Can someone provide hope for the future?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2021 6:16 am    Post subject:

It all depends on the capspace.

How it is used. What assets are attained. Good value signings?
Can you draw in an all-star in his relative prime?
Is AD going to be able to play at an all-star level until his early 30s?

It will be challenging to sign a) good value signings in 10M range + b) sign an all-star + c) get AD to play an all-star level until early to mid 30s.

Investing in an offseason where you can give AD a stretch 5 that can anchor, so that he isn't mandated to play the 5 full time. This is an area we have ignored in the entite AD era. Gasol was ok, but like some of the dudes we signed this year, way past his prime and in decline. Would we use some money to get a rim protection stretch 5?

Westbrook is also a wild card. Would he sign for 15M? Would he stay home on a "discount"? Who is giving WB 30M? I can't see it. Maybe you can convince WB that he's no longer a superstar and at 40M he's negative value. But, at 15M, suddenly he's got significant asset value. What about Bron, would he take a 1 year 15M deal in 23-24? Probably not.

These are all things you'd have to look at. I don't predict rings, and I won't predict doom and gloom. What I will predict is we will aim for playoffs and contrinue to compete for a ring each year. This may piss people off, but the Lakers are like the Yankees. They don't go into the season thinking re-build, lets tank. Now with giving up so many picks, there is no option to re-build like that for at least 3 more years. So we need to spend the cap very wisely depending on what happens over the next year.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2021 6:53 am    Post subject:

In the entire free agency era, we have signed just two superstar free agents: Shaq and Lebron. Both of them were motivated in substantial part by a desire to get involved with Hollywood. Some people will say that signing two players of that magnitude is better than almost any other team. That’s true, but the point is that chasing superstar free agents is not a reliable method of team building. We’ve been spurned by actual or potential free agents many times, from the 2007 plan to the Kawhi Leonard plan.

So worrying about cap space misses the point. What matters is assembling assets to make a deal. We cleaned out the cupboard for Davis and then Westbrook. When Lebron and Westbrook eventually go off of the books, we can use that cap space to sign players, but those sorts of players are not typically prime trade assets. The value lies in younger players on favorable contracts, and Pelinka has not shown a talent for making those sorts of signings.

But we still have some time left in the Lebron window before we face the grim realities of rebuilding. We really need to find a way to get this roster clicking. We aren’t likely to pull off some miraculous trade that reverses our current fortunes. Lebron and Westbrook need to get it together.
laker50
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2021 7:11 am    Post subject:

The best hope for the future is to fire Pelinka or get him an associate manager.
It was Magic who brought Lebron in and Magic who set up the AD trade.
Rob did a good job the first year filling out the roll players.
Since than he has tried to fix what is not broken.
Now it is and can be fixed.

Rob was not nice to Magic.
He is arrogant and power hungry.
Killer_Z
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2021 9:26 am    Post subject:

Love the positivity.

My thoughts:

1) Winning a championship is so damn hard. Just ask all those franchises that have not won one in over 20 years, let alone ever. Dumping all our youth to do so will always be a win as a result of the 2020 title. Nothing can take away from that.

2) This year’s team is incredibly flawed, but there is still hope. We have yet to see what this team looks like with LBJ, AD, Russ, Nunn, THT, Monk, Reaves, Bradley, Ariza, Dwight and Melo all heathy in the lineup together. I want to specifically see these 11 players out there for a few games before passing judgment on the season.
LakerDYnasty72
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2021 10:51 am    Post subject:

laker50 wrote:
The best hope for the future is to fire Pelinka or get him an associate manager.

Your post is flat out unbalanced. It's tilted to allow Magic to shine and RP to take all the blame. Magic didn't "bring" LeBron. He made that decision on his own. Perhaps Magic had a bit to do with it, but he was not solely responsible.

Please don't conveniently forget that one of the reasons Magic turned on RP when he left was that he felt that he was being backstabbed. For what reason? Apparently RP was saying some negative things about Magic, which, of course, he shouldn't have, when Magic wasn't in the office. Which, iirc, was the reason for the negative comments.

While Magic was running his mouth about what they were doing, who do you think was in the office making it happen? Turns out Magic was hardly at the office, where RP was everyday working to connect the dots, dots that Magic surely lacked the capacity to do.

You want to blame?. RP has certainly made his mistakes, but he's also help bring us a championship.He worked the deal to get us a player that Boston wanted badly, had the resources to acquire, and blinked. RP (you can give Magic some credit too if you like) didn't blink. And I appreciate that. Bottom line is Magic ain't no freakin' saint in all this.
zambia
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2021 4:52 pm    Post subject:

LakerDYnasty72 wrote:
laker50 wrote:

Your post is flat out unbalanced. It's tilted to allow Magic to shine and RP to take all the blame. Magic didn't "bring" LeBron. He made that decision on his own. Perhaps Magic had a bit to do with it, but he was not solely responsible.

Please don't conveniently forget that one of the reasons Magic turned on RP when he left was that he felt that he was being backstabbed. For what reason? Apparently RP was saying some negative things about Magic, which, of course, he shouldn't have, when Magic wasn't in the office. Which, iirc, was the reason for the negative comments.

While Magic was running his mouth about what they were doing, who do you think was in the office making it happen? Turns out Magic was hardly at the office, where RP was everyday working to connect the dots, dots that Magic surely lacked the capacity to do.

You want to blame?. RP has certainly made his mistakes, but he's also help bring us a championship.He worked the deal to get us a player that Boston wanted badly, had the resources to acquire, and blinked. RP (you can give Magic some credit too if you like) didn't blink. And I appreciate that. Bottom line is Magic ain't no freakin' saint in all this.

Dell Demps was running his mouth during trade negotiations, and was fired after the season ended. Klutch and AD’s Dad set the table for Rob, and he still gave up too much in the AD trade.

Shaq also wanted to come to the Lakers. However people gave Jerry West all the credit for Shaq coming to the Lakers.
ThePageDude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2021 7:06 pm    Post subject:

zambia wrote:

<snip>

Shaq also wanted to come to the Lakers. However people gave Jerry West all the credit for Shaq coming to the Lakers.

Jerry West did play a major role in convincing Shaq to come over:
@SHAQ told me how Jerry West convinced him to come to LA.
nevitt_smrek
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2021 7:58 pm    Post subject:

Perhaps WB can be a good person and just retire instead of pretending to earn the money that he's entitled to?
KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2021 8:05 pm    Post subject:

Stanley Johnson is the future.
BandwagonLBJhopper
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2021 8:10 pm    Post subject:

We screwed ourselves trading away all of our good young players.

To me I would blow it up, not full out tank because we have no picks. But younger players and then hope to lure someone to play with AD.
Theseus
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2021 9:08 pm    Post subject:

We traded everyone away and the fanbase rejoiced. Remember that when we go to the barren cupboards looking for more.
BILBJH
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2021 10:29 pm    Post subject:

Get rid of LeGM... he's still a terrific player, but he ruins teams with his personnel decisions and he demoralizes the team because they know they all could be traded at any time.

Once the spectre of Klutch is gone... the Lakers will begin to rise again.

Might take a few years, but we always do.
alleyoop
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2021 11:05 pm    Post subject:

So we have a first in 2023, and in one year out of 2024/25 right?

If Pelinka is still around, I hope he realises we need to use those picks. Looking more and more like lottery selections at this point
#18 next...
miggz23
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2021 2:17 am    Post subject:

BILBJH wrote:
Get rid of LeGM... he's still a terrific player, but he ruins teams with his personnel decisions and he demoralizes the team because they know they all could be traded at any time.

Few years? You must have for forgot those 6+ years before Lebron signed here. If they feel like they could be traded anytime, why sign to play with Lebron in the first place?
blackmamba08
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2021 6:00 am    Post subject:

Only good thing is that Lebron has one more season alongside his friend RW. Seeing both leaving will be great.
DLaker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2021 6:21 am    Post subject:

THT needs to go, I feel his shot will come around and become a complete player, but we can’t wait for him. We need shooters or players willing to shoot and can hit open shots. RW will be tough to move. Our starting lineup need to have shooters to open the lane. My lineup for now will be, LBJ, RW, DH, Monk and Ellington. Once Avery and Ariza is clear to play Ellington to the bench.

We need to start benching players, there is no trust on the next guy will make the shot. Melo is guilty of this IMO. Every advantage we get on offense, seems to stall cause the next pass leads to another restart of the offense. LBJ showed last game what we need, movement with a purpose to score, drive and kick to shooters or a player open for a better shot. Dont drive and kick so another player that want to drive and kick. Feel bad for RW, but he just have no trust on his shot, he plays hard battling rebounds with the big boys, just a tough fit as a Laker.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2021 6:36 am    Post subject:

This won't provide too much hope, but I see some positive signs for Lebron at the 5. If Lebron has this kind of athleticism for a few more years, which I don't see why he can not, because it's not like he has the sort of speed that he had in his prime, when you put him at the 5 you basically have Jokic level of play.

You surround Bron with some athletic wings and guards and you can run those lineups a lot better. We already see with younger guys that are fringe NBA players going into this season how they thrive off Lebron/AD. Example, Reaves. Monk, and now Stanley Johnson.

If we make this roster a little younger around AD/Bron, we may get some competitive exciting play for a few years. We may even be able to save this season into respectability (not that it's a Lakers standard).

I know it is unlikely we go this route. However, lets say we realized the older role players are killing us out there. Lets cut them or move them to 3rd string and develop some quality role guys for the remainder of the season and next.

You have THT (21), Reaves (23) Monk (23), Stanley (25) Nunn (26).
That's five guys that if you put them around AD/Bron, you may get .500-.600 play, but you have potential to improve and get better going into next season. The real issue there is do you have cap/bird rights to keep them. Monk will cost some of the MLE, and Nunn would need to be convinced to stay on the MMLE deal he signed.

So that's a real option for the Lakers here. They have their "core" that's proven in AD/Bron. By moving Bron to the backup 5, you're now seeing Bron can perhaps extend his effectiveness a little. But we need young athletes around them.

What's the upside of playing Melo, Dwight, Rondo, Bradley even, Ellington, etc as they all likely are gone by summer. What's the upside of these role guys + AD/Bron? Maybe a 2nd round exit, at best it's looking like. So maybe you start to think about developing the role players around them, and you may be surprised at how quickly these guys fit in.

The role guys who seem to fit best are the younger ones with more athleticism who are fiesty. The only one who doesn't strike me as a good fit is THT, but if you took Westbrook out of the equation, I think THT's value is considerably more.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
PayasoLoco
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2021 8:24 am    Post subject:

meeks, robert kelly, sacre days ahead of us without getting picks as a prize of watching the trash product
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2021 8:36 am    Post subject:

PayasoLoco wrote:
meeks, robert kelly, sacre days ahead of us without getting picks as a prize of watching the trash product

R.Kelly was 3rd best player out of Duke that draft, u put some respect on Ryan's name!
BILBJH
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2021 8:44 am    Post subject:

miggz23 wrote:
BILBJH wrote:

Few years? You must have for forgot those 6+ years before Lebron signed here. If they feel like they could be traded anytime, why sign to play with Lebron in the first place?

The man greenlit both the Space Jam sequel and the Westbrook trade...

People still are under the delusion that Rob has more power than LBJ.

The six year plus dark ages was also prolonged by providing an aging star with a farewell tour.

At least that star won five championships for us and we are going to continue to do the same for this one?

Cut our losses and rebuild. Another LBJ stat padding farewell tour is not my idea of fun for the next five years.

I can enjoy young players finding their way to .500. Not this.
Sojo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2021 9:09 am    Post subject:

[quote="BILBJH"][quote="miggz23"]
BILBJH wrote:

Cut our losses and rebuild. Another LBJ stat padding farewell tour is not my idea of fun for the next five years.

Been a Laker fan 35 years but won't be watching till LeBron is gone (or at least watching like I once did). I gave the man a chance though I knew he was capable of doing what he has done but even before the bubble he couldn't help himself. 5 more years of LeBron (and most likely losing) would effectively terminate my support of the Lakers as a whole. Like you said, he doesn't deserve a farewell tour as a Laker with one chip (and while Kobe deserved his, I wasn't too happy with the results either). Say what you want but every 10 years the Lakers should be going deep into the postseason 5 of those years (and hopefully winning one or two) with MAYBE 4 years making the playoffs (1st and 2nd round) and 1 not. This team should never be compared to other teams and their performances. That is mediocre thinking and should never be a Laker mentality. Other owners are there just to make money, or have the clout of owning a team and couldn't care less about the team's performances. Maybe half a dozen wants a team that wins. We should always want to win (allowing for some restructuring after dynasties).

So my hope can come if the FO realizes they DON'T have to hitch their wagon to the remaining years of LBJ and actually get something for him instead of being fleeced by a player that doesn't deserve that kind of loyalty. I mean, give me a break, Kobe WAS Laker blood and even then we grumbled on this board about what he was given. How much more for a dude that's never shown the same kind of loyalty to a franchise and is actually diminishing his legacy the more he drags this on (I mean people are now starting to put Curry ahead of him, regardless of what you may think of him)_
BILBJH
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2021 9:19 am    Post subject:

[quote="Sojo"][quote="BILBJH"]
miggz23 wrote:
BILBJH wrote:

Been a Laker fan 35 years but won't be watching till LeBron is gone (or at least watching like I once did). I gave the man a chance though I knew he was capable of doing what he has done but even before the bubble he couldn't help himself. 5 more years of LeBron (and most likely losing) would effectively terminate my support of the Lakers as a whole. Like you said, he doesn't deserve a farewell tour as a Laker with one chip (and while Kobe deserved his, I wasn't too happy with the results either). Say what you want but every 10 years the Lakers should be going deep into the postseason 5 of those years (and hopefully winning one or two) with MAYBE 4 years making the playoffs (1st and 2nd round) and 1 not. This team should never be compared to other teams and their performances. That is mediocre thinking and should never be a Laker mentality. Other owners are there just to make money, or have the clout of owning a team and couldn't care less about the team's performances. Maybe half a dozen wants a team that wins. We should always want to win (allowing for some restructuring after dynasties).

So my hope can come if the FO realizes they DON'T have to hitch their wagon to the remaining years of LBJ and actually get something for him instead of being fleeced by a player that doesn't deserve that kind of loyalty. I mean, give me a break, Kobe WAS Laker blood and even then we grumbled on this board about what he was given. How much more for a dude that's never shown the same kind of loyalty to a franchise and is actually diminishing his legacy the more he drags this on (I mean people are now starting to put Curry ahead of him, regardless of what you may think of him)_

LBJ might be a better player than Curry... but not a better teammate.

I fell for his high assist rate in the same way I fell for Russ's at one point...

Oh, they get a lot of assists so they must be unselfish players.

LBJ could have used Russ to his advantage and rested more... but once I heard he was playing 35 minutes plus... I knew he was about stat padding this year.

Team's getting blown out... there goes LBJ, still playing trying to catch Kareem.

I feel the same way as you... if LBJ or Klutch ends up taking over the team or buying it... I'm done.

I've followed the Lakers for over 50 years and I can't bear to see this mercenary mentality overtake the team... trading our players like this is a video game.
PenG_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2021 9:21 am    Post subject:

[quote="Sojo"][quote="BILBJH"]
miggz23 wrote:
BILBJH wrote:

LMAO putting Curry ahead of him in what? Is Curry a better player than Lebron right now, yeah that could certainly be argued.

Last edited by PenG_ on Sun Dec 26, 2021 9:26 am; edited 1 time in total
PenG_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2021 9:25 am    Post subject:

[quote="BILBJH"][quote="Sojo"]
BILBJH wrote:
miggz23 wrote:
BILBJH wrote:

LBJ might be a better player than Curry... but not a better teammate.

I fell for his high assist rate in the same way I fell for Russ's at one point...

Oh, they get a lot of assists so they must be unselfish players.

LBJ could have used Russ to his advantage and rested more... but once I heard he was playing 35 minutes plus... I knew he was about stat padding this year.

Team's getting blown out... there goes LBJ, still playing trying to catch Kareem.

I feel the same way as you... if LBJ or Klutch ends up taking over the team or buying it... I'm done.

I've followed the Lakers for over 50 years and I can't bear to see this mercenary mentality overtake the team... trading our players like this is a video game.

So now efficient scoring and playmaking is "stat padding"? Do you listen to yourself sometimes?
Lebron has always impacted the game in a positive way. To assert otherwise is asinine.

Russ took the shots we want him to take last night (15 of his 20 at the rim), but he had a rough night finishing. But go ahead with your narratives....
BILBJH
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2021 9:26 am    Post subject:

[quote="PenG_"][quote="Sojo"]
BILBJH wrote:
miggz23 wrote:
BILBJH wrote:

LMAO putting Curry ahead oh him in what? Is Curry a better player than Lebron right now, yeah that could certainly be argued.

Curry is a more skilled player than LBJ.... but as size is an important component of success in sports like basketball or football, you cannot penalize LBJ for being so skilled at his size any more than you can penalize Shaq for being dominant.

But if Curry were LBJ's size, he'd be the better player by far... just like LBJ would be better than Shaq if he were his size.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4
Jump to: