If not a statue, should the Lakers at least retire Lebron's Jersey and hang it in the rafters?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

If Lebron retires a Laker, should they retire his jersey and hang it in the rafters?
Yes
41%
 41%  [ 17 ]
No
58%
 58%  [ 24 ]
Total Votes : 41

activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2022 11:24 pm    Post subject:

pokoy wrote:
Halflife wrote:
pokoy wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
pokoy wrote:
Wtf? Of course we’re gonna retire his jersey. How spoiled are Laker fans scoffing at “just one” title? lol Dude was the finals MVP and has been an all star every year he’s been here.

My point is, 5 years after he retires not many will think of him as a Laker.

Sure, but to the question, none of what many think of him as after he retires matters. He’ll be thought of as a Cav first, but he’s most definitely done enough as a Laker to have his jersey retired, period, end of story. This isn’t debatable unless people are being unreasonable or entitled. Unless he goes on a killing spree or slaps Kurt Rambis at a press conference, his jersey is going up in the rafters with Kobe’s and Worthy’s and everyone else who has been an all star and won a championship and Finals MVP here.

No he hasn’t. The scoring title is for him. Everyone acknowledges the bubble as being an asterisk. He’s a terrible leader but he is the leader of the worst lakers team in a decade.

You can bet there will be a back lash at the thought and that should be enough to stop it.

What is this “everyone acknowledges” bit? A title is a title. I’ve been around long enough to see titles discounted by opposing fan bases and in time people forget circumstances and just acknowledge the banner hanging in the rafters, hate to break it to you. The Spurs winning in the lockout season comes to mind, a lot of Laker fans actually kept trying to put an asterisk on that. Now no one cares about that one being a shortened season.

So now it’s the “bubble title” for other fan bases… and i guess some Laker “fans” which is pretty sad honestly. I enjoyed the hell out of that title, especially coming in the year Kobe passed away. Lakers still have 17 titles officially. Bron was the finals MVP that year. “Everyone” needs to get over it.

You need to put this in context. Half-Life is a guy who despises lebron. He puts up two dozen post a day criticizing lebron. Virtually no one on LG takes him seriously. I am not sure if he actually despises lebron, or he just gets enjoyment irritating people who like lebron.

At this snapshot in time, a lot of Laker fans, understandably, are frustrated how bad the team is.

In the long run, it doesn't matter. LeBron won a title here and he was an MVP in the finals here. He'll have his jersey retired as a Laker.
C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Prarie & Manchester, high above the western sideline

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2022 12:40 am    Post subject:

I guess...

Sister Golden Hair wrote:
LAMAR ODOM is an anagram for ... DOOM ALARM
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2022 5:34 am    Post subject:

1 championship
1 assist leading season
1 scoring leading season
2 lotteries

good enough for a banner
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2022 6:45 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
pokoy wrote:
Halflife wrote:
pokoy wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
pokoy wrote:
Wtf? Of course we’re gonna retire his jersey. How spoiled are Laker fans scoffing at “just one” title? lol Dude was the finals MVP and has been an all star every year he’s been here.

Sure, but to the question, none of what many think of him as after he retires matters. He’ll be thought of as a Cav first, but he’s most definitely done enough as a Laker to have his jersey retired, period, end of story. This isn’t debatable unless people are being unreasonable or entitled. Unless he goes on a killing spree or slaps Kurt Rambis at a press conference, his jersey is going up in the rafters with Kobe’s and Worthy’s and everyone else who has been an all star and won a championship and Finals MVP here.

No he hasn’t. The scoring title is for him. Everyone acknowledges the bubble as being an asterisk. He’s a terrible leader but he is the leader of the worst lakers team in a decade.

You can bet there will be a back lash at the thought and that should be enough to stop it.

What is this “everyone acknowledges” bit? A title is a title. I’ve been around long enough to see titles discounted by opposing fan bases and in time people forget circumstances and just acknowledge the banner hanging in the rafters, hate to break it to you. The Spurs winning in the lockout season comes to mind, a lot of Laker fans actually kept trying to put an asterisk on that. Now no one cares about that one being a shortened season.

So now it’s the “bubble title” for other fan bases… and i guess some Laker “fans” which is pretty sad honestly. I enjoyed the hell out of that title, especially coming in the year Kobe passed away. Lakers still have 17 titles officially. Bron was the finals MVP that year. “Everyone” needs to get over it.

You need to put this in context. Half-Life is a guy who despises lebron. He puts up two dozen post a day criticizing lebron. Virtually no one on LG takes him seriously. I am not sure if he actually despises lebron, or he just gets enjoyment irritating people who like lebron.

At this snapshot in time, a lot of Laker fans, understandably, are frustrated how bad the team is.

In the long run, it doesn't matter. LeBron won a title here and he was an MVP in the finals here. He'll have his jersey retired as a Laker.

Stop with the fake news. I am one of the few that doesn’t want to trade bron.

I am a realist at where he is. All of his pre lakers work doesn’t mean anything. Like I said he is a Jamal Crawford type on steroids.

He can not be the best player on a championship team. You can’t build around him, he is only now an elite scorer. He turns the ball over way too much. His D sucks.

Yes, there has to be a caveat on bubble title. That’s what an asterisk implies. It is a legit title for what it represents but to think there has ever been a season like that is a wrong . Our two best players breakdown and can’t handle the riggers of a season, that season eliminated that.

Players were expected to totally rewire everything they ever knew about a season. Our guys and especially Vogel and spoelstra were able to keep team focused.

It counts just the same but the circumstances weren’t. If his jersey is retired for what he’s done it takes a little shine off of the real ones up there.
pokoy

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2022 7:24 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
pokoy wrote:
Halflife wrote:
pokoy wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
pokoy wrote:

Ah okay. I haven’t been around much so I’m not up on who’s what here, just saw this thread and thought wtf. Definitely agree with your sentiments here. Been a frustrating season for sure, but that’s the thing with championships - no one can take them away. It’s why we’ve practically forgiven Shaq, it’s why we claim Wilt. This is a stupid topic.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2022 8:07 am    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
activeverb wrote:
pokoy wrote:
Halflife wrote:
pokoy wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
pokoy wrote:

Stop with the fake news. I am one of the few that doesn’t want to trade bron.

I am a realist at where he is. All of his pre lakers work doesn’t mean anything. Like I said he is a Jamal Crawford type on steroids.

He can not be the best player on a championship team. You can’t build around him, he is only now an elite scorer. He turns the ball over way too much. His D sucks.

Yes, there has to be a caveat on bubble title. That’s what an asterisk implies. It is a legit title for what it represents but to think there has ever been a season like that is a wrong . Our two best players breakdown and can’t handle the riggers of a season, that season eliminated that.

Players were expected to totally rewire everything they ever knew about a season. Our guys and especially Vogel and spoelstra were able to keep team focused.

It counts just the same but the circumstances weren’t. If his jersey is retired for what he’s done it takes a little shine off of the real ones up there.

from this point forward, anytime you respond to one of my posts, just reread my previous post and consider that the answer to you
MickMgl
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2022 4:37 pm    Post subject: Re: If not a statue, should the Lakers at least retire Lebron's Jersey and hang it in the rafters?

troy wrote:
Not advocating one way or the other, just curious as to how much Lebron is embedded in Laker Lore.

He got us one title. He rescued us from years of not making the playoffs. He will likely break the most revered NBA record (all time scoring) as a Laker, and he has carried this Lakers team as much as Kobe did, and in every season he's been here.

So, does that, at least, warrant a jersey retirement?

As much as Kobe did?????
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3
Jump to: