It’s Lebron’s fault
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RashardA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2021 6:21 am    Post subject:

lakersboy wrote:
When it comes to the Lakers, I don’t just enjoy the championship series, I’ve enjoyed the process. I enjoy seeing them succeed with West, Wilt, Goodrich, Kareem, MJ, Nixon, Coop, Wilkes, Landsberger, Worthy, Scott, Rambis, Vlade, Eldon, Van Exel, Ceballos, Eddie, Peeler, Shaq, Kobe, Fisher, Horry, Fox, George, Luke, Cook, Bynum, (young) Trevor, Pau, Lamar, & Artest. I liked anticipating the possible success of various Cinderella players like Goudelock. I hoped and watched for improvement from Randle, Dlo, Ingram, Zubac, Kuzma, Zo, Hart, Caruso, Bryant, & others.

Those days are over for a long time because assets have dried up like Death Valley. It’s weird to me how so many LG posters act like trading six 1st rd picks is no big deal (4 for AD, 1 for Dennis, 1 for Westbrook). Have you not seen the quality of potential players the Lakers could have had??? It’s like people have their heads in the sand when youngsters like Garland and Bane are lighting up the league. Meanwhile, we punted our talent about 1 yr too early, before they matured physically or by NBA standards. Many have done well enough in other uniforms to make those who rooted for them jealous.

This team is devoid of talent, assets, and necessary cap space, while a bunch of mercenaries wear Lakers jerseys. I just don’t care about Bazemore, WEllington, or old Ariza. They’re garbage, not championship material. Westbrook is in no way worth 3 players PLUS a 1st rd pick. This is a crap team and I could see it from day 1. AD admitted it umpteen games into the season, but I’m told it’s wise to wait until we get another short guard (Nunn) in the lineup to see if we can finally guard big guys effectively. (Eyeroll icon)

With no 1st rd picks, I’m forced to keep hoping for the next 2nd rd Isaac Bonga pipe dream to turn into Gilbert Arenas. Go ahead and be happy you won 2 seasons ago while the team sucks for the next 10 years/1820 games. AD couldn’t wait till free agency, and forced the teams hand which cost them dearly. Now he’s fat, happy, shooting poorly, complaining about his teammate’s inability, and has no bright future to look forward to in L.A. But hey, at least he won a ring once upon a time. I don’t even care if they lose anymore because the guys in Lakers jerseys this year are no more than a blip on the radar of Lakers’ history. Rob and player GM’s have ruined this squad and it’s suddenly worse than the Warriors, Suns, and even Clippers.

This team just sucks and isn’t enjoyable to watch. Thank you for blowing up the championship team and turning it into what we have today and into the distant future. I’m done caring about a losing team with no hope.

Could not have said it better myself.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2021 6:49 am    Post subject:

The team last year was not going to win a title with these circumstances, or be much better than a 4th or 5th seed. Sub out Westbrook and plug back KCP, Kuz, Trez, then do the Hield trade, and you're left with a roster that has no starting level point guard, some elite perimeter defenders and the entire offense reliant on Bron/AD. And then, AD like anticipated, suffers his injury, and what happens during the 30 games AD misses? What happens those 13 games Bron misses at the start of the season? Not like we were keeping Dennis, Dennis was a goner. People forget last year's .500 run without Bron had Dennis in it, who is an elite bench PG and maybe a starting level PG in some situations. Once the Hield trade is done, we maybe sign Nunn. And guess what, Nunn us hurt. No PG, no offense outside of Bron.

I think the only major difference in doing the Westbrook deal and not doing it in terms of where we stand is a few spots in the rankings. Can not say about the playoffs because I need to see AD/Bron/WB in a playoff setting (if we qualify after play ins).

I will say, I much prefer guys like we had last year, than Westbrook, just in terms of watching them play the game. A much more likeable 1st round team. This year's team isn't nearly as likeable. You could sense something was off when AD and Dwight had that fight. Right from the get go, there's been this stink. How do you get rid of it? IMO only one way out. Massive change (again). Got to get guys like Reaves, Bradley, etc. the minutes. Got to move the guys like DeAndre/Melo etc who just bring the team's identity down big time. If it takes moving Westbrook, so be it. But I think we can live with Westbrook's error prone game so long as there's a lot of active defenders around him like Bradley, Reaves etc. If we have AD in the middle, or Dwight, again that should suffice. It's just after Bradley, Reaves, AD, I trust literally no one else on this roster on a consistent basis around Bron/WB.

Yeah injuries have impacted the season big time, but the team should still be a bit better than this. I could have lived with 19-14 record. But 16-17? And the efforts we get at times? Just something about these players (I can identify the low motor guys - Melo, DAJ, Rondo etc). THT has clay, but his game has been disappointing as well.

Last edited by wolfpaclaker on Fri Dec 24, 2021 7:00 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
av3773
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2021 6:58 am    Post subject:

Yeah, because our team was so awesome when we had a number 7 and 2 number 2 picks….we have some really brain dead fans
cthroatgtr
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2021 7:05 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
The team last year was not going to win a title with these circumstances, or be much better than a 4th or 5th seed. Sub out Westbrook and plug back KCP, Kuz, Trez, then do the Hield trade, and you're left with a roster that has no starting level point guard, some elite perimeter defenders and the entire offense reliant on Bron/AD. And then, AD like anticipated, suffers his injury, and what happens during the 30 games AD misses? What happens those 13 games Bron misses at the start of the season? Not like we were keeping Dennis, Dennis was a goner. People forget last year's .500 run without Bron had Dennis in it, who is an elite bench PG and maybe a starting level PG in some situations. Once the Hield trade is done, we maybe sign Nunn. And guess what, Nunn us hurt. No PG, no offense outside of Bron.

I think the only major difference in doing the Westbrook deal and not doing it in terms of where we stand is a few spots in the rankings. Can not say about the playoffs because I need to see AD/Bron/WB in a playoff setting (if we qualify after play ins).

I will say, I much prefer guys like we had last year, than Westbrook, just in terms of watching them play the game. A much more likeable 1st round team. This year's team isn't nearly as likeable. You could sense something was off when AD and Dwight had that fight. Right from the get go, there's been this stink. How do you get rid of it? IMO only one way out. Massive change (again). Got to get guys like Reaves, Bradley, etc. the minutes. Got to move the guys like DeAndre/Melo etc who just bring the team's identity down big time. If it takes moving Westbrook, so be it. But I think we can live with Westbrook's error prone game so long as there's a lot of active defenders around him like Bradley, Reaves etc. If we have AD in the middle, or Dwight, again that should suffice. It's just after Bradley, Reaves, AD, I trust literally no one else on this roster on a consistent basis around Bron/WB.

Yeah injuries have impacted the season big time, but the team should still be a bit better than this. I could have lived with 19-14 record. But 16-17? And the efforts we get at times? Just something about these players (I can identify the low motor guys - Melo, DAJ, Rondo etc). THT has clay, but his game has been disappointing as well.

I am not sure the Hield deal makes sense. Why not just add Monk to last years roster, perhaps Melo and Ariza or Ellington as well. Bring back Dwight. Last years team needed health and shooting. Hield is paid too high as just a shooter he doesn't really defend either.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2021 7:18 am    Post subject:

I am not a big advocate the Hield trade, but we needed shooting and based on what we saw in the Suns series, shooting was an issue. So was a 3rd option, as KCP or Dennis being your 3rd guy was making your offense easier to defend.

My point is sure the team last year was better in the regular season than this year, but they did not face the same obstacles this year's team has faced in roster turnover, injuries, changes etc. If you make the Hield trade and keep most of the roster in tact, sure you are better today in the Ws-Ls. But by how much? Consider Bron missed 13 games. AD has missed already quite a few and is slated to miss 20 more at least. Now factor much more covid this year than last. How much better than 16-17 is the team? My guess would be we are better W-Ls wise but not at GST/PHX level, but probably a 4th or 5th ranked team in the West.

The playoffs argument. It's a good point that the team last year needed health from AD just like this year team would need. They were up 2-1 on the Suns until AD had the injuries. That is where I am most bummed about Westbrook. He was supposed to be that dude that took the weight of AD or Bron. Yet when Bron was out were like 5-7. Now with AD out, we are underwhelming as well. Westbrook is just not a player that tilts wins towards your team's side consistent enough, anymore. Obviously this is why many of us were against the trade. However, even in that, I did think with Westbrook we would be a much better team when it was just AD/WB or Bron/WB, than we actually have been.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2021 8:21 am    Post subject:

I don’t blame James. He is only one aspect of the problem. James is just being James. We all knew what to expect, even if some believed “this time will be different”.

There is plenty of blame to go around though. From the organization that signed James to start us down this path. To the fans and media that happily endorsed the move. And every questionable move that followed to support the “can’t waste James’ final years” mantra.

Most knew this was coming. They centered the plan around a 36 yr old and repeatedly shuffled the roster to provide the best chance “for him” to win to win. It looks like the bill is going to be paid this season. The Championship a fond memory.

This current roster is a mess. Too many entitled “stars” with warts that don’t fit together. Too many characters instead of “players” IMO. They are not playing well together and seemingly are not interested in putting in the work to change it.

This implosion was inevitable. Now we all have a front row seat to watch it.
AD23
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2021 8:34 am    Post subject:

LOL .... it's almost like you guys forgot that the Lakers "GUTTED" the team to land Shaq. Then dumped Van Exel, Eddie, and Seldom to win the ring.

I love this revisionist history.
lakers4life78
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2021 9:01 am    Post subject:

When the Lakers signed Lebron the young team was going to be gutted for a better chance at a ring. That happened for AD. Lakers got their title in 2020. So they got what they wanted from the Lebron addition.

But things broke their way that year and they got a healthy year from an old Lebron and AD. Since then they’ve just been cashing in any asset they have in an attempt at another ring with complete disregard to the principles of that 2020 team which besides health was defense and rebounding and 3 and D guys. The Westbrook trade was just throwing garbage on the wall and hoping it sticks.

The franchise will be in shambles when LeKlutch leaves this mess in 2023. Going to be a long road back.
€H£M£$TR¥
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2021 9:28 am    Post subject:

“I grew up a die hard… I mean a die hard Laker fan. And to spend twenty years here… I mean you can’t… YOU CANT WRITE SOMETHIN BETTER THAN THIS.”

- Kobe Bryant

We do not blame. We support our team.

RIDE OR DIE.
kwase
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2021 9:34 am    Post subject:

Well, at least I haven't heard "It's Vogel's fault" since he's been in quarantine. Someone said in their post-game interview that they miss him.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2021 9:35 am    Post subject:

Brawn13 wrote:
Lebron and AD played like top 5 players and didn’t miss time in 2020. That was the main reason for our success.

AD has yet to even play like a top 10 player since then and has missed a bunch of time. Lebron has missed tons of games last year and this year so far and his decline has taken him out of the top 5 IMO. That has been the main reason for our struggles past couple seasons.

Arguing about Westbrook vs Hield, Caruso, KCP etc wouldn’t have made that much of a difference. We’d be dropping games with hield and company right now (with Lebron and AD missing time like they have) then a bunch of folks would be screaming why we didn’t we pick up Westbrook to help carry the load.

Yes, that 8 game season after 4.5 months off was legendary.
daytripper
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2021 9:35 am    Post subject:

Say what you want about them dumping their 'roleplayers' but I guarantee they would have a better record this season if they made the Hield trade (Harrell/Kuzma was the rumored deal) and kept KCP, Caruso and their draft pick. They could've used part of their MLE to sign back Javale McGee too.
AD23
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2021 9:47 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Brawn13 wrote:
Lebron and AD played like top 5 players and didn’t miss time in 2020. That was the main reason for our success.

AD has yet to even play like a top 10 player since then and has missed a bunch of time. Lebron has missed tons of games last year and this year so far and his decline has taken him out of the top 5 IMO. That has been the main reason for our struggles past couple seasons.

Arguing about Westbrook vs Hield, Caruso, KCP etc wouldn’t have made that much of a difference. We’d be dropping games with hield and company right now (with Lebron and AD missing time like they have) then a bunch of folks would be screaming why we didn’t we pick up Westbrook to help carry the load.

I know it hurts you that it was the Clippers CHIP for the taking
PenG_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2021 10:02 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Brawn13 wrote:

Yeah not like we started 24-3 and were the commanding 1st seed before the shut down, but hey whatever juices the post count.
Brawn13
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2021 10:04 am    Post subject:

AD23 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Brawn13 wrote:

I know it hurts you that it was the Clippers CHIP for the taking

Ikr. CLIPSfan shouldn’t bring up the bubble because just as memorable as the Lakers winning was the Clippers (best team on paper that season) absolutely choking their asses off!!!

We handled business how we were supposed to. Not our fault all other title contenders couldn’t handle the pressure of the “bubble”
easybreeze
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2021 10:26 am    Post subject:

lakersboy wrote:
When it comes to the Lakers, I don’t just enjoy the championship series, I’ve enjoyed the process. I enjoy seeing them succeed with West, Wilt, Goodrich, Kareem, MJ, Nixon, Coop, Wilkes, Landsberger, Worthy, Scott, Rambis, Vlade, Eldon, Van Exel, Ceballos, Eddie, Peeler, Shaq, Kobe, Fisher, Horry, Fox, George, Luke, Cook, Bynum, (young) Trevor, Pau, Lamar, & Artest. I liked anticipating the possible success of various Cinderella players like Goudelock. I hoped and watched for improvement from Randle, Dlo, Ingram, Zubac, Kuzma, Zo, Hart, Caruso, Bryant, & others.

Those days are over for a long time because assets have dried up like Death Valley. It’s weird to me how so many LG posters act like trading six 1st rd picks is no big deal (4 for AD, 1 for Dennis, 1 for Westbrook). Have you not seen the quality of potential players the Lakers could have had??? It’s like people have their heads in the sand when youngsters like Garland and Bane are lighting up the league. Meanwhile, we punted our talent about 1 yr too early, before they matured physically or by NBA standards. Many have done well enough in other uniforms to make those who rooted for them jealous.

This team is devoid of talent, assets, and necessary cap space, while a bunch of mercenaries wear Lakers jerseys. I just don’t care about Bazemore, WEllington, or old Ariza. They’re garbage, not championship material. Westbrook is in no way worth 3 players PLUS a 1st rd pick. This is a crap team and I could see it from day 1. AD admitted it umpteen games into the season, but I’m told it’s wise to wait until we get another short guard (Nunn) in the lineup to see if we can finally guard big guys effectively. (Eyeroll icon)

With no 1st rd picks, I’m forced to keep hoping for the next 2nd rd Isaac Bonga pipe dream to turn into Gilbert Arenas. Go ahead and be happy you won 2 seasons ago while the team sucks for the next 10 years/1820 games. AD couldn’t wait till free agency, and forced the teams hand which cost them dearly. Now he’s fat, happy, shooting poorly, complaining about his teammate’s inability, and has no bright future to look forward to in L.A. But hey, at least he won a ring once upon a time. I don’t even care if they lose anymore because the guys in Lakers jerseys this year are no more than a blip on the radar of Lakers’ history. Rob and player GM’s have ruined this squad and it’s suddenly worse than the Warriors, Suns, and even Clippers.

This team just sucks and isn’t enjoyable to watch. Thank you for blowing up the championship team and turning it into what we have today and into the distant future. I’m done caring about a losing team with no hope.

I agree. This team is not a good product to watch, imho.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2021 10:36 am    Post subject:

lakers4life78 wrote:
The franchise will be in shambles when LeKlutch leaves this mess in 2023. Going to be a long road back.

This is what we signed up for. Got a chip out of it.

Riley and Gilbert both got sick of the LeKlutch program tbh.

This is what Klutch does…so this mess is LeGM’s fault and since AD is the #2 in the Klutch org, he deserves the blame too. Not only for personnel decisions but also for his on court performance where honestly most of the top end players would be embarrassed at themselves.

Steph, Giannis, Lebron, KD, Kawhi would never let themselves look like AD has this season.

Dwight is crazy, but I don’t think he was wrong when he got into it with AD that one game.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2021 10:54 am    Post subject:

lakersboy wrote:
When it comes to the Lakers, I don’t just enjoy the championship series, I’ve enjoyed the process. I enjoy seeing them succeed with West, Wilt, Goodrich, Kareem, MJ, Nixon, Coop, Wilkes, Landsberger, Worthy, Scott, Rambis, Vlade, Eldon, Van Exel, Ceballos, Eddie, Peeler, Shaq, Kobe, Fisher, Horry, Fox, George, Luke, Cook, Bynum, (young) Trevor, Pau, Lamar, & Artest.

I think Lakers fans idea of "the process" is signing a GOAT level free agent while quickly there after drafting a GOAT-level player (a la Kareem/Magic and Shaq/Kobe). I don't perceive this as a fanbase that enjoys rebuilding or watching players slowly maturate over a long period of time.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2021 11:10 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
lakersboy wrote:
When it comes to the Lakers, I don’t just enjoy the championship series, I’ve enjoyed the process. I enjoy seeing them succeed with West, Wilt, Goodrich, Kareem, MJ, Nixon, Coop, Wilkes, Landsberger, Worthy, Scott, Rambis, Vlade, Eldon, Van Exel, Ceballos, Eddie, Peeler, Shaq, Kobe, Fisher, Horry, Fox, George, Luke, Cook, Bynum, (young) Trevor, Pau, Lamar, & Artest.

I think Lakers fans idea of "the process" is signing a GOAT level free agent while quickly there after drafting a GOAT-level player (a la Kareem/Magic and Shaq/Kobe). I don't perceive this as a fanbase that enjoys rebuilding or watching players slowly maturate over a long period of time.

Yep. Rebuilding is something that happens to other teams. Since 2000, we've gone through this twice: 2005-2007 and 2012 to 2019. The fanbase lost its mind both times. I've said many times that the bubble title was the minimum acceptable result from the Lebron window and that, if we don't win another title in the Lebron window, Laker fans would look back on this period and shrug. There were people who insisted that I was wrong. Well, we're already beginning to see the shrugs.

For better or for worse, Jeanie and Pelinka are committed to that mindset. Maybe they can pull off another massive free agent signing. If they don't, the fan base will turn on them even more than it has so far.
Batguano
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2021 11:30 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
activeverb wrote:
lakersboy wrote:

Yep. Rebuilding is something that happens to other teams. Since 2000, we've gone through this twice: 2005-2007 and 2012 to 2019. The fanbase lost its mind both times. I've said many times that the bubble title was the minimum acceptable result from the Lebron window and that, if we don't win another title in the Lebron window, Laker fans would look back on this period and shrug. There were people who insisted that I was wrong. Well, we're already beginning to see the shrugs.

For better or for worse, Jeanie and Pelinka are committed to that mindset. Maybe they can pull off another massive free agent signing. If they don't, the fan base will turn on them even more than it has so far.

Sounds more like Lakers fan entitlement. Anyone who looks back at 1 championship in the LeBron/AD era with a shrug or as some sort of "underachievement" doesn't know their Lakers history very well since that's the same results we got in the West/Baylor/Wilt Era. which spanned nearly two decades (60's and the 70's).

Hell, LeBron in his prime, playing in the weak East, team-jumping multiple times barely won 3. If that's the case then the KD Warriors winning "only" 2 (and 3 overall) is a letdown. The Heatles winning "only" 2 is a letdown. And we could go on and on... Winning a championship is hard, and yet the Lakers have managed to do it more than any other franchise in the past 20 years, in the modern era, and have equalled the Celtics for most ever (while making 32 Finals to their 21).

In the league's 75 year history the Lakers have made the Finals 43% of the time and won the championship 23% of the time. Get a grip.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2021 12:35 pm    Post subject:

Batguano wrote:

Sounds more like Lakers fan entitlement. Anyone who looks back at 1 championship in the LeBron/AD era with a shrug or as some sort of "underachievement" doesn't know their Lakers history very well since that's the same results we got in the West/Baylor/Wilt Era. which spanned nearly two decades (60's and the 70's).

Lakers fans are entitled. People don't really care about the 60s and 70s.

A lot of people here think of the Lakers "standard" as the 6 rings won in 9 years during Showtime, and the 5 rings won in the 11 years from 2000-2010.

There are a good number of people here who think anything less than 3 titles every 10 years is failure.

I mean, we just won a title after a 10-year draught and fans are already complaining, "Is that all?"
MikeTrout
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2021 12:41 pm    Post subject:

Last season started a year ago today.

But apparently this season is already over for this team.
Batguano
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2021 12:44 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
Batguano wrote:

Lakers fans are entitled. People don't really care about the 60s and 70s.

A lot of people here think of the Lakers "standard" as the 6 rings won in 9 years during Showtime, and the 5 rings won in the 11 years from 2000-2010.

There are a good number of people here who think anything less than 3 titles every 10 years is failure.

I mean, we just won a title after a 10-year draught and fans are already complaining, "Is that all?"

You seem confident that you're speaking for the majority. I can't say that I agree. People are always going to overreact in the moment, but then look back at things with rose-tinted nostalgia glasses. BTW, they didn't win 6 rings during the Showtime era...
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2021 12:44 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:

I think Jeanie and Rob are doomed because of the expectations set by the success of Kareem, Magic, Shaq, and Kobe. We had close to a 35-years streak where we had one and often two GOAT level players leading us to 10 rings.

Given how the NBA is today, we will probably never see that level of sustained success again. If fans complain because all they managed to do is get Lebron and AD and win one ring, their chances of ever being seen as anything more than a disappointment are very small.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2021 12:47 pm    Post subject:

Batguano wrote:
Sounds more like Lakers fan entitlement.

This doesn’t make it any less real. If we fall short this year, we will have made the Finals once and won the title once in twelve years. That’s what Laker fans will perceive.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: