I'm sick and tired of ex-Laker in our front office
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 4:50 pm    Post subject:

At least Kurt knows more people in the NBA than just Jeanie’s friends
lts
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 4:58 pm    Post subject:

Outspoken wrote:
It's the Lakers way. Bill Sherman was an ex Laker, Jerry West was an ex Laker, Mitch was an ex Laker.

The difference with them and now is Bill Sherman mentored Jerry West, Jerry West mentored Mitch. Nobody mentored Rob. Jeanie is just hiring people she trust, not necessarily people that would do a good job. Treating the Lakers like a mom and pop shop. You have to have a good eye for talent that could run front office. Understand their character, drive, what they can accomplish. Jerry Buss had those instincts, Jeanie Buss doesn't. Jeanie also doesn't oversee everything; like Jerry Buss did. Jeanie came out and said she has no idea about the basketball side of things. She just trust Rob and possibly Klutch to do a good job. She just signs off on it, without challenging it; like Jerry West had to do with Jerry Buss. West had to convince Buss it was a good idea.

Bill Sherman was an ex-Celtics actually. The starting of great franchise is to hire professionals to manage your firm, rahter your friend.
TDRock
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 5:57 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
SGV-Laker fan wrote:
TDRock wrote:
I remember seeing an interview with Jeannie... it's not about yesteryear nostalgia so much as it is about trust. Linda Rambis is one of her closest friends and she trusts the Rambis' to have her back completely. That probably goes a long way considering she couldn't even trust her own brother.

I'm not saying this is good or bad or that it's working. I'm just saying it's understandable to me.

this is the problem. she has trust issue. i don't understand if why she would have to worry about trust when hire someone else outside of organization. is that person going to pull the rug under her and commit a coup to steal her ownership? it sounds ridiculous right.

As a business owner myself, I don't know how TF one can operate a business with trust issues. It's mind-boggling.

Team is a complete (bleep) show and she's avoided the backlash far too long. No more interviews that start with "Well my Dad used to..." Seriously.you're 60. 60!!!!! Move t F on.

Yeah I mean I have been in business for myself in various iterations for over 20 years and .... while I can understand the desire to have people around you that you trust and feel you can trust to protect your interests, it's difficult to understand why the Lakers FO has been so cloistered since Dr. Buss' passing.

Honestly I think that is where Pelinka probably comes in. Magic is clearly in his feelings the way Jeannie appears to be, but you know Rob is a former agent he doesn't care about folks feelings
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 6:02 pm    Post subject:

Would have preferred Ryan West and Jesse Buss being in charge of us going forward, along with eventually Max Kupchak But it is what it is. Jeanie did what she did and she can't take it back, nor did she want to.
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 12:43 am    Post subject:

From what I've read, it seems like the Lakers FO started going downhill in the late 90s when Dr. Buss started delegating things to Jimmy Buss, even though Jimmy wasn't qualified to be in charge of basketball ops.

Seems like Phil Jackson kept things together all those years and probably brought good karma to the team. He also built a winning culture when he arrived, which the team badly needed in 1999.

I get that Jeanie is a sentimental woman, and that she also probably has the business acumen to run the team (she did get a degree in business).

But who gives an F about trust (when it came to hiring the Rambii)?

Kicking Jimmy out was the right move, but if she wanted Pelinka to replace him, why not keep Mitch as a mentor or a senior president of basketball ops or something like that?

The Buss family's obsession with nepotism will make it even harder for the team to rebuild once LeBron leaves. And when he leaves, I'm sure it will get really ugly, just like it did for the Cavs, Heat and Cavs again.
Outspoken
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 12:52 am    Post subject:

lts wrote:
Outspoken wrote:
It's the Lakers way. Bill Sherman was an ex Laker, Jerry West was an ex Laker, Mitch was an ex Laker.

The difference with them and now is Bill Sherman mentored Jerry West, Jerry West mentored Mitch. Nobody mentored Rob. Jeanie is just hiring people she trust, not necessarily people that would do a good job. Treating the Lakers like a mom and pop shop. You have to have a good eye for talent that could run front office. Understand their character, drive, what they can accomplish. Jerry Buss had those instincts, Jeanie Buss doesn't. Jeanie also doesn't oversee everything; like Jerry Buss did. Jeanie came out and said she has no idea about the basketball side of things. She just trust Rob and possibly Klutch to do a good job. She just signs off on it, without challenging it; like Jerry West had to do with Jerry Buss. West had to convince Buss it was a good idea.

Bill Sherman was an ex-Celtics actually. The starting of great franchise is to hire professionals to manage your firm, rahter your friend.

Bill Sherman coached the Lakers before he was an executive for the Lakers.
Batguano
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 3:46 am    Post subject:

slavavov wrote:
From what I've read, it seems like the Lakers FO started going downhill in the late 90s when Dr. Buss started delegating things to Jimmy Buss, even though Jimmy wasn't qualified to be in charge of basketball ops.

Seems like Phil Jackson kept things together all those years and probably brought good karma to the team. He also built a winning culture when he arrived, which the team badly needed in 1999.

I get that Jeanie is a sentimental woman, and that she also probably has the business acumen to run the team (she did get a degree in business).

Kicking Jimmy out was the right move, but if she wanted Pelinka to replace him, why not keep Mitch as a mentor or a senior president of basketball ops or something like that?

The Buss family's obsession with nepotism will make it even harder for the team to rebuild once LeBron leaves. And when he leaves, I'm sure it will get really ugly, just like it did for the Cavs, Heat and Cavs again.

LMFAO.

If Phil had had his way he would've traded Kobe for Jason Kidd and Shawn Marion and probably would've won 1 championship at most in the 2000's.

Any time a franchise loses a player of LeBron's caliber it's going to get ugly, no matter how well/badly run it is. When we "lost" the real Kobe to his 2013 achilles injury, it got ugly real quick.

The Heat are one of the best run organizations in the league, as evidence by their 3 championships and 6 finals appearances since the turn of the 21st century. Only the Lakers and Spurs have done better than them in that timeframe (Warriors have 3 championships and 5 Finals). The Cavs have been a poorly ran organization for most of that time, but are now uptrending. Even at their worst the Lakers have never shown that level of incompetence as a franchise.
paymonM
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 8:46 am    Post subject:

TDRock wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
SGV-Laker fan wrote:
TDRock wrote:
I remember seeing an interview with Jeannie... it's not about yesteryear nostalgia so much as it is about trust. Linda Rambis is one of her closest friends and she trusts the Rambis' to have her back completely. That probably goes a long way considering she couldn't even trust her own brother.

I'm not saying this is good or bad or that it's working. I'm just saying it's understandable to me.

this is the problem. she has trust issue. i don't understand if why she would have to worry about trust when hire someone else outside of organization. is that person going to pull the rug under her and commit a coup to steal her ownership? it sounds ridiculous right.

As a business owner myself, I don't know how TF one can operate a business with trust issues. It's mind-boggling.

Team is a complete (bleep) show and she's avoided the backlash far too long. No more interviews that start with "Well my Dad used to..." Seriously.you're 60. 60!!!!! Move t F on.

Yeah I mean I have been in business for myself in various iterations for over 20 years and .... while I can understand the desire to have people around you that you trust and feel you can trust to protect your interests, it's difficult to understand why the Lakers FO has been so cloistered since Dr. Buss' passing.

Honestly I think that is where Pelinka probably comes in. Magic is clearly in his feelings the way Jeannie appears to be, but you know Rob is a former agent he doesn't care about folks feelings

well, the franchise was handed down from father to daughter ..... it can't get any more cloistered than that

All we need is a side-by-side comparison between the Lakers and GSW ownership and our shotcomings become very clear.
lakersfever714
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 8:59 am    Post subject:

Outspoken wrote:
SGV-Laker fan wrote:
mad55557777 wrote:
i am sick of the Buss family in general.
i hope there won't be a day when Lakers players are getting booed at the Rams or dodgers games instead of the clippers, but the clippers has a deep pocket owner with vision and is committed to winning at all cost. when their Intuit dome goes into working, the Lakers better look out.

i totally agree with you, but unfortunately you and I will get burn here for saying this. good front office never reminiscing the old past, no matter how glorify that was. to be honest, outside of the bubble title (which lacks legitimacy) this team has been crap since the Kobe Gasol days. i am too wish we can have an owner who has deep pocket, willing to pay top $$$ for everything from front office, to head coach to medical and training staff down to the janitors.

You just need Jeanie to conform to the ways of spending. Understand it takes money, to make money. I don't think Jeanie would conform to those ways, same as having Linda and Phil around. These individuals, I feel are more of a detriment than people that add to the front office. I mean Jeanie wouldn't even hire Jerry West, an ex successful Laker to mentor Rob because she is (allegedly) holding a grudge against him. So maybe a change in ownership is essential or someone that know what they are doing from the Buss family grab reigns.

Jeanie is the stubborn type kinda like Jerry Jones. They won't admit they're failing at their roles. She's probably going to run the Lakers like how Jerry Jones's been running the Cowboys. Just an average team that never wins another championship but their team's market value continue to climb due to the market they're in.

No one could force her to sell just like no one could force Jerry Jones to give up control. The fans would just have to live with it. As a diehard Laker fan, my heart broke when I realized we're going to be mediocre for a long time and there's nothing we could do about it.
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 6:06 pm    Post subject:

Batguano wrote:
slavavov wrote:

LMFAO.

If Phil had had his way he would've traded Kobe for Jason Kidd and Shawn Marion and probably would've won 1 championship at most in the 2000's.

Any time a franchise loses a player of LeBron's caliber it's going to get ugly, no matter how well/badly run it is. When we "lost" the real Kobe to his 2013 achilles injury, it got ugly real quick.

The Heat are one of the best run organizations in the league, as evidence by their 3 championships and 6 finals appearances since the turn of the 21st century. Only the Lakers and Spurs have done better than them in that timeframe (Warriors have 3 championships and 5 Finals). The Cavs have been a poorly ran organization for most of that time, but are now uptrending. Even at their worst the Lakers have never shown that level of incompetence as a franchise.

When Phil wanted to trade Kobe, it had nothing to do with basketball and everything to do with Phil thinking that Kobe was, in his own words, a "juvenile narcissist" (according to Jeff Pearlman's book).

When Phil came back in 2005 he wised up. He was a better judge of talent than he seemed, but of course he preferred vets who happened to have almost no athleticism left because he was married to his triangle offense.

Having a Kobe, Shaq and Pau is a great way to hide the problems of the front office. The 90s Bulls also had real problems in the front office, but they won the chip every year Jordan played a full season.

Seems like the real test is what management does when it doesn't have a contending team, or when it has to rebuild.

At various times since the late 90s the Lakers have shown incompetence as a franchise, and that includes a couple of times when they had enough talent to contend for a title.
TDRock
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 6:21 pm    Post subject:

paymonM wrote:
TDRock wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
SGV-Laker fan wrote:
TDRock wrote:

well, the franchise was handed down from father to daughter ..... it can't get any more cloistered than that

All we need is a side-by-side comparison between the Lakers and GSW ownership and our shotcomings become very clear.

Businesses get handed down through families all the time and don't implode tho. There's nothing stopping Jeannie from hiring knowledgable outside folks and not just recycling Old Laker heads lol
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 6:47 pm    Post subject:

It would be worth the entertainment value to see Lebron’s head explode if Jeanie brought in Phil.
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 7:44 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
It would be worth the entertainment value to see Lebron’s head explode if Jeanie brought in Phil.

You know she wants it. Head coach Kurt Rambis, assistant coach Luke Walton, GM magic Johnson, VP of bball operation phil Jackson. Might as well move the team back to the Forum.
TDRock
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 8:34 pm    Post subject:

SGV-Laker fan wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

You know she wants it. Head coach Kurt Rambis, assistant coach Luke Walton, GM magic Johnson, VP of bball operation phil Jackson. Might as well move the team back to the Forum.

I LOLd but seriously I would die if even ONE of those things were to happen.

acer77
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 8:48 pm    Post subject:

17 banners but OMG Lakers have no idea what they're doing.

Let's instead jump on the Clippers bandwagon that has never even made it to the Finals in 51 years.

SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 9:16 pm    Post subject:

acer77 wrote:

Let's instead jump on the Clippers bandwagon that has never even made it to the Finals in 51 years.

So using your analogy, people should not even pay attention to iPhones back in 2007, after all, Nokia and Motorola has been making phones long before apple. What’s the point of looking back?
acer77
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 9:30 pm    Post subject:

I had the original iPhone and you could instantly tell that it was far superior to anything else out there. Sounds nothing like the Clippers.

paymonM
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:55 pm    Post subject:

TDRock wrote:
paymonM wrote:
TDRock wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
SGV-Laker fan wrote:
TDRock wrote:

Businesses get handed down through families all the time and don't implode tho. There's nothing stopping Jeannie from hiring knowledgable outside folks and not just recycling Old Laker heads lol

no, there is nothing stopping her from hiring knowledgeable outside folks. If she has not done it by now, and clearly she hasn't, it's because she either lacks vision or she's incompetent. There is a big difference between going out and starting a business, versus having it handed down to you.

If it weren't for Dr. Buss handing her a family business, would she be capable of becoming a NBA owner on her own, or even holding an executive position at any NBA franchise.

This is her twitter page:
https://twitter.com/jeaniebuss?lang=en

let that sink in.

Unfortunately, whether we like her or not, we are stuck with her as an owner. To this day, she has shown that this job is way over her head.
Palin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 1:27 am    Post subject:

If Jeanie so obsessed with ex Laker connection why not go with one from Pat Riley's FO tree?

For example hire this guy to replace Pelinka:

Quote:

ADAM SIMON
In his current capacity as Assistant GM for the HEAT, Simon assists Pat Riley and Andy Elisburg in all aspects of player personnel. During his time as Assistant GM, Simon has played an integral role in Miami drafting Tyler Herro, Bam Adebayo, Justise Winslow, Josh Richardson and KZ Okpala and acquiring undrafted players such as Derrick Jones, Jr., Duncan Robinson, Kendrick Nunn and Hassan Whiteside.
Bard207
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 3:05 am    Post subject:

Palin wrote:
If Jeanie so obsessed with ex Laker connection why not go with one from Pat Riley's FO tree?

For example hire this guy to replace Pelinka:

Quote:

ADAM SIMON
In his current capacity as Assistant GM for the HEAT, Simon assists Pat Riley and Andy Elisburg in all aspects of player personnel. During his time as Assistant GM, Simon has played an integral role in Miami drafting Tyler Herro, Bam Adebayo, Justise Winslow, Josh Richardson and KZ Okpala and acquiring undrafted players such as Derrick Jones, Jr., Duncan Robinson, Kendrick Nunn and Hassan Whiteside.

I thought that Sacramento drafted Whiteside.
Batguano
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 6:22 am    Post subject:

SGV-Laker fan wrote:
acer77 wrote:

So using your analogy, people should not even pay attention to iPhones back in 2007, after all, Nokia and Motorola has been making phones long before apple. What’s the point of looking back?

Worst analogy ever, especially considering the Lakers just won the championship 14 months ago and were considered favorites last season until injury struck.
Batguano
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 6:29 am    Post subject:

slavavov wrote:
Batguano wrote:
slavavov wrote:

LMFAO.

When Phil wanted to trade Kobe, it had nothing to do with basketball and everything to do with Phil thinking that Kobe was, in his own words, a "juvenile narcissist" (according to Jeff Pearlman's book).

When Phil came back in 2005 he wised up. He was a better judge of talent than he seemed, but of course he preferred vets who happened to have almost no athleticism left because he was married to his triangle offense.

Having a Kobe, Shaq and Pau is a great way to hide the problems of the front office. The 90s Bulls also had real problems in the front office, but they won the chip every year Jordan played a full season.

Seems like the real test is what management does when it doesn't have a contending team, or when it has to rebuild.

At various times since the late 90s the Lakers have shown incompetence as a franchise, and that includes a couple of times when they had enough talent to contend for a title.

And yet they've gone to more finals and won more than ANYONE in the league since the turn of the century. But I guess they just stumbled upon success through pure, dumb luck...
Bard207
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 8:19 am    Post subject:

Batguano wrote:
slavavov wrote:
Batguano wrote:
slavavov wrote:

LMFAO.

And yet they've gone to more finals and won more than ANYONE in the league since the turn of the century. But I guess they just stumbled upon success through pure, dumb luck...

They pulled off a great move with the Vlade - Kobe (draft rights) trade a few decades ago. If they aren't able to do something similar soon, the future could be a bit dim.

Some people weight the past equally when projecting/predicting the future while others give a heavier weighting to the most recent past which hasn't been as good as the distant past.

I will apply a heavier weighting to the recent past to account for teams mostly being smarter than a few decades ago and a shift in economics with some franchises having owners with more financial resources than the Buss family. You are free to apply the same weighting to the distant past and the recent past when projecting/predicting the future.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:47 am    Post subject:

Batguano wrote:
SGV-Laker fan wrote:
acer77 wrote:

Worst analogy ever, especially considering the Lakers just won the championship 14 months ago and were considered favorites last season until injury struck.

They weren’t favorites last season, they were a play in team. And lost in the first round to the higher seed as was expected. And this season they will be a play in team again at best.
Batguano
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 10:09 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Batguano wrote:
SGV-Laker fan wrote:
acer77 wrote:

They weren’t favorites last season, they were a play in team. And lost in the first round to the higher seed as was expected. And this season they will be a play in team again at best.

When the season started (before the injures) they were. Stop it, old man river.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: