If not a statue, should the Lakers at least retire Lebron's Jersey and hang it in the rafters?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

If Lebron retires a Laker, should they retire his jersey and hang it in the rafters?
Yes
41%
 41%  [ 17 ]
No
58%
 58%  [ 24 ]
Total Votes : 41

J.C. Smith
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2022 12:12 am    Post subject:

He'll absolutely have his jersey retired. He's been here for several years already, won a title. was one of the best players in the league. What exactly is the argument against it?
daytripper
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2022 6:16 am    Post subject:

Lakerfan 4 Life wrote:
pierremonkey wrote:
I'd rather see Pau's jersey than Bron's jersey in the rafters.

Sounds like hater talk.

Sounds like his opinion. What 'hate' did he direct at Lebron.

FWIW I also believe Pau's jersey needs to be hung in the rafters ASAP for what he did for this team. The #23 should probably be the jersey in the rafters after Lebron's retirement.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2022 6:54 am    Post subject:

Lakerfan 4 Life wrote:
pierremonkey wrote:
I'd rather see Pau's jersey than Bron's jersey in the rafters.

Sounds like hater talk.

Yeah, sounds like a Pau hater.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2022 8:18 am    Post subject:

Both Pau and Lebron will get their jersey retired. It's not even a question. Come on. Probably AD will too.

HOF in prime/play big role
Won ring

=

Laker jersey retired.

Dwight would have gotten his retired too had he won a ring with Kobe. Anyone who comes to the Lakers at a HOF level and wins a ring with them gets their jersey retired eventually. I mean, it's not like Payton/Malone, or Dwight the second time around.

These guys were at a HOF level when they won these rings. They played great and fought like warriors in the ring (or in case of Pau rings) run.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2022 1:11 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
Both Pau and Lebron will get their jersey retired. It's not even a question. Come on. Probably AD will too.

HOF in prime/play big role
Won ring

=

Laker jersey retired.

Dwight would have gotten his retired too had he won a ring with Kobe. Anyone who comes to the Lakers at a HOF level and wins a ring with them gets their jersey retired eventually. I mean, it's not like Payton/Malone, or Dwight the second time around.

These guys were at a HOF level when they won these rings. They played great and fought like warriors in the ring (or in case of Pau rings) run.

The Lakers have a tradition of only retiring Hall of Famers. Beyond that, there isn't any official criteria.

We have retired one player who never won a ring with the Lakers (Baylor).

We retired one player who played as little as 4.5 years (Wilt).

The Hall of Famers with the most meaningful Lakers career whose number weren't retired were Bob McAdoo (4 years, 2 rings, as key 6th man) and Clyde Lovellette (4 years, 2 all-star appearances, one ring for old Minneapolis Lakers).

My guess is Pau will be voted into the Hall next year and the Lakers will soon after announce they will retire his jersey.

Lebron will get his jersey retired.

AD will probably get his jersey retired, unless his injury-ridden career here is too short.
1hu2ren3dui4
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2022 8:21 pm    Post subject:

Honestly I think a Jersey in the rafters is more prestigious of the two.
moonriver24
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2022 8:30 pm    Post subject:

on jersey, Pau first, Bron second.
And Fisher third. Probably.
Smush, last. Last thing to consider.
socalsp3
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2022 11:05 pm    Post subject:

dries
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2022 11:14 pm    Post subject:

That would be ridiculous.

And did someone say both his jersey # should be retired?
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2022 4:28 am    Post subject:

Lottery
Bubble title
1st round bounce
TBD
Let’s see where tbd lands but as of now hell no.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2022 4:54 am    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
Lottery
Bubble title
1st round bounce
TBD

Suggestion, just put this in your signature instead of in every thread? Sheesh.

His jersey is likely retired, as Wilt IMO is the precedent for that (HOFer, won a title with the Lakers).

AD may be the more interesting question as he will also be a HOFer and a title winner on the Lakers.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2022 6:11 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Halflife wrote:
Lottery
Bubble title
1st round bounce
TBD

His jersey is likely retired, as Wilt IMO is the precedent for that (HOFer, won a title with the Lakers).

AD may be the more interesting question as he will also be a HOFer and a title winner on the Lakers.

It’s valid as is your suggestion, in regard to wilt, he is an iconic figure with franchise. Bron is just an iconic player heat and cavs can do him the honors.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2022 8:25 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Halflife wrote:
Lottery
Bubble title
1st round bounce
TBD

Wilt shouldn’t be up there nor should Lebron. Neither were great Lakers. But I get the marketing aspect of it. As for AD, I would say never but I am biased, I can’t stand the guy.
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2022 12:42 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Halflife wrote:
Lottery
Bubble title
1st round bounce
TBD

IF AD can't get beyond his injuries, he may fall short of HOF status... LeBron can have his shirt hung in Cleveland and/or Miami.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2022 1:24 pm    Post subject:

deal wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Halflife wrote:
Lottery
Bubble title
1st round bounce
TBD

IF AD can't get beyond his injuries, he may fall short of HOF status... LeBron can have his shirt hung in Cleveland and/or Miami.

If AD retired tomorrow, he'd be a Hall of Famer -- 8 all-star teams, 4 all-NBA teams, 4 all-defensive team, the 75th anniversary team, 24-10 career average.

Basketball Reference puts him at a 98.5% chance of getting in the Hall. He's a first-ballot lock.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2022 1:30 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Halflife wrote:
Lottery
Bubble title
1st round bounce
TBD

Wilt shouldn’t be up there nor should Lebron. Neither were great Lakers. But I get the marketing aspect of it. As for AD, I would say never but I am biased, I can’t stand the guy.

Wilt deserves it. Ring. Finals MVP. 4-time all-star. Came in #3 and #4 in MVP voting. Led the league in rebounding four times. Set all-time record for FG% in a season. All-time Laker leader in rebounds per game.
pokoy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2022 4:41 pm    Post subject:

Wtf? Of course we’re gonna retire his jersey. How spoiled are Laker fans scoffing at “just one” title? lol Dude was the finals MVP and has been an all star every year he’s been here.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2022 5:57 pm    Post subject:

pokoy wrote:
Wtf? Of course we’re gonna retire his jersey. How spoiled are Laker fans scoffing at “just one” title? lol Dude was the finals MVP and has been an all star every year he’s been here.

My point is, 5 years after he retires not many will think of him as a Laker.
pokoy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2022 7:35 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
pokoy wrote:

Sure, but to the question, none of what many think of him as after he retires matters. He’ll be thought of as a Cav first, but he’s most definitely done enough as a Laker to have his jersey retired, period, end of story. This isn’t debatable unless people are being unreasonable or entitled. Unless he goes on a killing spree or slaps Kurt Rambis at a press conference, his jersey is going up in the rafters with Kobe’s and Worthy’s and everyone else who has been an all star and won a championship and Finals MVP here.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2022 7:43 pm    Post subject:

pokoy wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
pokoy wrote:

Sure, but to the question, none of what many think of him as after he retires matters. He’ll be thought of as a Cav first, but he’s most definitely done enough as a Laker to have his jersey retired, period, end of story. This isn’t debatable unless people are being unreasonable or entitled. Unless he goes on a killing spree or slaps Kurt Rambis at a press conference, his jersey is going up in the rafters with Kobe’s and Worthy’s and everyone else who has been an all star and won a championship and Finals MVP here.

No he hasn’t. The scoring title is for him. Everyone acknowledges the bubble as being an asterisk. He’s a terrible leader but he is the leader of the worst lakers team in a decade.

You can bet there will be a back lash at the thought and that should be enough to stop it.
nevitt_smrek
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2022 9:13 pm    Post subject:

KG is more deserving of a statue in Chowdah land. At least his teams were competitive every year.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2022 9:17 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
pokoy wrote:

But so what?

I think of Buck Williams as a Trailblazer, but the Nets retired his jersey too.

I think of Wilt as a 76ers, but the Lakers and Warriors retired his jersey too.

I think of Clyde Drexler as a Trailblazer, but Houston retired his his jersey too.

I think of Maravich as a Jazz, but the Hawks retired his jersey too.

I think of Earl Monroe as a Knick, but Washington retired his jersey too.

I think of Kareem as a Laker, but the Bucks retired his jersey too.

My prediction is Lebron will follow Wilt and be the second player to have his jersey retired by three teams.
pokoy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2022 9:33 pm    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
pokoy wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
pokoy wrote:

No he hasn’t. The scoring title is for him. Everyone acknowledges the bubble as being an asterisk. He’s a terrible leader but he is the leader of the worst lakers team in a decade.

You can bet there will be a back lash at the thought and that should be enough to stop it.

What is this “everyone acknowledges” bit? A title is a title. I’ve been around long enough to see titles discounted by opposing fan bases and in time people forget circumstances and just acknowledge the banner hanging in the rafters, hate to break it to you. The Spurs winning in the lockout season comes to mind, a lot of Laker fans actually kept trying to put an asterisk on that. Now no one cares about that one being a shortened season.

So now it’s the “bubble title” for other fan bases… and i guess some Laker “fans” which is pretty sad honestly. I enjoyed the hell out of that title, especially coming in the year Kobe passed away. Lakers still have 17 titles officially. Bron was the finals MVP that year. “Everyone” needs to get over it.
quartzcharm
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2022 10:51 pm    Post subject:

**** No! No way in ****!
hype
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2022 10:59 pm    Post subject:

pokoy wrote:
Halflife wrote:
pokoy wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
pokoy wrote:

What is this “everyone acknowledges” bit? A title is a title. I’ve been around long enough to see titles discounted by opposing fan bases and in time people forget circumstances and just acknowledge the banner hanging in the rafters, hate to break it to you. The Spurs winning in the lockout season comes to mind, a lot of Laker fans actually kept trying to put an asterisk on that. Now no one cares about that one being a shortened season.

So now it’s the “bubble title” for other fan bases… and i guess some Laker “fans” which is pretty sad honestly. I enjoyed the hell out of that title, especially coming in the year Kobe passed away. Lakers still have 17 titles officially. Bron was the finals MVP that year. “Everyone” needs to get over it.

Yeah, it's def. sad (and words I wont even use) that our own fan base says that honestly. I absolutely loved every second of that bubble run and imo is up there with some of my favorite Laker Championships with a huge reason being for my favorite Laker of all time in Kobe being honored beautifully on the court during that run.

Also, there is not going to be a backlash by "everyone" after he's retired for a few years.. He's going to clearly get the retired jersey and it's really not even a debate if we're just being honest. I'm not even the biggest fan of Bron at all but some of this over the top hate is a bit ridiculous to me and not really shared with the majority of fans that I have run into.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: