cutting edge. Feels like they're stuck in the 90's.
emplay
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2022 12:38 pm    Post subject:

socalsp3 wrote:
you left out the mishandled lou deng stretch. these are rookie GM mistakes that add up

How did they mishandle the Lou Deng stretch? How did Deng's salary get in the way of the Lakers building a championship team?

I can argue that maybe they didn't use their flexibility entirely - some of that money opened up went to Cousins and Cook. But who knew Cousins would get hurt, he was solid on paper at that price.

And when I first saw Cook in practice playing with Caruso - I thought Cook would play a much bigger role offensively. Just didn't pan out.
emplay
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2022 12:38 pm    Post subject:

cthroatgtr wrote:
Well written. Are you available to work for the Lakers clearly they need some help.

I am, but as things are, the Lakers aren't hiring currently
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2022 6:45 pm    Post subject:

Ziggy wrote:
markjay wrote:

They run it like a mom and pop shop. The Dodgers feel like a robust and professional organization from top down. Lakers don't have that visionary who can keep them on the cutting edge. Feels like they're stuck in the 90's.
Lakers are definitely owned as a family organization that places their top priority of winning - with style and flash combined with star power that embraces NBA history.

There are many teams with definitely (lots more) financial resources but every team has to work within the salary cap.

One can run a team based on analytics (Dodgers) or on basketball knowledge (Lakers) with both teams winning a ring.

Lakers didn't have many players with "The Heart of a Champion" or the "Black Mamba Mentality."

When our "Big Three" didn't talk or connect or played well together, team is going upstream to win games.

When Westbrook says that he has "No Expectations" being a Laker, that is blasphemy since the Only Expectation is to win a RING. Westbrook wasn't MAD when the Lakers didn't even come close to their potential, he placed blame on Vogel (who started him in every game) and LBJ/AD. How can a PG, who has the ball (like Westbrook did at the beginning at the year) complained how the team is playing? Compare how CP3 made his teams better while Westbrook made teams he played on worse - nuff said

Ironically, the Nets have a bigger problem than the Lakers since KD/Kyrie were healthy (relatively speaking) the entire season and were swept in the first round

Mark Cuban, rich and passionate owner, has won far less rings than Jeanie
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2022 7:14 pm    Post subject:

Cuban has won the same number of rings as Jeanie
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2022 12:12 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Cuban has won the same number of rings as Jeanie
With Jeanie as the Head of the Lakers

Didn’t forget that Jeanie was in a power struggle with her brother (as Head of Basketball Operations) had a part time GM in Magic and had Mitch making many mediocre decisions - along with Kurt/Linda/Phil giving input

Cuban didn’t have such obstacles and has been “In Control” of Basketball Operations (acknowledging that Nico Harrison’s last tenure at Nike provides him the cachet/influence/effectiveness to make his own trades - lol / https://www.mavs.com/nico-harrison-press-release/)

Jeanie has allowed her GMs make the basketball decisions while approving the needed financial resources

Since 2000, Lakers have won 6 and the Mavericks won once

2021 Milwaukee Bucks 4-2 Phoenix Suns
2020 Los Angeles Lakers 4-2 Miami Heat
2019 Toronto Raptors 4-2 Golden State Warriors
2018 Golden State Warriors 4-0 (sweep) Cleveland Cavaliers
2017 Golden State Warriors 4-1 Cleveland Cavaliers
2016 Cleveland Cavaliers 4-3 Golden State Warriors
2015 Golden State Warriors 4-2 Cleveland Cavaliers
2014 San Antonio Spurs 4-1 Miami Heat
2013 Miami Heat 4-3 San Antonio Spurs
2012 Miami Heat 4-1 Oklahoma City Thunder
2011 Dallas Mavericks 4-2 Miami Heat
2010 Los Angeles Lakers 4-3 Boston Celtics
2009 Los Angeles Lakers 4-1 Orlando Magic
2008 Boston Celtics 4-2 Los Angeles Lakers
2007 San Antonio Spurs 4-0 (sweep) Cleveland Cavaliers
2006 Miami Heat 4-2 Dallas Mavericks
2005 San Antonio Spurs 4-3 Detroit Pistons
2004 Detroit Pistons 4-1 Los Angeles Lakers
2003 San Antonio Spurs 4-2 New Jersey Nets
2002 Los Angeles Lakers 4-0 (sweep) New Jersey Nets
2001 Los Angeles Lakers 4-1 Philadelphia 76ers
2000 Los Angeles Lakers 4-2 Indiana

Laker tradition/fan base demands/expects RINGS (despite what Westbrook says - lol) and their legacy have shown that their MO is that they always go for the Home Run that has let to tremendous failures (Shaq/Kobe/Mailman/Glove to LBR/AD/Westbrook/Melo) and success (Shaq/Kobe to Kobe/Pau to LBR/AD)

LaLaLand/Laker Fans expect much more next season.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: