LAKERS -at- HORNETS - 1-28-22 - DIY Thoughts and :-(( Ratings

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 7:30 pm    Post subject: LAKERS -at- HORNETS - 1-28-22 - DIY Thoughts and :-(( Ratings

Taking this one off.

No Bron, AD, Monk (or Nunn). Lakers scored just 1 bucket in the first 6 minutes of the game. Starters couldn't hit anything early on (1-12 in the first quarter. Good effort the rest of the game.

Russ with 35 and with a chance to win it, couldn't connect on a three in the final shot.

Big stretch of games rom LeBron. Big game for AD in the last one. Big one from Russ tonight.

Can we get them all clicking at the same time?
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 7:45 pm    Post subject:

Take it off, have a great weekend DB.
Laker_Town
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 8:18 pm    Post subject:

That blocking call was costly.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 8:57 pm    Post subject:

Glad I didn’t do this one. The DVR didn’t cover the last 5 minutes.
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 11:19 pm    Post subject:

As Vogel shared, the beginning of the game was very bumpy with Lebron and AD not playing

-

From Lakeshore Life
https://lakeshowlife.com/2022/01/28/lakers-hornets-loss-dwight-howard-russell-westbrook/

"Then Frank Vogel makes a huge mistake at the end of the game.

At 2:37 left in the game, Talen Horton-Tucker gets called for a blocking foul on Miles Bridges.
The Lakers challenge the play for a possible charge.
Not only do they lose the challenge, the Hornets get the basket and a free throw!"
~ so states Lakeshore Life
Note: That was a charge, that Big Game and Big Shot both agree was a charge

"Have you noticed Johnson’s production has tailed off since the Utah game? He hesitates on his shots and gets into foul trouble in almost every game as of late.

2-7 for 4 points in 28 minutes is not going to cut it. Sure there were other Lakers who played worse, but there’s no set rotation for those guys. Vogel is going to force-feed Stanley Johnson whether he plays well or not."
~ They must be watching a different game. His screens, hustle and intensity in playing defense is still making a positive impact. His scoring is a secondary priority, which is why Melo started in the second half

"In the second half, Carmelo Anthony was the starting center"
~ uh, they needed offense production - lol!

"Now, this same writer is asking for the Lakers to release him and go to a contender because Frank Vogel will keep this petty stuff up for the rest of the season."
~ Vogel is always having players that he feels will win games

"Watch Lake Show Life’s smoke. The Lakers need Russ more than Russ needs the Lakers…

A message from Lake Show Life to Lakers Nation. Russ is here to stay…get over it and make it work!
There’s a reason why our readers love our post-game reports. We keep it real here!"
~ Another example that this forum is so much better than other sources

Lakers showed SPUNK
DrDent
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2022 12:27 am    Post subject:

Sigh
cathy78
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2022 3:07 am    Post subject:

A Mad Chinaman wrote:
As Vogel shared, the beginning of the game was very bumpy with Lebron and AD not playing

-

From Lakeshore Life
https://lakeshowlife.com/2022/01/28/lakers-hornets-loss-dwight-howard-russell-westbrook/

At 2:37 left in the game, Talen Horton-Tucker gets called for a blocking foul on Miles Bridges.
Not only do they lose the challenge, the Hornets get the basket and a free throw!"

"Have you noticed Johnson’s production has tailed off since the Utah game? He hesitates on his shots and gets into foul trouble in almost every game as of late.

2-7 for 4 points in 28 minutes is not going to cut it. Sure there were other Lakers who played worse, but there’s no set rotation for those guys. Vogel is going to force-feed Stanley Johnson whether he plays well or not."
~ They must be watching a different game. His screens, hustle and intensity in playing defense is still making a positive impact. His scoring is a secondary priority, which is why Melo started in the second half

"Now, this same writer is asking for the Lakers to release him and go to a contender because Frank Vogel will keep this petty stuff up for the rest of the season."

"Watch Lake Show Life’s smoke. The Lakers need Russ more than Russ needs the Lakers…

A message from Lake Show Life to Lakers Nation. Russ is here to stay…get over it and make it work!
There’s a reason why our readers love our post-game reports. We keep it real here!"

Lakers showed SPUNK

I don't understand this challenge call system. If Vogel challenges the call the refs have to review it? If it then clearly was called wrong during the game it should get changed, right? So why if it was a clear charge didn't this happen?
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2022 5:25 am    Post subject:

At least the team showed some fight

But the season is over if our best players can't play together.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2022 5:40 am    Post subject:

Sorry guys, my kids had activities and the early start I only got home in the 4th Q. When I read AD and LBJ were out, I sort of slowed down my return home. I'd do a recap, but I didn't catch the entire game.

Seems like Russ had a big game and it was run like is his preference everything through him as an alpha. But not shocked at the ending. We all knew he was going to take that 3, even though Melo was probably the better option.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
markjay
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2022 6:24 am    Post subject:

I’m not one to blame the refs for a loss, but that phony blocking call that turned into. 3-point play will a couple minutes left probably cost the Lakeshow the game. Too bad, because it was a nice comeback that could have given them a psychological boost
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2022 7:55 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
Sorry guys, my kids had activities and the early start I only got home in the 4th Q. When I read AD and LBJ were out, I sort of slowed down my return home. I'd do a recap, but I didn't catch the entire game.

Seems like Russ had a big game and it was run like is his preference everything through him as an alpha. But not shocked at the ending. We all knew he was going to take that 3, even though Melo was probably the better option.

This.
Laker7
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2022 8:49 am    Post subject:

Starters averaged a minus 12 while the bench players averaged over a plus 9.
Laker7
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2022 9:08 am    Post subject:

A Mad Chinaman wrote:

Johnson is shooting 46.7% from the floor as a Laker this year. I will take that over Ariza shooting 32.7% from the floor. Johnson has been bad from 3PT land at 29.7%, I will give you that. But there are much worse options out there.
PenG_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2022 9:12 am    Post subject:

The Lakers have done this so many times. Get spanked early, then force fans to watch an incredible comeback followed by the inevitable loss.

Happy for Russ. I believe Kobe was the last Laker to score 30 in a half. That was easily his best game of the season, but doing it without the big two only reinforces the pessimism of their fit.

I continue to be sooooooooo disappointed we chose THT over Caruso. He has his moments, but...
LakerDYnasty72
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2022 9:38 am    Post subject:

Of what I saw:

Russell- he looked like he truly enjoyed being what LeBron & AD said: "let Russ, be Russ". He was attacking with speed and force. At times, of course, he was going too fast as Shaq recently barked about his style of play. He also had a couple of his shots blocked because of his relentlessness.

He also limited his turnovers. Only question we all have is can he play like this with the other two alphas at the same time?

Reaves- I'm leaning toward thinking he's got to be a bit tired at this point in the season. But this young man is just plain fun to watch. He stoked a few of those jumpers beautifully, and got tapped on a couple of others. Ish Smith was burning him, and the Lakers, all night.

I kept waiting for Smith to cool off but hats off to him, he never did. But Reaves is a really nice piece to the team because he plays the game the right way.

Baze- came out hitting that J from the corners. The problem with him, as with a few others, is their productive play is inconsistent.

Johnson- he was the perfect type of physical presence to go head to head with Bridges. Johnson matched Bridges' physicality. Johnson is hitting almost 35% with his 3pt shot. It would be real nice if he can move the % a bit more. He even had one of them negated by a call by the officials.

The player with the sweetest jumper on our team, Carmelo, should have been taking the last shot...

Sorry, but a lost, and its details is not worth writing more about.
Startrout
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2022 10:08 am    Post subject:

I’m not sure I’ve ever seen a team that has comeback from such big deficits so many times, only to loose almost every time. I guess it’s a good sign that we can come back, but at the same time it doesn’t bode well for the playoffs where finishing difficult games is huge, and we suck at it.

If the team learns anything in this game it’s that free throws matter. There’s no excuse for missing so many. Also, our shooting has to be more consistent from range. Watching our best shooters clanking shot after shot has lost us the last two games (I’m talking to you Ellington).

Russ’s decision making at the very end of the game was horrible as usual. If I had to predict what would be the lowest percentage shot we could take at the end of the game, it would of been a contested Westbrook step back 3. No way he makes three 3-pointers in a row. Yes, he was playing well at that point in the game, but he should of been the distraction by attacking the basket, if the shot wasn’t there, kick out to Melo or anyone else (literally anyone on the team, including Dwight, would of had a better chance of making the 3 than the shot we got). I haven’t checked lately, but Westbrook probably is still the worst 3-point shooting guard in the league, and that is what we go with (again) when the game is on the line.

There were positives in the game and just the fact it was much closer at the end than anyone thought it would be is a good sign. Hopefully, we can build on that effort that got us that close.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2022 10:19 am    Post subject:

markjay wrote:
I’m not one to blame the refs for a loss, but that phony blocking call that turned into. 3-point play will a couple minutes left probably cost the Lakeshow the game. Too bad, because it was a nice comeback that could have given them a psychological boost

The one called for Westbrook or the one called against THT?
nshid
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2022 11:50 am    Post subject:

cathy78 wrote:

I don't understand this challenge call system. If Vogel challenges the call the refs have to review it? If it then clearly was called wrong during the game it should get changed, right? So why if it was a clear charge didn't this happen?

It was called a non-charge because THT flopped on the play. Yes, there was contact but that contact was exaggerated at the end of the game. Also, the play was initially called a block. Hard to overturn especially seeing THT's reaction to contact on the replay.
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2022 12:05 am    Post subject:

cathy78 wrote:
A Mad Chinaman wrote:

-

From Lakeshore Life

Lakers showed SPUNK

Stu and Big Game James had the same question
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: