LAKERS -at- HAWKS - 1-30-22 - Thoughts and :-(( Ratings

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2022 1:27 pm    Post subject: LAKERS -at- HAWKS - 1-30-22 - Thoughts and :-(( Ratings

Losses Piling Up... The good news prior to the game was that AD and Monk would play. The bad news, LeBron returned to L.A. and is still out with the knee swelling. Atlanta, for its part, also added back some healthy players into their lineups.

The Lakers offense was on fire early, scoring 71 points on 71% to lead by 9 at the half. They only got separation in the last few minutes off the half when the defense started to get stops. That was the best shooting half for any NBA team this season.

The Hawks regained the lead briefly in the third, but behind an AD/Melo/Johnson/Reaves/Russ lineup the Lakers built up a 10-point lead before heading into the fourth.

With LeBron out, the Lakers depth obviously takes a massive hit. Where it really stood out was with those bench units as AD sat and also on those low-man rotations and defensive sequences that LeBron can be so disruptive on. The defense got beat with Okongwu getting behind the back line for dunks throughout this game.

In the fourth quarter, all of that came to play as the offense got more tunnel vision and the defense was consistently beat anytime they made a mental mistake. This game was tied with 1:33 left. The decision-making and execution down the stretch was very poor.

The Lakers were outscored 38-20 in the fourth. They fell 129-121, and their record slipped to 24-27 as they’ve dropped their last three.

“We’re under .500 so the margin of error is slim,” Vogel said.

Davis -- -- He had 18 points on 7-11 shooting. He worked the post a bit for jumphooks or drop-step reverses. Near the end of the half, the Hawks started to send the double teams. He’d hit a three, some midrange and some FTs. All of those shots looked very balanced. The jumper he missed was a forced, long, pull-up jumper, not great shot selection. In the second half, his next three wasn’t close. A key moment in the third, he got out-hustled by Capela on several plays. Then when he started battling better, he picked up two touch fouls in the paint, his third and fourth with about 7 minutes left in the quarter. Vogel gambled and left him in, sitting him with 2 minutes left and no fouls. FT shooting was looking good until he missed three in a row at the point in the game. In the fourth, he had a couple of dunks, a lob and a putback. Then two bad possessions, settling for long jumpers and missing. The second of those was especially bad as Monk had Trae on him with 4 minutes left and had just hit a three. Run a two-man game instead of perimeter iso and chew that up. Another late read by AD where we had an advantage on a flare screen that AD read late. Defensively, we got switchy late in the game, but the communication was not quite there. AD had Trae on one play, but once Trae gave up the ball we left him open for a big corner three. Overall, we’re seeing AD get back into game shape. I don’t think the motor/timing is quite there yet, but he’s picking it up by the game. The Stats: He scored 27 points on 10-20 shooting (1-3 from three, 6-9 from the line) to go with 5 boards, 4 assists, 2 steals, 1 block, 3 turnovers and 4 fouls in 36 minutes. He was a -3.

Westbrook -- -- I just want to see our trio on the floor right now. Some good moments finishing around the rim again early in this game. He’s had several games in a row now where he’s looked better at that. It could be he’s not rushing things because the spacing is better. It could be he’s changing pace better to get separation. A bit turnover prone in the first half with 4 as the team had 11 total. Cut down a few of those and they’ve got a much bigger lead at the half (he didn’t have a turnover in the second half). The passing with Monk slipping or rolling to the hoop early was effective. Really did not like how we struggled to integrate Monk at key junctures of the game later. Solid three shooting again, but still want those early offense pull-up threes out of the equation. Historically, just a very bad percentage play and you’ve got plenty of clock to try some other things. Also, not a fan of taking that lefty bank shot late in the game. He missed a big one there. The Stats: He scored 20 points on 8-15 shooting (2-4 from three, 2-5 from the line) to go with 7 boards, 12 assists, 1 steal, 4 turnovers and 1 foul in 35 minutes. He was a -6.

Monk -- -- We wasted this one from Monk. He led the team in scoring and rebounds, while also dishing out 5 assists. He had 19 points on 7-8 shooting in the first half. His very first jumper was a three in transition where he was able to get balanced and under control. It just looked like a practice shot, automatic. That got him going from three. Some excellent attacks off the dribble, breaking down the D and finding teammates for lobs. In the second half, we started out doing a poor job of finding him. He finally hit a three midway through the third quarter. Down the stretch, he’d knock down some big shots, including a three with 1:52 left. Where we failed badly in the second half was not running two-man actions consistently with Monk. Instead, we’d settle for an AD iso or even a Monk iso. In the final minute, AD missed a great flare screen set by Stanley. He hit Monk late and then that resulted in an iso missed three instead of an advantage. Monk should have given it back or worked into a two-man game. He was open at first and I think that played into that. He said afterward he should have given it back to AD to help create a better shot. We didn’t run/trust the two-man game enough. Blame goes to several guys and staff there. Frustrating lack of execution by the team, and we wasted a great game from Monk (whom I’m sure the Hawks might have a little interest in this offseason considering how he’s lit them up). Asked “how’s your groin?” He said, “It looks good, right.” Lol. Certainly, didn’t impact anything in this one. The Stats: He scored 33 points on 12-19 shooting (8-14 from three, 1-2 from the line) to go with 10 boards, 5 assists, 2 turnovers and 4 fouls in 38 minutes. He was a -4.

Johnson -- -- Late in the first half, we saw him start to blitz Trae off the screens. That resulted in a travel by Trae and another dribble turnover. Late in the third, some nice spark with a putback score off a missed Laker FT. He and AD teamed up on Trae with a blitz, AD deflected the pass and Stanley scored the And-1 layup. Shortly later, we’d then force a timeout when Stanley put up a brick wall pin-in screen on Trae that left Reaves wide open for a wing three. He got beat a bit letting guys get behind him for dunks on passes. I think this is where we really missed LeBron, who’s bigger and smarter on those low-man reads. That hurt us a bit today. Stanley hit a bit three with 3:29 left off a kickout by Russ. The Stats: He scored 10 points on 4-6 shooting (2-3 from three, 0-1 from the line) to go with 3 boards, 2 assists and 2 fouls in 29 minutes. He was a +5.

Bradley -- -- When you are playing against Trae, you want to attack him. Last time we faced the Hawks, Bradley had 21 on 8-11 shooting. He certainly wasn’t that aggressive today. It’s not just shooting how you can attack Trae’s D. Early on, we saw Bradley set screens for AD on occasion to try to free him up. But Trae was able to hide on him quite a bit today. Bradley’s lack of skill showed on one sequence in the first half when Trae was upset and trying to pressure him on D. That should be an easy blow by, but Bradley panicked and threw a bad pass away. He took a foul late in the game that irked both AD and his coach on Trae. They wanted to force him into pressure instead of that. Bradley fouled out. The Stats: He scored 4 points on 2-5 shooting (0-2 from three) to go with 1 board, 2 turnovers and 6 fouls in 22 minutes. He was a -6.

Anthony -- -- Didn’t guard anything early in this one. As soon as we brought him in, we lost a 5-point lead in a flash. HIs defense would get a little better with some tight challenges on Gallo and a steal dropping back to snag a pass. At the end of the third, he was yapping at the refs with the ball in his hands on iso about a no call, he’d then pick up a tech with 4 seconds left. He missed three straight threes early in the fourth and we ended up losing the lead when Lou hit a three over him off one of those. That was a bad stretch and a turning point in this one. The Stats: He scored 11 points on 5-11 shooting (1-5 from three) to go with 4 boards, 1 assist, 1 steal and 2 fouls in 21 minutes. He was a -8.

Reaves -- -- When Bradley sat for Reaves, Reaves was guarded by Trae. Here’s where we need to see Reaves be more aggressive, but his mindset/role typically isn’t that. When Trae sat, Reaves had Lou. Late in the half, we saw Reaves come in and the Lakers went on a run to close the half and get their biggest lead. They were finally getting some stops as a team. He was also in on the run late in the third quarter. He hit an open three off one of those great pin-in flare screens that Johnson consistently sets on the weakside. Reaves would also earn some FTs attacking off the three line and switching hands in air at the rim. Just a couple of assists (a nice one of a bad kickout that he turned into a swing pass for a three). Some moments defensively on Trae with a shotblock and another stop, but he got beat on a straight-line drive at one point. The Stats: He scored 6 points on 1-3 shooting from three (3-4 from the line) to go with 2 boards, 2 assists, 1 steal, 1 block and 3 fouls in 26 minutes. He was a -2.

Howard -- -- He came in for AD with 2 minutes left in the first quarter. Monk instantly found him for a lob. He was a -5 in those 7 first half minutes. With AD in a little foul trouble, we brought him back around the same time in the second half. We sat him after 5 minutes. Glad to see him out there instead of DJ. We really need to just let DJ go. The Stats: He scored 2 points on 1-2 shooting (0-2 from the line) to go with 4 boards and 1 foul in 12 minutes. He was a -5.

Horton-Tucker -- -- There was a drive in the second quarter where THT got tied up. The team went to timeout and several coaches were talking to him. He had Melo wide open on a pick and pop for three (after Melo had just made a three). Tunnel vision on the rim and THT missed the pass. I’ve got to think they were all pointing that out. THT was aggressive and getting to the paint for scores prior to that. Really, nothing after that play for the rest of the game. No assists in this one, no boards, no steals… a lot of nothing. The Stats: He scored 8 points on 4-5 shooting and had 1 turnover in 14 minutes. He was a -8.

Bazemore -- -- He came in late in the first quarter. These might have been Ariza minutes (with Bron at C instead of Howard). He basically ate some minutes, didn’t make any loud mistakes and had a little energy that helped. We mostly sat our oldest players. No Ellington, DJ or Ariza this game. I’m glad to see Baze back in rotation over that trio. We can find some spots for Ellington, but there are games we need more D than that. The Stats: He didn’t score on 0-1 shooting from three to go with 2 boards, 3 assists and 1 foul in 7 minutes. He was a -3.

Vogel -- -- Key Moment: This game was tied up with 1:33 left to go. We fouled on defense and trailed by 1. The execution down the stretch was poor. Our hoop IQ drops without LeBron, but how nice would the LeBron/Monk two-man game been in this stretch because that’s what we would have run. That or LeBron would have hunted Trae on switches. Without him in the mix, we really didn’t know what our bread and butter was on offense. And on defense, they sure seemed confused.

Key Substitution: While Melo led the bench, that early fourth quarter where he missed multiple threes hurt. We lost momentum there.

Key Stats: The Lakers finished the game shooting 54%. They shot worse from the line, 52.2% (12-23).
nshid
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2022 1:34 pm    Post subject:

First!
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2022 1:54 pm    Post subject:

nshid wrote:
First!

Second!

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2022 4:16 pm    Post subject:

OK I'll play. Third, but this losing streak sucks.
Laker4lifer4real
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2022 6:30 pm    Post subject:

THT left handed scoop was nice to see.
PenG_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2022 7:28 pm    Post subject:

Fifth!

Thanks DB

Two seasons of crap
DrDent
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2022 8:19 pm    Post subject:

Bah.

Thank you for the write-up DB.

This is not looking good. Dating back to last year after their 21-6 start, in regular season team is 45-51 (47-55 if you want to count playoffs). Injuries, different lineups, different personnel. We can blame whatever we want but, in the end, we are still looking at a mediocre product.

Only hope is the hopefuls that a healthy AD/Bron/RW team is vastly better than what we've seen are correct. Otherwise, we all know what's gonna happen already.
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2022 9:16 pm    Post subject:

Thanks DB.

I keep blaming injuries and thinking that, when whole, this is better than a .500 team (which I still believe).

But at this point, it seems like all the injuries and losing has created additional problems, as in emotional problems and chemistry problems.

I feel like the best we can do at this point is to start playing better if/when he get and stay healthy in order to build something positive for next season. We do have plenty of players who are keepers for next year.

But I'm honestly concerned about LeBron's hurt knee right now.
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2022 9:41 pm    Post subject:

Why are players that are consistently making “Discipline Mistakes” on defense still getting PT

The urgency is not there because they believe that once all their players are healthy (and remained healthy) that the chemistry will automatically happen and they will end????

Obvious AD can’t be Da Man during crunch time because he is a big

Westbrook is not Da Man during crunch time because of his inconsistency on offense/defense. Comparison: during crunch time, would CP3 would ISO to take the last shot - ala LBJ - who has shown that he will make crunch time shots.

What lineup has worked the best during crunch time
LBJ, Reeves, Johnson, Monk and AD???
DrDent
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2022 9:54 pm    Post subject:

slavavov wrote:
Thanks DB.

I keep blaming injuries and thinking that, when whole, this is better than a .500 team (which I still believe).

But at this point, it seems like all the injuries and losing has created additional problems, as in emotional problems and chemistry problems.

I feel like the best we can do at this point is to start playing better if/when he get and stay healthy in order to build something positive for next season. We do have plenty of players who are keepers for next year.

Unfortunately Slavavov, I think you hit the nail on the head.
Hard_Butter
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2022 11:26 pm    Post subject:

Sad truth is that I stopped caring at like game #25. The sadder truth is that my passion has waned with age and the trauma of rooting for draft position for multiple years. The reality is that this season was lost the moment we traded for Westbrook. My happy place is that I have witnessed 11 Lakers championships in my lifetime. That's 11 more than most fans get to feel regardless of sport. I'm good.

Summary...as a guy who bleeds P&G...didn't even watch....GO RAMS!

Kiss my Converse.
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2022 2:03 am    Post subject:

DrDent wrote:
slavavov wrote:
Thanks DB.

The “Win Now” mentality seemingly has transformed into complacency and the built-in excuse that injuries felled this team

***IF***
LBJ didn’t miss so many games
AD didn’t miss so many games
KNunn didn’t miss so many games
Basemore had more reps with Big 3
Ellington had more reps with Big 3
Ariza had more reps with Big 3

Since LBJ/AD are the leaders, the discipline and accountability are their responsibility

How they close games, is the best indication of their leadership in a team praising itself on its experience

Since the season starts after the ASG, the first few weeks after the ASG will be very revealing

Will Vogel tighten up the lineup?

Will these three display the leadership impact that CP3 is showing at Phoenix?

When will somebody get in the face of players that are still making discipline mistakes and giving the needed focus/energy/effort consistency since we are seeing a team resigned to be satisfied just getting into the playoffs via the play-in
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2022 9:39 am    Post subject:

A Mad Chinaman wrote:
DrDent wrote:
slavavov wrote:
Thanks DB.

The “Win Now” mentality seemingly has transformed into complacency and the built-in excuse that injuries felled this team

***IF***
LBJ didn’t miss so many games
AD didn’t miss so many games
KNunn didn’t miss so many games
Basemore had more reps with Big 3
Ellington had more reps with Big 3
Ariza had more reps with Big 3

Since LBJ/AD are the leaders, the discipline and accountability are their responsibility

How they close games, is the best indication of their leadership in a team praising itself on its experience

Since the season starts after the ASG, the first few weeks after the ASG will be very revealing

Will Vogel tighten up the lineup?

Will these three display the leadership impact that CP3 is showing at Phoenix?

When will somebody get in the face of players that are still making discipline mistakes and giving the needed focus/energy/effort consistency since we are seeing a team resigned to be satisfied just getting into the playoffs via the play-in

though tiny, but like 2020 a perfect storm is still a possibility. However that will need bron 100% and AD 100% for play-in.
mad55557777
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2022 10:55 am    Post subject:

https://twitter.com/UnwrittenRul3s/status/1488004757260148737
this is how teams attacking us nowadays, and that's just embarrassing how easy it was. what can our small guards do with 6'10 capella? it needed to be a trap
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2022 11:31 am    Post subject:

mad55557777 wrote:
https://twitter.com/UnwrittenRul3s/status/1488004757260148737
this is how teams attacking us nowadays, and that's just embarrassing how easy it was. what can our small guards do with 6'10 capella? it needed to be a trap

First, tag him. I don't care how big he is. Step in, Malik. Do your job regardless. Reaves would have been all over that. AD is positioned perfectly on that play to zone up two players and cause problems. Do your job in that situation.

Second, switch that. Let the guard beat Stanley (why else go small if not to switch more?) Let the big beat your small with a post up. Make him show you he can do it consistently. Typically, it's inefficient.

Third, you're right on the trap. I think Stanley cause two turnovers trapping. Keep blitzing, but even still, Malik would need to make that rotation that he didn't. So you are back to having your help needing to do their job and make that read early.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2022 11:40 am    Post subject:

slavavov wrote:
Thanks DB.

We were behind to begin with because we lacked continuity. They needed reps together to get this thing to work.

I said wake me up in February a few months ago because that's how long it felt like they needed. But that would have been with a HEALTHY roster getting time together. Now, we're still going sideways trying to get reps together and we've got 2.5 months before the playoffs.

I don't think the window is shut yet with this team peaking at the right time, but we need EVERYONE healthy for at least 2 months.

Seems very unlikely, but not impossible. All Star Break in three weeks.
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2022 5:21 pm    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:
slavavov wrote:
Thanks DB.

We were behind to begin with because we lacked continuity. They needed reps together to get this thing to work.

I said wake me up in February a few months ago because that's how long it felt like they needed. But that would have been with a HEALTHY roster getting time together. Now, we're still going sideways trying to get reps together and we've got 2.5 months before the playoffs.

I don't think the window is shut yet with this team peaking at the right time, but we need EVERYONE healthy for at least 2 months.

The only hope I have left (and it's a really faint hope) is that we get and stay healthy starting like right now, we get hot soon after the All-Star break, and we pull off an upset of Phoenix, Memphis or Utah in the first round (no way in hell we're beating GSW in the first round).

We would also need to somehow acquire a young 3-and-D PF who can comfortably play small-ball 5 so that we can glue Ariza and Melo's washed up butts to the bench most of the time.

If all that happens, I could see the mood changing almost 180 degrees, and at that point we'd probably have a real shot at the world championship, although the odds would still be against us since we'd be a low seed, with no HCA and no easy opponents in the playoffs.

Could it happen? Sure. Do I think it will happen, in my heart? Not at all, but I hope I'm wrong.
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2022 10:18 pm    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:
slavavov wrote:

Agree that health is the Number One Issue

With LBJ playing the fourth most minutes of any player in the NBA, it is amazing that he is playing at this high of play. (https://www.statmuse.com/nba/ask?q=lebron+james+2021-2022+ppg). Obviously there is a great need to have him play around 30 MPG.

Lakers were counting on Kevin Nunn (https://www.silverscreenandroll.com/2022/1/21/22895044/lakers-kendrick-nunn-lengthy-injury-rehab-setbacks-frustrating-tweet-twitter) to be a big part of this team. Hopefully he will be back after the ASG since it doesn't make any sense to bring him back before then. Since he came from the Miami Heat and good stats (https://www.espn.com/nba/player/_/id/3056247/kendrick-nunn), he will be an invaluable asset.

Getting a 3&D SF obviously would be great but one wonders how a high quality player would get his shots with LBJ and AD and Monk and Melo are in the risk (note: Anybody remember Glenn Rice - LOL). Stanley Johnson and Austin Reeves has filled the gap

Who is better - Buddy Hield or Malik Monk, we have the shooting

Caruso's Departure - He is missed but Reeves is doing many of the same things

Hield would fit better than Westbrook? Decision was made to find a player that can provide the needed leadership and production when LBJ/AD sit. Hield is just as porous on D as Westbrook and not a PG. Shooting is being found with Monk - hopefully with Bazemore and Ellington in the future playoff games

Westbrook recently showed signs that he has the ability to lead the team, but is he The Closer? Westbrook is trying to be like LBJ at the end of games bu doesn't have the same ability - few do. AD can't be closer since he needs a PG to get him the ball.

If we can keep Melo's MPG around 15, that would be the ideal number - if he is hitting his shots

Anybody have the stats on which lineup is the Lakers' best closing lineup?

Maybe AD/LBJ/Westbrook/Reeves/Johnson??
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2022 11:36 am    Post subject:

Oh look. The very next game Trae Young is DNP-Shoulder Contusion.

Never fails
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: