Anyone else tired of the smugness?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RI Laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 7:01 am    Post subject:

The style of play and the antics are not enjoyable.
PenG_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 7:15 am    Post subject:

troy wrote:
PenG_ wrote:
troy wrote:
I know this isn't a popular opinion here in LG land, but it needs to be said...Lebron James is a horrible influence on this Lakers team. From his lazy-ass "coasting" effort to his "Godfather-like" control over the franchise to acting like a juvenile buffoon on the court, I am 100% sick of seeing his stupid face. I appreciate him bringing a Championship to LA, but he's worn out his welcome, especially in light of the professional personalities of some of our passed champions, like Kobe, Kareem and Magic. Even Shaq, who was a goofball, wasn't as much an offensive, arrogant A-hole as Lebron. I know Lebron is a Laker and I have to support him because of that, but I'm over Lebron James, and I wouldn't mind at all if he and "Bronny" took their circus act somewhere else.

When has a teammate said anything bad about Lebron?

Ex teammates? NBA players are not like middle school kids, so no one is gonna publically say bad stuff about another player. But we do know that quite a few current stars wouldn't come to the Lakers presumably because of Lebron's presence, and quite a few recent Lakers have been oddly shipped away, again presumably because of Lebron.

Beyond that, I don't need Lebron teammates, or the verification of NBA players to see what I see, and neither do Laker legends like Kareem. But I am biased. Honestly, I've never liked Lebron James, not since he was an entitled rookie, to his "take my talents to south beach" media sh*tshow, to his big balls moment in front of millions of children that admire him. Grateful to him, yes, for bringing me a title. At awe at him, yes, for his godlike physique and talent. Respectful of him, yes, for his social commentary on civil rights.

But I just don't like the guy.

Say the same thing when Kobe did it against the Spurs? That's a rhetorical question btw

We suck this year and it puts everyone in a bad mood. I don't remember all this talk when we were a bunch of goofballs in the 2019-20 season, but that's to be expected.
We're neither a good team nor fun to watch. I get it
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 7:34 am    Post subject:

Anyone not seeing this coming just never watched James and Co . over the years. Although, so far this season it has been more disappointing then even I saw coming.

This is how James hurricanes his way through an organization. Drama and asset consumption is his usual modus operandi by the time he moves on, except this time.

Westbrook being out of control and making bad decisions, go figure? Davis inconsistent and considered “soft” by professional athlete standards, no way! Then adding a knucklehead like Howard or a selfish professional scorer like Anthony to the mix because they are friends?

This was predictable from the day they signed James. Lakers got a ring and became relevant again. But make no mistake we are deep into the Retirement Tour phase of this little experiment. Not just for James either.

This roster annoyed the hell out of me before they even played a game. Watching such a veteran team play with so little intensity or respect for possessions is frustrating.

Closing in on 50 years of being a fan of the Lakers. Still love the Lakers, not as enamored with this current group wearing the jersey though.
Koalita
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 8:09 am    Post subject:

What's there to be happy about? Job's not finished
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 9:10 am    Post subject:

when you are seemingly untouchable nothing else matters. I assume he will start to play better.
lakersboy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 10:02 am    Post subject:

Four Decade Bandwagon wrote:
Anyone not seeing this coming just never watched James and Co . over the years. Although, so far this season it has been more disappointing then even I saw coming.

This is how James hurricanes his way through an organization. Drama and asset consumption is his usual modus operandi by the time he moves on, except this time.

Westbrook being out of control and making bad decisions, go figure? Davis inconsistent and considered “soft” by professional athlete standards, no way! Then adding a knucklehead like Howard or a selfish professional scorer like Anthony to the mix because they are friends?

This was predictable from the day they signed James. Lakers got a ring and became relevant again. But make no mistake we are deep into the Retirement Tour phase of this little experiment. Not just for James either.

This roster annoyed the hell out of me before they even played a game. Watching such a veteran team play with so little intensity or respect for possessions is frustrating.

Closing in on 50 years of being a fan of the Lakers. Still love the Lakers, not as enamored with this current group wearing the jersey though.
I expect that this will be a very poor year for jersey sales and the loss of revenue will be noticeable to someone counting profits. I personally barely identify with players on this team. This is the 1st team I ever didn't care if they lost. I despise the moves mgmt has made the last several years, and now the team is gutted and not enjoyable for me.
troy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 11:29 am    Post subject:

lakersboy wrote:

I expect that this will be a very poor year for jersey sales and the loss of revenue will be noticeable to someone counting profits. I personally barely identify with players on this team. This is the 1st team I ever didn't care if they lost. I despise the moves mgmt has made the last several years, and now the team is gutted and not enjoyable for me.

I'm in the same boat. What people aren't mentioning is how this current Lakers team is fulfilling some very unfortunate stereotypes of black men. You have a black man boasting and dancing while holding his crotch. You have a black man "crip walking". You have a black man being sorta lazy on the court. You have black men whining and complaining after every call. You have collective underachievement. These highly paid men need to understand that a part of their economic rewards is to carry themselves with some element of dignity, as they do represent the city of Los Angeles and fans around the world, including millions of children who see these guys as role models.

I do hope, and anticipate, that we will turn things around. But the truth is, we are a .500 team, and we have so many so called future hall of famers playing. I hope this will change, but so far, I'm just not liking this year's Lakers team at all.
Jordan-esque
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 11:45 am    Post subject:

Kobe has been doing the “big balls” celebration way before LeBron.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wmtpinMbGug

Westbrook has been doing that tip-off ritual in OKC.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=obapHzYkRw0

Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 11:46 am    Post subject:

Focusing on racial stereotypes? What an odd perspective to see or state when you watch this team underachieving.

To each his own, I guess.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 12:02 pm    Post subject:

Definitely one of the least enjoyable seasons.

Sometimes it’s better not to even tune in with the embarrassing efforts. It’s like they think just being on the court equals a win. No opponent is scared, especially when the team is full of old players who don’t have any interest in playing defense.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 12:48 pm    Post subject:

The biggest knock on LeBron’s GOAT case is the way he just leaves each organization in shambles afterward.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
troy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 12:51 pm    Post subject:

Jordan-esque wrote:

Westbrook has been doing that tip-off ritual in OKC.

Your point? Two wrongs don't make one right.
troy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 12:54 pm    Post subject:

Focusing on racial stereotypes? What an odd perspective to see or state when you watch this team underachieving.

To each his own, I guess.

Not focused, but it is apparent. Just like your take that Jeanie Buss sold her soul to the devil when they brought on Lebron. I sorta think that's a stretch, but I can see some validity to it.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 1:02 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:

The biggest knock on LeBron’s GOAT case is the way he just leaves each organization in shambles afterward.

I think that's ridiculous.

Before Lebron got to the Cavs, they were a 17-win team that hadn't got past the first round in a decade. He took them out of the shambles and led a weak group of teammates to the finals multiple times. Why is it his fault that that weak group of teammates floundered without him?

How did Lebron leave the Heat in "shambles"? They still had Wade and Bosh. A year after he left, they were a 48-win team. In six years, they were back in the finals.

When Lebron return to the Cavs, he transformed a 33-win team into a world champion. When he left, they had to reboot, but so what?

The Bucks sucked after Kareen left. Orlando went from a finals team to first-round fodder after Shaq left, and so did OKC after Durant left. The 76ers floundered when Wilt left. The Rockets went from a finals team to an 18-win team after Moses Malone left.

What exactly did Lebron do to these franchises, other than winning rings for them and then exercising his free agency rights that he had every right to exercise?

Last edited by activeverb on Tue Dec 07, 2021 1:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
TDRock
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 1:03 pm    Post subject:

In one of the recent game threads I think it was Sacramento that was the last time we won right? I've posted that I really like when guys seem to be having fun and they're celebrating on the bench and what have you but I thought maybe they should slow down a bit until they string some wins together LOL. It's a fine line to balance. When they're enjoying the game they obviously play better and are more engaged in what have you but One minute being down in the dumps about losing and the next minute acting like they're killing the league is a strange. I guess it just reflects the schizophrenia of the season.

I'm really tired of hearing the beat writers and I guess I mean Access Sportsnet is pretty much a Lakers hype station so what should I expect... But like last night listening to them talk about how teams always bring their best "because it's the Lakers, and Hollywood, and LeBron" is just so tired. There's lots of teams playing really fun way more enjoyable to watch basketball right now and oh they're winning lol.

I know Bill Oram rubs a lot of people the wrong way but I actually really like him and I'm glad they have like him and Kyle Goon and Brad Turner who will just tell the truth on what is actually happening and not just tell these fantasy versions that Mike Bresnahan and Trudell are talking about. Like dude yeah maybe we can pull it together in the second half of the season but let's not act like we're just steam rolling the league right now. I mean... I don't know they're just really bugging me whenever I watch the Laker shows right now.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 1:04 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:

but isn't that how it works? win championship then rebuild as oppose to being average? we are average at best now and its horrible. way worse than building, especially since we actually have talent.
Jordan-esque
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 1:09 pm    Post subject:

troy wrote:
Jordan-esque wrote:

Westbrook has been doing that tip-off ritual since OKC.

Your point? Two wrongs don't make one right.

Exactly. Just pointing it out. #donthavetobesosensitive
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 1:34 pm    Post subject:

The celebrations are nothing new. I think the Lakers have probably led the league in this stuff for each of the last 10 seasons. Nick Young, Jordan Clarkson, Robert Sacre, Metta, Lance Stephenson, D’Angelo Russell, Dwight Howard, Mo Wagner, LeBron, Westbrook, Drummond, Kuzma, Waiters, Randle, JR Smith etc.

Whether they’ve been the best team in the league or the worst team in the league, this has been a part of their game.
acer77
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 3:29 pm    Post subject:

Yeah, if they would stop all that, they'd immediately go on a 50 game winning streak. OMFG.... these so called Lakers fans are the most spoiled whiniest kids I ever did see.
RashardA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 3:44 pm    Post subject:

Least likeable Lakers team in a long time.

Beyond cocky for a team that hasnt accomplished a damn thing.
KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 3:47 pm    Post subject:

Yeah, it's called clown culture. I'm all for wacky and creative celebrations, but it's downright embarrassing when your record doesn't back it up. Kobe wouldn't have stood for any of it.

JamaalWilkes wrote:
I prefer players like Alex Caruso over the spoiled celebrity athletes.

Born and bred in the d-league. Most of those players know it's either overseas or a small chance at making it to the NBA, so they have to remain humble.
dabask11
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 3:55 pm    Post subject:

I wouldn't be worried if they hadn't shown they could display this kind of smugness during the worse times.

Why they acted smug with PHX in the last playoffs is baffling.
krisobe
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 4:17 pm    Post subject:

12-12 as of now.

This team looks like a 40-45 win team at the moment. When was the last time a team won less than 50 games won a ship? Lemme guess... 1995. 26 years ago. Odds aren't in our favor.

Houston Rockets went 47-35 and was the last team that didn't win 50 games to win the SHIP. 26 years ago.

Less celebrations and focus on winning. BE HUMBLE. Westbrook has all the antics in the past. Rock the baby, tip off jump ball etc... but what has he done in the playoffs? Dude needs to ELEVATE his game in playoffs before all the antics. I remember 4 seasons ago, WB averaged SIX (6) turnovers a game in the playoffs. SIX.

Last edited by krisobe on Tue Dec 07, 2021 4:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
krisobe
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 4:22 pm    Post subject:

This team is eerily similar to the 2012-2013 team. They finished 45-37. Finished 8th seed. 1st round knock out. BIG NAMES. Kobe, Nash, Dwight, Pau, Artest, Jamison.

Off Rtg: 107.8 (9th of 30) Def Rtg: 106.6 (20th of 30) Net Rtg: +1.2 (11th of 30)
KingKobe20
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 4:35 pm    Post subject:

Basketball has always been a game to bring out raw emotions. I get it majority of fans prefer the more humble approach. You can’t change players normal routines. At the end of the day they’re just out there having fun.

Winning cures all. Small possibility this topic does not come up if we weren’t dropping so many games 🙃🙃🙃🙃🙃
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: