This season is over when we traded for Westbrook
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

 
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 11 Dec 2015
Posts: 10531

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2022 8:30 am    Post subject:

Nonamehero wrote:
AFireInside619 wrote:
This guy makes a selfish, “look at me, I was right, and you’re all wrong” Westbrook thread and everyone here took the bait. There’s a Westbrook thread, there’s a free agent thread, and there’s a game thread, but for some reason, this guy thinks what he has to say is so important that a new “cry about Westbrook” thread was needed.


You kinda described Westbrook game lol.

Look I knew the season was over once this trade happened, and a lot of you were in denial.

I didn’t want to be right. I wanted to eat my word and see us holding a trophy at the end of year.
I hate it that I am 100% right.

But I have the right to state my frustration to fellow lakers fan.

As we are all pissed as well at this moment.


Fair enough. We are all pissed right now. I guarantee the front office hears it and knows they messed up. The question is, is there anything they can do about it, even if a trade was available. How would that look?

Lebron traded Dwayne Wade same time of the year, that’s not a problem for him.
_________________
“You have to dance beautifully in the box that you are comfortable dancing in.” - Kobe Bryant
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
King Randle
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 21 Jul 2014
Posts: 5756

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2022 8:36 am    Post subject:

dcarter4kobe wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
I tried to cope with it but the fit issue was pretty apparent. We are likely stuck with him.

Sadly, the best course is to try our best to maximize what he can contribute. But alternatively, Lakers may have to consider trying to dissuade him from picking up that 47m option. I don't think Vogel benches him, but would he take him out of clutch situations?


Bad fit, age, contract. Incompetence


Well said...I was an advocate of the trade...wow buyers remorse 10x...never realized how pathetic he is and to compound it he's arrogant and doesn't hold himself accountable....just a lose, lose with this guy. It's incomprehensible how you can be in the league this long and shoot so poorly...not talking about 3's, just an easy pull up 15 footer. We definingly are stuck with him so the hope is Nunn will impress and Russ is benched down the stretch of close games. F-him.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Threatt_Level
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation


Joined: 30 Jul 2014
Posts: 376

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2022 8:38 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
But alternatively, Lakers may have to consider trying to dissuade him from picking up that 47m option. I don't think Vogel benches him, but would he take him out of clutch situations?


Russ' agent won't allow him to decline that option. That would be malpractice on his part.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Nonamehero
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation


Joined: 31 Oct 2018
Posts: 231

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2022 8:40 am    Post subject:

AFireInside619 wrote:
Nonamehero wrote:
AFireInside619 wrote:
This guy makes a selfish, “look at me, I was right, and you’re all wrong” Westbrook thread and everyone here took the bait. There’s a Westbrook thread, there’s a free agent thread, and there’s a game thread, but for some reason, this guy thinks what he has to say is so important that a new “cry about Westbrook” thread was needed.


You kinda described Westbrook game lol.

Look I knew the season was over once this trade happened, and a lot of you were in denial.

I didn’t want to be right. I wanted to eat my word and see us holding a trophy at the end of year.
I hate it that I am 100% right.

But I have the right to state my frustration to fellow lakers fan.

As we are all pissed as well at this moment.


Fair enough. We are all pissed right now. I guarantee the front office hears it and knows they messed up. The question is, is there anything they can do about it, even if a trade was available. How would that look?

Lebron traded Dwayne Wade same time of the year, that’s not a problem for him.


Getting rid of him even just for expiring contracts and some picks is worth it.

I don’t think we can get positive contribution assets for him at this point.
Unless we can find a GM as stupid as ours.

Don’t try to trade for John Wall or Ben Simmons, they are more or less same problem, though probably these players are more tradeable than wetsbrick.

I would try to trade him just to get rid of him as long as we don’t get stupid long contract back.

They need to explore all options possible.

But most likely we will have to wait until next year where he is an expiring contract that is worth some assets.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Chick's Magic Johnson
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation


Joined: 25 Mar 2016
Posts: 684

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2022 9:38 am    Post subject:

Dennis100mtrash wrote:
99% of the people were in shock after this trade and hated it.

Then like Dennis he opened his mouth and said championship's are not his goal

🙄


That's some revisionist history. I sure remember TONS of posters here that loved acquiring WB and trashed anyone that brought up the potential downside of the deal. Same with the team letting AC go ... everyone called him an overrated role player and there was a hugely vocal contingent of backers for both decisions.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Chick's Magic Johnson
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation


Joined: 25 Mar 2016
Posts: 684

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2022 9:39 am    Post subject:

Nonamehero wrote:
AFireInside619 wrote:
Nonamehero wrote:
AFireInside619 wrote:
This guy makes a selfish, “look at me, I was right, and you’re all wrong” Westbrook thread and everyone here took the bait. There’s a Westbrook thread, there’s a free agent thread, and there’s a game thread, but for some reason, this guy thinks what he has to say is so important that a new “cry about Westbrook” thread was needed.


You kinda described Westbrook game lol.

Look I knew the season was over once this trade happened, and a lot of you were in denial.

I didn’t want to be right. I wanted to eat my word and see us holding a trophy at the end of year.
I hate it that I am 100% right.

But I have the right to state my frustration to fellow lakers fan.

As we are all pissed as well at this moment.


Fair enough. We are all pissed right now. I guarantee the front office hears it and knows they messed up. The question is, is there anything they can do about it, even if a trade was available. How would that look?

Lebron traded Dwayne Wade same time of the year, that’s not a problem for him.


Getting rid of him even just for expiring contracts and some picks is worth it.

I don’t think we can get positive contribution assets for him at this point.
Unless we can find a GM as stupid as ours.

Don’t try to trade for John Wall or Ben Simmons, they are more or less same problem, though probably these players are more tradeable than wetsbrick.

I would try to trade him just to get rid of him as long as we don’t get stupid long contract back.

They need to explore all options possible.

But most likely we will have to wait until next year where he is an expiring contract that is worth some assets.


Name me a team that would GIVE US PICKS and expiring contracts for Russ and then try to put that deal together. It ain't happening.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Threatt_Level
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation


Joined: 30 Jul 2014
Posts: 376

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2022 9:40 am    Post subject:

Nonamehero wrote:


Don’t try to trade for John Wall or Ben Simmons, they are more or less same problem, though probably these players are more tradeable than wetsbrick.

I would try to trade him just to get rid of him as long as we don’t get stupid long contract back.

They need to explore all options possible.

But most likely we will have to wait until next year where he is an expiring contract that is worth some assets.


Ben Simmons is an all-NBA defender. He would bring a needed skill set to this team. I doubt Westbrook has any value as an expiring contract next year. I don't see many teams tying up $47 million of their cap unless they're dumping toxic contracts back on us, or it's an OKC situation where they're way under the cap and could take a toxic contract to get picks.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Nonamehero
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation


Joined: 31 Oct 2018
Posts: 231

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2022 9:49 am    Post subject:

Threatt_Level wrote:
Nonamehero wrote:


Don’t try to trade for John Wall or Ben Simmons, they are more or less same problem, though probably these players are more tradeable than wetsbrick.

I would try to trade him just to get rid of him as long as we don’t get stupid long contract back.

They need to explore all options possible.

But most likely we will have to wait until next year where he is an expiring contract that is worth some assets.


Ben Simmons is an all-NBA defender. He would bring a needed skill set to this team. I doubt Westbrook has any value as an expiring contract next year. I don't see many teams tying up $47 million of their cap unless they're dumping toxic contracts back on us, or it's an OKC situation where they're way under the cap and could take a toxic contract to get picks.


I know options are limited.

But hey the Wizards find us, so miracle can happen.

I think the only thing they should do and focus on is try to get rid of Westbrook.

If it doesn’t happen, oh well, but it should be the only thing on Rob mind right now.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Nonamehero
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation


Joined: 31 Oct 2018
Posts: 231

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2022 9:51 am    Post subject:

King Randle wrote:
dcarter4kobe wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
I tried to cope with it but the fit issue was pretty apparent. We are likely stuck with him.

Sadly, the best course is to try our best to maximize what he can contribute. But alternatively, Lakers may have to consider trying to dissuade him from picking up that 47m option. I don't think Vogel benches him, but would he take him out of clutch situations?


Bad fit, age, contract. Incompetence


Well said...I was an advocate of the trade...wow buyers remorse 10x...never realized how pathetic he is and to compound it he's arrogant and doesn't hold himself accountable....just a lose, lose with this guy. It's incomprehensible how you can be in the league this long and shoot so poorly...not talking about 3's, just an easy pull up 15 footer. We definingly are stuck with him so the hope is Nunn will impress and Russ is benched down the stretch of close games. F-him.


Sorry that I have to jump on you.

But I just can’t fathom anyone being a advocate of the trade if they ever watched Westbrook play.

It was apparent in the earlier days of OKC that Wedtbrick probably cause Durant a championship with his net negative plays.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Chick's Magic Johnson
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation


Joined: 25 Mar 2016
Posts: 684

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2022 9:58 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
I tried to cope with it but the fit issue was pretty apparent. We are likely stuck with him.

Sadly, the best course is to try our best to maximize what he can contribute. But alternatively, Lakers may have to consider trying to dissuade him from picking up that 47m option. I don't think Vogel benches him, but would he take him out of clutch situations?


That really seems like the only path forward. Benching WB in the clutch and reducing his minutes, sadly, has two benefits: improving the team and embarrassing him. I doubt he gets embarrassed enough to leave $47M on the table ... but it's worth a shot at this point.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
LakersMD
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 27 Jun 2003
Posts: 7725

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2022 10:42 am    Post subject:

Merge this.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
chains
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation


Joined: 14 May 2001
Posts: 668

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2022 10:48 am    Post subject: Since we F'd Up

2019 wrote:
Westbrook has been bad and so has the trash roster construction around him given Jeanie didn't want to pay to keep adding. Should have kept AC and Dennis.

FWIW.. we could have had this roster by more or less running it back and adding key guys:

AD, Dwight
Kuz, Melo, Ariza
LeBron, THT, Reaves
KCP, Caruso, Wayne
Monk, Dennis, Bradley

That doesn't include using the mMLE which would offset some of the fees and could have been saved for the buyout market. Nor does it include Trezz or the 1st who could have been packaged with THT for something crucial.

We also could have traded for Lowry last year and still had the pieces for Buddy Hield and then bringing back AC + adding Monk, etc.

Stupid move after stupid move.



We know we F'd up with WestJunk. Why does Vogel feel compelled to play him. He is horrible and is costing the team games with his turnovers and bricks.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Nonamehero
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation


Joined: 31 Oct 2018
Posts: 231

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2022 11:22 am    Post subject: Re: Since we F'd Up

chains wrote:
2019 wrote:
Westbrook has been bad and so has the trash roster construction around him given Jeanie didn't want to pay to keep adding. Should have kept AC and Dennis.

FWIW.. we could have had this roster by more or less running it back and adding key guys:

AD, Dwight
Kuz, Melo, Ariza
LeBron, THT, Reaves
KCP, Caruso, Wayne
Monk, Dennis, Bradley

That doesn't include using the mMLE which would offset some of the fees and could have been saved for the buyout market. Nor does it include Trezz or the 1st who could have been packaged with THT for something crucial.

We also could have traded for Lowry last year and still had the pieces for Buddy Hield and then bringing back AC + adding Monk, etc.

Stupid move after stupid move.



We know we F'd up with WestJunk. Why does Vogel feel compelled to play him. He is horrible and is costing the team games with his turnovers and bricks.


I think Vogel is the last to blame here.

He is being dealt a bad hand.

No matter how he plays it, it stinks.

I don’t think he has enough authority to bench Russell.

Lay this blame on Lebron and AD for being completely blind of Westbrook weakness even though they just exploited it to win a championship.

But mostly blame it on Rob who was stupid enough to listen to them.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 17 Jun 2006
Posts: 32857

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2022 11:28 am    Post subject: Re: This season is over when we traded for Westbrook

Nonamehero wrote:
I told you all.

Most were still in denial.

The worst is that not only this season is done, Westbrook trade set us up for failure probably for a long time.

Trade him for picks if you can now.

Lebron and AD are idiots for wanting Westbrook. Seriously getting Westbrook on the lakers almost (I said almost) nullify the fact Lebron got us a ring.
It was the worst nightmare that came true when I saw the news.

Thought it was a joke, no one is that stupid right?
Apparently our GM and star players all are.

Wizards probably laughed their ass off after they pull off the trade, and the fact they got a first round pick as well, this is probably the biggest robbery ever. Wizard would probably have gotten rid of Westbrook for just Kuzma if the salary allows it.

We trade all net positive assets for a net negative asset.

Lol

I mean someone would literally have to pay me to let me take Westbrook on my team unless my goal is to tank and be in the lottery.

And the fact we just exploited Westbrook weakness the last time we won a championship.

Westbrook biggest issue is lack of self awareness, I don’t even think he is lazy or doesn’t try. But the dude has zero IQ in self awareness.

He is just extremely tunnel visioned.

He cant even improve his jump shot.
He cant understand that he over dribble way too much
He doesn’t know he sucks at team defense
He cant understand the value of developing a off bad game.

He doesn’t know his own weakness and thus can’t never improve as a player.

He just keep doing the same things over and over again.

That’s probably what he practice as well (since he thinks that’s his strength)

Which is
Pounding the ball until the air is out
Driving wildly to the rim (he probably think that’s the only style he can play and he master it)
Shooting the ball with no proper shot mechanic or rhythm (he probably thinks only geek practice shot mechanic)

The dude relied on his physical gift for way too long and never can see his own weakness thus he never really improved overall skill wise as a basketball player.


I question why you think this post, which duplicates many thoughts already in the Westbrook and free agent threads, needed to be its own thread.

I don't have a problem with a "me too" post. But it's pretty egotistical to think your "me too" post deserves its own thread.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
troy
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 30 Jan 2013
Posts: 3569

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2022 12:01 pm    Post subject:

Westbrook solutions?

You cannot trade him. Not happening. No interest and a horrid contract.
You cannot bench him (ala Bazemore). And make Jeanie and Rob look bad? Not happening, not for $44 million. Ask him to change for the better? With his ego? No. You can't teach an old dog new tricks.

The only solution is to wait for Nunn and AD to get back, and then reduce his minutes. RW should be playing no greater than 20-24 minutes per game. This is the only feasible way we have a chance of winning. We can at least minimize the damage RW's turnovers and missed layups create.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
King Randle
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 21 Jul 2014
Posts: 5756

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2022 12:46 pm    Post subject:

Nonamehero wrote:
King Randle wrote:
dcarter4kobe wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
I tried to cope with it but the fit issue was pretty apparent. We are likely stuck with him.

Sadly, the best course is to try our best to maximize what he can contribute. But alternatively, Lakers may have to consider trying to dissuade him from picking up that 47m option. I don't think Vogel benches him, but would he take him out of clutch situations?


Bad fit, age, contract. Incompetence


Well said...I was an advocate of the trade...wow buyers remorse 10x...never realized how pathetic he is and to compound it he's arrogant and doesn't hold himself accountable....just a lose, lose with this guy. It's incomprehensible how you can be in the league this long and shoot so poorly...not talking about 3's, just an easy pull up 15 footer. We definingly are stuck with him so the hope is Nunn will impress and Russ is benched down the stretch of close games. F-him.


Sorry that I have to jump on you.

But I just can’t fathom anyone being a advocate of the trade if they ever watched Westbrook play.

It was apparent in the earlier days of OKC that Wedtbrick probably cause Durant a championship with his net negative plays.


I figured the guy plays super hard...all he had to do was take pressure of Bron...make good decisions....get to the hole and finish, and occasionally hit a jumper. I was unaware that he makes horrible decisions (not bad, but horrible)....finishes at the rim 50% of the time and can't hit a jumper to save his life. It's actually a surprise when he hits one. And the worst part is the arrogance and "I dont give an F attitude." And lastly, if LeBron who actually plays and competed against him was sold on Russ then "why not" (as Russ would say).
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
dabask11
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 27 Dec 2012
Posts: 1652

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2022 1:30 pm    Post subject:

slavavov wrote:
dabask11 wrote:
slavavov wrote:


Trading for Lowry last season wouldn't have been smart either. We would've given up two or three young good role players for a guy who is 35/36 and is in decline. His numbers are down this season, his shooting % is lower than Westbrook's, and his 3-pt shooting % is almost as low as Westbrook's.



Getting Lowry would have costed only THT, KCP and DS.

THT isn't good. We let DS go for nothing. Only KCP was of value.

The lakers would still had Kuz and Harrell to trade. They also re-sign caruso to make up for THT's loss.

Despite Lowry's poor shooting numbers compared to his career, his TS% (.559) is still higher than westbrook's this season (.504).

More importantly Lowry would bring defense and stability at the point. He wouldn't make the same costly decisions/TO's by westbrook like with the kings last night.

The heat beat the suns, who had their full starting lineup, on the road by 20+ points with just Lowry/Hero. You think that happens with the Westbrook? Lol we got demolished by the suns at home despite having lebron.

Lowry's TS% is misleading because more than half of his shots are 3-pointers. Teams would've likely sagged off him the way they do with Westbrook.

At least with Westbrook we have a third scoring option. At this point of his career Lowry isn't that.

Our team is already too old. Lowry will soon turn 36 and he's been injury prone the last few years. Maybe if Lowry were the same age as Westbrook (32/33) it's a decent trade to make.

Plus there's the matter of whether he would've re-signed with us last summer.

I doubt we would've been much better with Lowry instead of Westbrook.


Even then, Lowry's TS% is still significantly higher than westbrook. Despite the numbers, Lowry has been a good shooter from 3 these past few years. He's not going to get the same disrespect as westbrook, who has proven time and time again leaving him open is a recipe for success.

There's a reason lowry won a champion in the one season he was paired up with a superstar while westbrook couldn't win one with durant. Being left open from 3 isn't the only issue with westbrook that causes teams to lose games.

The Lakers don't need a great 3rd option, they just needed a ball handler to take the load off lebron running the offense without being a liability. Lowry would provide solid decision making and you can be successful with a 3rd option by committee.

Our team is old either way, which is why you make sure the fit works from the get go. Westbrook's history and contract could have predicted many of the current issues the lakers face this season.

Lowry wanted 2/50 to the team that trades him. Lebron/AD would have had a good shot in convincing him to stay.

The heat are 26-15 right now despite missing either butler or adebayo for multiple games. The lakers would definitely be better than .500 with lowry's defense and decision making, especially when they had the easiest schedule in the league at that point.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Treble Clef
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 20 Nov 2012
Posts: 20339

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2022 1:41 pm    Post subject:

Threatt_Level wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
But alternatively, Lakers may have to consider trying to dissuade him from picking up that 47m option. I don't think Vogel benches him, but would he take him out of clutch situations?


Russ' agent won't allow him to decline that option. That would be malpractice on his part.


Yep, if he was in a position to sign a long term deal for more overall guaranteed money, it could happen but that isn’t the reality. No team is giving him 47 million for any number of seasons. He could only lose money by declining this option.

He isn’t as bad as some people are making him out to be and a lot of teams would still want his production but he’s at the point of his career where he’s more of a one year contract guy for probably 20-25% of his current salary. He HAS to take that 1 yr 47 million deal for next year and then he will get market appropriate deals for $5-$10 million after that.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
ThePageDude
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 25 Jul 2002
Posts: 1423

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2022 1:50 pm    Post subject:

Treble Clef wrote:

<snip>
He isn’t as bad as some people are making him out to be


This is all totally relative. The only relevant questions for the Lakers are:

- does he elevate the team to a championship level team?
- can he carry the team when one of the 2 stars is down? ("Carry" means lift the up from average to decent for playoff positioning)
- is his contract moveable? (If the experiment fails is it possible to cut losses and move on)

The answer to all of the above has been a resounding "NO".

Now if I were to instead ask the following questions:
- is he a net positive against some (but not all) teams?
- can he score triple doubles?
- can he attack the basket in a fashion comparable to or better than DS
- is he more impactful than DS? (or KCP .. or AC)
- ... many other questions

the answers range from yes to maybe. But as I indicate above, so what? The bar was never to be adequate, the bar was to vie for a championship.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Laker_Jocker
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 13 Jul 2004
Posts: 2224

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2022 1:52 pm    Post subject:

I will preface with I have always hated WB's game in that he is historically the weak in terms of winning basketball. That said, the trade was "meh" on its face because NEITHER what the Lakers gave nor what they got moves the needle towards a championship around an old record chasing LBJ and an always hurt AD.

So, if at that point, the overall thought by management (including klutch and LBJ) was that they didn't have enough to win as evidenced by the previous season AND the Lakers were unwilling/unable to spend for complementary pieces, buying a "name" like WB is perfect blame deflection for not fielding a competitive roster (better than getting Buddy Heild and keeping KCP but then still sucking). Especially, if LBJ was willing to admit he played a key role in getting WB. Upper management can't be faulted for giving the players what they "need" to be successful in their opinion, right? The upside of that strategy for the Lakers was that if the stars did all somehow magically align, Lakers get away with being cheap and competitive at the same time - best of both worlds....while being able to excuse losing/crappy basketball with "give them time"...

However, and not trying to make a conspiracy theory, but its not out of the realm of possibility that LBJ+AD+WB (as the actual players who determine wins and losses) basically look at this season as a "practice year" without saying it publicly. In other words, all three of them really don't care about the record or getting into playoffs this year. Maybe the intention is to mail it in this year, rack up some stats and quietly exit in the first round. Then, they would all try "for real" to get one last championship as LBJ and WB ride off passing the torch to AD to carry on their legacy!....

The alternative to either of the above explanations is that the entire organization including LBJ and AD is incompetent and actually thought this roster - allowing/encouraging/featuring LBJ at center for the sake of Westbrook - is actually a winning formula. I would have to think that management/coaches/players must know that WB has always been a mixed bag of star and bum....and that a roster full of short guys, most of whom are over 33 might be too slow to keep up with younger and taller opponents on a nightly basis. Seems relatively apparent to me....

In any event, it's not too much longer before the truth is going to come out in Wins and Losses, either they make a significant adjustment in the next month to put Ws on the board or keep pushing this WB adjusted roster concept and likely miss the playoffs. Warriors missed the playoffs last year with a winning percentage of .542 so if the Lakers don't get to 43-44 wins, they are in big trouble... By way of reference, they would need to go 26-14 from here to equal coming in 7th and first round exit of last year.....
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 12 Jul 2005
Posts: 26100

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2022 2:02 pm    Post subject:

Laker_Jocker wrote:
The alternative to either of the above explanations is that the entire organization including LBJ and AD is incompetent and actually thought this roster - allowing/encouraging/featuring LBJ at center for the sake of Westbrook - is actually a winning formula. I would have to think that management/coaches/players must know that WB has always been a mixed bag of star and bum....and that a roster full of short guys, most of whom are over 33 might be too slow to keep up with younger and taller opponents on a nightly basis. Seems relatively apparent to me....


First of all, Davis was supposed to be playing center, not Lebron.

Second, you underestimate the aura of Westbrook, his image, and all of those triple doubles. Before the season started, we were the second favorite (behind the Nets) to win the title on the betting line. We opened at #5 on NBA.com's power rankings even after we went 0-6 in the preseason. I thought the same thing you did, but an awful lot of people thought otherwise.
_________________
Internet Argument Resolved
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Nonamehero
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation


Joined: 31 Oct 2018
Posts: 231

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2022 2:15 pm    Post subject: Re: This season is over when we traded for Westbrook

activeverb wrote:
Nonamehero wrote:
I told you all.

Most were still in denial.

The worst is that not only this season is done, Westbrook trade set us up for failure probably for a long time.

Trade him for picks if you can now.

Lebron and AD are idiots for wanting Westbrook. Seriously getting Westbrook on the lakers almost (I said almost) nullify the fact Lebron got us a ring.
It was the worst nightmare that came true when I saw the news.

Thought it was a joke, no one is that stupid right?
Apparently our GM and star players all are.

Wizards probably laughed their ass off after they pull off the trade, and the fact they got a first round pick as well, this is probably the biggest robbery ever. Wizard would probably have gotten rid of Westbrook for just Kuzma if the salary allows it.

We trade all net positive assets for a net negative asset.

Lol

I mean someone would literally have to pay me to let me take Westbrook on my team unless my goal is to tank and be in the lottery.

And the fact we just exploited Westbrook weakness the last time we won a championship.

Westbrook biggest issue is lack of self awareness, I don’t even think he is lazy or doesn’t try. But the dude has zero IQ in self awareness.

He is just extremely tunnel visioned.

He cant even improve his jump shot.
He cant understand that he over dribble way too much
He doesn’t know he sucks at team defense
He cant understand the value of developing a off bad game.

He doesn’t know his own weakness and thus can’t never improve as a player.

He just keep doing the same things over and over again.

That’s probably what he practice as well (since he thinks that’s his strength)

Which is
Pounding the ball until the air is out
Driving wildly to the rim (he probably think that’s the only style he can play and he master it)
Shooting the ball with no proper shot mechanic or rhythm (he probably thinks only geek practice shot mechanic)

The dude relied on his physical gift for way too long and never can see his own weakness thus he never really improved overall skill wise as a basketball player.


I question why you think this post, which duplicates many thoughts already in the Westbrook and free agent threads, needed to be its own thread.

I don't have a problem with a "me too" post. But it's pretty egotistical to think your "me too" post deserves its own thread.


I have said in many posts right after the trade expressing the same sentimental at the time.

It was unpopular opinion at the time.

I think I deserve the right to express my frustrated feelings again in a separate post after being right.

I passionately hated this trade and I hate Westbrook as a player
.
I knew he was not a net positive player long long ago.

I am living my own nightmare right now knowing he is on the Lakers for already half a year now.

Let me at least vent please.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
lakersfever714
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 05 Jan 2016
Posts: 8140

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2022 2:23 pm    Post subject:

WORST TRADE EVER IN ALL OF SPORTS!!!

The WB trade canceled out all the pluses we've got from getting Lebron for free that actually catapulted a lotto team to NBA champs. Now we've given back all of those pluses so we're back to a lotto team.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Nonamehero
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation


Joined: 31 Oct 2018
Posts: 231

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2022 2:24 pm    Post subject:

King Randle wrote:
Nonamehero wrote:
King Randle wrote:
dcarter4kobe wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
I tried to cope with it but the fit issue was pretty apparent. We are likely stuck with him.

Sadly, the best course is to try our best to maximize what he can contribute. But alternatively, Lakers may have to consider trying to dissuade him from picking up that 47m option. I don't think Vogel benches him, but would he take him out of clutch situations?


Bad fit, age, contract. Incompetence


Well said...I was an advocate of the trade...wow buyers remorse 10x...never realized how pathetic he is and to compound it he's arrogant and doesn't hold himself accountable....just a lose, lose with this guy. It's incomprehensible how you can be in the league this long and shoot so poorly...not talking about 3's, just an easy pull up 15 footer. We definingly are stuck with him so the hope is Nunn will impress and Russ is benched down the stretch of close games. F-him.


Sorry that I have to jump on you.

But I just can’t fathom anyone being a advocate of the trade if they ever watched Westbrook play.

It was apparent in the earlier days of OKC that Wedtbrick probably cause Durant a championship with his net negative plays.


I figured the guy plays super hard...all he had to do was take pressure of Bron...make good decisions....get to the hole and finish, and occasionally hit a jumper. I was unaware that he makes horrible decisions (not bad, but horrible)....finishes at the rim 50% of the time and can't hit a jumper to save his life. It's actually a surprise when he hits one. And the worst part is the arrogance and "I dont give an F attitude." And lastly, if LeBron who actually plays and competed against him was sold on Russ then "why not" (as Russ would say).


It is not even about his abilities, it is about his attitude and zero self awareness. His own mindset is not positive for winning basketball, and I don’t even watch him all that much from before.

But stats can’t tell the full story.

Westbrook was never about winning.

From stats padding to stealing rebounds from teammates, and making boneheaded momentum swinging errors in the playoff.

The guy only cares about himself.
You can’t even say he is selfish.

I think he is handicapped mentally (not like stunted) but he is incapable to seeing the bigger picture or past his own plays. Like he is just built to be tunnel vision in everything he does on the basketball court

That’s the biggest issue.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Nonamehero
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation


Joined: 31 Oct 2018
Posts: 231

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2022 2:41 pm    Post subject:

Laker_Jocker wrote:
I will preface with I have always hated WB's game in that he is historically the weak in terms of winning basketball. That said, the trade was "meh" on its face because NEITHER what the Lakers gave nor what they got moves the needle towards a championship around an old record chasing LBJ and an always hurt AD.

So, if at that point, the overall thought by management (including klutch and LBJ) was that they didn't have enough to win as evidenced by the previous season AND the Lakers were unwilling/unable to spend for complementary pieces, buying a "name" like WB is perfect blame deflection for not fielding a competitive roster (better than getting Buddy Heild and keeping KCP but then still sucking). Especially, if LBJ was willing to admit he played a key role in getting WB. Upper management can't be faulted for giving the players what they "need" to be successful in their opinion, right? The upside of that strategy for the Lakers was that if the stars did all somehow magically align, Lakers get away with being cheap and competitive at the same time - best of both worlds....while being able to excuse losing/crappy basketball with "give them time"...

However, and not trying to make a conspiracy theory, but its not out of the realm of possibility that LBJ+AD+WB (as the actual players who determine wins and losses) basically look at this season as a "practice year" without saying it publicly. In other words, all three of them really don't care about the record or getting into playoffs this year. Maybe the intention is to mail it in this year, rack up some stats and quietly exit in the first round. Then, they would all try "for real" to get one last championship as LBJ and WB ride off passing the torch to AD to carry on their legacy!....

The alternative to either of the above explanations is that the entire organization including LBJ and AD is incompetent and actually thought this roster - allowing/encouraging/featuring LBJ at center for the sake of Westbrook - is actually a winning formula. I would have to think that management/coaches/players must know that WB has always been a mixed bag of star and bum....and that a roster full of short guys, most of whom are over 33 might be too slow to keep up with younger and taller opponents on a nightly basis. Seems relatively apparent to me....

In any event, it's not too much longer before the truth is going to come out in Wins and Losses, either they make a significant adjustment in the next month to put Ws on the board or keep pushing this WB adjusted roster concept and likely miss the playoffs. Warriors missed the playoffs last year with a winning percentage of .542 so if the Lakers don't get to 43-44 wins, they are in big trouble... By way of reference, they would need to go 26-14 from here to equal coming in 7th and first round exit of last year.....


What you actually said sounds pretty insane, but actually made me feel a tiny bit better.

Since that is the only reason I can fathom how we are where we are, I mean I am bewildered when the trade happened to now, I couldn't understand it other than just Lebron AD and Rob are all blind and stupid.

with that said, man, it sucks if that was Lebron mentality.

YOU ALWAYS GOT TO GIVE YOURSELF THE BEST CHANCE.

you just never know, look at last year playoff, Suns and Bucks both should have been knocked off before the finals. Yet other teams injuries helped them. Heck if we had more rest, and fully healthy, we would have probably won the championship last year. (we definitely were on our way to beat the Suns if AD didnt go down)

I understand the Nets are pretty much unbeatable at full strength, but stuff happens, Kyrie turned full weirdo mode this year, opportunities can open up.

and ALL other options makes us much more competitive, especially with the level Lebron is playing at.

AND FOR GODSAKE, why did we allow ourselves to get fleeced on this trade.

Washington would have taken a bag of potatoes for Westbrook if they could, why did we have to give up our first round PICK???? I thought I read it wrong when I saw it the first time. AT LEAST we should have demand multiple first rounds picks from them for taking Westbrook off their hands, and giving them serviceable players.

this organization is completely incompetent if thats what we are dealing with going forward.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4
Jump to:  

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum






Graphics by uberzev
© 1995-2018 LakersGround.net. All Rights Reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Use.
LakersGround is an unofficial news source serving the fan community since 1995.
We are in no way associated with the Los Angeles Lakers or the National Basketball Association.


Powered by phpBB